FL FL - Bryan Hayes, 13, & Mark Degner, 12, Jacksonville, 10 Feb 2005

Either the parents are backward and don't know how to use the media or something weird is going on.

I've been reading items all over the net about the boys, I must say that a lot of people are fooled and misled about how the families are handling this. The family of Mark Degner was out everyday, all night handing out flyers, posting flyers and just getting the word out when this situation first came up, it was all over Jax news for several weeks at first. But now as time as passed by, the family is tired, getting no new leads and just plain exhausted, (they are still out when a new lead comes up and most weekends looking for clues) the media has not been interested because there have been no new leads, I know for a fact that the family tries to get these boys faces on the news (local, state, national, etc) everyday but to no avail! The Daytona news did a story because there was leads coming in from Daytona, the story could have been better. I have personally been out looking for anything on these two boys, I have passed out flyers and talked to hundreds of people from Callahan to Daytona and everywhere in between. We are still looking and hoping , we pray that they are alive and will be found shortly! So I ask before any assumptions are made, that you understand that we are trying our best out here and please pray with us that this ordeal will be over soon!

ariel7 said:
AMEN!

I wish people took runaways more seriously. :(

with much love,

Ariel

I do not understand why any child of such tender years would not automatically be considered endangered. and then you add the medicals problems these poor boys had and it is unconscionable.

Dogfacesoldier00 said:
I've been reading items all over the net about the boys, I must say that a lot of people are fooled and misled about how the families are handling this. The family of Mark Degner was out everyday, all night handing out flyers, posting flyers and just getting the word out when this situation first came up, it was all over Jax news for several weeks at first. But now as time as passed by, the family is tired, getting no new leads and just plain exhausted, (they are still out when a new lead comes up and most weekends looking for clues) the media has not been interested because there have been no new leads, I know for a fact that the family tries to get these boys faces on the news (local, state, national, etc) everyday but to no avail! The Daytona news did a story because there was leads coming in from Daytona, the story could have been better. I have personally been out looking for anything on these two boys, I have passed out flyers and talked to hundreds of people from Callahan to Daytona and everywhere in between. We are still looking and hoping , we pray that they are alive and will be found shortly! So I ask before any assumptions are made, that you understand that we are trying our best out here and please pray with us that this ordeal will be over soon!

I'm praying with you. I posted info on another forum, too. I hope these boys are found safe and brought home soon.

It just isn't right that the media is so willing to pick up some stories and totally ignore others. Two pre-teen boys who were in need of meds and traveling together, even if they were runaways, should've been big news. National news. Instead, the media ignored it.

By Jeff Libby | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 10, 2005

HOLLY HILL -- On a Saturday afternoon in April, storeowners across from a Riverside Drive park saw two boys sitting on the grass with bedrolls and fishing poles, chowing down on junk food.

Two weeks later, the same two boys were thought to have been spotted outside a nearby grocery store on LPGA Boulevard, police say.

But despite the apparent sightings, for four months now, Bryan Hayes, 13, of Port Orange and Mark Degner, 12, of Jacksonville have remained missing.

Holly Hill police renewed a call for help locating the youths on Thursday at the request of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office. The boys are considered endangered runaways, police said.

Jacksonville police have been searching for the boys since Feb. 10 when they walked off a Jacksonville middle school campus after an altercation with a teacher. The boys had no money and no extra clothes.

"We're pretty well just crying out," said Detective Hal Lloyd of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office. "If they're out and about, if they're stealing lunch meat from a store, I just want their faces out there so somebody might recognize them. I don't want interest in them to die."

Jacksonville police are offering an $8,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of the boys.

Investigators say they are "very confident" that at least the first Holly Hill sighting was Mark and Bryan.

Of the more than 800,000 children younger than 18 reported missing each year, 94 percent are located and returned home, said Gary Gardiner, a senior case manager for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

"We never give up of, course," Gardiner said. "Somebody's going to see them out in that community."

The national center has put up posters of the two boys in Wal-Marts throughout the Southeast and has targeted hotels, motels, gas stations and convenience stores in Daytona Beach, Holly Hill, Jacksonville and Panama City, Gardiner said.

Both boys are considered "developmentally delayed" by the Jacksonville school system, police said. Bryan also takes medication for a kidney ailment and high blood pressure, said his grandmother, Alene Hayes of Port Orange.

"We're very concerned," Hayes said by phone Thursday. "We haven't heard a thing. But we're still hopeful."

Bryan had been living at a group home in Jacksonville since October, Hayes said, and was finally getting treatment she had sought for him for years.

"He was as happy and doing as well as I had ever seen," Hayes said.

Bryan also called home regularly, Hayes said. When she visited him he seemed to be thrilled with his new friends at the group home.

But on Feb. 10, after Mark argued with a teacher, Bryan ran to him, and the two boys left the campus, Hayes said.

After a newspaper ad featured the two boys in April, law-enforcement officials received a few calls of sightings in the Holly Hill area. Holly Hill police searched the parks and placed posters in businesses. But no tips have been called in since mid-April, Lloyd said.

"No one has seen them," said Gina Baker, an investigator for Holly Hill police. "But I don't know if it's really known that these children are missing. That's why we're asking for the media's help."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-locvmissing10061005jun10,0,4339349.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-volusia

My heart breaks every single day for these darlings. Something is terribly wrong here! I'm so worried. The media has abandoned this story, yet I want them back! Please, get the word out, and find these children. Prayers, and then some for the family and workers.

After an argument with a teacher on a Thursday afternoon in February, 12-year-old Mark Degner burst out of his classroom and ran down a hallway, banging a pencil sharpener against the lockers.

Outside, he found Bryan Hayes, 13, another developmentally disabled student who, like him, takes medication for emotional and behavioral issues.

The two friends were new to Paxon Middle School in Jacksonville. Mark had moved from Indiana, Bryan from Port Orange. After a stop in a dugout on the campus, they walked across a baseball field and slipped through a fence.

No one from their families has seen them since.

The two boys left school about 1:15 p.m. on Feb. 10 without book bags, cell phones or money, said Linda Alligood, Mark's mother, in Jacksonville. Neither is street-smart, and both have the emotional development of children three to five years younger.

Not long before the disappearance, Mark let a man at a park borrow his bike, she said, and he was surprised when the man never brought it back. Mark would likely be the first person to follow a stranger to help find a lost pet, Alligood said.

"I don't want to think of them being harmed. I want to think they're still safe," Alligood said. "It's sad to say, but I think someone is holding them."

Jacksonville police insist they have found no evidence of foul play.

Mark and Bryan disappeared a day after school officials caught them trying to slip away from the buses at the end of the school day. But even if they had planned to run away, they left with nothing.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-...,4645998.story?page=3&coll=orl-home-headlines

I'm devastated for these boys families. I would LOVE to believe that they are fine, and taken care of. BUT, reality screams this is WAY WRONG! I know, not that high of a reward fund, but these little boys are GONE!!!
I can't even imagine the pain these parents are going through.
THis evil is in our own backyards. The police wonder if it isn't a psycho/sexual perv abduction????
THe facts say the boys need meds.????
I'm wondering if they are still ALIVE!!
To me, this should be all over the news.
A little too late, but FIND THESE BOYS!!!
I'm losing sleep.
THIS SHOULD BE PRIORITY#1!!!!

Hugs & Prayers.......
PLEASE FIND THESE BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Awhile back there were two bodies found in the California desert which could've been these children's. Does anyone know if they were ever identified?

CaliKid said:
Awhile back there were two bodies found in the California desert which could've been these children's. Does anyone know if they were ever identified?

Can you remember where out west? Even the state? Which desert? Approx date? Any thing more?

Jmann said:
This needs to be removed from this forum! These people are violent nuts prefering to live on the fringe, in trade for thier daughter.

I am sorry, I just noticed your post. Welcome to WS.
Can you give us more info? I take it you know the family, or have heard something about them? What do you mean they live on the fringe, in trade for their daughter? They are violent? Can you give us more of the history?

Why would these kids be going south along I-95? Granted these boys are challanged in ways, but the one of the boy's mother lived north of Jacksonville (I think Indiana or another state?). Wouldn't it make more sense if they were running away to head north along I-95 or even west along I-10, or even north along Highway 17 which is less busy and mostly consists of a two lane road through a majority of it? Why Daytona?

I do remember when this story first broke too, it was all over the news on t.v. and the newspapers here. It is sad that people lose interest over time, and the media choose to by pass them for more exciting stories.

In the slim chance these boys are still out there wandering around, I hope they will be found. Unfortunately, the more time that passes the less likely it will be a good outcome.

Someone knows something. No family contact, no money, food, etc. This is NOT right. I pray LE picks up something. I'm seriously thinking some pedophile is involved. There were just sooo many near the school, and those numbers were just the ones who were registered.

The families recorded a segment on the boys October 21st. It was to air on October 28th. I hope some of you all got to catch it.

The worry never ends. Thinking of this duo, and dismayed, there is no, NO information for their families. Please, these detectives need to have a fire lit under them. These boys need to be found. As of now, there is NOTHING. NOTHING on this case. I'll never forget, or stop praying. Please. Keep the media on their *advertiser censored**e*!
This should never, ever happen in our world.

I think about these boys every day and I still pray for them and thier families. I don't think that they could have masterminded thier own disappearance for this long. They might have initially made some bad decisions, but they are not intentionally still missing after all of this time. NO WAY! Someone knows something. No family contact, no money, food, etc. It's NOT right. They disappeared from school right? Have all of the school employees been checked out (ie. janitors, contractors, coaches, etc.)?

Where in the world are they??? This must be devistating for the families!! Its hard to imagine since there were two of them that noone has seen anything. Some sicko probably took advantage of these boy's vulnerbility!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back