GUILTY FL - Michael Brewer, 15, set ablaze by classmates, Deerfield Beach, 12 Oct 2009

Here's an update on lil bro - he was in court today for the burglary charges:

Ex-Burning Suspect Pleads Not Guilty In Burglary
Sep 8, 2010 12:05 pm US/Eastern

DEERFIELD BEACH (CBS4) custody in the brutal attack on Deerfield Beach teen Michael Brewer, pleaded not guilty to burglary and grand theft Wednesday in juvenile court.

Jeremy Jarvis, 14, arrested but never charged in the Brewer case, is accused of breaking into a Pompano Beach home on May 24th with another boy to steal a Nintendo Wii.

The boys were caught on a security camera and the homeowner recognized Jarvis as a 'family friend'. When Jarvis was questioned by Broward Sheriff's deputies he reportedly admitted to the break in.

**more at link**
http://cbs4.com/local/jeremy.jarvis.michael.2.1902078.html#addComments

Again, over a stupid video game. The should have kept his butt in jail the first time.

The youngest of five boys originally taken into

Michael Brewer will begin his Tuesday on national TV, appearing on the Today show to recall the horrific ordeal that changed his life.

It's the second time he has been to New York City, both trips courtesy of NBC's morning show.

The experience is a world away from his life before the Oct. 12, 2009, attack, in which the Deerfield Beach teen was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire by schoolmates.

On Monday, Brewer celebrated his 16th birthday -- a milestone that many doctors, friends and family members feared he would never reach after the majority of his body was covered with second- and third-degree burns.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/11/1868670/a-year-after-unthinkable-burning.html#ixzz128jT4B1W

I am watching right now! Michael looks so great and has buffed up a bit. He is so handsome! I am getting chillbumps listening to he and his family speak of their ordeal. God bless them!

wm

Burned teen turns 16, calls accused attackers 'jerks'

Wilton Manors, Florida (CNN) -- The birthday boy seemed a bit overwhelmed from the moment he walked in the door.
Michael Brewer came to his 16th birthday party at the Florida Senior Living community as its adopted grandson. He was shy, a little awkward, but, then again, not every birthday party comes with reporters and television cameras.

He's no longer in physical therapy, and he's no longer taking medication. He said he wants to go to college and hopes to be an FBI agent.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/12/florida.burned.boy.birthday/index.html?hpt=T2

Prayers for this amazing young man!

Michael Brewer sat in the back row of a Broward County courtroom Friday afternoon, flanked by his mother on one side and his father on the other. Brewer, 16, looked intently as one by one, the former friends accused of setting him on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot last year were brought in to face a judge.

It was the first time the four were in the same place since that horrific incident. It came during a hearing that some, including Brewer's family, thought would settle the case. Brewer, his parents and his grandmother each were prepared to address Broward Circuit Judge Jeffrey Levenson if the three defendants had pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted murder charges.

But those pleas never came. Instead, defense lawyers said they expect to be ready for trial early next year. Levenson said he expects to be transferred to another division before then, meaning the case will go to yet another judge. The last judge on the case, Carlos Rebollo, recused himself late last month.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...ewer-defendants-plea-20101022,0,2462600.story

Michael Brewer sat in the back row of a Broward County courtroom Friday afternoon, flanked by his mother on one side and his father on the other. Brewer, 16, looked intently as one by one, the former friends accused of setting him on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot last year were brought in to face a judge.

It was the first time the four were in the same place since that horrific incident. It came during a hearing that some, including Brewer's family, thought would settle the case. Brewer, his parents and his grandmother each were prepared to address Broward Circuit Judge Jeffrey Levenson if the three defendants had pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted murder charges.

But those pleas never came. Instead, defense lawyers said they expect to be ready for trial early next year. Levenson said he expects to be transferred to another division before then, meaning the case will go to yet another judge. The last judge on the case, Carlos Rebollo, recused himself late last month.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...ewer-defendants-plea-20101022,0,2462600.story

The reason the defense lawyers gave for not taking the plea agreement was that they weren't assured that the defendants would not be sentenced to an adult correctional facility. That' just ridiculous! One of the defendants is already 17. Should these guys spend the next 10-15 years with juveniles?

I hope when they go to trial, they end up with 25 to life. Anywhere in there would seem fair to me. They intentionally SET Michael on FIRE and watched him BURN. The only reason Michael is alive is that he was able to jump into a nearby pool. Luckily, Michael ONLY suffered burns covering 2/3 of his body, and ONLY had to spend two months in a burn unit. :shakehead: Bless that kid, I am so glad he is doing as good as he is. It's a testament to his strong character.

It truly, truly frightens me that people are willing to do such vicious things to other human beings. Why? Where does it stop? Who can stop it? Why would these kids consider it 'even steven' by lighting him on fire for a $40 dollar game. It just messes with my head.

These attackers go to trial in the next weeks. Each of the 3 boys get their own trial.
wptv article said:
Broward Circuit Judge Michael Robinson ordered separate trials for Matthew Bent, now 17, the accused ringleader reportedly angry over a $40 debt; Denver Jarvis, now 17, accused of pouring a flammable liquid on the victim at Bent's command; and Jesus Mendez, now 18, accused of taunting the victim by flicking a lighter and igniting the life-threatening blaze.

