California Dept. of Mental Health Illegally Releases 17 Thousand Sex Offenders

I think most people realize by now the government no longer has the public's best interests in mind, that it functions solely for the purpose of its own survival to protect its own interests. In other words, there's a lot of crime going on through government including stealing and trafficking children through Child Protective Services happening all over the country through the unconstitutional Family Court System.

One thing you can do for a family member that has been molested is to call your city and county attorney and make sure the paper work to get a letter for any parole hearings and a letter to notify you of their release. Call your local pd and make sure the offender is registered. Print a copy of the offenders pic and info from the web registry and take it to your childs school. Copy several and put it at parks, ballfeilds, childs workplace. I found this helpful as the offender knew that we knew and were not afraid. The more people that know the better off we are.

Unbelievable. I am angry.

I sure do understand you, it angered me the moment I learned of this and you are right it is still UNBELIEVABLE. I dont think we can ever accept this kind of stupidity.

Yet in the same Country, we have a case where they get NEW information on a case and do not consider it.
YESTERDAY Georgia executes Troy Davis after his last pleas fails. :( :( :(

This is why I do not believe in the DP with acceptations of those who are proven to be deranged and harm people/children especially.

Thank you. You are so right...

It was a truly eye opening experience. It is amazing how fast a man can go from being 'the go to guy', to being - Who? You learn real fast who your true friends are...

FamilyWatchDog is an excellent site.

I wish I or anyone - knew the answer to your question... I keep thinking there must be an answer here, there must be something we can do. If there is I haven't found it.

One of the things we need is a loud voice so people understand what we are living with. When digging around looking for anything on the Shantina Smiley and Az Carter case in WA - there were a couple RSO's living near by where she was last seen.. I posted the info and was "informed" by another member 1 of the men is not a convicted SO. Well that's odd, why is his name and photo on a list of the state's 2nd & 3rd degree RSO's??? And why was his conviction and release date one and the same? What; when you kidnap your 17 y.o. neighbor for the purpose of forcing yourself on her, time served is good enough??

When are people going to understand these offenders are hard wired to do what they do? At this time there is no known cure... The numbers of them who look like a grandpa or a preacher is frightening too. (Which undoubtedly many are either or both)

How about a tattoo in neon orange or green of RSO across their forehead (different colors for different crimes...) and an embedded tracking device that alerts LE when they enter a forbidden zone near schools, parks, sch bus stops, arcades, swimming pools - anywhere children are likely to be. Oh yeah, have it give a progressively stronger shock - the longer they are in the area - Cops just need to find the creep laid on the ground.... I have no sympathy for people who hurt kids or for those who rape or molest anyone...

Most SOs are not pedophiles, and those that are not pedophiles are not a threat to children, even if they might be a threat to adults. Those residential restrictions serve no purpose other than to harrass in most cases.

Also, regarding recidivism, there was a major DoJ study carried out in the 90s where they looked at recidivism among SOs compared to criminals in general. SOs had a recidivism rate of around 70% over 3 years, and other criminals a bit less than that (around 65% IIRC, my memory is a bit hazy but the numbers are roughly ballpark accurate). However, the vast majority of those SOs who ended up back in prison were there for other offences, not sex crimes. The probability of re-offending on a sex ofence was at about 2% a year (other criminals had a 1.5% probability per year of recidivism as a sex offence). Basically the conclusion is that the danger you face of a sex offence from ANY criminal is not too different, irrespective of whether they are a SO or not. Criminals are criminals and you should stay away from all of them, especially those who have had violent pasts. If you are talking about doing a psych evaluation, it should be applied to all criminals, not just SOs, since the risk posed by the two populations is fairly similar. If someone is violent, but wasn't convicted as a SO, you are NOT safe from a sexual offence from that person. But, you have no way of keeping track of THEM.

When it comes to pedophiles the risk posed depends on the offence. How old the victim was, how many, who it was, did it involve an actual victim or was it conceptual crime (*advertiser censored* possession for example). All of those things will affect the probability of re-offence, you can't treat them all the same.

And it is not about "curing" anything, it is about the probability of re-offending and the risks posed. Just because someone has done something illegal doesn't mean they will do it again, even if they are not "cured". All society requires is that they not re-offend for fear of the consequences, and if they don't, leave them alone.

Hmm....I had a look for the DoJ report I read earlier to get the real numbers, and that one seems to have gone (or I just dont remember it very well).

Anyway, I did find two others based on the same data, one dealing with recidivism among general prisoners released (here), and another one dealing specifically with sex offenders (here).

So, overall recidivism rates among violent criminals (homicide, rape, assault and robbery, but not including sexual assault for some wierd reason, which makes it hard to figure out the overall figures) after 3 years is 61.7%. About half to 2/3rds of that happens in the first year, depending on how many priors they had (Yikes!). Of those convicted of rape and sexual assault, 46% and 41.5% respectively will be rearrested for something (violent and non-violent) within 3 years.

Rearrest for rape (sexual assault rearrests weren't given for the general offenders report) over 3 years were 2.5% for rapists and roughly 1.1% for other violent offenders.

