NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

Omaha--good job! I think the motive was tied to the medical school.
National Match Day was coming up and the timing is too much of a coincidence. I think they need to look at those who wanted in the residency programs but didn't get in.

Omaha--good job! I think the motive was tied to the medical school.
National Match Day was coming up and the timing is too much of a coincidence. I think they need to look at those who wanted in the residency programs but didn't get in.

I think this came up before in discussion.

My feeling is that it could have been done as a message to Dr. Hunter to influence a selection. But kill his son? Maybe I'm thinking too logically, but if that was the motivation, killing his son seems a little offbase. Maybe AFTER National Match Day and NOT being selected. Could have been an attempted kidnapping though... I don't know enough about the pressures, but in one of the threads someone with more knowledge discussed it.

I think this came up before in discussion.

My feeling is that it could have been done as a message to Dr. Hunter to influence a selection. But kill his son? Maybe I'm thinking too logically, but if that was the motivation, killing his son seems a little offbase. Maybe AFTER National Match Day and NOT being selected. Could have been an attempted kidnapping though... I don't know enough about the pressures, but in one of the threads someone with more knowledge discussed it.

Selections for Match were likely completed by the day of the murders, they just were not officially announced until the 3rd Thursday. Some Creighton med students are from out of state and have families. I do hope they investigated that angle. Have a good day!

Here is a link to the first thread. The Omaha World Herald links no longer work but Snick was nice enough to transcribe the (first?) OWH article in post #9.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67963"]Omaha double murder - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Here is a link with the composite sketch of the poi.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/17003921.html

This should help our newest sleuths in catching up. There are also links to threads one and two on the first page of this thread.

wm:)

Selections for Match were likely completed by the day of the murders, they just were not officially announced until the 3rd Thursday. Some Creighton med students are from out of state and have families. I do hope they investigated that angle. Have a good day!

My thinking has always been that, if this was a motive, the killer was not someone who failed to make the cut THAT year. It could likely have been someone who failed to get into residency sometime in the past, perhaps several years ago. This festered while they blamed the Hunters or CU for their perceived failure in life.
From what I know, the murders showed evidence of medical skill. The knives were left in their throats to minimize bleeding (less chance of leaving the house covered in blood). Of course this may also be a sign of a professional hit job.
If you think about it; the son of the then head of a Pathology department is murdered in his home, the killer entering just after he came home from school, the scene is as one OPD detective said, "almost pristine." To me that suggests a strong possibility of a connection with someone in the Doctrs' past, perhaps a medical or CU connection. It does NOT suggest the act of a prowler caught in the act or of a deranged psycho. This guy was good; very good.

Has it ever been established whether these were kitchen knives, hunting knives, surgical knives, switchblade knives or pocket knives? That might give a good clue as to what type of person committed these murders.

I believe it was someone very powerful who took both victims by surprise.

My thinking has always been that, if this was a motive, the killer was not someone who failed to make the cut THAT year. It could likely have been someone who failed to get into residency sometime in the past, perhaps several years ago. This festered while they blamed the Hunters or CU for their perceived failure in life.
From what I know, the murders showed evidence of medical skill. The knives were left in their throats to minimize bleeding (less chance of leaving the house covered in blood). Of course this may also be a sign of a professional hit job.
If you think about it; the son of the then head of a Pathology department is murdered in his home, the killer entering just after he came home from school, the scene is as one OPD detective said, "almost pristine." To me that suggests a strong possibility of a connection with someone in the Doctrs' past, perhaps a medical or CU connection. It does NOT suggest the act of a prowler caught in the act or of a deranged psycho. This guy was good; very good.

Great thoughts and analysis Snick.

Has it ever been established whether these were kitchen knives, hunting knives, surgical knives, switchblade knives or pocket knives? That might give a good clue as to what type of person committed these murders.

I believe it was someone very powerful who took both victims by surprise.

I'm not sure on this one. I know there have been rumors and we have speculated. But unfortunately I don't think we can say that we know this for a fact. Personally, I've heard from at offline rumors that are different from what was reported in the paper in that long article.