Mendez will be first to go to trial, with jury selection scheduled for Feb. 27. Bent will be next, starting March 12. Jarvis will go last, starting March 26. Each defendant has been charged with second-degree attempted murder, punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

Click link for more.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/trial-dates-set-in-michael-brewer-burning-case

Would there be a change of this one being featured on In Session?

Two teenagers accused of setting schoolmate Michael Brewer on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot more than two years ago pleaded no contest to second degree attempted murder Wednesday, throwing themselves on the mercy of a Broward judge instead of taking their chances with a jury.

A third defendant decided, apparently at the last minute, to take his case to trial as scheduled next month.

Jesus Mendez, 18, was promptly sentenced to 11 years in a Florida state prison, one year of community control and 18 years of probation. Co-defendant Denver Jarvis, 17, received an eight-year prison sentence, to be followed by one year of community control and 21 years of probation.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...r-mendez-guilty-plea-20120215,0,3338856.story

I came to post this update but see that Daisy was already on top of it.

So Bent has elected to go to trial? Oh well, sux to be him I guess. He will be sorry and get a lot more time than either of the other two. I saw on my local news that Michael was in court for this - he looks good. Thank the Lord.

Finally seeing justice for this horrible crime.

Hundreds of potential jurors will face the same set of questions when they report for duty at the Broward County courthouse on Thursday.

Have they heard of the burning of Deerfield Beach teenager Michael Brewer? Have they formed an opinion about the guilt or innocence of Matthew Bent, the schoolmate accused of leading the attack that left Brewer fighting for his life? Can they put their opinions aside and give Bent, 17, a fair trial?

The Broward State Attorney's Office, defense lawyers and the judge overseeing the case are anticipating a lengthy jury selection process beginning Thursday, continuing Friday and resuming a week later.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...-brewer-developments-20120527,0,3124806.story

Those boys who pleaded no contest sure didn't get as much prison time as they should have in my book. They should have gone away for a lot longer. Let's hope the ring leader is found guilty at trial and is sent to prison for a huge chunk of time!!!

Two teenagers accused of setting schoolmate Michael Brewer on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot more than two years ago pleaded no contest to second degree attempted murder Wednesday, throwing themselves on the mercy of a Broward judge instead of taking their chances with a jury.

A third defendant decided, apparently at the last minute, to take his case to trial as scheduled next month.

Jesus Mendez, 18, was promptly sentenced to 11 years in a Florida state prison, one year of community control and 18 years of probation. Co-defendant Denver Jarvis, 17, received an eight-year prison sentence, to be followed by one year of community control and 21 years of probation.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...r-mendez-guilty-plea-20120215,0,3338856.story

You're kidding me, eight years and eleven years for purposely setting someone on fire? Over a video game? That is not nearly enough considering the enormous amount of pain Michael obviously suffered. Burns are brutally painful plus he will have to live with the scars for the rest of his life. Ugh.

It's maddening to me. I'm sitting here in disbelief and fuming about the light sentence those attackers received!! I had to read it three times before it wanted to believe it! That's all? Like you said, Michael will suffer from that attack for the rest of his life!

I love that photo of Michael smiling with his family as they leave court. He grew into a handsome young man. Glad to see him get a little closure.

Jury selection begins tomorrow for Bent. They expect it to take almost two weeks to seat an impartial jury.

I would like to attend a day or two and just might once the trail gets underway. I have the time and am only 5 minutes from the courthouse. I know the other two are scheduled to testify. Those are the days I want to go.

We don't blame the victim at WS. That is not what we do here. There is nothing this kid could have done that would excuse or provide justification for his being set on fire.

NOTHING.

Also, if you alert a post, don't respond to it or everyone will be in trouble.

Thanks,

Salem

I really was hoping that somewhere during the trial, we'd get to hear what their true intent was in setting him on fire.

The defense's contention that it was purely an accident, an act of carelessness that wasn't intended to set him on fire but rather (I guess) make him stink of flammables and then that was that, and somehow unbeknownst to everyone and purely by accident of carelessness he came to be set on fire, is an affront to the court.

I would like to have heard a sincere apology, that included an explanation of what they actually intended the outcome to be, of purposely setting this boy on fire. My guess is they intended to terrify him, and hurt him a little, and make him run around in a panic.

But to depend it was unintended, to say it was purely an accident of carelessness almost comes across as contempt of court.

I do think, though, that the extremely long probationary terms these two boys have been given makes it almost inevitable that, as Michael himself says, they will "mess up" again.

salem said:
There is nothing this kid could have done that would excuse or provide justification for his being set on fire.

I see my entire post was deleted. I said in it that he didn't deserve to be lit on fire. That if you snitch that's what happens. Who you snitch on teaches you a lesson. And they did. I don't agree with how they went about it, but it happened, and here we are.

I do wonder what the response to it was though. Anyway.

jeanna said:
I really was hoping that somewhere during the trial, we'd get to hear what their true intent was in setting him on fire.

this article gives some insight into that, I think: http://www.chron.com/news/article/Defense-Fla-teen-never-plotted-burning-attack-3626896.php

Trial started yesterday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back