IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a vehicle had been used to transport the girls there could be an article of clothing, an earring or a shoe, blood evidence or hair. If it was used to transport a dead body it would stink by now, even if just a small amount of body fluid was left. ( Remember Casey Anthony's trunk?)

I think that stopping vehicles to check trunks could also be a good excuse to observe the demeanor of the people in the vehicle. Someone who is overly anxious could be hiding guilty knowledge. Perps are known for finding ways to be close to the investigation, so it's a good idea to know who is hanging around, watching LE.

I thought the trunk reeked because Kaylee actually decomposed in the trunk for days not was killed then removed quickly. I also thought only dogs could smell decomp that happens within minutes of death because of their keen sense of smell.

Some people were asking what local's opinions/thoughts are. I am not directly in Evansdale, but about 30 mins south - yet this literally feels like it is in my backyard.<snipped for space>

As heart wrenching as it was to read what you've heard, thank you for sharing it.

Ok, this might be really off-the-wall, but I'll say it anyway.

Is it possible that the bikes seen at 12:27 weren't those belonging to the girls? If they were in the middle of the path, and nobody admits to moving them, could they have been placed there by someone waiting for someone vulnerable to stop and check them out or move them?

I keep thinking of someone (maybe at least one a woman or teen so they aren't so intimidating) could have called to them when they stopped with some kind of a ruse - puppies, kittens, needing help, whatever. Once the girls got over there, they could grab them, throw them and their own bikes in the back (of a van, maybe?) and left. It could have been any time between 12:27 when two bikes were seen and the time when the girls' bikes were found. That could also account for the sighting later in the day and the bikes being there earlier.

Or, maybe I've watch too many mystery movies...

maybe it's not so much they are searching cars- but 'searching' reactions?

Maybe they are looking for keys. Or part of a cell phone case, or something really random and unimportant most people think nothing of or doesnt notice when pieces fall of whatever object ?

Like a torn up headliner in a car drops certain fillers. Or a beaded key ring looses beads. Or a certain kind of park tree leaf or nut on a floorboard or a certain pets hair on a car seat? Did the girls have pets?

I've looked & looked but i can't seem to find it. How do we know the girls were seen on video??

My friend lives next to the lake. She drives a black suv and was not stopped. She was surprised because she was in a line being stopped but they waved her through.

Did your friend say if any other cars were not searched and waved through? If so what type of vehicles were being searched? Seems police have a lead they are working on to let some people through?? JMO

Have a question for locals about Meyers Lake/Evansdale Nature Trail. How well-known is it in Waterloo and other nearby towns? Do people from these nearby towns go there for relaxation, etc., or is it more of a place that is used just by residents of Evansdale?

oh gosh! we live in waterloo and always loved taking our kids to Meyers Lake. very nice place to fish, especially with kids! there is a big army tank there in the park my kids LOVED climbing all over. the Nature Trail is a terrific place to enjoy the outside. you can pretty much ride your bike fromWaterloo to evansdale on the trail. scenic...lots of deer. i've even seen fox and snapping turtles on the trails in waterloo. When yo drive by Edale on the hiway, you can see Meyers Lake as you pass.

makes me wonder about the biker who saw their bikes on the trail. now that I think about it 12:27 sort of seems like an exact time. I think if I was reporting something I saw on a ride it would be something like "around 12:30"....anybody remember his name?

Agree on the time and that had me scratching my head at first. If I remember right he was basing the time on the cell phone call he made. I'm trying to find a link.

Yes, the biker who had to swerve to miss the bikes on the trail

Please share what are you thinking? It was unusual for him to have such a precise time? It was unusual for him to be at the park in the daytime work hours with his daughter? It was odd for him to have called LE about two bikes in the park?

My question: Why did he stop and call his daughter after finding the bikes?

Someone posting as "Melissa" on another crime forum states that her father was the man that swerved to miss the bikes and he stopped to call her.

makes me wonder about the biker who saw their bikes on the trail. now that I think about it 12:27 sort of seems like an exact time. I think if I was reporting something I saw on a ride it would be something like "around 12:30"....anybody remember his name?

Some bikers time their rides. For exercise methods. JMO

I thought the trunk reeked because Kaylee actually decomposed in the trunk for days not was killed then removed quickly. I also thought only dogs could smell decomp that happens within minutes of death because of their keen sense of smell.

It thought it was at least 2 or 3 hours before a dog could smell the chemical breakdown that they are trained to smell. But I have been really off lately so dont quote me.

I went shopping for RV's on craigslist in Evansdale. Then I checked out the personals..Wow. I feel all sleezy now.

So, now there is reportedly video survelliance tapes of the girls near Elizabeth's house at 12:15 and 12 minutes later at 12:27 , a biker says their bikes are abandoned on the trail, all the way across town on the lake trail. That is such a short time frame , no matter what happened!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...hwId89B_-g&dirflg=b&mra=ltm&t=m&z=15&lci=bike

According to Google Maps, it is 1.6 miles - or about eight minutes - to bike from Lederman's Big and Tall Store to where the girls' bikes were found. That's a very tight time frame for something to happen where their bikes were found, though. To me, that would indicate that they may have set their bikes on the path themselves and then run into trouble shortly afterward.

Oh my goodness! Actually, the bikes were found at 12:20. The 12:27 time comes from the time the biker either made or received a phone call which is how he narrowed down what time he saw the bikes on the path.

Something is NOT right here! How did they go missing and their bikes be discovered within 5 MINUTES???

As the group searched, a bicyclist stopped the officers to say he saw the two kids bikes on the trail at about 12:20 p.m., but no sign of the children.

Ted Gamerdinger of Waterloo said he rides the trail often.

“I saw the bikes laying on the path and had to swerve to miss them,” Gamerdinger said. He then went to the Evansdale Police Department to report the sighting.

http://globegazette.com/news/iowa/r...cle_7dbadcc0-cfd1-11e1-b097-001a4bcf887a.html

Maybe they are looking for keys. Or part of a cell phone case, or something really random and unimportant most people think nothing of or doesnt notice when pieces fall of whatever object ?

Like a torn up headliner in a car drops certain fillers. Or a beaded key ring looses beads. Or a certain kind of park tree leaf or nut on a floorboard or a certain pets hair on a car seat? Did the girls have pets?

Elizabeth has a cat. An article I posted a few days ago mentioned that her cat has been waiting on her bed since she disappeared. Her mom said the cat sleeps with Elizabeth every night.

I don't know of any other pets.

I've looked & looked but i can't seem to find it. How do we know the girls were seen on video??

LE said in the presser today they had them on video at about 12:15, the same time Grandma last saw them. I believe he said it was B&W video and was from the back as they were going away from the camera so they had no clothing description

I've been here too long at WS. I'm suspicious of any witness, parent,stranger, etc. I sure do understand where LE's coming from. I think they know so much more than we will be able to accept at first when it all comes out! Sadly

I've been here too long at WS. I'm suspicious of any witness, parent,stranger, etc. I sure do understand where LE's coming from. I think they know so much more than we will be able to accept at first when it all comes out! Sadly

That's why I posted my possible explanation for the early sighting of the bikes. It just seemed too convenient, and the timing was too tight. Rather than assume that the witness was lying and/or guilty of something, I decided to try to find a way to make it make sense.

ETA: The one thing that confused me with the dogs was that they went from the bikes (which were leaning against the fence) directly to the water/wooded area, whichever was the correct version. If the bikes had been laying in the path and moved by someone else later, the girls' trail wouldn't have started at the bikes, it would have started on the path.

Something is NOT right here! How did they go missing and their bikes be discovered within 5 MINUTES???

I think the bikes were found later... around 4:00. The guy that saw the bikes at 12:27 reported them later when he found out 2 girls on bikes were missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine