MS MS - Hattiesburg, WhtMale 22-28, UP4746, hit by car, 'Steve Hex (Hicks)', red hair/freckles, Dec'98

I'll go ahead and change this back to unidentified since the link to doenetwork still shows he is unidentified. In the future, PLEASE send a pm to a mod regarding any changes which need to be addressed by a mod. with the hundreds of thousands of posts here, it is likely a post will not be seen by a mod, so we ask you please send to us via pm. Thank you!

I haven't done any research or posting on this case, but a big thank you , Cubby!
:sleuth:

What about Fred Charles Moseley
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3334dmtx.html

His coloring is almost right, his height is right, and those of his features that wouldn't be messed around by a head injury look somewhat similar. His age is almost right if they are talking about when he died, not when he sustained his injury. Maybe he walked off from his car intending to kill himself and then had last minute doubts and decided that the problem wasn't himself so much as his home/town/religious school/friends/family and it would be better to leave it all behind instead and live rough until he turned 18 and couldn't be forced back? The real stumbling block is that Fred had a large birthmark and the John Doe had no identifying marks, but maybe during the accident he sustained a grazing injury to the area of the birthmark that confused matters a bit?

Does anyone know if this guy was also paralyzed from the accident? The has a collar for a tracheotomy tube in the pictures on NCMA. After thinking maybe that was just for when he was on a ventilator.

Also, the accident was in 1998 but he died over two years later. In the pics on NCMA his eyes are open.. is he alive in those pics? Cause I wonder how bad his injury was. Was he in a assisted living place? Was he awake and could he communicate with other people or was he in a coma? Maybe he told the people where ever he was a clue to who he was, but they didn't know that's what he meant...

As for his hair, I don't consider that color to be 'red'. It looks brown in the pics, it might have some red in it, but if I was reporting someone as missing I'd give the hair color as brown w/ maybe a mention of red highlights.

Does anyone know if this guy was also paralyzed from the accident? The has a collar for a tracheotomy tube in the pictures on NCMA. After thinking maybe that was just for when he was on a ventilator.

Also, the accident was in 1998 but he died over two years later. In the pics on NCMA his eyes are open.. is he alive in those pics? Cause I wonder how bad his injury was. Was he in a assisted living place? Was he awake and could he communicate with other people or was he in a coma?

The man was in a persistent vegetative state (i.e., a state of being awake, but not aware), and yes, he was in an assisted living facility.

Maybe he told the people where ever he was a clue to who he was, but they didn't know that's what he meant...

Immediately after being hit, he made a few vague comments to paramedics that his name was Steven Hicks, and that he may have come from West Virginia, but he was unable to communicate anything meaningful thereafter. Of course, we don't know how lucid he was when he made those comments.

I thought that maybe he was unable to pronounce his true last name, and on that premise, I looked for people named Steve or Steven with last names starting with "H", and came across Steven Harbaugh.

Here are a couple of additional photos of the John Doe.
2671879300045078242S200x200Q85.jpg
2533105430045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

there is a WM UID found on December 12, 1998 in Adams County, MS. details are rather sparse. was noted to be the victim of a hit and run accident. they were however, able to get his hair and eye color but no dental information.

Only demographic info is that the UID was a white male, about 5'10", 175 lbs with auburn hair and blue eyes. no other identifying features noted and the ME was unable to provide an age estimate. (truly bizarre in my book)

https://identifyus.org/cases/4746

there is a man, Michael Shane Gordon, missing from McKenzie Alabama on March 6, 1998. Michael was noted to be 5'8", 170 lbs with blue eyes. was believed to be in the company of a friend when he disappeared.

Charley Project describes hair as red:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gordon_michael.html

State of Alabama describes hair as auburn or red:

http://dps.alabama.gov/Community/Pa...ype=0&ID=9f70c140-1921-44f7-abc6-62bcd6387ac6

Namus describes hair as red/auburn with emphasis on his hair being dark:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2332/16/

Per Namus there were no identifying features such as tattoos or the like.

the combination of auburn hair and blue eyes is uncommon with only 31 missing men in Namus with both (spanning all time periodss). the time frame between Gordon's disappearance and the UID's death works (just 9 months) and while Adams County, MS is where Natchez is on the Mississippi, the two states are next to one another.

