2011.06.23 TRIAL Day Twenty-six (Afternoon Session)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have missed most of the day - hopefully I can catch up fast.....just wanted to say hello to everyone.

To the defense: You can't impeach an expert about his expert opinion unless you have another expert who came to a different conclusion.

I heard him say that to JA, but what happens when the SA knows more about the subject than the expert? It would seem proper to be able to go on questioning and challenging his findings.... JMO

KBelichWFTVKathi Belich, WFTV
Logan never saw the evidence from trunk and state says his lab would not be able to test it if he had gotten it

31 minutes ago

FBI special agent Nick Savage is waiting in wings upstairs.. State is taking on Logan's expertise ina big way..

33 minutes ago

Dr. Logan resigned under controversy, according to reports, in 2008 from a Washington State lab because of doubts over its DUI test results

2 hours ago

Does anyone think Simms caused this problem, asking questions that almost opened the door for the State, because she is not used to the nuances of a criminal trial?

Not sure why this is so hard to figure out . . . it seems if the defense asked if he could replicate the test, why can't Ashton ask more about that?

If I understand correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), it is because it is not the DT's burden to prove anything. It is the State's. So their witness didn't HAVE to test anything and can't be impeached or whatever due to not testing it.

To the defense: You can't impeach an expert about his expert opinion unless you have another expert who came to a different conclusion.

So for this case in particular, does this mean they cannot Impeach Dr. Vass's expert opinion, when they themselves do not have another expert opinion?? If that is the case, i understand what is going on here now.

What scares me is that if it's a mistrial because of the prosecutors mistake, then it's possible for the defense to argue double-jeopardy and she could win that and walk.

This dud is WAY out of his element. I do not think that the DT prepared him for the bulldog JA can be.

For that guy to say he could not replicate the test is udder nonsense. Why don't they just strike that answer or go ahead and let the State impeach him? Maybe that is what the judge is waiting for, the State to ask to strike that answer?

I really don't think they're going to call a mistrial because JA put pieces of evidence up on the witness stand.

judge takes a 10 minute recess and tells both sides to review case law - I think he just needed a breather from the circus

Does anyone think Simms caused this problem, asking questions that almost opened the door for the State, because she is not used to the nuances of a criminal trial?

Well, it is either ineptness...or something more sinister. :maddening:

The talking heads on Wesh just said that the defense may have opened the door to switching the burden of proof from the state to the defense and it could be very close to a mistrial.

:gasp:

Please someone fill me in on this. I miss one half hour and it could be the most important half hour of the trial.

I just heard Sunny Hostin on HLN asking why didn't the defense just embrace the body in the trunk and say George put her there.

I've said that and wondered why they didn't do so all this time, too. Neither side can prove who put Caylee in the trunk and even though it's pretty absolutely clear that Casey put Caylee's body there, her defense could still have been that it was George who did it. The defense wouldn't have to ineptly hammer away with one nervous, ill prepared expert after another.

At least, that's the way I feel after having to take excedrin every day now.

Even though I'm of the opinion that Caylee died as a result of an accident, I also believe that the "accident" was a form of negligence and/or abuse caused by Casey's complete lack of putting Caylee's safety and needs first.

I think about little Caylee Marie Anthony every time I watch this trial or read about it. Her death is heartbreaking. She deserved a chance to grow up and live her life. God bless her soul.

IMO, for some reason JB was bound and determined to have RK involved in this in some way. I agree, just admit she was in the trunk and maybe KC didn't know right away or something. But, in his arrogance that he was going to get her a complete acquittal, he made his story too convoluted and complicated. That my opinion, and I'm sticking too it. :seeya:

Do we know where HHJP went?

Did he go to his chambers, like Judge Judy does to make a phone call....perhaps to a Florida Supreme Court Judge friend of his to get their take on this? :)

This DT does not want to finish this trial. They know they are going to lose. This is insane. This is not ineffective counsel, this is trying for a mistrial. So sad this is what our justice system comes down to.

yes, I think Simms made a boo boo and wesh talking heads saying that hhjp trying to save the trial from a mistrial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46