CA - Two women & 3 children found murdered, Bakersfield, 6 July 2003

One of the most notorious convicted murderers in Kern County history arrived at San Quentin Prison on Monday.

Vincent Brothers was convicted of killing his wife, Joanie Harper; their three children, Marques, Lyndsey and Marshall; and Joanie Harper’s mother, Earnestine.

His family was found dead on July 8, 2003. Brothers was arrested in April 2004.
During Brothers' recent sentencing, the Superior Court judge in the case denied life in prison without the possibility of parole.

A few minutes before Brothers' death sentence was upheld, a mistrial in the case was also denied.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/14254104/detail.html

Good! He is exactly where he needs to be! Wonder how Scotty feels about the competition? :p

Wrongful death suit against Vincent Brothers ends in settlement

But one of the four plaintiffs reached Wednesday said the settlement is not about the plaintiffs getting money from Brothers.

“We just wanted to make sure he wasn’t allowed to get anything from Joanie,” said Elain Byrd, the sister of Joanie Harper, one of the victims.

“If anything comes from him, we just think his daughter should have it,” she said.

On the day Brothers was sentenced to death, his only surviving child, Margaret Kern, disowned her father, saying she was no longer a Brothers and would no longer use his name.

Byrd said Kern is now a successful college student in San Diego.

“She’s doing very, very well,” Byrd said.

http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/481218.html

Although I’m certain this case has been discussed previously, I’m new here and I also just became familiar with the case after it was recently featured on a network crime show.

I am very conservative and very much favor “law and order.” I also adamantly favor capital punishment for all premeditated murders and murders committed during the course of a felony, such as robbery, burglary, kidnapping or a sexual assault. Nevertheless, watching the program I found this case disturbing. I must confess that had I been on the jury in this case that, at least based upon the facts and evidence presented on the show, I would have been hard pressed to convict Mr. Brothers let alone agree to the death penalty.

I was surprised the DA even brought the case to trial with the seemingly little evidence she had had for fear of an acquittal that would have prohibited future criminal prosecution in the event stronger evidence later emerged. She had neither eyewitness evidence nor any forensic evidence placing Mr. Brothers at the scene of the crime in Bakersfield.

Mr. Brothers was alleged to have driven from Ohio to Bakersfield and immediately back after having committed the horrendous crimes. At least according to the defense, considering the time span involved, the defendant would have had to have averaged seventy miles per hour.

If true, it seems that Mr. Brothers had been a bold man indeed, a man willing to gamble all on factors he had very limited control over. If he would have been stopped by the police for any reason, a broken taillight, not to mention speeding or an accident, anywhere near California (and considerably farther east than that), such would have constituted the final nail in his coffin once the murders came to light. (If he had been stopped and ticketed on the way to California, he could have aborted his plan.)

The case is currently in appeals.

I don’t know. I just find so many aspects of this case troubling. Perhaps there is more to the story than what the program presented. Does anyone have any thoughts?

He was seen by a neighbor boy (who was illegally drinking at the time) the night of the murders using the garden hose. I didn't see the show, but I live in Bakersfield and followed the case in the papers. Did the show say that he was dating several women at the time, that he told them he had no kids and was divorced? His wife was going to leave him, according to relatives, and Brothers just didn't want to pay child support. Also, there was extensive etomology (?) forensics (the bugs in the grill of the rental car) presented. He also said that he couldn't have been here, he got into a car wreck in Ohio that day...Absolutely no record of this accident, no other person, no other car. One of his relatives (uncle/cousin) had to be placed under arrest here in order to make him testify against Brothers. His uncle (from Ohio) testified that Brothers came to visit on the spur of the moment, and had rarely ever visited him in the past. Lots of circumstantial evidence...Just can't recall it now.

I too thought this case had room for doubt, the entomology in my mind was a little weak. I am a little hazy on the details after all this time, can someone pull up the case links so we can discuss? PMLsmom ... I am ninety miles west of you so the case was on my radar too :wink:

In regard to the alleged eyewitness to Brothers’s presence, I did not even hear him mentioned on the program. However, I read elsewhere that he lacked credibility both because of the drinking and the length of time he had waited to come forward.

In regard to the insect evidence on the car’s grill, the defense countered by asking the insect expert if it were possible for such bugs to be found in the East by having been inadvertently transported by vehicles such as trucks. She acknowledged that possibility.

In regard to the accident, I was most confused on this point. The (very minor) accident Brothers referred to by way of an alibi did occur, which the prosecution did not deny. Brothers said that a boy on a bike suddenly approached his car. Brothers said he had been able to come to a full stop but the boy continued on and hit him, not visa versa.

