Possible Diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy (must be 18) followed by five or more of the characteristics below:
- Feels grandiose and self-important (e.g., exaggerates accomplishments, talents, skills, contacts, and personality traits to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements);
- Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion;
- Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions);
- Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation – or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (Narcissistic Supply);
- Feels entitled. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her unreasonable expectations for special and favorable priority treatment;
- Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends;
- Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with, acknowledge, or acceptthefeelings, needs, preferences, priorities, and choices of others;
- Constantly envious of others and seeks to hurt or destroy the objects of his or her frustration. Suffers from persecutory (paranoid) delusions as he or she believes that they feel the same about him or her and are likely to act similarly;
- Behaves arrogantly and haughtily. Feels superior, omnipotent, omniscient, invincible, immune, "above the law", and omnipresent (magical thinking). Rages when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted by people he or she considers inferior to him or her and unworthy.

http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe07.html

Seen this one before. It is suposed to be rare but we find it often in murderers.
I can see all but one for sure. The next to the last says Constaantly envieous of others and seeks to destroy objects they feel the same about and are to act simialary.
Right off I would say this is Caylee. But I do not know enough about psychiatry to really understand the meaning of this quote. I do know Casey hits on everything else and that is way too many to disregard.
What does the next to the last quote mean?

Never mind. I reread it and she definately has all these signs. It is sad because it really does tell us she likely, or in my opinion definately , killed Caylee.
I bet it is really difficult to fit someone in all the symptoms. Casey has all of them. I wonder how many are needed to diangnos. I did see you need 5 to fit the signs. That is why I have wanted to see her mental evaluation. I'd also like to see the woman that stabbed her psychiatrist husband that had the 2 sons. Dang I forget her name. She took on her own defense. I think it would be really rare to be able to see these glowing neon signs she is mentally off. I have to question her parents denial. But I think they have covered for her so long they are just hoping she did not kill her daughter. I think now they are starting to know she did.

I am sorry. My posts got screwed up. I tried to reply and it did not work so I sent it again and lost part of my post.
I think the opening post is great. I find the Narcistic personality fits like a shoe. And I am so glad it was posted.

Casey's new attorney says she does not have any latent mental defects and that she is not psychotic.

Is that some sort of double speak to make it sound like she does not have any current mental problems when she really does? Would he have seen the mental evaluation by now?

Casey's new attorney says she does not have any latent mental defects and that she is not psychotic.

Is that some sort of double speak to make it sound like she does not have any current mental problems when she really does? Would he have seen the mental evaluation by now?
He did surprize us by saying she was not mentally ill. Anyone that has kept up with this case knows she is crazy. It is bad for the defense to say she is not insane because they certainly could use this in trial.
On the other hand she is not crazy as in the definition of insanity. She certainly knows right from wrong. She is nuts on the side of being narcisistic and not caring in anyway about her own child. Her attorney would have a hard time pursuing the insanity defense since she is intelligent and seems to be certainly consciouse of time and place. He is getting record attention for this trial and I think he will go all the way out for it. It will make him a valued defense attorney. Even though we can all see Casey will not cooperate and is telling lies.

The psych report was turned in to the court, so her lawyers have definitely seen it. Sounds like doublespeak to me. Just by the actions and behaviors we've seen from Casey, it seems fair to say she has some type of personality disorder. But her lawyer is surely not going to be the one to divulge that.

On the other hand, saying what she doesn't have (a psychotic and/or depressive disorder) would serve to minimize her culpabilty or seem less "guilty."

The irony is, having a personality disorder is far worse from a criminal standpoint.

Normal people do not do the stuff this Casey has done...
she says she knew the babysitter for what?
1 1/2 -2 years and yet the apartment does not contain any babysitter let alone AFG.
not mental?
oh yes she is and they had better start codling her so she will give the info about Caylee to the public...
oh yes....on one video a person named Patrick Bourgeois ,
well look up on the web that name and get back here with results...
i found a child by that name was murdered by his abusive parents...
the PB who visited Casey says remember/ then says Mike Walker[ is her former classmate & friend] in her alumni page he is listed.
So check that out too her graduating class alumni
see who all is on her list as classmates...interesting.
I could not find a copy of her yearbook to read the captions and all for her or anyone else...
that too would be interessting...

1 1/2 -2 years and yet the apartment does not contain any babysitter let alone AFG.
not mental?
oh yes she is and they had better start codling her so she will give the info about Caylee to the public...
the PB who visited Casey says remember/ then says Mike Walker[ is her former classmate & friend] in her alumni page he is listed.
I could not find a copy of her yearbook to read the captions and all for her or anyone else...

:waitasec:

sorry if this seems rushed...lots of things to say in a small space hope you can understand my point.....

not mental?

Serial killers have done far worse than Casey & THEY'RE almost never deemed "insane."

It's very obvious that she was very, very careful to hide Caylee's disappearance from her family, friends & casual acquaintances. And she was fully aware that her mother wanted to speak to Caylee so it's not as if she can even pretend she completely forgot she was supposed to have a child with her.

Serial killers have done far worse than Casey & THEY'RE almost never deemed "insane."

It's very obvious that she was very, very careful to hide Caylee's disappearance from her family, friends & casual acquaintances. And she was fully aware that her mother wanted to speak to Caylee so it's not as if she can even pretend she completely forgot she was supposed to have a child with her.

I agree. IIRC some of the more notorious serial killers never even gave friends or family an indication that there was anything wrong.
I think either Borderline Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder or some combination of the two.

the spending spree, stealing money, partying non-stop despite her daughter's disappearance, delusions of grandeur all point to a bipolar manic phase (axis 1 diagnosis). I do think she has borderline or narcissistic personalty disorder too (axis 2 diagnosis)

Thanks for the Welcome OneLostGirl!

I have to disagree with this part of your assesment. You do not really have the withdrawal symptoms from Cocaine as compared to say Heroin or Meth, especially if you haven't been using it that long. Cocaine is expensive and fairly prevalent around Orlando in some circles (such as possibly the rap promoter scene she seems to have gotten involved in with TonE) and would also explain the LARGE amounts of money she quickly ran up on Cindy's CC as well as the theft of money from Amy, needed to support the habit -especially if she was hooking up every one around her (TonE and friends, etc.)

Just another Party Girl trying to look cool to her new circle of friends.

You have a point! I honestly never give Cocaine much of a thought these days with all the other stuff people are taking that are so much less expensive.

Thanks for pointing this out to me!

the spending spree, stealing money, partying non-stop despite her daughter's disappearance, delusions of grandeur all point to a bipolar manic phase (axis 1 diagnosis). I do think she has borderline or narcissistic personalty disorder too (axis 2 diagnosis)

I agree except that what you point out as Bipolar behavior is also Borderline behavior. The two are often misdiagnosed as one-another because many of the symptoms are the same.

not mental?

Our sleuthers have already looked into the people you named above..

I agree except that what you point out as Bipolar behavior is also Borderline behavior. The two are often misdiagnosed as one-another because many of the symptoms are the same.

Very very true. I work in a hospital with a psych unit. May of these patients have both. Bipolar will respond to meds (providing the patient takes them as directed, which is a problem). Borderline will not.

I'm sure we'll never know unless Casey gets on some kind of mood stabilizer. They will probably start her on a an antidepressant, which many times makes bipolar worse without a mood stabilizer.

My husband's ex has borderline. She's impossible to deal with. Completely manipulative. I hate answering the phone, because I never know whether I'll get a rage call or an "I'm pretending to be nice" call. Her manipulations do remind me of Casey. I never thought she'd hurt the kids, though, and she did. They are okay.

The exam she has just had would have been ordered by the court, correct? To determine whether or not she is capable of assisting in her own defense?

Would this exam have dealt strictly with her ability to assist in her defense - insane vs. sane, as opposed to being a diagnostic exam to attempt to determine what exactly her overall problem(s) is/are?

And then, trying to put a positive spin on it, the lawyer says "She does not have a major mental illness" etc.

Very very true. I work in a hospital with a psych unit. May of these patients have both. Bipolar will respond to meds (providing the patient takes them as directed, which is a problem). Borderline will not.

I'm sure we'll never know unless Casey gets on some kind of mood stabilizer. They will probably start her on a an antidepressant, which many times makes bipolar worse without a mood stabilizer.

My husband's ex has borderline. She's impossible to deal with. Completely manipulative. I hate answering the phone, because I never know whether I'll get a rage call or an "I'm pretending to be nice" call. Her manipulations do remind me of Casey. I never thought she'd hurt the kids, though, and she did. They are okay.

I have Bipolar disorder (now "under control" with meds and lifestyle changes) and was raised by a Borderline mother (Gosh, ya wanna talk manipulative LOL)so I understand the medication and behavior issues of which you speak.

I disagree with you, however, that medication will not help a person with Borderline personality. Although there are no meds approved to treat it, it is shown that medication (mood stabalizers and anti-psychotics, antidepressants, anti-anxiety, etc etc) can help alleviate associated symptoms of the disorder.

My mother, for example has been her most stable while on Zyprexa. It takes awayher suicidal ideations.. it lessens her depression, mood swings, anxiety and the impulsive & aggressive behaviors. Of course I do realize that therapy is the most important aspect to successful treatment.

As for your husbands X- she hasn't outright "hurt" her children but she has hurt them, mentally, I assure you! I can't begin to explain the years of work it has taken to begin to un-do what my mother (unknowingly) did to me. She loves me the best she can, (I knew that then I know it now) but she really doesn't know enough about "normal" love to raise healthy children... I think her "splitting" was what harmed me the most because I never could figure out what I had done wrong!

Anyway, let me stop rambling-

back to Casey.. IMO without more information and because of the overlap of symptoms (which makes it hard at times for even professionals to properly diagnose) between Bipolar and BPD it is hard to say what she has. Hell, she could have neither LOL.

As a retired licensed psych, I have to agree. But remember when up that high she will have to come down sooner or later. It appears we are seeing some of that also.
Also, if there were any street drugs involved, we could be "off" a bit.

I have Bipolar disorder (now "under control" with meds and lifestyle changes) and was raised by a Borderline mother (Gosh, ya wanna talk manipulative LOL)so I understand the medication and behavior issues of which you speak.

I disagree with you, however, that medication will not help a person with Borderline personality. Although there are no meds approved to treat it, it is shown that medication (mood stabalizers and anti-psychotics, antidepressants, anti-anxiety, etc etc) can help alleviate associated symptoms of the disorder.

My mother, for example has been her most stable while on Zyprexa. It takes awayher suicidal ideations.. it lessens her depression, mood swings, anxiety and the impulsive & aggressive behaviors. Of course I do realize that therapy is the most important aspect to successful treatment.

As for your husbands X- she hasn't outright "hurt" her children but she has hurt them, mentally, I assure you! I can't begin to explain the years of work it has taken to begin to un-do what my mother (unknowingly) did to me. She loves me the best she can, (I knew that then I know it now) but she really doesn't know enough about "normal" love to raise healthy children... I think her "splitting" was what harmed me the most because I never could figure out what I had done wrong!

Anyway, let me stop rambling-

back to Casey.. IMO without more information and because of the overlap of symptoms (which makes it hard at times for even professionals to properly diagnose) between Bipolar and BPD it is hard to say what she has. Hell, she could have neither LOL.
I agree that there is a definite overlap of symptoms in this case. If she was on SSRI's it could have been part of the problem. It's interesting in a lot of the cases where mom murdered their children they were found to be on SSRI antidepressants. Paxil has recently admitted that they have known for a while now just how dangerous Paxil is.

Seen this one before. It is suposed to be rare but we find it often in murderers.
I can see all but one for sure. The next to the last says Constaantly envieous of others and seeks to destroy objects they feel the same about and are to act simialary.
Right off I would say this is Caylee. But I do not know enough about psychiatry to really understand the meaning of this quote. I do know Casey hits on everything else and that is way too many to disregard.
What does the next to the last quote mean?

Hi, actually antisocial personality disorder is often found in murders (aka sociopath). Nevertheless, antisocial pd has been coupled with narcissistic pd in several criminal cases.

Here is the criteria for antisocial pd
There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

- failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
- deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
- impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
- irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
- reckless disregard for safety of self or others
- consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
- lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another

http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe04.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member