GUILTY ID - Robert Manwill, 8, Boise, 24 July 2009 - #6

Forensic pathologist: Manwill died from trauma to head, abdomen

It is day two of testimony in the trial of Daniel Ehrlick, the man accused of murdering his girlfriend's son, 8-year-old Robert Manwill, nearly two years ago.

[snip]

In court this morning there was more testimony from a canal expert who talked about how easily accessible the New York Canal is near Vista Avenue.

The second witness today is a county forensic pathologist. He was called to the canal when Manwill's body was found, and performed the autopsy.

More: http://www.ktvb.com/news/crime/Fore...ed-from-trauma-to-head-abdomen-122173309.html

Thanks for the Twitter link, Idaho-native! And it's good to see you back.

Justice for Robert!

Thank you for the welcome back! As expected I wish it was on better terms. Its so unfortunate that this is the kind of thing that brings us all together. This took a toll on the community when it happened and is taking a toll on the community now. I know the list of possible witnesses it very long. My brother has been going through a divorce and I have talked to him pretty regular, but until this trial actually started and today for that matter I didn't even think to find out if he has been contacted to if my niece will have to testify. When all this happened the media had her name all over the place and she only turned 9 a week ago. I really hope this little girl does not have to go through this trial.

A few years ago and I don't know if this ever made websleuths or not, but there was a teenage boy here in Boise named Tyler Hanscom that stabbed his mom multiple times because he had a psychiatric disorder that was pretty new. He lived across the street from the family and was very close to them. She went through knowing him and seeing him change and the trauma of this kid who used to babysit her suddenly stab his mother then a year or so later this with Robert Manwill and just in December her parents separate. There are so many children that are victims everywhere. Anyways I know this was off topic and I apologize.

This trial really is going to stir the community up again. Thanks for the twitter link.. I was just reading through the tweets and found this one:

KTVBJamieGrey Jamie Grey
Ehrlick told detective Manwill had choices in how he was punished, and he sometimes chose being hit with a stick.

Really? If that is true, what were his other choices? How awful they must have been that a 9 year old would choose being hit with a stick. That poor little guy.

IdahoNative: I don't think I know you but If your niece is who I think she is, I believe your nephew is in my daughters class and I believe my husband knows your brother! What a small world..

One of our local news reporters is in the courtroom and going to be tweeting during the trial. I've never been one to tweet or knew anything about it, but click on this link and you can read her updates throughout the day. http://twitter.com/#!/KTVBJamieGrey

Thank you for the twitter link. Although the details are very disturbing, I want to follow this case until the end.

Gawd I hope DE fries, what a disgusting piece of crap he is.

Every time I see Robert's picture it makes me cry. What a sweet looking little boy. How could the mother of such an angel let this happen to him? This is just sad. Thanks for the updates.

This trial really is going to stir the community up again. Thanks for the twitter link.. I was just reading through the tweets and found this one:

KTVBJamieGrey Jamie Grey
Ehrlick told detective Manwill had choices in how he was punished, and he sometimes chose being hit with a stick.

Really? If that is true, what were his other choices? How awful they must have been that a 9 year old would choose being hit with a stick. That poor little guy.

IdahoNative: I don't think I know you but If your niece is who I think she is, I believe your nephew is in my daughters class and I believe my husband knows your brother! What a small world..

I have found it is a very small world. If you live in the apartments then you probably know my brother and his family. They just recently moved out, but lived there for a long time.

I do agree that if the child chose being hit with a stick then what must the other choices have been. They mentioned again I think yesterday how or I think I heard something about how when health and welfare did welfare checks they hid him in the closet. I had heard that before, but for the life of me I cant imagine why H&W didn't insist on seeing the child since they were there doing a welfare check because of precious abuse.

We don't live in the apartments. I will send you a pm so I'm not hijacking the thread.

I am more appalled that MJ was allowed to have any unsupervised visitation given her past. For me, that is the HUGE mistake that H&W made.

I have found it is a very small world. If you live in the apartments then you probably know my brother and his family. They just recently moved out, but lived there for a long time.

