GUILTY CA - Emma Barker, 18 mos, suffocated, Lancaster, 18 March 2009 #2

YEAH!!!!! :woohoo: YEAH!!!!! :woohoo: YEAH!!!!! :woohoo:

That along with the DISASTROUS start of the CA case, Its gonna be a GREAT SUMMER for these murderers!!!!! SO GLAD justice was served for Emma Leigh Barker!!! Caylee Marie youre next baby girl!!!!! :heart:

Yes CHICOGIRL one down and one more to go!!! Thank you lord, Precious Emma you are so loved!!!

I just cannot stop crying in relief, I am so happy they busted her for the whole lot time to arrest BB now....emma deserved so much better than these two monsters....

when is she sentenced?? how was she when the verdict was read? screamed a lot I hope.

OMG Cath- What AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!! I also, THANK YOU for your dedication and Im so glad you made it to see her doomsday handed to her!! Do you really think that BB will be charged now? If not, it seems that the DA would have some questions to answer? Let me know if we need to start writing letters.....Im always down for a good media BLITZ :innocent: Thank you again......You are truly an angel my friend :blowkiss:

Do you think SB will start talking now in hopes of reducing her sentence? She may be ready to sell BB out to save her own skin.

Bless little Emma, this was a good start towards justice in her name.

I just cannot stop crying in relief, I am so happy they busted her for the whole lot time to arrest BB now....emma deserved so much better than these two monsters....

when is she sentenced?? how was she when the verdict was read? screamed a lot I hope.

She will be sentenced on June 17 by Judge Zackey. She was emotionless during the verdict - there were two local news stations with cameras in the courtroom for the verdict - Dager hung over her like a mother hen, shielding her from their view.

When Judge Zackey asked her if she gave up the right to be sentenced immediately - she answered him in a clear voice - no excitement or distress evident. She was taken straight back to the holding cell with Dager still attached.

Do you think SB will start talking now in hopes of reducing her sentence? She may be ready to sell BB out to save her own skin.

You know she reverted back to her second "original" police statement - baggie, peek-a-boo, driving on FWY at rush hour, driving for 45 minutes with Emma dead in the back (in the car seat) knowing they had record of her telling a close version of the truth.

She never admitted to where she was between 6ish after her phone stopped pinging and started again at 9:06PM (she was near LAX).

Even with a witness who stated BB drove SB into the PnR and left her there, she did not admit to being with BB prior to his showing up at the PnR after her brother called 911.

I am at a loss as to how this will play out. I do have a ton of faith in the DDA - she has taken this personally (as have the excellent LEOs involved). She wants to see anyone involved punished and I'm holding out hope that BB will be called to answer for his involvement, whatever it was. If Emma's murder was conspired over lunch or if BB helped SB dispose of her little body - Kelly Cromer knows things that we still do not. Anthony knows things we do not, things that did not come out in court and Kelly, for some reason has asked him to remain silent about, at this time.

I do know Anthony believes SB and BB planned to put this on him.

Re: Pat Tillman - RD was trying to say that the government lied about Pat Tillman and tried to cover up the truth, he died from friendly fire and that is what the State is trying to do in this case....hide the truth!

Oddly I don't remember a single piece of evidence that points to a conspiracy by the State. If anything, RD wanted the truth to stay concealed - one of the reasons he wanted us to be banned from the courtroom during the trial.

Just saw this and I am so happy for Emma. She has justice for her murder.

LCoastMom....Thank you for hanging in there. You never gave up, and I'm sure that you are just completely physically and emotionally drained right now. This case didn't get enough media exposure, but maybe that was good, SB can't claim that she was denied a fair trial due to extreme publicity. Perfect timing, and justice for sweet little Emma. There were frightening parallels between this case and another case which has gone on too long. SB had alternatives too. Such a horrible painful death this little one endured. RIP Emma Leigh.

:angel:

LCM: Thanx and more Thanx...This case being adjudicated right as the ICA case gets underway may not afford you the rest and recovery that you so rightly may need...However, our 2 beloved "adopted" babies, Emma Leigh and Caylee are connected in so many ways. Similar ages, similar whacked "maternal units" and justice in 2011 are among the aspects that they share. It is mentioned on some other blogs, msg boards and TV venues that ICA is so unique in what she is charged with doing to her child... But SB is just so unnoticed, due to the massive coverage of Caylee and there not being enough air time for Emma Leigh...I hope that Beautiful Emma will be noticed and cherished more as time goes by, as the situations of Caylee and Emma are so similar...I hope that ICA doesn't get exclusive notice as the only "poster-child" for maternal murder of their children (filicide/filacide)...There is much to become aware of in these awful cases. But mostly, as a loving Mother, I just want to get some psychological understanding of what makes a Mother kill their own babies. If my prayer could be heard, May this horrible madness Stop Already, Dear Lord...

