GUILTY OR - Debbie Higbee Benton, 54, dies in contract killing, Gladstone, 28 May 2011

This story is very quiet. I was not that suspicious of LB until the raid of her sister's home. Now I am really curious.

I did some research but I'm not certain I've got the correct woman. There is a woman by that name who is a naturopath and healer. Could she have been treating the officer (her sibling) with hormones? Might Debbie have been sick and this was an assisted suicide? But by gun??? This is Oregon and we have legal assisted suicide. I'm totally flummoxed...and curious. Obviously, there's much yet to release.

I did some research but I'm not certain I've got the correct woman. There is a woman by that name who is a naturopath and healer. Could she have been treating the officer (her sibling) with hormones? Might Debbie have been sick and this was an assisted suicide? But by gun??? This is Oregon and we have legal assisted suicide. I'm totally flummoxed...and curious. Obviously, there's much yet to release.

There is no way I can see her using that method for assisted suicide. Especially since it is legal. She looks like a nice, calm, sweet woman. It's just crazy. I hate to say "lover's triangle", but with the recent break up, and the other people involved, it's just so odd!!

CORRECTION: I realize now that the woman I referred to above is a different Karen Benton. Lynne/Lynn Benton's sister is Karen K. Benton of Troutdale. Karen K. Benton's house is where a search warrant was served. I haven't been able to learn anything about her. I wouldn't typically be sleuthing a relative but she's somehow officially involved due to the SW and her name has been released. One of the newer articles provided the middle initial.

My apologies.

Portland's unofficial but well known motto is, "Keep Portland Weird". I support the intent behind the motto but I have to say that this is weird in a not so great way.

Quiet no longer:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2011/06/gladstone_police_sgt_lynne_ben.html

Gladstone Police Sgt. Lynne Benton, spouse of slain beautician, hired top defense attorney

"A Gladstone police sergeant whose spouse was shot to death May 28 has hired one of Oregon's top criminal defense attorneys to represent her. Sgt. Lynne Benton, who has been on leave since the slaying, retained Lake Oswego attorney Pat Birmingham, who has handled a long list of high-profile cases ranging from murder to white-collar crimes...."

and

"....Birmingham said Benton and her sister, Karen K. Benton, 52, of Troutdale, voluntarily turned over computers and cellphones to investigators. Lynne Benton had been staying with her sister after separating from Higbee Benton and moving out of her home at Gladstone's Tri City Mobile Home Court. He said they were surprised when police raided Karen Benton's home June 4, aided by a Multnomah County SWAT team. Neighbors said the heavily armed squad announced they had a search warrant, then yelled, "Come out with your hands up!" When no one answered, they smashed in the door, then seized bags of materials and impounded a vehicle.

"Sgt. Benton and her sister weren't home," Birmingham said. "If they had known there was a search warrant, they would have made a point of being home to open the door...."

more at link

Oh boy. He's very well known. One of my former friends used him after he got a DUI. "Oh if I ever have a problem I'll just call Pat."

Why would the officer need such a "high-powered" attorney? Can you imagine the retainer?

Maybe this is why she needs a lawyer...

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2011/06/gladstone_woman_pleads_not_gui.html

Gladstone woman pleads not guilty in beautician's death; indictment says suspect was paid

Authorities believe a Gladstone woman was paid to participate in the May 28 slaying of a well-liked beautician found dead in her Gladstone salon, according to court documents.

An indictment issued against Susan Ellen Campbell of Gladstone charges her with receiving money "pursuant to an agreement" in the death of Debbie Lee Higbee Benton, indicating that authorities suspect the alleged murder was the result of a conspiracy.

SNIP...

And not a single word as to who paid Campbell. Frightening indeed.

Wow, quite an update.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/index.ssf/2011/12/prosecutors_outline_case_for_d.html

Gladstone police Sgt. Lynn Benton accused of offering $2,000 to kill estranged spouse
December 15, 2011

"Veteran Gladstone Police Sgt. Lynn Benton allegedly offered $2,000 to a close friend to murder his estranged spouse, who was found fatally shot in her beauty salon in May. The extraordinary allegation emerged during a release hearing for Susan Ellen Campbell, who was arrested early this year in the death of Deborah Higbee Benton, the longtime partner of Sgt. Lynn Benton.

