IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't even have that for Lauren unless you count rumors about pings :(

I wish we knew where that rumor about the ping near Martinsville came from... That and the rumor about the cadaver dogs hitting on the dumpsters behind JR/CR's place are two things that would be pretty significant in terms of thinking through possible scenarios, if only we had some definitive answers.

I think the Spierers are trying to hit this from every angle. I don't believe the inclusion of a PI shows they have lost faith in local LE. I do think that he misspoke and has some apologies to make though.

I have such mixed feelings about the PI and what is happening right now. Firstly, LE is definitely being a lot classier than the PI. I do think it was really inappropriate for him to bash LE publicly like that. The harassing individuals part has me torn because I know it is wrong, but part of me is like GO BEAU HARASS UNTIL LAUREN IS HOME!!!!

In the US, we are considered innocent until proven guilty. Therefore, the harassment is not fair. How is it productive? And, what if it turns out that they were not involved? That would be terribly embarrassing.

I wish we knew where that rumor about the ping near Martinsville came from... That and the rumor about the cadaver dogs hitting on the dumpsters behind JR/CR's place are two things that would be pretty significant in terms of thinking through possible scenarios, if only we had some definitive answers.

The source of the former is known, it's from this forum. I've been asking about the source of the latter since early July and have pretty much given up tracking it down and still consider it worthless.

I believe the hit by cadaver dogs came from that psychic that was in town with her dogs... and it was never really clear if they were trained as cadaver dogs...

Walker, I agree that a PI's chief strength is the "private" aspect. If there is truth to the adage that whoever says the least wins; Dietl has made a crucial error.

I believe the hit by cadaver dogs came from that psychic that was in town with her dogs... and it was never really clear if they were trained as cadaver dogs...

Right. I probably would have dismissed it altogether if it was based on a psychic alone, but people on the LS facebook page seemed to think it was credible because someone named Don Cranfill confirmed her story. IIRC, they both claimed that she (and the dogs) had worked directly with the Spierers, and they suggested that LE's cadaver dogs had hit on the same area, and released this info to the Spierers (but not to the public).

At the time, I asked if anyone knew if anyone knew who DC was, and I think someone replied that he was involved in organizing the search, but I don't know anything more.

I would think that if that were true, it would have been a bigger deal... On the other hand, I haven't dismissed it completely because, if true, it might explain why the Spierers seem to be so focused on certain POI.

From Fox 59 -- http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-nyc-...ice-chief-gomer-pyle-20110925,0,2588022.story

Lauren’s father Robert Spierer told Fox 59 News his family hired Dietl’s firm to, “supplement information into the disappearance investigation.” Spierer said he was hopeful that any new leads developed by Dietl’s investigators would be shared with Bloomington police. Spierer said his family has, “a tremendous amount of respect,” for BPD, and, “We don’t agree with the disparaging comments made without our knowledge and completely contrary to our opinion of the Bloomington Police Department.”

Spierer said he had spoken with Dietl associates who were apologetic for the comments. “We are extremely grateful to the people of Bloomington and the Bloomington Police Department and I-U for their love and support,” during the three and a half month long search for their daughter."

The Gomer Pyle comment was insulting. Could there be some underlying tensions between the New Yorkers at IU and the local Bloomington culture? Are the New Yorkers stereotyped as rich, arrogant and wild partiers? One poster suggested that the "out-of-staters" at state universities sometimes stick together too much.

Also, how bad is the drug problem at IU? Often in looking back on my own college days, my tendency has been to dismiss drugs as something eccentric or strange, not really affecting me or my close friends, but in examining these memories more closely it seems to me that drugs were actually a bad problem even in those gentler times (1970s). A college acquaintance was rumored to be a heroin addict, another student grew psilocybin mushrooms under his bed, a certain frat was laughingly referred to as an "opium den." Marihuana was common and smoked openly around the campus. Dietls comments in this regard may be helpful, and raise awareness.

In any case, I hope that the people of Indiana do not take Dietl's disrespectful comments about the BPD as typical of us New Yorkers.

(snipped by me). IMO, moving from one region to another can have challenges (having lived in the midwest, southern Cal, the southeast, and now the northeast), for both adults and kids. People sometimes do things differently ... not better or worse. But in this case, Bo Dietl just overstepped, plain and simple. He needs to be more civil.

Also IMO, drug/alcohol use is crazy in higher ed right now. My son, a freshman at a small NE university, says most of his roommates party hard at clubs and "certain" dorms—and ambulances make visits. This university isn't even known as a party school! Sady, I think my son is struggling a bit since he doesn't party and a lot of kids do.

Even at the high school level, I see it. So yes, awareness is good! I think kids need to be encouraged to find their own niches while also looking out for others.

