2011.05.16 Sidebar Thread (Juror Selection Day Seven)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jurors will be sequestered the entire time and they will not go ANYWHERE without security guards of some kind. Not even to the restroom in a restaurant.

I think I`d have JP turn the mic off for the whole questioning period. It really seems personal and to have to make a definite decision on the death penalty is really difficult when you haven`t put much thought into it before.

And you would be 100% within your rights to do so.

I think I`d have JP turn the mic off for the whole questioning period. It really seems personal and to have to make a definite decision on the death penalty is really difficult when you haven`t put much thought into it before.
The jurors today have had a week to think about it. Even if they haven't reached a firm conclusion they should be able to talk about it, imo.

Does anyone else wonder about the "on a scale of 1 to 10" question asked by AF???

I have been wondering if that question opens up and doors in an appeal process?

It just seems to me an odd question given that the scale means nothing as sentence follows instructions by the Judge.

I have no doubt HHJP would have nipped any issues in the bud...but it just strikes me as odd.
her scale is just a measuring tool.. appeals? not so much imhoo..

(I might add that I found her question leading up to her scale confusing to many jurors and the record reflects this with their follow up questions, comments, and utternaces of confusion)

moo

I would think the Judge would want more than 4 alternates. I mean after all the DT has hired some people that have left us all question if they have clean hands. It only takes some innocent person who knows where they are going to dinner, to happen to bump into them in the bathroom or where ever they go on an outing. To try and knock a juror off. They only have to do that 4 times. I know highly unlikely but with this Jury pool I can see at least 3 maybe leaving before trial ends.

Edit to clarify, by stating Knock off I mean talk to them about the case to get them excused.

I agree. And 8 weeks is a very long time. Someone could get sick or a child or spouse could get sick or injured or there could be a family emergency during that time. Or one of the jurors could 'taint' one or two of the others by discussing something they learned from a family member. 3 alternates is cutting it close, imo

I can't speak to the legal aspects, but it looked to me like she was just asking them for a rough guesstimate. She didn't say you must be specific like I think a person would have to.

I also agree and think the defense team was the "stealthy" one here.. trying to figure out how each juror would weigh mitigating factors, aggravating factors, and their own personal feeling on the death penalty after volumes of confusing law was read to them...

I think in several cases they dismissed perfectly good candidates (if even to be alternates) based on their shoddy questioning.

moo

her scale is just a measuring tool.. appeals? not so much imhoo..

(I might add that I found her question leading up to her scale confusing to many jurors and the record reflects this with their follow up questions, comments, and utternaces of confusion)

moo

Yes, I agree - I think she asked some very leading questions that directly contradicted HHJ's instructions.

That really confused some of the PJ's.

A question: Do I understand correctly that tomorrow the state and the defense will use their strikes to eliminate those they don't want - out of the 17 prospective jurors we now have? Then, those left will be sworn, sequestered, and sent by bus to Orlando? And, that the remainder of the day will be devoted to selecting more jurors to make up the alternates?

see you guys in the morning... (i have a few nights off thank god so don't have to go sleep deprived LOL)

I am VERY looking forward to the process tomorrow...

did anyone notice at the end of today's jury selection LDB was talking to JB? Oh she is so smart, I just knew she was talking to him trying to see if she could gleam anything about who he was going to strike. She is so cool and knows JB so well that I bet she got loads of info from JB. All she had to do was stroke his ego just a tiny bit then talk about the thunderstorm yesterday

I was wondering if she was innocently asking him who he was planning on striking and telling him who she was going after but not really be exactly truthful if you know what I mean. :great:

I am confused as to why so many factors are up the judge in a DP case; why isn't there a required # of alternates in a DP case? And a precise way of handling jury selection? I don't like the fact that his making it up as he goes along could come back in appeal issues and don't understand why this process is not all set out in law. This is Florida after all, they are pretty used to DP cases.

Does anyone else wonder about the "on a scale of 1 to 10" question asked by AF???

I have been wondering if that question opens up and doors in an appeal process?

It just seems to me an odd question given that the scale means nothing as sentence follows instructions by the Judge.

I have no doubt HHJP would have nipped any issues in the bud...but it just strikes me as odd.

I think it is to listen to what they say, how they say it and their body language. To much towards the death penalty then they might get rid of them.

I think it is law cluciano.. he has been citing it since day one... including the alternate method he is using.. as well as each time he objects to a motion for cause...

I personally am not worried about it.. just moo..

see you guys in the morning... (i have a few nights off thank god so don't have to go sleep deprived LOL)

I am VERY looking forward to the process tomorrow...

Before you go to Bed nursebeeme, I'm concerned about your LACK of exercise these days.

I only remember you mowing the back 40, cleaning your entire house and there was something else, where you planting some flower beds? Aren't you concerned about being so lethargic? :floorlaugh:

This whole Casey/DT "dance" we've been observing has been niggling at my brain. Today I finally figured out what it all reminds me of: A rich bridezilla treating her poor-relation bridesmaids like lowly servants. Well, methinks the bridesmaids are about ready to hike up their poofy skirts and run for the hills. But this is always Casey's MO: Be it her grandparents, her friends, her brother, her parents OR her attorneys, Casey bites the hands that feed her.

I think the process is provided for in the Florida laws. There are basically two methods of selecting juries. He is using one of the methods. I think he is following the rules.

I am confused as to why so many factors are up the judge in a DP case; why isn't there a required # of alternates in a DP case? And a precise way of handling jury selection? I don't like the fact that his making it up as he goes along could come back in appeal issues and don't understand why this process is not all set out in law. This is Florida after all, they are pretty used to DP cases.

I searched the Florida rules on this, and there is no set rule about alternates for any jury trial as I read it, judge's discretion. I did see that only capital cases get 12 jurors there, others get 6. A factoid I didn't know.

I don't understand the victim impact statement. The DT makes a point of talking about it and how it is so emotional, but the jury cannot use it in their decision. Then what is the point of giving it? And who exactly do they think will give the statement? Someone from WS?

I don't understand the victim impact statement. The DT makes a point of talking about it and how it is so emotional, but the jury cannot use it in their decision. Then what is the point of giving it? And who exactly do they think will give the statement? Someone from WS?
That would be a good question for the ask the lawyers thread.

No doubt Judge Perry knows Florida law like the back of his hand. He is, after all, the chief judge (for the 7th term) in the Ninth Judicial Circuit which serves Orange and Osceola counties. I have no doubt whatsoever that Judge Perry's decisions will not be appealed, he is just that thorough. I have the utmost respect for the man and am very pleased that he was chosen to preside over this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member