Oregon City Police Detective Brad Edwards testified today that Benton had an increasingly strained relationship with Gladstone beautician Deborah Higbee Benton, who had asked the sergeant, who was born a woman, to halt his gender reassignment process. In public, Benton has presented himself as a woman, though he underwent gender reassignment in recent years and legally changed his name and gender..."

and

"...Higbee Benton had also accused him of domestic violence, claiming to have pictures that showed bruises sustained from an assault. “Lynn Benton was extremely worried that any report of that would cause her law enforcement career to end..."

More at link

More details. My heart goes out to Debbie's friends and family for their tremendously tragic loss.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/index.ssf/2011/12/prosecutors_implicate_gladston.html

Prosecutors implicate Gladstone police Sgt. Lynn Benton in murder-for-hire plot
December 16, 2011

"....Prosecutors also detailed how they believe the crime unfolded:

On May 28, Campbell went to Higbee Benton's salon and shot her in the back with a .25 caliber handgun. But the shot wasn't fatal. Campbell immediately called Benton, who was working an overtime shift at police headquarters. Investigators later found .25 caliber ammunition in Benton's police locker.

Edwards stopped short of saying Benton went to the shop and beat Higbee Benton to death. An autopsy cataloged the brutality: a dozen broken ribs, a lacerated liver, evidence of strangulation, including a fractured thorax. The medical examiner characterized it as an act of "kill, kill and overkill."

Prosecutors met their burden to show a strong presumption of guilt, said Circuit Judge Kathie F. Steele, who ordered that Campbell remain in jail...."

and

"....Benton remains on the Gladstone payroll. However that may change...."

More at link

Why hasn't Benton been arrested yet?

More on this sad case:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/index.ssf/2012/02/gladstone_cop_implicated_in_mu.html

Gladstone cop implicated in murder case was fired over *advertiser censored*, fraud allegations
February 2, 2012

"City officials fired a Gladstone police sergeant implicated in a murder-for-hire plot because of potentially criminal misconduct unrelated to the 2011 death of his estranged wife, according to a document obtained Wednesday by The Oregonian.

In a Dec. 12 memorandum, Police Chief Jim Pryde says Sgt. Lynn Benton engaged in a "fraudulent marriage" to a Brazilian man in 1993, when Benton was legally female, solely so the man could qualify for U.S. citizenship, potentially a violation of federal law. The memo also says Benton possessed and viewed *advertiser censored* on his police-issued laptop computer, a violation of city policy...."

More at link

And the Police Memo:

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregon_city_news/other/benton.pdf.pdf

More stories on this sad case. What a strange situation. I am wondering if the hormones Lynn Benton was taking for the gender reassignment had something to do with this? I just don't understand how a long time cop, who was assigned to homicide at some point, could think he/she could get away with this? Boggles the mind.

http://www.oregonlive.com/milwaukie/index.ssf/2012/11/investigators_spent_18_months.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/milwaukie/index.ssf/2012/11/gladstone_cops_plot_to_kill_wi.html

$1 million bail set for son charged in Gladstone murder-for-hire plot

The third defendant accused plotting the murder of Deborah Higbee Benton was charged Friday with attempted aggravated murder and conspiracy.

He is being held in the Clackamas County Jail, with bail set at $1 million.

Jason Jay Jaynes, 32, allegedly agreed to kill Higbee Benton for money, according to an indictment.

http://www.oregonlive.com/milwaukie/index.ssf/2012/11/1_million_bail_set_for_son_cha.html

I feel like this was probably about money or pensions, etc...the usual motives. It was too well-planned, IMO, to be a rage killing.

I feel like this was probably about money or pensions, etc...the usual motives. It was too well-planned, IMO, to be a rage killing.

Supposedly Lynn Benton had been abusive toward Debbie and she had some other kind of dirt on him that she was going to use to expose him. He killed her to protect his career. Also, I think he didn't want to divorce her for monetary reasons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back