GUILTY MI - Mariha Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011

This case is beginning to sound an awful lot like Shaniya's case. :cry::cry:

If she was asleep, drunk or not she may have not heard an intrudor who likely entered her home between 3:30am and 7am.

For everyone who wishes to bash this mother, would you all bash Marc Klaas in the same manner for not waking up when a predator entered his home and abducted his daughter? Really. Because I see no difference when a predator enters a home while a parent is asleep during normal sleeping hours. Based on the timeline this child was safe and home at 3-3:30am and dead by 7:50 am. Would it have made a difference if the mother woke at 6am to find her child missing? Probably not.

JMO

I don't think Marc Klass lived in the same home with his daughter. I believe he was divorced from Polly's mother. The mother was not feeling well, and had gone to bed early, leaving Polly and her friends to continue with the sleepover when that murderer Davis broke in and took Polly. Davis had been watching Polly for a few days before he took her. Polly was not 5 years old, she was 12, and there were no babies to care for either, so I would not fault a sick woman for going to bed in that case.

It does have disturbing similarities. The Shaniya case broke my heart. I am beside myself about this child too.

These cases are just really hard to take, but I think we need to stand up for these tiny victims when those around them have failed to protect them.

I just read this article...

Fabric found from missing girls clothes?
There are new developments in the Amber Alert for a five-year-old girl from Detroit. Some new evidence could help solve the case, but it might not have the ending for which her family is hoping.
Sources told FOX 2's Alexis Wiley that a piece of fabric found on a body inside of a burned out house matches what Mariha Smith was wearing when she disappeared.
More...

I know, Salem. If I live to be a hundred, I'll never be able to erase from my mind the image of Shaniyah being carried out of that motel. :hug: Thanks to you guys who are keeping up with little Mariah. I just don't think I can. :no:

Detroit does not represent all of Michigan. Sadly the worst is what we hear about the most. Michigan is a beautiful state and Detroit was once too. Detroit is however, a land of its own.

I just watched the video and i cannot believe that poor baby's vigil is interrupted with Gun Fire. How disgraceful.

Detroit does not represent all of Michigan. Sadly the worst is what we hear about the most. Michigan is a beautiful state and Detroit was once too. Detroit is however, a land of its own.

as someone raised in michigan i can attest to this :). even most people in detroit are good. its only the crazies we hear about :sigh:

i am praying SO HARD for this little angel.

Ok, let me rephrase that, i will be keeping away from Detroit ;) I'm listening to the scanner and wow, shots fired, armed with a knife, fighting and someone has guns, child custody dispute, woman down, brother assaulted sister with a gun, all in the last 20 minutes. Sounds delightful.

Shots fired during the vigil?! Was it a warning to someone not to talk?

Shots fired during the vigil?! Was it a warning to someone not to talk?

No idea but one of the 'Uncles' FB page says he 'shoots to kill' - less than an hour ago.

The news reporter looked pretty shook up.

http://www.detnews.com/article/2011...1409/Police-hold-aunt-of-missing-Detroit-girl

Last Updated: July 27. 2011 1:00AM
Josh Katzenstein/ The Detroit News

Police hold aunt of missing Detroit girl
She fails lie detector test; family hopeful of 5-year-old's return

Police are holding Quanita Smith, aunt of 5-year-old Mariha Trenice Smith, after she failed a lie detector test this week during an investigation into her niece's disappearance.

ETA: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...nd-dead-in-burned-detroit-house-20110726-wpms

Updated: Tuesday, 26 Jul 2011, 10:37 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 26 Jul 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
By ALEXIS WILEY

A vigil was held Tuesday night for a little girl whose burned body was found inside a vacant house in Detroit on Sunday. Meanwhile, five-year-old Mariha Smith is still officially listed as missing.

It does have disturbing similarities. The Shaniya case broke my heart. I am beside myself about this child too.

These cases are just really hard to take, but I think we need to stand up for these tiny victims when those around them have failed to protect them.

I will never forget that video of Shaniya being carried in that hotel..:cry:

I will never forget that video of Shaniya being carried in that hotel..:cry:

Me too. While she is being carried in and waiting for the elevator---that is one of the most heartbreaking videos I have ever seen in my life. You can see the anxiety in her precious little face. I cannot get over that image. And this case has Shaniya vibes all over it, imo.

Henry said her daughter must be lying out of fear, but she didn't know the specifics of what the lie might be.

Henry's 55-year-old boyfriend who calls Mariha his granddaughter, thinks the remains from the charred house are those of Mariha.

http://detnews.com/article/20110727...ld-aunt-of-missing-Detroit-girl#ixzz1TIGlqTi4

The results of DNA testing to determine whether the burned remains of a child are that of a missing 5-year-old Detroit girl could be complete as soon as today, an official said.

Investigators retrieved the girl's DNA from Sinai-Grace Hospital, where she was born, and took a sample from her mother...

Meanwhile, police are still trying to determine the identity of a man who bought 41 cents in gasoline at a nearby gas station at 7:44 a.m. Sunday -- 10 minutes before the Detroit Fire Department was called to the burning home at 2918 Waverly and found the girl's body.

According to police, a man was seen running from the scene.

Police said Smith's boyfriend, who is a brother of the aunt's boyfriend, also was being sought for questioning.

http://www.freep.com/article/201107...ed-soon?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Huh? Reporters... when you have 12 siblings... that all apparently have the last name... you cannot refer to them all as "Smith."
Saying that Smith was detained after flunking her polygraph and then Smith was released after passing hers... doesn't work.

And this statement up there?? WHICH Smith's boyfriend?
He is a brother of the Aunt's boyfriend?
WHICH Aunt?
The Aunt who is being held for questioning?

Does that mean that the Smith who this sought after boyfriend is dating is not another "Aunt Smith?"
Which would mean it would be the mother he is dating?
She doesn't know where her boyfriend is?
This is the first we've heard of this.

My head is spinning. They have got to use full names. F Smith, Q Smith, K Smith, V Smith... etc.

Police are holding Quanita Smith, aunt of 5-year-old Mariha Trenice Smith, after she failed a lie detector test this week during an investigation into her niece's disappearance.
Quanita spent Monday and Tuesday at a Detroit Police precinct. She is not charged.
Her family said Tuesday she should tell the police anything she knows about Mariha.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110727...ld-aunt-of-missing-Detroit-girl#ixzz1TIi9aTKw

:waitasec: wonder if that should have added "YET" ?​

Police were unable to get Mariha's DNA from the home where she was staying because other children there were known to share personal hygiene items, including toothbrushes, the official said.
Further complicating the process, Smith told police she doesn't know where her daughter's father is, the official said.

Detroit police officers brought the aunt's boyfriend in for questioning, and an arson dog capable of detecting flammable liquids was expected to be used on him, sources told the Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110727/NEWS05/107270430/DNA-test-results-burned-remains-child-expected-soon?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

"expected to be used on him" Odd way to state that :giggle:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back