Hello all! This is my first time actually posting here, but I've been reading about this case on WebSleuths since mid-June. There are many intelligent people here & I appreciate reading the mix of educated opinions without the conflict that seems to find most sites regarding Lauren Spierer's case. I have never posted because I honestly cannot pinpoint what I believe to have really happened. Every time I read a new scenario on here, I can find many ways to believe it and I think that's why I'm so intrigued by her disappearance. Also, Lauren seems like such a sweet, smart girl and this story struck a chord in my heart. I really want them to find her and figure out who (if anyone) is responsible for her disappearance. That being said, for some reason I got happy when I saw that Bo Dietl was working on this case. I do think he should have conducted his public appearance a little differently and stayed away from the name calling, but the one thing he seems to bring is energy. This is not to say that BPD isn't doing their job, but look at the way things were conducted very early on in her case. The first hours after a disappearance are incredibly crucial and unless they really are just keeping what they actually did during that time hush-hush, they appeared to lack a sense of urgency completely. With the amount of time that has passed since June 3rd, it's really hard to be optimistic that the truth will be uncovered. At this point, what is there to lose by getting someone involved associated with the NYPD? I see the Spierer's being criticized by some for attempting to point fingers at certain POI's, so maybe going public with Bo Dietl, who people already hate, he can just go in and harass the right POI's for them. If I were a POI who knew something, I would be pretty freaked out if that guy showed up on my doorstop. And maybe none of the POI's know anything about where she really is, but I strongly believe that 1, if not more, know way more about the facts of that evening than they want to let on. They are not forthcoming with what they do know, so that in itself draws a lot of suspicion.

At any rate, I just felt the need to post instead of just always reading and never saying anything. I'm just starting to get really discouraged with the ways things are going and would really like to see resolution for the Spierers.

All I can think of regarding RS' apology is Aesop's fable, The Farmer and the Viper: "You knew I was a snake before you brought me in!" As many people have said all along, the Spierer's are not stupid people. So...I can only surmise that they thought what harm it might bring would be worth the result.

Stepping away from the circus and back to the case, I wonder which of the following applies to DB's Runcible Spoon tweet:

• He was not a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet before she was reported missing.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made a coded tweet to communicate the deed was done.

Other?

I applaud them for bringing in the PI. Loving parents determined to bring their baby home.

Just one question please to anyone who knows... STARBUCKS!
Who has worked there or frequents the place?

Hello all! This is my first time actually posting here, but I've been reading about this case on WebSleuths since mid-June. There are many intelligent people here & I appreciate reading the mix of educated opinions without the conflict that seems to find most sites regarding Lauren Spierer's case. I have never posted because I honestly cannot pinpoint what I believe to have really happened. Every time I read a new scenario on here, I can find many ways to believe it and I think that's why I'm so intrigued by her disappearance. Also, Lauren seems like such a sweet, smart girl and this story struck a chord in my heart. I really want them to find her and figure out who (if anyone) is responsible for her disappearance. That being said, for some reason I got happy when I saw that Bo Dietl was working on this case. I do think he should have conducted his public appearance a little differently and stayed away from the name calling, but the one thing he seems to bring is energy. This is not to say that BPD isn't doing their job, but look at the way things were conducted very early on in her case. The first hours after a disappearance are incredibly crucial and unless they really are just keeping what they actually did during that time hush-hush, they appeared to lack a sense of urgency completely. With the amount of time that has passed since June 3rd, it's really hard to be optimistic that the truth will be uncovered. At this point, what is there to lose by getting someone involved associated with the NYPD? I see the Spierer's being criticized by some for attempting to point fingers at certain POI's, so maybe going public with Bo Dietl, who people already hate, he can just go in and harass the right POI's for them. If I were a POI who knew something, I would be pretty freaked out if that guy showed up on my doorstop. And maybe none of the POI's know anything about where she really is, but I strongly believe that 1, if not more, know way more about the facts of that evening than they want to let on. They are not forthcoming with what they do know, so that in itself draws a lot of suspicion.

At any rate, I just felt the need to post instead of just always reading and never saying anything. I'm just starting to get really discouraged with the ways things are going and would really like to see resolution for the Spierers.

Welcome, Amanda! I know what you mean about having a hard time pinpointing what to believe. I'm in that boat, although I have "inclinations." I also hear what you're saying about LS ... that's what brought me here, too.

You raise a good point about a PI bringing energy to the case ... I just think it needs to be channeled so it's positive. Fresh eyes are always good, as are fresh opinions! I'd like to see a NYC PI bring those!

Stepping away from the circus and back to the case, I wonder which of the following applies to DB's Runcible Spoon tweet:

• He was not a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet before she was reported missing.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made a coded tweet to communicate the deed was done.

Other?

The second or third on your list, IMO. I can't see why DB would make a tweet re: the Runcible Spoon w/o having contacted JR in Bloomington. They seem too close. While there may be other types of "runcible spoon" businesses in other places (there's a culinary store near me), it's not a chain restaurant, so ...

IDK what to think of the possible code talk. I like to analyze text (poems, lyrics, etc.), so it's easy for me to go there. Then again, I'm open to the thought that "New York snow" was about coke (or even heroin, given the info on dirty snow). And that makes me question my response to it ... how much code-speak could really be going on? PS: That said, DB may like to allude ... recent tweet: "It's not a matter of if rory mcilroy is gonna choke, but rather what he is going to choke on."

It would be helpful to know if DB made that tweet at 10 am EST or 10 am PCT time. I've heard both versions. Also, since DB and JR are really good friends, might not JR have not met him for breakfast? I realize he didn't, but he might have, under different circumstances ...

Runcible Spoon... then Starbucks?

After reading about the Spoon I am hungry.

IMO... DB tweeting about eating there would not be a big thing. That may be his favorite place to eat while in Bloomington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling