UNSOLVED CA - Port Hueneme, LIVING HispFem 'Luxci', Sep'92

This is absolutely fascinating! I live near by and haven't heard about Luxci before. So interesting...

I'm really intrigued by this case.

She wears a single cultured pearl pendant on a gold chain and three rings on her left hand: a filigree silver ring with an onyx stone, a man's pewter school ring reading "Inst. Bancario Comm. Latino Americano," and a gold ring with white stones shaped in the letter S, which may have been the baby's initial.

This really stands out to me. I did a bit of Googling about her case and it seems that one hypothesis was that she was the victim of a human trafficking scheme, but in that case, I can't really imagine that they would have let her keep all those jewels.

I also think this means she had not been gone for long. I imagine that if you're wearing that much stuff on you it will attract attention and it might get stolen. Someone who had been living on the street for a long time would have been robbed. :moo:

Do we know where the mention about her having attended a wedding or baptism recently comes from? Was she wearing church clothes? Somehow I get the feeling that finding people related to her would not have been that hard based on that info, if she really had then they could contact nearby churches and see if there had been a wedding or baptism. I'm sure that the people in charge of inviting guests for either would remember her or her family or friends.

My own :twocents: : I think that a scenario where her caretakers died or she ran away and ended up getting lost is very possible. In this scenario she leaves the house where her family (caretakers and maybe her child also) lives, puts on her "best" dress and jewels given to her over the years and goes. Maybe she even took jewels from her family for money or just sentimental reasons. The whole plane thing makes me think that the move to the US had a strong impact on her. Maybe her parents died and she moved in with a sibling or another relative in the US, and wanted to go back to the place she considered her home. Reasons for leaving could be many... her caretakers die or are absent for a bit and she goes looking for them, she goes for a walk and gets lost, she's trying to get back to Mexico, she fell in with a bad crowd somehow (hence the meth found on her later), or finally, maybe one of her male relatives was abusive in some way or frightened her and she ran away as it says she's afraid of men.

I'm really intrigued by this case.

She wears a single cultured pearl pendant on a gold chain and three rings on her left hand: a filigree silver ring with an onyx stone, a man's pewter school ring reading "Inst. Bancario Comm. Latino Americano," and a gold ring with white stones shaped in the letter S, which may have been the baby's initial.

This really stands out to me. I did a bit of Googling about her case and it seems that one hypothesis was that she was the victim of a human trafficking scheme, but in that case, I can't really imagine that they would have let her keep all those jewels.

I also think this means she had not been gone for long. I imagine that if you're wearing that much stuff on you it will attract attention and it might get stolen. Someone who had been living on the street for a long time would have been robbed. :moo:

Do we know where the mention about her having attended a wedding or baptism recently comes from? Was she wearing church clothes? Somehow I get the feeling that finding people related to her would not have been that hard based on that info, if she really had then they could contact nearby churches and see if there had been a wedding or baptism. I'm sure that the people in charge of inviting guests for either would remember her or her family or friends.

My own :twocents: : I think that a scenario where her caretakers died or she ran away and ended up getting lost is very possible. In this scenario she leaves the house where her family (caretakers and maybe her child also) lives, puts on her "best" dress and jewels given to her over the years and goes. Maybe she even took jewels from her family for money or just sentimental reasons. The whole plane thing makes me think that the move to the US had a strong impact on her. Maybe her parents died and she moved in with a sibling or another relative in the US, and wanted to go back to the place she considered her home. Reasons for leaving could be many... her caretakers die or are absent for a bit and she goes looking for them, she goes for a walk and gets lost, she's trying to get back to Mexico, she fell in with a bad crowd somehow (hence the meth found on her later), or finally, maybe one of her male relatives was abusive in some way or frightened her and she ran away as it says she's afraid of men.

When I was speaking to the woman she used a word in spanish that I did not understand and I asked my mother. My mom told me that the word usually referred to coyote, which means people that help others cross the border. She said that the exact word she used usually meant that she had to go to the traffickers home first and family members pay the remainder or the fee and then would be released.