The program stated that it was thought that the final nail in Brothers’s coffin had been when the prosecution produced a man who said it was he and not Brothers who had been involved in that accident. I didn’t hear what the explanation was as to how Brothers had even known about the accident to use as a bogus alibi. As I said, I was very confused by this aspect of the testimony. Perhaps I hadn’t been paying attention closely enough.

The greatest area of doubt in my mind was the defense’s assertion that in order for Brothers to have driven back and forth across country in the time span necessary for him to have committed the crimes he would have had to have averaged seventy miles per hour. When one factors in the need for stops, at least to get gas, and possible traffic jams at spots, it seems incredible, exactly as the defense claimed. The television presentation didn’t, or at least that I heard, say what the prosecution’s rebuttal was to this. That is, did they argue it was possible to average seventy miles per hour? Or did they argue that the seventy miles per hour average requirement alleged by the defense’s experts was exaggerated?

These unanswered questions in my mind is why I posted my note. I admit that Brothers seems the only likely suspect.

I’ve never been picked for a jury, but I imagine it can be a tough position at certain times. According to our law, a juror is bound to acquit if there is reasonable doubt even if he or she feels that the defendant is indeed guilty but that the prosecution has simply failed to prove its case. Who wants to let a murderer, let alone a mass murder as in this case, walk?

But there is a reason why we have this standard for conviction. It just might save an innocent man or woman from being convicted. As it has been said: “Better ten guilty people go free than one innocent person be condemned.”

This case was admittedly tough.

As an addendum to points I made in my last post, I wanted to say that I have long favored the introduction of a third type of verdict in criminal cases. In addition to guilty and not guilty verdicts, I think the jury should have the option of voting “not proven.” A not proven verdict would have the same effect as a hung jury, but rather than it reflecting indecisiveness on a jury's part it would be a positive opinion that although the evidence presented against the defendant was strong enough to convince them that there is a likelihood that he or she is guilty, the prosecution failed to sufficiently overcome the reasonable doubt threshold for a conviction.

In every criminal case against a particular defendant, only one “not proven” verdict would be permitted. If the prosecution decides to try the case again and fails to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, then a not guilty verdict would be mandated. The double jeopardy prohibition would be maintained in cases of an acquittal.

If we had such an option, perhaps some high profile acquittals in cases where most believe the accused was guilty would not have occurred.

I live near the area/city in which the murder took place. I did not see the Dateline program...I'd like to. But, there was a huge family mess involved. His wife, Joanie, was off and on with him. His MIL, ERnestine was a "mouthy" local activist..she and Vincent were mortal enemies. The kids were innocent. This guy was a local elementary school VP and slept with everyone at every school and then some. I know, being a cad doesn't make him a murderer. He almost got away with it...it was on the front page of the newspaper FOREVER and I just got bored with the case. The prosecutor, Lisa Green, is the best in town and will no doubt run unapposed for DA next year. Vincent Brothers carefully planned and premeditated these murders. He has a teenage daughter by a first marriage. She disowned him, dropped her surname, and made very clear that she hated him for killing her step family. It was very dramatic. Truly, a sleazy story when you sat here in the front rows.

I know murderers and sociopaths come in all shapes and sizes, but I really did not want to believe that someone who worked with children in a school setting like that, could murder his own. It's so disturbing, especially that little baby boy. Thanks for the local scoop hallowedbe.

Very smarmy story. I don't understand why Joanie put up with him or why so many others were willing to be so played by him. I did not see nuttin in him that did anything for me!!!!!! I'm so glad that pig got caught! I'm a little north of where it happened and while it was going on I couldn't even follow it as I was so sickened. I can watch the endless reruns of it now if for nothing but to rejoice in his demise! The !

I know, being a cad doesn't make him a murderer.

Snipped as it's what I want to reply to. I am not saying this to you in particular hallowedbe but to everyone in general who uses the above phrase or something similar. I always like to add this:

Neither does being a cad (adulterer, rapist, robber, etc.) mean he didn't also murder.

I just have never understood that statement and it rings so pointless to me.

Snipped as it's what I want to reply to. I am not saying this to you in particular hallowedbe but to everyone in general who uses the above phrase or something similar. I always like to add this:

Neither does being a cad (adulterer, rapist, robber, etc.) mean he didn't also murder.

I just have never understood that statement and it rings so pointless to me.
You know where I got that, don't you? Mark Geragos - that was his major defense of Scott Peterson. I am with you on this one, Sal.

Yes, hallowedbe I shonuf remember where that line was first used and abused. And I also made a point of writing a letter to the local paper during the Peterson trial (I live in Modesto) saying what I said above. I talk to people all the time who never take that stupid remark a step further and realize there's the other side to that saying. AARRRGGGGHHHH!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back