I wonder about STeven Needham, he did disappear 4 years earlier from a mental hospital, but the height weight are similar. I think they look alike as well.
Missing Since: October 26, 1994 from Bellevue, King County, Washington
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: January 20, 1970
Height: 5'10-6'0"
Weight: 145-160 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics:
Medical Conditions: Suffers from schizophrenia and alcoholism

MOre info: http://www.nampn.org/cases/needham_steven.html
http://doenetwork.org/cases/1351dmwa.html

the UID was said to have had hazel eyes and Needham had blue eyes.

Well, Daniel Ryan looks similar, but no mention of a scar on The unidentified male. Taken from identifyus.org
Case Report - NamUs MP # 741
Case Information
Status Missing
First name Daniel
Middle name Gerard
Last name Ryan
Nickname/Alias Dan, Dave
Date LKA August 15, 1998 04:00
Date entered 12/12/2008
Age LKA 24 to years old
Age now 38 years old
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Height (inches) 70.0 to 72.0
Weight (pounds) 175.0 to 195.0
Circumstances
City Bronx
State New York
Zip code
County Bronx
Circumstances Unknown. Daniel was last seen at Bill & Bob's Sports Bar on the corner of East 235th St. on White Plains Rd. in Bronx, NY. He left the bar at approximately 4:00am in the morning by himself.

Physical
Hair color Blond/Strawberry
Head hair Blond, sometimes described as light red to sandy blond; Daniel wore his hair long and pulled back into a ponytail at the time he disappeared.
Body hair
Facial hair Daniel may have had a goatee at the time he disappeared
Left eye color Green
Right eye color Green
Eye description Daniel's eyes are sometimes described as hazel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No known distinctive body features
Distinctive features as described below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amputations
Deformities
Scars and marks Scar on abdomen from chest to navel, small scar by left eye.
Tattoos
Piercings
Artificial body parts
and aids
Finger and toe nails
Other distinctive
physical characteristics

Medical
Foreign objects
Skeletal information

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing and accessories are unknown
Clothing and accessories are described below

Clothing Daniel was last seen wearing a beige "Marlboro" baseball cap, a black long sleeved shirt with thin white stripes on the arms, and blue jeans
Footwear Daniel was last seen wearing black athletic shoes

Maybe his name isnt Steve Hicks or Steve Hix. Maybe he was trying to say his name is Steve and he is from Hix, WV or he was on his way to Hix, WV? There is a Hix, West Virginia and it's in Summers County WV and there is also a Hix, WV located in MCDowell County West Virginia.

On namus no one has been ruled out. He's went from unidentified to supposedly identified, back to unidentified. That seems odd to me. I think he resembles Robert Kovach myself. Wondering if perhaps he was trying to give the name of the perp.

He claimed his name was Steven Hex (likely Hicks) and was from West Virginia. He died in 2002. I assume he was in a "slow" state from 1998 on. I would have said "vegetative" but that pic makes it look like he is moving at least.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/649umms.html

So, what happened to this case? Really isn't much info out there.

Hicks is a pretty common name, here in Kentucky and West Virginia. If that helps any.

I lived in Hattiesburg for the first 23 years of my life. This exit ramp (northbound on I59 from 49N) is the lesser used ramp in that cloverleaf. The noticeable thing to be about the area near that ramp is that there was a Greyhound bus stop. It was near a Krystals restaurant. The other things located there are a large, new at the time convention center, a hotel, gas station, Cracker Barrel, and a Uhaul place. Up that ramp on the interstate is nothing. There are woods, the Bouie River, and interstate. The next exit is 3 miles away...a lower income residential area. This accident happened on a Tuesday. I got married the previous Saturday in a church only 6 or 7 miles from the site. I never heard anything about it, and I worked at a local hospital at the time.
I would be interested in ledgers from that Greyhound bus station that arrived that day. Was this guy on it and then hitching to his next destination?
Also, they said he mentioned his name was Steven Hicks. Could he have meant Steve Nicks? A musical reference? Stevie Nicks?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back