AL - Angel Downs, 45, fatally shot, Gulf Shores, 9 May 2010

Old Radio friend Daniel McBryde talks about case Murder case against Mobile County Commissioner Steve Nodine continues to build take a look at some of his other posts on Nodine. He's quite forth coming about drug activity.

Bail burden keeps Nodine behind bars "Nodine's bond is set at $500,000. Per orders from Baldwin County, $100,000 of that has to be corporate surety, meaning that it has to come from a bail bonding company. The other $400,000 is a property bond, like someone putting up their house."

Crimesider CBS News: Stephen Nodine, Alabama County Commissioner, Charged in Alleged Mistress Angel Downs' Murder This includes some very beautiful photos of Angel Downs and her memorial in Gulf Shores.

Yesterday was a very interesting day.

Different people have been asking Steve Nodine to resign from his County Commissioner job over the last week.

The impeachment was going forward. They asked that Nodine's County Commissioner Atty. Erwin testify. He didn't want to and said he wouldn't answer questions unless a judge told him to - calling client-atty privileges.

Although it was noted he had already told the media all about going to Nodine's home and getting guns. He said Nodine was a basket-case when he and Ross the other County Atty. showed up. The wife was very upset, Nodine was sobbing uncontrollably. Erwin said he took the guns to protect Nodine and his family. (My question was why not let the investigating officers do it? Why didn't they call them?)

The impeachment judge told Erwin he had to testify and then all of a sudden Erwin calls for Nodine to resign and Nodine's lawyer Dennis Knizley walks across the room and hands in Nodines resignation. Then the other Commissioner, Mike Dean calls for Erwin's resignation stating Erwin only worked for Nodine and was now not needed.

Erwin is up for Republican candidate for DA on Tues. He claims this is all political.

Word is Nodines is still trying to raise bail but will probably sit in jail over the Memorial Day weekend. He sits in the maximum security wing and wears the symbolic black and white striped prison garb depicting his high risk status. Then last night the word was new Federal weapons charges are being brought against Nodine.

I believe Nodine is a huge suicide risk, his whole persona has been built on his political life and I believe he is a person who has low esteem who relied on control, pills, women and power to make himself feel good. I would be very leery letting this man out of jail.

I also question the impeachment charges just being dropped. Isn't a crime a crime? Shouldn't Nodine still be charged?

And Fox10 News has begun a series looking into Steve Nodine's Not So Secret Life

Erwin Calls For Nodine’s Resignation

Nodine In Maximum Security Wing

Stephen Nodine resigns from Mobile County Commission; now faces federal weapons charge

Why wouldn't Gulf Shore's DA Judy Newcomb want to search Nodine's home for letters or computer, emails, searches, etc?

We've got one of the best computer and cell investigators in the US in Spanish Fort. Gus Dimitrelos, Alabama Computer Forensics Laboratory, Former Secret Service Agent. 251-625-0292 http://www.alcfl.org/

I'm also willing to bet there maybe even more federal charges if they took a look at his computer.

Nodine not getting out of jail US Marshalls has a Federal hold on him

A comment from story on WKRG:
Yes actually their were reports that it was her own weapon which was left at the scene that killed her…No doubt to try to make it look like a suicide. I do believe this was planned ahead of time…so makes sense that he wouldn’t use his own or County weapon. Her friends reported that she found him cleaning her gun prior to her killing and it made her uneasy…Suppose he held on to it as I doubt if she felt that threatened by him that she would have met him outside with her gun just in case…was probably the excuse to stop by and sure hope it was a text he sent her regarding that….

Taloney Tweets Fri May 28, 2010
• Nodine's attorney wants bond reduced from $500,000 to $50,000
• Nodine requests a bond reduction. Hearing scheduled for 11am Tuesday

Murder and the Politician Friday, May 28, 2010 by Diane Fanning True Crime Author at Womenincrimeink.com

Editorial: A matter of Rich's record and Erwin's poor judgment By Press-Register Editorial Board May 29, 2010, 5:03AM

Feds may keep Stephen Nodine in jail even if he makes bail By Robert McClendon May 29, 2010, 5:25AM

Nodine indicted on federal gun charges Friday, 28 May 2010, 6:00 PM CDT April Douglas

Nodine Detained on Federal Gun Charge 5/28 6:10 pm by: Andrea Ramey Local15tv.com NBC

Comment from WKRG: weathergirl Says: Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:04 pm
If my memory serves me correctly, Angel had filed like 9 restraining orders against Nodine with the most recent being 6 months before she was killed. Officers were called and were present in some instances during his domestic rages but did not arrest him. I, too, hope he rots.

Nodine Requests Bond Reduction by Jessica Taloney Published: Fri, May 28, 2010 - 3:10 pm CST

* Stephen Nodine's gun charge linked to alleged drug use By Robert McClendon May 28, 2010, 10:34AM

* Includes pdf of actual court doc

I've attached a pdf of the Mobile County page for Steve Nodine. (They've already removed) Take a look at hist Vita - he states he was a media consultant but the West Palm Beach Post says he was in sales. I wonder if anything else is padded?

Attachments

• nodineguncharge.pdf
    30.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Mobile County_ Stephen Nodine.pdf
    620.9 KB · Views: 6
Cha Cha....thanks for all of the info and links on this very interesting case!

Thanks Blonde - I'm hoping for national media to pick it up. I beleive there maybe other victims. And hopefully more criminal charges coming Nodine's way.

Nodine Friend Speaks Out by Mel Showers/WKRG Staff Published: Sat, May 29, 2010 - 10:49 pm CST

MOBILE, Alabama - Mickey Dearmon says the Steve Nodine he knows is simply not capable of murder.

Dearmon put up Nodine in his home before the former Mobile County Commissioner was booked into the Baldwin County Jail, charged with the murder of Angel Downs.

Dearmon says he and others are working to raise the bail necessary to get Nodine out of jail.

But even if Nodine is able to bond out on the murder charge, he'll remain behind bars.

The U.S. Marshals Service has a hold on Nodine on a firearms charge, so he will have to face a federal judge before he can be released.

Search for Clues in Case http://blog.al.com/live/top_stories/index.htmlAngel Downs case: Lack of equipment, concerns over accuracy prevent gunshot residue tests in Alabama By [URL="http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/angel_downs_murder_ack_of_equi.html"] Brendan Kirby Press Register May 30, 2010
[/URL]

May 30, 2010, 7:08AM

Why is it that none of us said anything? By Frances Coleman May 30, 2010, 5:59AM

I agree with Ms Coleman and I'd like to also ask a few specific questions about Mr. Nodine. I am confused by what Mr Nodine says are his accomplishments. To put it bluntly they're very vague and I believe very exaggerated. For example he has often bragged he was a personal friend and Aide of Alexander Haig - who just passed away this Feb. Here's what was said by Nodine about himself: (my remarks are in red)

Nodine personal description of self accomplishments
Graduated in 1981 then joined the US Army where I went to school and still serve as a consultant in the Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Field (HazMat?) After serving my country in West Germany and Central America during the Cold War I started working as a governmental relations officer working with cities and counties throughout the state of Florida. (Jaycee?) I then worked for former Secretary of State Alexander Haig (6 months?) and then worked with the Bush-Quayle Campaign of 1988. In 1990 I help start Connors Nursery which help serve children abused and children with the AIDs virus. (Volunteer positions) I moved to Alabama in 1992 and love it!

Previous Domestic Violence
Nodine’s ex-girlfriends accused him of harassment and assault in April 1987 with the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office. Palm Beach County sheriff's deputies responded to a neighbor's complaint of screaming from an apartment in unincorporated West Palm Beach. According to a sheriff's report, an ex-girlfriend complained that Nodine had entered her apartment by cutting a porch screen and was waiting for her when she came home at 1:30 a.m.

The woman claimed Nodine "struck her several times on the legs." She did not want to press charges, according to the report, "but she stated that she just wanted him out and for him not to return to residence." "The victim and the suspect had broken up approximately four months prior to this incident happening and from that time on, he had been harassing her," Public Information Officer Teri Barbera said.

Three month after the report was filed, Nodine was honorably discharged from the Florida Army National Guard.

This would have been around the time he was supposedly working for his mentor Haig. He was also evicted from his apt.

Below is from the Mobile County Commissioner page:
Nodine Remembers Friend, Mentor in Haig February 22, 2010
Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine called former Secretary of State and retired Army Gen. Alexander Haig a dear friend, hero, mentor, and father figure after news broke early Saturday that he had died at the age of 85.

Nodine served as the advance coordinator for Haig during his 1987-1988 presidential campaign through New Hampshire, Michigan and Florida. He had known Gen. Haig as a family friend and started up a lively correspondence with the general in 1982. At that time, Nodine was an Army private stationed in Germany. Nodine carried on a correspondence with the Haig family ever since. (Haig was out by Feb 1988 before the New Hampshire primary)

“He was not gruff, but really down to earth, compassionate, very humorous and a he really had a pulse of the common man,” Nodine said. “I learned so much from him, especially on foreign policy.”

Gen. Haig had a hand in helping Nodine in his political efforts in Mobile. When Nodine found himself in a runoff for a Mobile City Council seat against Charles Waller in 2001, Gen. Haig sent a letter on Nodine’s behalf to all 7th District constituents. Nodine won the race with 2,800 votes to Waller’s 1,900. The victory launched Nodine’s political career.

I’d very much like to see a copy of this letter and ask if it was verified authentic? This is the same time he got evicted from his apt and domestic violence report came out.

“I’ve known the Haig family since 1983 and traveled extensively with them through the presidential primary,” said Nodine. “Alexander Haig was a great man who gave his all to a country he loved. We are better off as a nation and a people for the many efforts he made during his years in public service.”

Mr Nodine has been purposely vague on when, where and what he did before coming to Mobile. No Corporate environment would accept this as remotely resembling a Vita. Why does no one do background checks on politicians.

Education

Attended 1978 - 1981 Palm Beach Gardens High School Graduated Class of 1981 age 18

Completion of County Commission Continued Education Courses, Auburn University (Workshop?)

Continued Education Coursework, Auburn University (What and when?)
Monterey Peninsula College (Community College - When was he in CA? 1 class?)

City College of Chicago (When was he in Chicago? 1 class?)

Honorary Bachelor's Degree, Remington College (From a career college goes under honors not education - unless you don’t have anything to put in education)

Accepted to the Naval Post Graduate School, Homeland Security, Monterey, CA (Accepted means he never attended and means no documentation. My husband was accepted to Yale but he never put on a resume.)

Professional Background (Not to be confused with real employment)

External Affairs/Governmental Relations Officer, Metropolitan Systems (A group that places park benches at bus stops-which he has placed a fancy title in front of)

Political and Media Consultant, NBC, Mobile (He was a frequent guest on Uncle Show and McBryde Radio show)

Media Consultant – WRMF/WJNO News Talk Radio, West Palm Beach, FL (Salesman selling airtime, how long did he do this full or part time? Did he actually make a salary or commission job? How long?)

Advance Coordinator – Former Secretary of State General Alexander Haig, Jr.

Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Training Non-Commissioned Officer, Florida Army National Guard (Trained to do Hazmat cleanup?)

Active Duty and Training Coordinator, 7th Infantry Division (Light Infantry), United States Army ( 6 yr military career)

Chief elected officer of Mobile Works

Member of the Planning and Zoning Commission, 2001-2003

Political Background
Elected to Mobile City Council, 2001

Insurance Committee Chairperson, 2001-2004

Public Safety Committee, 2001-2004

Appointed to Mobile County Commission on July 2, 2004

Elected to County Commission District 2 on Nov. 2, 2004

Re-elected to County Commission District 2 on Nov. 4, 2008

Economic, Cultural, and Civic Development Committee

Served on Alabama Sentencing Commission, 2004-2008 (I found this to be ironic)

Obituary Listing

Legacy

Angel Katherine Downs

Born in Whitman AFB, MO on Dec. 21, 1964
Departed on May 9, 2010 and resided in Gulf Shores, AL.
spacer.gif
Visitation: No Visitation Service: Saturday, May 15, 2010 Please click on the links above for locations, times, maps, and directions.
Angel K. Downs, 45, entered into rest on Sunday, May 9, 2010.

Ms. Downs was born on December 21, 1964, at Whitman Air Force Base, Missouri. She was a broker at Benchmark Homes Realty in Alabama.

Her memory will forever be treasured by her parents, John Hinckley and Thelma Hinckley; brother, David Hinckley; sisters, Janice Hurt (Michael), Susan Bloodworth (Keith), and Melanie White (John); dear friend, Chris Downs; two nieces and three nephews.

Memorial services will be held at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 15, 2010, in the chapel of McCullough Funeral Home, Reverends Chuck Morris and Jerry Walls officiating. In lieu of flowers, the family respectfully suggests memorial donations be made to Southside Baptist Church Missions Fund, 1040 South Houston Lake Road, Warner Robins GA 31088.

Wow ChaCha, Great sources! Guess he was part of the South's famous "Good 'Ole Boys" Club to have coasted this long and this far!

As a resident of District 2 and lifetime resident of Semmes, Al. I will NOT be helping Mickey raise bail money. Keep him under lock and key!!!

Take a look. I am concerened now that Steve has resigned what happens to the criminal charges included in the impeachment? I hope he doesn't get away with them?

A crime is a crime isn't it?

