GUILTY PA - Dr. Melissa Ketunuti, 35, murdered in her Philly home, 21 Jan 2013

When I first saw the news, the first thought I had was, "This is just like the BTK Killer."

Jason Smith did not "snap" and just do this. This was a sexual crime.

Dennis Rader would (B) bind, (T) torture through strangulation, the torture was he would strangle them, then allow them to gain consciousness so that they would know they were being murdered and then (K) kill them through strangulation.

He was much like this killer in the fact that he did not actually have sexual contact with his victims, but would masterbate next to the victim. This was before DNA, so he left his semen next to their bodies. Luckily, the samples were collected and saved all those years.

He also had ropes around their necks and would bind them with very intricate knots. I am sure he was able to do this quite well since he was a Boy Scout Leader.

He was married May 22, 1971. His first killing was January 15, 1974, where he murdered four members of the Otero family. At the time, he thought only the mother and young daughter would be home, but her husband and young son were also there.

Rader and his wife were married 34 years. They were both very active in their church. He was a Deacon in their church. After he murdered his neighbor of 30 years, Marine Hedge, he took her body to that same church and took pictures of her in different bondage poses. He actually left a Boy Scout outing to go kill Marine Hedge and then return. His wife had no idea. She thought her husband was at a Boy Scout outing.

Rader said he used to read those detective type magazines as a young boy, the ones where the girl was tied up on the front cover.

He said his idol was Harvey Glatman. A serial killer in the 1950's, that posed as a magazine photographer. The models allowed Harvey Glatman to tie them up based on the ruse that he was shooting pictures for the cover of one of these detective magazines.

All three of these men were/are into bondage and the sexual relief it gives them when they murder their victim. Dennis Rader goes into great detail about the sexual relief it offered him.

I do not believe this is his first victim, nor do I believe it would have been his last.

Very in-ter-esting! I don't know if this was a sexual crime but I agree there was definitely malicious intent to harm/eradicate the victim. There have been no reports of semen found at the crime scene and according to LE, there was no sexual assault on Melissa.

I think JS' violent behaviors had been boiling and escalating for some time. I tend to believe he had acted violently in the past but just wasn't caught. As to whether he had murdered before, IDK. But I am pretty certain he had physically injured some person(s) in the past. I hope when they cross-reference all the unsolved cases of injured/maimed/dead victims -- likely all females since I think this lunatic is a misogynist with an inferiority complex -- they'll find that this murderer is the culprit.

I don't believe he killed because Melissa verbally insulted him. I think he distorted the truth in his own mind and to the police of what happened in order to provide a temporary insanity defense for himself and blame Melissa as the provocateur to his murdering actions.

The definition of murder has evolved over several centuries. Under most modern statutes in the United States, murder comes in four varieties: (1) intentional murder; (2) a killing that resulted from the intent to do serious bodily injury; (3) a killing that resulted from a depraved heart or extreme recklessness; and (4) murder committed by an Accomplice during the commission of, attempt of, or flight from certain felonies.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/First-degree+murder

Just wanted to say thank you for all the links to other cases, sleuthers. I'm going to be digging into non-fatal assaults as well this weekend, if I get time.

And Kensington.. funny how that place has come up in my digging for this case, over and again.. might be worth checking out some of those alternate family names Smith is associated with, over in that area. I am yet to find a concrete link, but if anyone can -- that'd be something.

I know if I had an appointment to meet an exterminator and he showed up I would have been fearful. I must say that the picture of him to me shows him to have a problem with some substance and I would be willing to bet that Melissa saw that as well. I do want to know what was said.

I was married to Jason Smith's brother, Seneca, for 3 1/2 years, and we were together a total of 6 years. It boggles my mind that the man who was the best man at my wedding has done this horrible thing. I've slept under the same roof as him. To be honest, as shocked as I am, I am not surprised. He has had issues for many years. I also would not be surprised if he becomes a real suspect in other crimes. I am pretty sure his juvie record is sealed, but I know he has one.

Welcome to Webslueths tmelliott14. So very sorry that it has to be under these circumstances. It must be awful for your family. We welcome your input

Can you tell us, has he always lived in the Levittown area?

Welcome T. I echo Gracelin and say I too am sorry it is under such horrific circumstances.

Glad that you are safe.

If it's O.K. to ask what is up with his Stockton area location?

And Kensington.. funny how that place has come up in my digging for this case, over and again..

It will, Aus. It's a high crime area rife with drugs and prostitution. Sadly, not alot of attention goes into the murder of women there. I mean the lady was found in broad daylight naked save for a shirt on a lawn or alley or whatever the real locale was. Nothing. Nada. Not a peep.

What's there to argue about during a normal exterminator visit? And speaking as a small woman myself, even if there was something I was displeased with, I can't imagine getting confrontational in my house when I'm alone with a service man - that would be very awkward and not safe.

I recently went crazy on an exterminator....Scenario was, new apt (never apt dweller) and the bugs were really bad. The pest control guy came and to me he was my savior. He thought it funny and told me how he would spray my apt, they'd (the bugs) run upstairs, then just come back down..that's how he keeps his job. Needless to say, my Jersey attitude let loose and he could have killed me. He left when my bf heard me hollering and came inside and said "dude, she will hurt you". I am 5'6" - 115...and stupid as it is, I have got into with a few service men over my years. I may think before I speak from now on.

I'm curious as to what type of defense this murdering lunatic, Jason Smith, will use.

Does anyone know what the difference is between murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter? And how does temporary insanity come into play?

According to the Pennsylvania statute, murder in the first degree is an intentional killing. The statute defines an intentional killing as "Killing by means of poison, or by lying in wait, or by any other kind of willful, deliberate and premeditated killing." Murder in the second degree is defined as a homicide committed by a principal or accomplice while perpetrating a felony.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.025.002.000.html

As for how temporary insanity comes into play under Pennsylvania law, I did a brief search on google but couldn't find any recent cases where the defense of temporary insanity was raised in Pennsylvania. Although I am a lawyer, I'm not licensed in the state of Pennsylvania, so I can't offer a legal opinion. However, I did find a definition online. According to law.com, "in a criminal prosecution, [temporary insanity is a] defense by the accused that he/she was briefly insane at the time the offense was committed and therefore was incapable of knowing the nature of his/her alleged criminal act."

http://dictionary.law.com/default.aspx?selected=2098

ETA: I forgot to add the definitions of voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. Here they are:

General rule.--A person who kills an individual without
lawful justification commits voluntary manslaughter if at the
time of the killing he is acting under a sudden and intense
passion resulting from serious provocation by:
(1) the individual killed; or
(2) another whom the actor endeavors to kill, but he
negligently or accidentally causes the death of the
individual killed.
(b) Unreasonable belief killing justifiable.--A person who
intentionally or knowingly kills an individual commits voluntary
manslaughter if at the time of the killing he believes the
circumstances to be such that, if they existed, would justify
the killing under Chapter 5 of this title (relating to general
principles of justification), but his belief is unreasonable.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.025.003.000.html

Involuntary manslaughter definition:

(a) General rule.--A person is guilty of involuntary
manslaughter when as a direct result of the doing of an unlawful
act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, or the doing of a
lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he causes
the death of another person.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.025.004.000.html

I was married to Jason Smith's brother, Seneca, for 3 1/2 years, and we were together a total of 6 years. It boggles my mind that the man who was the best man at my wedding has done this horrible thing. I've slept under the same roof as him. To be honest, as shocked as I am, I am not surprised. He has had issues for many years. I also would not be surprised if he becomes a real suspect in other crimes. I am pretty sure his juvie record is sealed, but I know he has one.

I keep wondering about his gf. I just can not imagine how awful this is for her. I hope she and son are doing okay. I am local. It is so disturbing on so many levels for me and I only lived near him. I can not imagine how you must feel.

Welcome to Websleuths, tmelliott14! And a big ((hug)) to you - this must have been shocking to the people who shared Smith's life.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind? And feel free to answer or not, it's all good. I'm just glad you joined up with us here!

- I'm very interested in areas outside out Lewittown where Smith may have lived either growing up or as an adult.

- How'd he treat his girlfriend and ex-wife? Was there respect there? Was he ever abusive?

- Was he kind to animals? Did he ever exhibit aggression or cruelty or neglect toward them?

- What vehicles was he known to drive? Did he borrow any on a regular basis?

- Did he ever go fishing/camping/away on his own?

- What was his relationship with his mother?

- Was he known for mood swings that lasted over time, like he'd be super irritable for a week or two, and then suddenly way more calm and relaxed?

Wow. Sorry, that's a lot. As I said, no pressure to have to answer all of 'em!

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/20...eals-new-details-on-suspect-in-doctors-murder

"The search warrant say detectives found three phone calls between Smith and Ketunuti in the days before the murder to set up an appointment for this past Monday. The warrant says he came to the house with tools and a plumber's torch to fix a low water pressure problem."

Ah, just as we thought! In the days preceding the actual face-to-face meeting, Smith likely looked up Ketunuti's profile info online. He likely was curious about Ketunuti and did an online search of her.

He likely discovered she was a doctor and saw her photos online. Maybe he even checked out her personal blog of travels. Maybe that was when he started developing those jealous feelings towards her accomplished life. That's probably how he knew her face on sight that Monday when he so quickly stalked her from behind once she went passed a certain street a few blocks from her home -- according to surveillance video in the news.

If he didn't have too many jobs the days before, maybe he even stalked her around in person for several days and knew she had a dog, etc.

I hope the police have surveillance videos of the several days prior to the Monday service appointment so they can check to see whether his van was driving about in her neighborhood.

This murderer is creepy to the max. I definitely believe there was premeditation on his part to stalk and potentially harm her.

So he was a jack of all trades? Not there to exterminate but as a plumber?

I think she hired him for extermination but he might have been trying to scam her into hiring him for other jobs such as plumbing -- sort of like how some sleazy car mechanics try to deceive female drivers into fixing things they don't need.

Maybe that's when she refused these extra nonsense services and stood up for herself. Maybe she said, "No thanks, I don't need these extra things done in my home", and he went postal because he needed the money so badly.

I think she hired him for extermination but he might have been trying to scam her into hiring him for other jobs such as plumbing -- sort of like how some sleazy car mechanics try to deceive female drivers into fixing things they don't need.

This makes sense. And then also it makes sense that she may have gotten annoyed with him.. Maybe over what he wanted to charge??

According to the Pennsylvania statute, murder in the first degree is an intentional killing. The statute defines an intentional killing as "Killing by means of poison, or by lying in wait, or by any other kind of willful, deliberate and premeditated killing." Murder in the second degree is defined as a homicide committed by a principal or accomplice while perpetrating a felony.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.025.002.000.html

As for how temporary insanity comes into play under Pennsylvania law, I did a brief search on google but couldn't find any recent cases where the defense of temporary insanity was raised in Pennsylvania. Although I am a lawyer, I'm not licensed in the state of Pennsylvania, so I can't offer a legal opinion. However, I did find a definition online. According to law.com, "in a criminal prosecution, [temporary insanity is a] defense by the accused that he/she was briefly insane at the time the offense was committed and therefore was incapable of knowing the nature of his/her alleged criminal act."

http://dictionary.law.com/default.aspx?selected=2098

ETA: I forgot to add the definitions of voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. Here they are:

General rule.--A person who kills an individual without
lawful justification commits voluntary manslaughter if at the
time of the killing he is acting under a sudden and intense
passion resulting from serious provocation by:
(1) the individual killed; or
(2) another whom the actor endeavors to kill, but he
negligently or accidentally causes the death of the
individual killed.
(b) Unreasonable belief killing justifiable.--A person who
intentionally or knowingly kills an individual commits voluntary
manslaughter if at the time of the killing he believes the
circumstances to be such that, if they existed, would justify
the killing under Chapter 5 of this title (relating to general
principles of justification), but his belief is unreasonable.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.025.003.000.html

Involuntary manslaughter definition:

(a) General rule.--A person is guilty of involuntary
manslaughter when as a direct result of the doing of an unlawful
act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, or the doing of a
lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he causes
the death of another person.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.025.004.000.html

Thank you so much for these legal definitions!

The way I see it, he and his lawyer will try to use the voluntary manslaughter defense. I think they will try to get away with 2b. That he acted with sudden intense passion but only under his unreasonable belief that she provoked him verbally.

I hope the state prosecutes him under murder one ("lying in wait, or by any other kind of willful, deliberate and premeditated killing" because that's precisely what he did. I hope they find evidence that he stalked her prior to Mon, online via his computer/Iphone, etc. and/or in person/by car, etc.) with the option for manslaughter.

Welcome to Websleuths, tmelliott14! And a big ((hug)) to you - this must have been shocking to the people who shared Smith's life.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind? And feel free to answer or not, it's all good. I'm just glad you joined up with us here!

- I'm very interested in areas outside out Lewittown where Smith may have lived either growing up or as an adult.

- How'd he treat his girlfriend and ex-wife? Was there respect there? Was he ever abusive?

- Was he kind to animals? Did he ever exhibit aggression or cruelty or neglect toward them?

- What vehicles was he known to drive? Did he borrow any on a regular basis?

- Did he ever go fishing/camping/away on his own?

- What was his relationship with his mother?

- Was he known for mood swings that lasted over time, like he'd be super irritable for a week or two, and then suddenly way more calm and relaxed?

Wow. Sorry, that's a lot. As I said, no pressure to have to answer all of 'em!

Excellent questions. I hope the sister-in-law answers them.

Ausgirl, what is the case that you mentioned you were deeply troubled by? Where did it occur and what happened?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back