Overall rearrests among those originally convicted of sex crimes for new sex crimes is 5.3% for rapists and 5.5% for sexual assaulters. So, rearrests are roughly half for rape and half for sexual assault by extrapolation for the data in the general prsioners report. Given that, the probability of sexual re-offence by the general violent criminal should be around 2.2-2.5% (thereabouts). Conviction rates were approximately two thirds the arrest rate.

Of those re-offences, about half were against children. For rapists, the number was 1.4% and sexual assaulters 2.5% over 3 years.

Among those originally convicted of sex crimes against children, similar numbers for overall sexual re-offences apply (about 5%), but, re-offence against children was 3.3% over the three years. The balance of sexual re-offences took place against adults. So, the probability of a child molester re-offending over a period of 3 years is roughly about 1.1% per year. Probably that will drop off over time beyond the 3 years since those likely to re-offend would probably do it sooner rather than later.

The probabilty of re-offence against children is about three times higher for those with multiple convictions compared to those with a first offence (which appears to be the majority of the SOs released). In other words there is a fairly small sub-population that we would need to be concerned about, as they are the ones with a high probabilty of re-offence. Basically those who have been arrested multiple times.

Anyway, if you are interested in these things, read those two reports.

Just want to stick this article in here:

Constitutionality of 'Jessica's Law' questioned
Treating sex predators differently from other violent offenders may violate equal protection guarantees, the California Supreme Court says.

January 29, 2010|By Maura Dolan

The California Supreme Court ruled 5 to 2 Thursday that a 2006 ballot initiative that permitted the state to lock up sexually violent predators indefinitely may violate constitutional guarantees of equal protection.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/29/local/la-me-sexpredator29-2010jan29

Oh, by all means we certainly can't violate these sexual predators rights. Heaven forbid! Geezus! :furious:

Having worked in the system for many years, I am well aware of how it operates. I can tell you first hand that the mental health system trumps custody regarding the release of prisoners. I worked in a prison that had a mental health center incorportated within the walls of the prison. It is a very hard concept to understand. The prison itself had mental health help available but sometimes they would be sent to the "county mental health" down the hall....very complex indeed.

I know first hand exactly what Marc is saying. I can tell you that the problem lies in the hands of the professionals in mental health who refuse to take responsibility for incarcerating an inmate longer than he has to be. They used to rely on the system and "felt" they deserved to parole. I recall the day when the mental health team was asked if they would assess the inmate and tell them if they thought he would repeat. They refused to do it and said it was not their responsibility and will not comply.

I have stories and have paid a heavy price for them.

Great profile picture! LOL! I say line these lowlifes up and make them walk the plank! ONE CONVICTION WITH CHILDREN AND INTO THE OVENS YOU GO!
:great:

This is outrageous.

Here, I thought the difficult part was finding these predators and putting them in prison to begin with... it turns out it is even harder to keep them incarcerated after they are sentenced. It's just a revolving door. A dangerous revolving door.

If something is not done to correct this, then what's the point? We may as well abolish any and all laws making it a crime to rape a person, molest a child, etc.
We may as well just allow sex offenders free reign in whatever they feel compelled to do.

The Califonia Department of Mental Health is making a mockery of Jessica's Law, a mockery of our justice system, and certainly, a mockery of the safety of all citizens.

17,000 sex offenders- and how many thousands of future victims? 17,000 multiplied by what?

What can we do to rectify this problem? What can i do, as a native Californian? As a California tax-payer? As a citizen of the United States? As a mother?

I'm all ears, and open for suggestions.

i am not to shocked...as of late california is not the only place this is happening..they letting dangerous people out on one side..putting pot smokers in jail on the other side...see heres the deal..no money is made with dangerous sex offenders...they can replace them with rEal jail birds that must pay money...sad to think but its all about money these days good luck smart blonde

I actually have chest pains reading some of the concerning Issues.
I cannot believe this is happening ....are we a third world country now?

The Governor is the BIG PROBLEM. You are person who is suppose to set an example & I don't understand how this happened. Arnold has been accused of sexual misconduct etc.His thought is: Woman are to be used ....thats the message I get out of this. Doesn't matter how families & Children have had there innoccense robbed from them ....there spirit squashed there lives become something they never feel comfortable with living.

I am not surprised. Kick him out on his azz & revoke his citizenship. He is a preditor himself...look what he did to his family....Maria, I am embarrased for her. She does not want to get the fact that he had to be a republican as her family is dems & than he had sexual allegations from several woman & than the Maid....Seriously that is one narcistic Crazy Lunatic. Maria I think you suffer from abused wife syndrome...are you really that far gone????

You can not have sympathy for those who are still condoning this behavior. You need reprogramming as you seem like a CULT VICTIM. Shaking Head with chest pains.....Beem Me up Scottie...NOW...

Please Have room for me in that space craft I will pay my own way & contribute all I can....Help Us someone we are being taken over by MONSTERS

Throw him out on his ARSE.....JMO

The problems could be solved by legalizing Marajuana (I don't lick it) because they are allowing medical marajuana......Please this would stop the mexico issue...tax problems & over filled prisons & tax payer burdens......I add this to the Idea Blonde wrote clean her street every 2 weeks add on legalizing marajuana....Stop paying for washingtons hired help & people we elect to stop using prostitues & we pay the bill for wining & Dining there out of wedlock relationships etc....