Justice = life sentence on SB...

Justice for Emma Leigh and Caylee...

bumping for emma! justice today baby girl <3

anyone heard anything yet?!

ETA is this link right??? 25-life???

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8196369

I don't have the details I know she was sentenced to 62 years.*

My phone service is currently spotty from the Cochise Co Monument fires, we're currently surrounded on 2.5 sides and have been told utilities are about to be cut. I'll get back as soon as I can after I talk to Tori.

2goldfish: That was the only coverage SB got for her conviction, a sloppy rewrite from her arrest.

ETA oops yep they added the new info (again) she will serve 62 years if I understand what I heard.

*Sorry one of Emma's Angels is not a Chemist nor a mathematician.

Present today, Emma's daddy, his family, including his Gma - GB, SB's grandparents and a maternal aunt. MIA SBarker and BB.

OK here's the details:

Emma's daddy and paternal-gma gave impact statements. Through tears Anthony said Emma was his reason for getting up every day, his reason for going to work. SB took away his reason to live. (The rest was lost to tears).

Judge Zacky told SB he has not seen one ounce of remorse from her in the two years she has sat in his Courtroom. He told her, "I have pictures of my children here on the bench, they bring me peace and joy. You never shed a single tear for your daughter. She will never grow up, go to school, wear a wedding dress or dance. You took that away from her! She might have been the first female president or a doctor who saved lives. We'll never know because you took her life prematurely." He also told her he will never understand why she chose death for her daughter, why not leave her with the grands or her father? Give her to one of the many families who would have adopted Emma in a heartbeat. "That tells me you are a cold blooded killer! I hope you stay locked up long enough that you are never able to have another child."

ETA - He also told SB point blank that he knows this was no accident. She threw a blanket over Emma's face and held her hand over Emma's mouth and nose to cut off her air supply with Emma strapped in her car seat, completely defenseless from the attack.

first-degree murder - 25 to LiFE
assault on a child - 25 to LiFE
assault on a child under eight causing death - 6 yrs (max allowed)
& child abuse - 6 years (max allowed) to be served consecutively
Special allegation - 4 years

The second charge of 25 to Life commuted -

If I understand correctly SB must serve either 25 years or the 25 plus 16 before she is eligible for parole. Sorry for the confusion I'll talk to Tori again when things calm down.

PD Dager of course requested a MISTRIAL saying the jury misunderstood their directions. Judge Z said they understood perfectly and DENIED!!

The Courtroom was full of news cameras today. Again Dager shielded SB, he held a paper over her face the whole time Judge Z was speaking to her.

Dager is asking for SB to be sent to Chino Women's Institute where she would be housed in a pod with other women convicted of killing their kids. Ms Cromer isn't sure yet where she will be sent. The girls and I are hoping she ends up at Chowchilla (1st choice) or Coachilla.

"A typical cell is about eight by ten, shared by two women. It contains one sink, toilet, bunks with one mattress and one pillow each, and one locker per woman."

After court GBarker told Channel 7 news SB should not have been found guilty of murder. He said it was an accident and SB admitted she dumped Emma's body. He also said SB did not get a fair trial because of the bloggers!

justice is lovely

RIP baby Emma

Isn't it LadyL...

Before she can be paroled SB must admit to murdering Emma and show remorse, something Ms Cromer doesn't believe she will be able to pull off. Ms Cromer also said she has never had a case like this where the inmate was paroled the first time they applied.

Judge Zacky said: First Degree Murder this Court sentences you to the term prescribed by law, which is 25 years to life in state prison. Miss Barker, I hope that for every second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day, of every year for the rest of your life that you see Emma's face looking at you and I don't know how you're going to live with yourself.

this is WONDERFUL NEWS. I am crying all over my keyboard, was trying to read aloud the sentence and what the judge said to my family and I just kept stopping to bawl.

THIS IS A PERFECT SENTENCE. I am SO grateful to the judge and to the jurors -- it sounds like the jury slammed her with everything they possibly could which was absolutely the right thing to do!

emma, beautiful girl, it wont bring you back but there is justice for the loss of you <3 <3

Isn't it though 2gf! Emma has justice and Judge Z handed SB her posterior in a most wonderful way.

Juror number 8 (a young dad) came by and shared with us:

Her emotion did matter to us very much- or her demeanor you could say. What we saw was a lack of remorse and the ability to turn tears on and off. We heard from multiple police officers how she was able to stop and start crying, and I found that during her interviews that she became more emotional in later interviews (like she was supposed to) when Nava said she wasn’t very caring.