When I first talked to the woman she told me that she had recently wore a white dress, and pretty shoes. I saw that her nails were polished, they were chipped though, and I asked her about it and that is when she told me she wore the white dress. IIRC, she did tell me that she had worn a wig, and she kept petting her hair. I also remember when I wore my hair flat ironed straight one day, she told me I had a pretty wig and where did I buy it.

I just feel really sad that I was not able to identify her.

edited to add: I have so many things that I remember about her that I did not type up the first time. I called about 40 homeless shelters in Los Angeles/Long Beach and I remember one shelter in particular did say they had a Hispanic female that matched our woman, however she never had information on her either.

I even tried calling several psych hospitals in Los Angeles, they did tell me that if they had an unknown patient that they would be released to a homeless shelter and an APS report would be filed.

I, of course, tried to contact APS in several counties and they pretty much said it was not their problem.

From what we were able to gather one shelter in particular did not seem honest. I figured she was sent to our county from LA as she was found near a greyhound station.

She's older maybe than they think the unidentified woman is... and the doenetwork pages says she is a little taller... but what about Servia Lucia Faria Alves? The resemblance to her photo is passable and it would explain the S ring AND her thinking she is called Luxci. She's Brazilian and went missing in Washington, January 1992. I'm not sure where she would have picked up Mexican signs.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1010dfwa.html

She's older maybe than they think the unidentified woman is... and the doenetwork pages says she is a little taller... but what about Servia Lucia Faria Alves? The resemblance to her photo is passable and it would explain the S ring AND her thinking she is called Luxci. She's Brazilian and went missing in Washington, January 1992. I'm not sure where she would have picked up Mexican signs.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1010dfwa.html

That was actually one that I thought of but, we pretty much had nothing to compare to. We didn't know her age, they estimated the age to 40 to 60. Her prints came up completely clean, nothing in the system. Her face shape is similar too.

The name Luxia is not typically Spanish. Sounds more like Portugese or Basque.

Do you mean Lucia? If so I know many Hispanic women with that name.

If you meant Luxia/Luxci, I agree it looks weird. I had asked my mom about i remember she gave me a name of a place were it would be used but I don't remember what it was . I regret that I got rid of my notes I took.

Sent from my HP Touchpad

The name Luxia is not typically Spanish. Sounds more like Portugese or Basque.

My first thought was Galician, maybe also Basque. A Google search says it's used in France but that sounds really strange to me - maybe they're referring to a specific region/dialect. In both Portuguese and Spanish it would not have been spelled with an x but with a c.

However, Luxci used both an x and c. I wonder why. Maybe her parents just preferred a variant spelled with an x or xc, without necessarily speaking a language where that would be normal. It could also be that she didn't know or could not remember how to spell it correctly. I wonder if the lack of a (making it Luxci rather than Luxcia) could be a spelling mistake or something else - her given name, a reference to the name "Lucy", an attempt at a more American-sounding name. If she made a spelling mistake I think it would be helpful to figure out where she could be from that her name could be conceivably spelled with -xc- based on its sound, but really, it's also possible she didn't know the letters that well.

ana, it's really sad that the lady you know and Luxci haven't been identified. I hope both of them end up ok and with their families. I wonder if the lady you're talking about could have been using wig as a slang term, or if she was simply confused.

My first thought was Galician, maybe also Basque. A Google search says it's used in France but that sounds really strange to me - maybe they're referring to a specific region/dialect. In both Portuguese and Spanish it would not have been spelled with an x but with a c.

However, Luxci used both an x and c. I wonder why. Maybe her parents just preferred a variant spelled with an x or xc, without necessarily speaking a language where that would be normal. It could also be that she didn't know or could not remember how to spell it correctly. I wonder if the lack of a (making it Luxci rather than Luxcia) could be a spelling mistake or something else - her given name, a reference to the name "Lucy", an attempt at a more American-sounding name. If she made a spelling mistake I think it would be helpful to figure out where she could be from that her name could be conceivably spelled with -xc- based on its sound, but really, it's also possible she didn't know the letters that well.

ana, it's really sad that the lady you know and Luxci haven't been identified. I hope both of them end up ok and with their families. I wonder if the lady you're talking about could have been using wig as a slang term, or if she was simply confused.

BBM

Yeah the sound and spelling was really weird to me. Spanish is my primary language as is English, but I was taught a more relaxed version of Spanish. I know formal words but I don't speak formally in everyday conversation.

I knew when I was talking to her, some of the words/slang she used, I had never heard before. When I asked my mom about it she knew the words I was asking her about. My mom is from south west Mexico, so I initially didnt think out of Mexico.

I know there are some french mexicans out there, but usually their names are traditional mexican names.

I know the lady I was talking to was confused to a certain extent. I guess I will never know. I just hope they find some where to be safe.

BBM

Yeah the sound and spelling was really weird to me. Spanish is my primary language as is English, but I was taught a more relaxed version of Spanish. I know formal words but I don't speak formally in everyday conversation.

I knew when I was talking to her, some of the words/slang she used, I had never heard before. When I asked my mom about it she knew the words I was asking her about. My mom is from south west Mexico, so I initially didnt think out of Mexico.

I know there are some french mexicans out there, but usually their names are traditional mexican names.

I know the lady I was talking to was confused to a certain extent. I guess I will never know. I just hope they find some where to be safe.

I don't know much about immigration patterns and demographics in Mexico, but I wonder if it's possible that Luxci's family could have been Galician or maybe Basque in origin instead? Or if Luxci's family could have no connection to Mexico but be originally from one of those places. Some people in certain cities do speak both Galician and Castillian ("Spanish") or Basque and Castillian, so she could feasibly know Castillian despite her heritage. However iirc she knew only Mexican Sign Language. Is Mexican Sign Language very different from the one used for European Spanish?

If Luxci and the lady you spoke to are the same person, however, it sounds less likely that she'd have no ties to Mexico. The only variety of Spanish that I know is European Spanish BUT from what I've always heard there are several differences in more informal language such as slang, but specific regional characteristics. If you can still remember the words you asked your mother about, maybe that could help in ruling out specific areas and pinpointing a location.

I hope this post makes sense.

This case haunts me!!! I heard it when it first came out 20 years ago and now my thoughts have changed on it quite a bit. I think she was most likely a victim of sex trafficking. The fact that she had a receipt from a San Diego port and was found two hours north in the town of another port, was well groomed and appeared well cared for, was wary of men, claimed to have had a child whom was taken away, meth found in her possesion, last sighting appeared to have been beaten all point in the direction of sex trafficking. Her case reminds me somewhat of the young woman screaming in front of a high-end mexican hotel that was all over youtube a while back who everyone just dismissed as "crazy, drugged-out woman": Illuminati Mind Control Victim Breaks Free - YouTube where is that woman now? Her words, appearance and over-all break down indicates sex trafficking victim somehow broken free (if only momentarily). It's just so sad and I would love to know what happened to "Lucy" and if she got the care she so needed!

This case haunts me!!! I heard it when it first came out 20 years ago and now my thoughts have changed on it quite a bit. I think she was most likely a victim of sex trafficking. The fact that she had a receipt from a San Diego port and was found two hours north in the town of another port, was well groomed and appeared well cared for, was wary of men, claimed to have had a child whom was taken away, meth found in her possesion, last sighting appeared to have been beaten all point in the direction of sex trafficking. Her case reminds me somewhat of the young woman screaming in front of a high-end mexican hotel that was all over youtube a while back who everyone just dismissed as "crazy, drugged-out woman": Illuminati Mind Control Victim Breaks Free - YouTube where is that woman now? Her words, appearance and over-all break down indicates sex trafficking victim somehow broken free (if only momentarily). It's just so sad and I would love to know what happened to "Lucy" and if she got the care she so needed!

Interesting insight...I appreciate you posting.

Hello,

This is a case that made me discover WS.

A few years ago I was asked to try and identify a hispanic woman that did not speak english and had no identification. I don't know if I could provide info on what context I met her in...