LEED BY EXAMPLE ARNOLD !!!!!!!

^ Well said, Arnold is a tool. :banghead:

I live over 3000 miles away from California (in Mass.) But I still find this both sickening and terrifying. I feel that California's DMH has put not just the citizens of CA but of the entire U.S. in danger.

California is also breaking the rules of Jessica's law for lifetime GPS tracking for high risk released sexual offenders. (As if RELEASE of ANY HIGH RISK offender isn't ALREADY breaking Jessica's Law IMO..)
Apparently, California is too broke to apply this law passed by voters as well. What could be more important to use tax payers money on than protecting it's citizens?? They could wash my street every third week instead of weekly to start! And I have MANY other ideas how California could afford Jessica's Law enforcement!! Protecting the "rights" of offenders is ridiculous and it is insane that our only "rights" are to have a list of the offenders in our neighborhoods. They should NOT be in our neighborhoods at ALL, EVER!! I believe in ONE STRIKE YOUR OUT!!! And 1 parole officer per 70+ released offenders??? If Jaycee Dugard's case isn't a catalyst for drastic change in the system, it is seriously time to storm the capital in herds!! We need to reassert our positions as the voters, as 'we the people', and tell government how it's going to be.. They are OUR employees, not our bosses!!
Office of California Governor Gavin Newsom

What good do the offender lists do to protect citizens? Nothing. It didn't help Chelsea or Amber, and many other victims like them. It serves as a geographical list for law enforcement to search for most likely perpetrator AFTER the rape or murder has been committed, which in most cases doesn't even catch the perpetrator anyways. It was only that JAG left DNA evidence behind, and that they actually found her body, that connected him. It is not a preventative measure AT ALL. They will reoffend. Does it make YOU feel any safer knowing that Mr. Offender is known to live at 123 Jones street in your community? Mr. Offender DOES leave his house. And as soon as he steps out the door, it no longer matters what his address is.
They could release all of the prisoners there on marijuana charges that are no longer illegal. They are working on releasing 54k right now. I could think of many ways to save the state money. It's unfortunate that this may continue as these criminals harm women and children predominantly. Unfortunately, the 2 lesser valued humans when compared to men.

I'm going to write letters and share this on social media to get more people active. Thanks.

You can start by writing your outrage to the Governator himself, to all the media, mayors, state and US senators and other representatives of California. Get others to write letters too. Be polite, state your thoughts, but don't insult or do any name calling. That's the first step. Write real letters as well as e-mail. Snail mail makes a better impression than does e-mail that can be easily deleted. I'd go with the snail mail. Include what you wrote above. It's perfect.

Does anyone have a link to a reputable news source on this story so I can start getting it out there on social media to increase letters to the governor? I can't locate one. Maybe someone can suggest the best search engine for me to use for this type of search. Thank you.

California is also breaking the rules of Jessica's law for lifetime GPS tracking for high risk released sexual offenders. (As if RELEASE of ANY HIGH RISK offender isn't ALREADY breaking Jessica's Law IMO..)
Apparently, California is too broke to apply this law passed by voters as well. What could be more important to use tax payers money on than protecting it's citizens?? They could wash my street every third week instead of weekly to start! And I have MANY other ideas how California could afford Jessica's Law enforcement!! Protecting the "rights" of offenders is ridiculous and it is insane that our only "rights" are to have a list of the offenders in our neighborhoods. They should NOT be in our neighborhoods at ALL, EVER!! I believe in ONE STRIKE YOUR OUT!!! And 1 parole officer per 70+ released offenders??? If Jaycee Dugard's case isn't a catalyst for drastic change in the system, it is seriously time to storm the capital in herds!! We need to reassert our positions as the voters, as 'we the people', and tell government how it's going to be.. They are OUR employees, not our bosses!!
California Governor

What good do the offender lists do to protect citizens? Nothing. It didn't help Chelsea or Amber, and many other victims like them. It serves as a geographical list for law enforcement to search for most likely perpetrator AFTER the rape or murder has been committed, which in most cases doesn't even catch the perpetrator anyways. It was only that JAG left DNA evidence behind, and that they actually found her body, that connected him. It is not a preventative measure AT ALL. They will reoffend. Does it make YOU feel any safer knowing that Mr. Offender is known to live at 123 Jones street in your community? Mr. Offender DOES leave his house. And as soon as he steps out the door, it no longer matters what his address is.

Ok here is what happens

Won't comment on the US, but California is special.

I wonder if it all comes down to shortage of money, too. Keeping a prisoner in jail costs a lot. A prisoner can sue the state, and it costs a lot. Reimbursing a forensic (!) psychiatrist costs a lot. I am far from blaming the governor of the most populous state, but COVID had become a watershed moment. I am thinking that these released prisoners need continuous mental health support, as prevention, and how difficult it would be to provide it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back