When the verdict was read, I did not see an ounce of anything in her expression (similar to how she appeared on tapes during interviews). So, yes, I saw through the ruse. I also saw the same defensiveness on the stand when Kelly caught her in a lie, which is the same defensiveness when she was lying during interviews. Her testimony neither hurt nor helped her case. In my opinion, enough evidence was there either way.

[re letters to X] Many of us read the letters; I read them for purposes of establishing her demeanor after the fact. Again, there was no remorse, and they were very sexual and immature. She spent a lot of time writing fantasies and expressing future desires (marriage, etc.). Some were disturbing, and not something someone who truly cared about the loss of a daughter would write, especially to someone whom he/she had just met.

For me, the “smoking gun” was the blood in Emma’s nose and the double dose of Benedryl (which to me along with the made up story and the lies in the texts while she was driving, demonstrated premeditation). A meticulous mother of an 18 month old would not give a double dose of any medication for any reason.

It was a hard case, and five of us stayed behind to thank Kelly for her service in such a hard case; for a prosecutor she cared very much for Emma. I’m very impressed by her.

[Re BB] I think most of us (I definitely do) believed he was involved after-the-fact, but not with the actual murder. He was most likely lied to after the murder, but he’s still an accessory. With the scent dogs picking up a driver’s scent going eastbound on S, it’s pretty evident he was there. Plus, it’s impossible to get to Stacey’s house from Brendon’s in the amount of time he did after Stacey’s initial call unless he was on stand-by. We were there, however, to examine Stacey’s guilt, so that was fairly irrelevant.

We did examine all of the applicable evidence when coming to a final verdict, and we took many votes- one at the beginning to see where we stood, and then several others (if I had to put a number on it, I’d say around 5). I don’t think we ever really moved from murder, but many were torn between second and first degree murder (I never moved from first degree because of the evidence presented). Three people had trouble with premeditation, so there was a lot of speaking out against other, what I considered unreasonable, interpretations of her actions. We also had read back from several testimonies to refresh the memories of several jurors.

Her demeanor was very problematic for many of us, and even if she wasn't the emotional type, her behavior was evidently faked many times.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8196369

A Palmdale woman, convicted of smothering her child to death, was sentenced Friday to 25 years to life in prison.
----------

Video from court on Friday. There's a quick shot of SB's face, she looks like she hasn't slept since May 24th! Reality finally setting in???

GBarker is still in serious denial. How can he stand there and say she didn't kill Emma? She admitted to it!

According to a "reliable source" there is an active investigation regarding BB's involvement.

What a long, strange trip it's been, complete with mysterious witnesses named "X" and the blame-the-bloggers game, all because of a mother's most selfish act.

I am grateful for the appropriate verdict and sentence. It's a relief to have some closure with this case. Emma's face will never be forgotten by me or all of you, and, of course, by those who knew and loved her during her short life. Another beautiful baby torn away from those who cared for her, so a short-sighted parent could live out an ill-conceived plan of a perceived fantastical future. *Sigh*

I so very appreciate LCoastMom's updates. Deepest thanks also to Tori and any and all other contributors and followers.

:grouphug:

I joined this site just because of this thread. The work that you have put in LCoastMum is amazing. Plus the support you have received from this with people who have attended court.
I'm happy that justice has been served and hope that every day becomes a nightmare in prison for this monster who called herself a mother.
You have all shown that this little girl was far from not loved. It's heartbreaking that her life was cut short. It has made me love my own kids more (I didn't think it was possible).
Again, many thanks to you LCoastMum and others invlolved in this thread. You really are fantastic.

dancing_chipmonk - welcome to WS and thank you for your kind words. So many people who never met her during her short life do love our little Emma Leigh - don't know how I would have gotten through this without the support from everyone, this case hurt my soul. I'm so glad you decided to join us. WS is a wonderful group of caring people.

Big news! Mz Stacey Marie B (AKA CDCR# WE1723) has a new address and I'm guessing she's not loving her new home at the Central California Women's Facility (CCWF)!!

If you care to drop her a note her mailing address is:

P. O. Box 1508
Chowchilla, CA 93610

This may not be her permanent home, she is still in transition - I'll keep everyone posted on her whereabouts and her first possible parole date sometime after 2035 or so!

Thank you State of CA!! You have succeeded where FL failed miserably! I'm wondering what SB thinks of KC's trial outcome, probably kicking herself for testifying (not that I think it effected the outcome)!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back