WI - Six people shot to death by Forest County deputy, Crandon, Oct 7, 2007

OMG! I hadn't read that. How sad.....

On the News this morning I heard that the 14 yr old girl who he killed was related to him. News painted all of them as very close friends.

And how can anyone truly assess someone that young for emotional fitness?

And how can anyone truly assess someone that young for emotional fitness?

I'm not sure how other agencies do things, but when my son applied for the CHP, part of the exam process was an written test where they asked him some deep questions, such as "Do you hate your sibling?", "Do you love to garden", "Do you hate roses?".

They also wanted to know everything about his life, from fighting with siblings to shoplifting, problems in school, to drug use... very in depth.

The next process is the oral interview where they ask you about your answers on the written portions of the test.

Third is the "voice stress" test aka lie detector test

Fourth they ask your 5 close non-related references questions about you and your attitudes, views, feelings, etc.

They warn at the beginning of all the testing... out of 50 applicants only about 5 will go on to the academy.

I'm not sure how other agencies do things, but when my son applied for the CHP, part of the exam process was an written test where they asked him some deep questions, such as "Do you hate your sibling?", "Do you love to garden", "Do you hate roses?".

They also wanted to know everything about his life, from fighting with siblings to shoplifting, problems in school, to drug use... very in depth.

The next process is the oral interview where they ask you about your answers on the written portions of the test.

Third is the "voice stress" test aka lie detector test

Fourth they ask your 5 close non-related references questions about you and your attitudes, views, feelings, etc.

They warn at the beginning of all the testing... out of 50 applicants only about 5 will go on to the academy.

Thanks MagicRose,
I wondered what agencies in other states did, before hiring LE.
Apparently Wis is really lax in the hiring of LE. Since even the Govenor never knew the process maybe that will get changed now.

Yes, he must have cared deeply for this girl. I don't think he had any intentions of going there....not at 8:30 pm anyway. He probably drove by there later and recognized all the cars in the driveway and he may could have seen them through the windows from the outside. IMO he probably parked somewhere close by and began obsessing about what he thought was going on in that house and how quickly she had gone on with her life. When he couldn't control himself anymore I think that is when he approached the door pleading with her to be his girlfriend again but when the others and maybe she started calling him names like "worthless pig" he went ballistic. I think they probably said many other things to him than just the "pig" statement.

I think this had a lot to do with immaturity. One of the Cranden citizens yesterday said this was a crime of passion. I wish he had just left and calmed down and remembered that no crisis last forever and in time it would have been better.

The father of his friend said that TP was very remorseful for what he had done and that is why imo he made the confrontation happen with the Swat Team. He knew one pull of the sniper's trigger and it would be all over for him and he wouldn't have to think about what he had done to so many innocent people including his own parents.

imoo

Imagine what this girl friends life would have been like if she had married him.

I guess I am searching for answers. But Peterson, almost looks like an over achiever. If he met the college credits and taken swat training as reported, and held two law enforcement jobs, he accomplished alot by the age of 20. I haven't heard anyone saying anything bad about this guy. Then you have his peer group calling him a worthless pig. Why would his good friends and family members turn on him like that? In the radio program it was stated that this was not a party like gathering. It was more like friends supporting a friend. What is that about?

I guess I am searching for answers. But Peterson, almost looks like an over achiever. If he met the college credits and taken swat training as reported, and held two law enforcement jobs, he accomplished alot by the age of 20. I haven't heard anyone saying anything bad about this guy. Then you have his peer group calling him a worthless pig. Why would his good friends and family members turn on him like that? In the radio program it was stated that this was not a party like gathering. It was more like friends supporting a friend. What is that about?

I am with you on this......I totally fail to see how he could of gotten that many college credits & could not of had a 2 yr associate degree by the time he was 19 yrs old to be hired as a deputy. Something just isn't right???
If TP was smart enough to become a deputy & complied with with the college credits / wouldn't you of thought somewhere along the lines of sticks & stones may break my bones......but words will never harm me?

I'm sure we'll be hearing more as the days go by, especially with the National media involved. We'll see Wis is way behind on the scope of achievers being hired by LE. Its a disgrace!!!

Can you imagine if everytime someone got called a name such as "worthless pig" they went out & murdered 6 people?

I am with you on this......I totally fail to see how he could of gotten that many college credits & could not of had a 2 yr associate degree by the time he was 19 yrs old to be hired as a deputy. Something just isn't right???
If TP was smart enough to become a deputy & complied with with the college credits / wouldn't you of thought somewhere along the lines of sticks & stones may break my bones......but words will never harm me?

I'm sure we'll be hearing more as the days go by, especially with the National media involved. We'll see Wis is way behind on the scope of achievers being hired by LE. Its a disgrace!!!

Can you imagine if every time someone got called a name such as "worthless pig" they went out & murdered 6 people?

I think this shows no matter what you can't take out the human being just because someone is a cop.

I don't feel he would have taken it to heart if some criminal had called him filthy names but due to his heart being on his sleeve about his personal relationship when his own friends began to join in and heckle him it stung like a scorpion's sting.

Imo it is who is trying to break you with sticks and stones. I think we all know words do hurt deeply especially if they come from someone we care about and are close to.

I am not sure how he got certified but I do believe the PC when he said he passed all that was required of him in the State of WI.

I am not even sure they do psyche testing on PD that is in an adjoining larger town from my town. If they do they are failing miserably because so many cops on the force have been caught doing illegal and corrupt things. Some in the city are more worried about some of these cops than the perps out there.

imoo

I took this out of the article:
This kind of explains what I meant about small towns & my phrase its not what you know but who you know!

Former schoolmates described Peterson as someone who had, in high school, hoped to be popular, but never quite made it.
"He didn't have a lot of friends because he was arrogant," Michael Zold, 20, said. "He was always very stuck up, like he always had an attitude, 'I have money, I'm better than everybody else.' "
Zold added, "After he became an officer, it was a power trip to him."
Steven Bocek, whose nephew, Bradley Schultz, was one of the victims, said Peterson had gotten his police job so young, in part, because he was known in Crandon.
"The bottom line is he should have never been a police officer," Bocek said. "They have a bunch of young people there who shouldn't be there. It's mostly family members."

Wisconsin's requirements for hiring a LE officer are actually a lot better than the ones where I live in S. Arkansas! You do have to be 21 years old and have no felony convictions, but you have one year to attend the police academy after you are hired to be a LE officer!!!! Basically, if you are hired, they give you your gun, ticket book, and car and send you on your merry way!!!! No pysch evaluation is required either!!!

About eight years ago in a small town near where I live a police officer shot an unarmed man three times in the back because he wouldn't stop walking after the police officer told him to stop. There were plenty of witnesses to the shooting and one witness even said the police officer threw a gun near the victim! The gun turned out to be a gun that was used in a previous murder in the same town that LE was supposed to have destroyed! This gun was stolen from a pawn shop after it was supposed to be destroyed. Two years later, this same police officer killed another unarmed man involving similar circumstances. And he is still a police officer!!!!! I know the parents of the first victim sued the city, and the city settled out of court. This city has less than 5,000 citizens. I should add that this police officer had
NOT attended the police academy before the first shooting.

Sorry to get so far off topic!!!

I feel so sorry for the victims, the victim's families, and the family of the shooter in this incident. I hope that Wisconsin, Arkansas, and other states that have such lax requirements for hiring LE officers look at this case and change the requirements!!!!

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_7126108
Snip from above article--

He said the 20-year-old Peterson came to his door about five hours after the rampage early Sunday and calmly told him what happened.
"He wasn't running around crazy or anything. He was very, very sorry for what he did," Kegley told the newspaper, adding he gave Peterson coffee and food and later made repeated calls to911. Kegley also said his family coaxed Peterson into giving up his assault rifle, but he kept a pistol in the back of his shirt.

Did his parents/family know about the shootings?
Did they know that he had a gun in the back of his shirt?

It was stated in one of the articles that he left the friends home to go see his Mom & Grandma.

I guess I just don't understand if LE knew he was at the friends home why they never arrested him. Nobody was held hostage, they cooked him food to eat. The parents went to see where LE was at. So some of it don't make sense to me.

The whole thing makes no sense. I feel so very, very sorry for everyone involved including his parents. The kid lost it. He would have been charged with six counts of First Degree Murder and probably have been given the DP. His suicide saved his family from going through tremendous grief in the end, but I am sure this is of no consolation to them.

You know what scares me is that I had a boyfriend one time who was exactly like this. When I saw this guys picture I was like whoa! They could be brothers they look soooo much alike. My x boyfriend got kicked out of the army and put in jail for assault and got out and ran his car into a pregnant girl and jammed her up against a tree killing her unborn baby. He was sick. My best friend called me years ago to tell me she was driving home from work one night and and he came up behind her and she had to pull over because he was basically forcing her to when he got out of his car he went to her window and asked where I was. She told him that she don't talk to me anymore. Anyway I had to move and to this day I am unlisted in the phone book and I always use a fake name on websites etc..people like this scare me & this was years ago.. p.s when he found out I got married he would sit outside my husbands work and stalk him..he even asked my husbands co-workers questions about my husband..

I took this out of the article:
This kind of explains what I meant about small towns & my phrase its not what you know but who you know!

Former schoolmates described Peterson as someone who had, in high school, hoped to be popular, but never quite made it.
"He didn't have a lot of friends because he was arrogant," Michael Zold, 20, said. "He was always very stuck up, like he always had an attitude, 'I have money, I'm better than everybody else.' "
Zold added, "After he became an officer, it was a power trip to him."
Steven Bocek, whose nephew, Bradley Schultz, was one of the victims, said Peterson had gotten his police job so young, in part, because he was known in Crandon.
"The bottom line is he should have never been a police officer," Bocek said. "They have a bunch of young people there who shouldn't be there. It's mostly family members."

Yes, those are exactly the kind of men who commit these types of crimes. You are smart to maintain your anonimity. I hope he has given up on you and has sought treatment, but my guess would be he has turned his attention to someone else which is horrible.

Here's what it takes to be a cop in Wisconsin:
The state of Wisconsin doesn't make a psychological evaluation mandatory. The state says applicants should not possess mental or emotional troubles that would adversely affect their duties as an officer. Applicants must also be at least 18 years of age, have a two-year associate degree or 60 college-level credits, and have no felony convictions and no misdemeanor convictions involving domestic violence. What is Wisconsin thinking?

http://www.wisn.com/news/14296792/detail.html

According to this article, Peterson was hired as full-time deputy sheriff on Sept. 11, 2006, at the age of 19, according to personnel records released by the Forest County clerk.

Nineteen and you can be a full-time deputy? Again, what is Wisconsin thinking?

We send them to war younger than that!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back