I searched missing persons bulletins everywhere, everyday for about 3 months and came up with nothing. Her fingerprints were not on file and we had her checked out with local LE and she had no prints in the system.

I spoke with this woman and was able to spend time with her for about 3 months. The first two months I spoke to her, she would just look at me and smile while I talked and asked her questions and she would not respond. During the third month, I went to speak to her and was surprised to hear her say, "I remember you" in spanish. I was totally surprised, as she had not spoken to me before.

I was able to gather quite a bit of information from her. However, all the information she was giving me was outdated.

I was able to gather that she had some sort of run in with immigration (she was very afraid of LE), she had a son that lived in long beach and she also told me that something had happened to her baby.

I felt very sad that her family was not with her. She also told me where the son worked and gave me a street name, but the business had closed in early 2000. I printed google maps, and I removed the street names and she was able to tell me street names for main roads in the norwalk and long beach areas.

The way she spoke was a little bit odd, she spoke in very short, quiet sentences and her spanish dialect was different from what I was used to hearing.

Also the way she would answer questions was a bit off. I would ask her where she lived and she smiled and said "Where they make the coffee" "You know the good one". The next day I would ask her and she would show me a carnation flower.

I was determined to figure this lady out, sadly the only good information that did pan out as verified, was that she was living in a shelter called carnations (or something similar), go figure (in mexico sometimes they use nescafe red carnation condensed milk for coffee). She was giving me the information but I did not understand her.

There were many things she said that were consistent, she was adamant that she just had a baby yet, she looked like she was late 40s early 50s, she said something happened to her baby. She never identified the sex of the baby though. When she was being fingerprinted by a LE, she looked very scared and kept telling me they would call immigration on her. She mentioned a chicken farm, and some type of violent incident there, but I was not able to get more info on that.

She was eventually sent to a shelter, with no verified identity. I felt so, so bad when she left. I still check, hoping someone would report her missing.

When I ran across this Luxci and saw her picture I felt like the woman I spoke to was luxci. When I initially spoke to her she said her name was martha lucia, but she pronounced it lux -e-ah, with an emphasis on the x.

Does anyone have any new information about Luxci??

Wow - thank you for the update.

MUTE WOMAN WAITS FOR NEW PLACEMENT
Oct 31 1992
LA Times

Oxnard shelter officials seeking to identify a mysterious woman who communicates only in sign language said they have referred her to a Ventura home for the developmentally disabled.

The woman needs more supervision than the shelter can provide, said Carol Roberg, associate director of the Women's Lighthouse shelter.

The Women's Lighthouse took the young Latina in after Port Hueneme police found her dancing on a Ventura Road traffic island late last month.

The woman was unable to speak and appeared to be deaf, communicating in hand signs that belonged to no established language for the deaf, according to a battery of interpreters who worked with her for several days.

Shelter officials eventually learned her name was Lucy, but could not find out where she belonged.

Then, when a popped balloon caused the woman to jump, shelter officials ordered electronic audiology tests that found her to have perfect hearing.

On Oct. 18, shelter officials turned her over to the Ventura County Mental Health Department for evaluation.

A doctor there ruled that she may be mildly mentally retarded and, while she hears, her brain may not be able to process the sounds.

-

Or she's an incredible con artist. :twocents:

I live in a predominantly French community. I think it's a disservice to assume she's Hispanic. She could easily be Italian, French, even Irish or a multi-national mixture of the sort.

Why don't they do a DNA test on her? Run it through the crime labs see if she's related to anyone?

Basing all this research on the name Luxci or Lux ceah or whatever when the name itself actually came from a woman who pretended not to hear but could hear perfectly? Hmmmm... Her name could be ANYTHING. I wouldn't spend too much time on trying to figure that out.

I smell fish in Denmark.

Not only that, so much for 'experts'.

The 'experts' who initially examined her determined she was COMPLETELY DEAF and put her on Supplemental Social Security.

Then, something so simple as a balloon popping and we find out she can hear perfectly.

Yeah.

But I'm suppose to believe everything the 'experts' ever utter.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back