I'm not sure it helps us with the identity of the suspect. But would be really interesting to know, as with the order of the murder -- which there has been speculation about as well.

Here is a link to the first thread. The Omaha World Herald links no longer work but Snick was nice enough to transcribe the (first?) OWH article in post #9.

Correction: It was post #6

Omaha double murder - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Here is a link with the composite sketch of the poi.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/17003921.html

This should help our newest sleuths in catching up. There are also links to threads one and two on the first page of this thread.

wm:)

Correction above in RED!

Thanks, wm

The reason I think it was someone who failed to match that year is because they would have matched at another state but that would have required a move of the entire family. Because a target was the Hunters' son, I think it was a either a disgruntled Creighton or UNMC medical student with a family. I was just thinking out loud. I bet they covered that angle years ago.

Resentment can sometimes fester for years in certain folks. I think this theory of the murders being related to someone's failure(s) in a medical career could hold water. I think it may even be some years past that the failure(s) ocurred. Rage and a need to blame someone may have been brewing within and the upcoming residency match date could have brought it all to the surface again for that person, resulting in this act. I wonder how far back investigators went in examining a possible CU connection.

Back in the first thread I posted some maps of the area. At the time I kept all the locations on Google Earth. Today I imported them into Google maps and created a new map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202998600653912919870.0004aac75f9e45d756420

I have the Hunter's house, the medical center and the school Thomas attended place-marked. Let me know if you would like anything added or if any of the information is wrong.
Hope this can be of some use.

I think of this case often and have been following all threads.
Wish we had some answers. I keep hoping something big will break in this case.

Back in the first thread I posted some maps of the area. At the time I kept all the locations on Google Earth. Today I imported them into Google maps and created a new map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202998600653912919870.0004aac75f9e45d756420

I have the Hunter's house, the medical center and the school Thomas attended place-marked. Let me know if you would like anything added or if any of the information is wrong.
Hope this can be of some use.

I think of this case often and have been following all threads.
Wish we had some answers. I keep hoping something big will break in this case.

Thanks very much for your contribution. I remember you from the first thread, it all seems so long ago now.
I was studying the aerial view of the Hunter home. It puts things in a slightly different perspective than you get at ground level. We were told that the POI parked on a side street and walked there. I would be interested to know just where, but of course OPD is not telling us. I don't have this picture pulled up at the moment but if not shown, maybe more of a view of the rear of the house and the street just east of there? I visited the area several week ago and remember thinking it would have been easy for the perp to have exited out the back and cut through the yard in back to get to his car if he parked on that street.

Resentment can sometimes fester for years in certain folks. I think this theory of the murders being related to someone's failure(s) in a medical career could hold water. I think it may even be some years past that the failure(s) ocurred. Rage and a need to blame someone may have been brewing within and the upcoming residency match date could have brought it all to the surface again for that person, resulting in this act. I wonder how far back investigators went in examining a possible CU connection.

I agree. Creighton's cardiology dept is one of the best. I spent many days and hours talking to the med students and nurses who took care of my dad in the CCU. Creighton is a very expensive school and many have huge student loans. Married students can qualify for all kinds of economic assistance such as subsidized housing, food stamps, medicaid for their kids. So if a settled, married medical student wanted to stay in Omaha and wasn't accepted, it would mean the family must uproot to another state. I can see that causing resentment and rage.

It is a computer that matches the student with the residency program, so I believe
anger directed towards one person in this scenario is unlikely. Murderous rage (not that I have ever experienced it--I believe in universal justice) is more likely to be a result of some other situation. At least, that is, in a reasonable person. I'm not willing to rule out a person in the medical field, but I think it was a person who had many levels of resentment. That resentment that has to be unfulfilled. This is why I believe we will know who did it someday.

You know it's possible the dark complected stranger coming and going through the front door may have happened before the murders even took place. What if one of Tom's friends came over shortly after that and came to the back or side door. Maybe he and Tom got into an argument over a game or something, he killed Tom in a rage, then killed the housekeeper to silence her and left through the same door in which he had entered.