Documents include:

• Divorce
  • Impeachment
  • Federal Gun/Drug Charge

Attachments

• nodineagreement.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • nodineanswerwaiver.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 2
  • nodineindict.pdf
    213.2 KB · Views: 5
  • nodineguncharge.pdf
    30.1 KB · Views: 5
Drugs

It’s long been said Steven Nodine has had a drug problem, The Grand Jury indicted Steve for much more. What about criminal charges on drugs, misuse of funds, violation of protection orders, etc? He resigned so what happens now?

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT] Stephen Nodine's gun charge linked to alleged drug use by McClendon 5/28/2010

[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT] Atty: Took months to build Nodine case, Wanted to do the investigation correctly 5/17/2010

"Found some marijuana. Found some behind the seat on the passenger side in a pill bottle with his name on it, and found some rolling papers. It was a Lortab, hydrocodone, pill bottle; your basic standard pill bottle. There was also a similar pill bottle that he just had filled the day before that had 100 Lorotabs,"

"Basically over an 11-month period, he got in excess of 2,400 hydrocodones, that's imported from doctors in nine different pharmacies and several states. To construct a possession, we had to put him in exclusive control of the vehicle, so we had to get gas receipts. It's a brand new vehicle, so we had to get the records on the vehicle," Billy added.

Billy said the investigation was lengthy because they wanted to be thorough. He said the past months were very beneficial in his investigation and they uncovered even more that will help come trial time.

Mr. Nodine tested positive for marijuana and opiates in a May 11 drug screening.

[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT] Nodine faces impeachment over drugs, affair; Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine arrested, faces impeachment charges 5/14/2010

Nodine has been accused of:

• Using his county-issued pickup truck for “personal and recreational pursuits” including using the vehicle to conduct “a long term, open and notorious extramarital affair” with Angel Downs. At one point, in 2008, he lost one county truck during Mardi Gras for six days. More recently, Nodine drove a county truck to Don Carlos restaurant in Daphne after drinking beer on the beach and spending the day with Downs, the bill says.

• Asking for county reimbursement for alcohol, fuel and food in New Orleans that were not related to his official duties.

• Committing multiple acts of domestic violence in his extra-marital relationship with Downs, including stalking, harassment, verbal and physical abuse, and threats. During two such incidents, the bill says, Nodine invoked his official position as a commissioner to dissuade Downs from seeking police protection.

• Using fraudulent prescriptions to obtain more than 2,400 hydrocodone pills from at least nine pharmacies in four states between March 2009 and January 2010.

[FONT=&quot]4.[/FONT]Steve Nodine and Me by Shane McBryde

Nodine’s entrée into the radio station came from his befriending one of the stations disc jockey’s at the time named Chris Smith, who also hosted a show on the cable company’s public access channel as a character Smith created called “Uncle Henry.” Smith, Nodine and I were friends, though we didn’t all hang out together at the same time, in part because we all shared an affinity for three things, radio, politics and marijuana. At some point, and for reason I don’t remember, Nodine and Smith had a falling out.

Nodine had acquired an access key to the radio station and used it one morning to enter the building about five o’clock. He went into the broadcast booth where Smith was hosting the morning show with his partner and proceeded to tell Chris he would, “snap his neck like a twig.”

The other occasion occurred in much the same way. Steve called me at the radio station, this time a little closer to 5 am, my shift ended at 5:30am, and said he had bought a television for his wife Kimberly, for whatever reason she was upset with him at the time and scolded him about something. Nodine related to me he got so mad he threw the television on the floor in front of her, smashing it into pieces.

I must say I knew all along that Steve liked to drink, chase women, and smoke dope.

[FONT=&quot]5.[/FONT] Ethics, drugs and murder charges pile on politico by Kevin Lee 5/16/2010
Nodine’s behavior was obvious to anyone with open eyes. He cultivated a sizable reputation for crassness, arrogance and licentiousness. The group of party friends he had were known for a fondness of cocaine and anything else they could get their hands on.

[FONT=&quot]6.[/FONT] Sheriff: Drugs found in Nodine's truck Commissioner says he offered to take blood test , 12/28/2009

Cha Cha, thanks again for the updates & background on this case(s). What a cast of characters!

Very Interesting reading includes:
Angel Downs House search warrant - Ltrs, computer, phones
Telephone Warrant
Nodine Truck Inventory - includes blood swabs and change of clothes
Nodine Warrant
Nodine Indictment - says Nodine intentionally shot Angel Downs

Attachments

• downsnodinehousesearch.pdf
    459.9 KB · Views: 5
  • nodinephonewarrant.pdf
    351.1 KB · Views: 3
  • nodinetruckinventory.pdf