I do agree that if the child chose being hit with a stick then what must the other choices have been. They mentioned again I think yesterday how or I think I heard something about how when health and welfare did welfare checks they hid him in the closet. I had heard that before, but for the life of me I cant imagine why H&W didn't insist on seeing the child since they were there doing a welfare check because of precious abuse.

This was a tweet that I read last night when I was going over yesterdays tweets and I was so thrown off. I can't imagine how the people in the court room felt.

Jamie Grey
@KTVBJamieGrey Jamie Grey
Awkward court moment - Defender said "I don't want to beat this to death". Detective on stand said "I can't believe you just said that."

Defense attorney said he wasn't referring to Manwill and did not intend to offend anyone.

We don't live in the apartments. I will send you a pm so I'm not hijacking the thread.

I am more appalled that MJ was allowed to have any unsupervised visitation given her past. For me, that is the HUGE mistake that H&W made.

cv1964, FYI.. I believe you cannot send pm's until you have posted a minimum of 50 posts. If you go to the gameroom & play a game you can get your 50 posts!

This was a tweet that I read last night when I was going over yesterdays tweets and I was so thrown off. I can't imagine how the people in the court room felt.

Jamie Grey
Awkward court moment - Defender said "I don't want to beat this to death". Detective on stand said "I can't believe you just said that."

Defense attorney said he wasn't referring to Manwill and did not intend to offend anyone.

I saw that tweet when it came through yesterday & my jaw about hit the floor. What a horrible thing to say, accidentally or not. That man really needs to think before he speaks.

I saw that tweet when it came through yesterday & my jaw about hit the floor. What a horrible thing to say, accidentally or not. That man really needs to think before he speaks.
I can't even believe it was accident. I know there are two attorneys for DE and I don't know what one said it. I cant imagine for the life of me an experienced death case attorney would make a slip like that. That is a prosecution kind of move when they are trying to make a point. Not the defense attorney!! My first thought was is he so careless and did he make that slip because he himself is having a hard time defending the DE and is doing it because its assigned to him and he has no choice. IDK... I just know its normally the opposite team that makes jabs and pokes. It just caught me off guard all the way around for many reasons.

As I hear more about this it does make me wonder how much more the mother actually had to do with this then we all thought. She got off as just covering up the murder and pleaded out. This should be an interesting 5 weeks or 4 weeks remaining.

I can't even believe it was accident. I know there are two attorneys for DE and I don't know what one said it. I cant imagine for the life of me an experienced death case attorney would make a slip like that. That is a prosecution kind of move when they are trying to make a point. Not the defense attorney!! My first thought was is he so careless and did he make that slip because he himself is having a hard time defending the DE and is doing it because its assigned to him and he has no choice. IDK... I just know its normally the opposite team that makes jabs and pokes. It just caught me off guard all the way around for many reasons.

As I hear more about this it does make me wonder how much more the mother actually had to do with this then we all thought. She got off as just covering up the murder and pleaded out. This should be an interesting 5 weeks or 4 weeks remaining.

I agree with your entire post.

A graphic week of testimony in Daniel Ehrlick trial

Anyone expecting a clear idea of what happened to 8-year-old Robert Manwill in July 2009 had to be disappointed by the first week of testimony in the trial of Daniel Ehrlick, the man accused of killing him.

Scientific testimony showed just how badly Robert Manwill was injured — in both the head and the chest — and how much he likely suffered before those injuries killed him.

[snip]

The trial could last an additional five weeks or more and Ada County prosecutors have hundreds of witnesses they could call.

Live updates can also be found here, in case you're not a Twitter person (it's the same info as Twitter, tho):

http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=122447404&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10227

Highlight "tweets" of the day from http://twitter.com/#!/KTVBJamieGrey

"Doctor: Manwill had few visibvle bruises and no fractures. Injuries to abdomin and head can still be fatal."

"State's next witness: A nurse who lived in same apartments as Jenkins and Ehrlick when Manwill disappeared."

"Witness on Manwill: "I've never seen a mean streak in him at all. He never argued. He was one of the sweetest boys I've ever met.""

"Witness: Manwill changed “From being happy and smiling in 2008. In 2009, he always looked depressed, down. Pulled himself a way kindof.”"

"Witness: Last time she saw Manwill alive: "Robert was on the swings with his head down, looking at the ground, looking really depressed.""

"Det. was searching for board used to hit Manwill, hole in wall, forensic evid. and a Harry Potter book Manwill had been reading."

"Witness: Appears there were once rocks in both pockets of pants. Pros. say Ehrlick tried sinking Manwill’s body in canal this way."

"Criminalist was at autopsy. Seeing photos again. Testifying Manwill’s hair was longer than in search photos."

"Witness: Found lots of similar rocks along canal but can't say for sure that's where rock in Manwill's pocket came from."

"Witness: Found lots of toddler toys in apt. but only Harry Potter books and a couple figurines for a child Manwill's age."

Neighbor testifies she saw big change in Manwill before his death

A neighbor who knew 8-year-old Robert Manwill testified against Daniel Ehrlick Monday saying the boy's mood changed dramatically before his death.

[snip]

That neighbor, Lenora Poncia, testified that she was with Robert a lot the summer before he died, and that they were inseparable.

He'd come over to her apartment while she cooked or cleaned.

But she says in 2009, the summer he died, he wasn't allowed over and she didn't see him often.

That neighbor says Ehrlick and Jenkins would tell her Manwill was being bad and was in trouble and not allowed to leave their apartment.

More: http://www.ktvb.com/news/Neighbor-t...ge-in-Manwill-before-his-death-122474854.html

Its this kind of stuff I find very disturbing and the more I hear make me think MJ pleaded to a lesser charge for a reason.

Witness: Jenkins told her during search "the less I knew, the better because I would probably be called as a witness". #Ehrlick agreed.

MJ did not find out AFTER the fact. She either did it or participated in it or stood there and simply watched it happen and did not call the police to stop it, but I somehow am starting to doubt that part. I heard she is willing to testify during this trial as long as it does not change her plea she already made. I'm just waiting for some sort of twist between these two. I just cant help but think she is deeper involved in it. And maybe I am wrong.

Its this kind of stuff I find very disturbing and the more I hear make me think MJ pleaded to a lesser charge for a reason.

Witness: Jenkins told her during search "the less I knew, the better because I would probably be called as a witness". #Ehrlick agreed.

MJ did not find out AFTER the fact. She either did it or participated in it or stood there and simply watched it happen and did not call the police to stop it, but I somehow am starting to doubt that part. I heard she is willing to testify during this trial as long as it does not change her plea she already made. I'm just waiting for some sort of twist between these two. I just cant help but think she is deeper involved in it. And maybe I am wrong.

I don't think you're wrong. Even if she just turned a blind eye, she's complicit. It's NOT normal to let some harm your babies. I do believe she witnessed Robert's abuse - maybe even participated in it, but even if she didn't, she had to have known.

Here we have a neighbor testifying to the changes in Robert's demeanor. Wouldn't his own "mother" notice that? Wouldn't she notice the physical evidence?

These people make me sick.

I don't think you're wrong. Even if she just turned a blind eye, she's complicit. It's NOT normal to let some harm your babies. I do believe she witnessed Robert's abuse - maybe even participated in it, but even if she didn't, she had to have known.

Here we have a neighbor testifying to the changes in Robert's demeanor. Wouldn't his own "mother" notice that? Wouldn't she notice the physical evidence?

These people make me sick.

Both MJ and DE deserve the death penalty IMO. Here is what MJ told the Judge.

Mother of murdered boy pleads guilty for her role in his death

The mother of an 8-year old boy found dead in a canal has pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting his murder.

Jenkins admits she not only knew about her son's abuse, but she failed to stop it.

<modsnip>

Jenkins also admits she kept Robert from family and friends to cover up the abuse, and just one day before his death, Jenkins says she hid Robert from social workers.

"You hid him in a closet. Is that correct?" asked Williamson.

"Yes ma'am," replied Jenkins.

"You failed to inform authorities of Robert's pain and suffering and injuries that he had received. Is that correct?" asked Williamson.
<modsnip>

As for the case against Ehrlick, Ada County Prosecutor Greg Bower says "maybe" Jenkins will testify against Ehrlick. He says he did not bargain for her testimony in this negotiation.

Ehrlick's trial is set to begin in April and is expected to last six weeks.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Mother-of-murdered-son-pleads-guilty-to-aiding-and-abetting-114941094.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back