You know it's possible the dark complected stranger coming and going through the front door may have happened before the murders even took place. What if one of Tom's friends came over shortly after that and came to the back or side door. Maybe he and Tom got into an argument over a game or something, he killed Tom in a rage, then killed the housekeeper to silence her and left through the same door in which he had entered.

I have always questioned if the man seen walking in the neighborhood was the killer. I don't think it was possible for the forensic people to pinpoint a time of death to the extent that it could be proven that this person was the killer. Dr Hunter did not arrive home until after 5PM. The man was seen about 3:20 or so. Unless I am wrong, there were no real accounts of his leaving the scene.
I have always maintained that he could have been someone who for reasons only he knows, is afraid to come forward and clear himself and his reasons for being there. Perhaps because of immigration status? Perhaps he was a friend of Shirlee's on a brief personal visit?
I find it very possible that someone Tom knew, either personally from school, or someone he chatted with online dropped by after the stranger left, closer to 4PM. Much depends on whether the knives were taken from the kitchen or brought in by the perp. If the former, the possibility of this being the result of some dispute comes into play. I still wonder if LE was able to conclude just when he paused his video game? Did investigators ever go there? If not, why? Just one of many things I wish I knew.
I will say that I have always felt that Tom's school is an important piece of the puzzle. It was nowhere near his home. Why did his parents want him to go there? It is located in a less than safe area and I sometimes wonder if he was too trusting in what he said at lunch, etc to his classmates about his family. Tom was a sweet, friendly kid who may not have realized some of the kids he visited with at school had older siblings involved in criminal activities.

I've always wondered if it was only one neighbor who saw the stranger enter the Hunter home. If so, could they have been covering for someone with a fabricated sighting? I also wonder if Tom had any friends in the immediate neighborhood who visited back and forth with him after school.

Tom was probably sent to that particular school because it specialized in his interests in science. It sounds like sort of a magnet school for gifted students who excel in that area.

Tom could have made friends with some stranger on the bus and invited him over. Kids can be very naive. He could have watched to see where Tom lived and paid a visit,

I've always wondered if it was only one neighbor who saw the stranger enter the Hunter home. If so, could they have been covering for someone with a fabricated sighting? I also wonder if Tom had any friends in the immediate neighborhood who visited back and forth with him after school.

Tom was probably sent to that particular school because it specialized in his interests in science. It sounds like sort of a magnet school for gifted students who excel in that area.

Tom could have made friends with some stranger on the bus and invited him over. Kids can be very naive. He could have watched to see where Tom lived and paid a visit,

Tom could have become friends with someone on the bus to whom he talked too much about the family's business. He may have jokingly bragged about all the stuff they had and maybe said something that could have led someone to think drugs were in the house. He may also have mentioned that his mom was out of town that week. His friend could have noted the address then passed this onto an older sibling or family member.
What doesnt fit this idea is my knowledge of the crime scene; the knives were used in a manner suggesting someone very knowledgable in killing did this. Also nothing appeared taken. I suppose the perp could have fled after the killings- maybe he hadn't planned on having to do that.

The fact that nothing was taken from the house in this case is HUGE to me. This makes it appear to be more of a rage, revenge or hired killing.

And with the relatively short span of time from the time Tom got home until his father got home makes that even more apparent to me. Someone went there with the purpose of getting even for something.

If only we had some suspects to even consider, but Omaha PD nor the family have given out any crumbs about suspects that might help jog people's memories.

Tom could have become friends with someone on the bus to whom he talked too much about the family's business. He may have jokingly bragged about all the stuff they had and maybe said something that could have led someone to think drugs were in the house. He may also have mentioned that his mom was out of town that week. His friend could have noted the address then passed this onto an older sibling or family member.
What doesnt fit this idea is my knowledge of the crime scene; the knives were used in a manner suggesting someone very knowledgable in killing did this. Also nothing appeared taken. I suppose the perp could have fled after the killings- maybe he hadn't planned on having to do that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back