MISTRIAL FL - Six Bodies found in Deltona mass murder, Aug 2004 *guilty* *mistrial 2023*

DELTONA -- Five days before she was beaten to death with a baseball bat, Erin Belanger sat on the floor of her bedroom talking to a 911 operator, hiding from a group of strangers shouting her name from the living room.

"I have people here and they won't leave," Belanger, 22, tells the dispatcher. "They're just yelling, 'Where is she? Where is she?' "
*snip*

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...llings,0,6651780.story?coll=sfla-news-florida

This story just gets more and more unbelievable. First this guy organizes a gang to kill a woman and her friends over an X-box and now he's apparently got connections on the outside who are willing to kill for him.

Victorino claims he has an alibi and can prove he was at a local bar that night and the three youths who confessed tried to convince him to help them with the killings. Claims he threw them out because he didn't want to violate his parole and he wanted to propose to his underage girlfriend.

That story wasn't worth posting, IMO but if you wish to read it, go to www.orlandosentinel.com and enter Victorino in the search box. You'll get a list of the most recent stories.

Witness describes plot to massacre 6
By Alicia A. Caldwell | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted December 14, 2004

DELAND -- Troy Victorino wanted to shoot six people but couldn't find enough bullets, according to a man who claims he was with him when the Deltona killings were being plotted.

So Victorino, accused of leading three teenagers in one of the state's worst mass killings, collected about 15 baseball bats from neighborhood kids, the witness told police. Victorino then told his accomplices that they could storm the house and "beat them to death," after seeing a similar attack in a movie, records show.

The details of how the plot came together come from the statement by 18-year-old Brandon Graham, who told deputies two days after the crimes Aug. 6 that he initially agreed to help Victorino carry out the six killings because he was afraid for his own life.

Graham told deputies about Victorino's plan Aug. 8, the day Victorino, 28, Michael Salas, 19, and Jerone Hunter and Robert Cannon, both 18, were arrested on charges of first-degree murder. Graham could not be reached for comment Monday.

Sheriff's officials had asked that Graham's name not be published, saying they feared for his safety. But Graham's statement is a public record available to the suspects through their lawyers. He is also listed in court records as a prosecution witness in the case.

Sheriff's spokesman Gary Davidson would not discuss whether any efforts had been made or requested to protect Graham.

More at link: (free registration maybe required): http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...4478413.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-volusia

Prosecutors fear for witness' safety in massacre case
By Alicia A. Caldwell and Errin Haines | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted December 15, 2004

DAYTONA BEACH -- State prosecutors are asking a judge to take testimony of a key witness in the Deltona mass killings before the trial because they are worried he "may be murdered, harmed or intimidated" before he can testify.

Assistant State Attorney Raúl Zambrano filed a motion Tuesday afternoon asking that Brandon Graham give a sworn statement in front of a judge to make sure his testimony can be used in the trial -- scheduled to begin Sept. 26 -- even if he is not around.

The 18-year-old has told Volusia County sheriff's investigators that he was with accused ringleader Troy Victorino and three other men when they planned the Aug. 6 attack.

Victorino, 28, Michael Salas, 19, and 18-year-olds Jerone Hunter and Robert Anthony Cannon have been charged with six counts of first-degree murder and related charges in the beating deaths of six people inside a home on Telford Lane.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Linda Pruitt, a spokeswoman for the State Attorney's Office, would not comment on the motion. Local defense attorneys who are not connected to the case said Zambrano's motion suggested the state's case could be significantly affected by Graham's absence.

Judge William A. Parsons is expected to hear the motion Monday. If it is granted, Graham could soon testify in a court-like setting, before Parsons but without a jury. Prosecutors and defense attorneys would have a chance to question Graham, whose testimony would be recorded and could later be presented to jurors.

More at link: (free registration maybe required):
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...2723888.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-volusia

Witness to speak early for safety
Prosecutors say the man, who is key to the Deltona murder case, is in danger.

By Alicia A. Caldwell | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted December 21, 2004

DAYTONA BEACH -- A key witness in the Deltona massacre case has been ordered to testify in early January, nearly nine months ahead of the scheduled trial date.

Judge William A. Parsons granted a request Monday by state prosecutors to get Brandon Graham's sworn testimony on the record as soon as possible in case he is "murdered, harmed or intimidated" before a trial for the four men accused in the August beating deaths of six people and a small dog inside a Deltona home begins.

Parsons ordered that although Graham's testimony would be taken Jan. 7, it would only be used during the trial if he were unable to testify in person.

According to police records, Graham has told authorities that he was with Troy Victorino, 28, Michael Salas, 19, and 18-year-olds Jerone Hunter and Robert Anthony Cannon when the men plotted the killings. Graham, 18, told police about the plot on Aug. 8, two days after the slayings and the same day the four men were arrested on charges of first-degree murder.

Assistant State Attorney Raúl Zambrano said that Graham's life is in danger because of his knowledge of the case. That threat was amplified, the prosecutor has said, after he was identified in the Orlando Sentinel and details of his statement were published and broadcast by various media. Sheriff's officials had asked that Graham's name not be published, saying they feared for his safety. But Graham's statement is a public record available to the suspects through their lawyers. Graham is also listed in court records as a prosecution witness in the case.

Lawyers for all four defendants argued Monday that their clients have a constitutional right to confront their accuser during the trial and in front of a jury.

Jeff Dowdy, one of Victorino's lawyers, said that the protection of Victorino's rights to a fair trial should overshadow all other concerns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More at link (free registration may be required):
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...6791712.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-volusia

Witness In Deltona Mass Slayings To Testify Ahead Of Trial
POSTED: 11:50 am EST December 20, 2004
UPDATED: 3:25 pm EST December 20, 2004

DELTONA, Fla. -- A key witness in the brutal slayings of six people over a lost video game system will testify more than nine months ahead of the scheduled trial, a judge ordered Monday.

<snipped>

The defendants' attorneys objected to early testimony by the witness, citing their clients' constitutional rights to confront the witness in front of a jury while the case is being tried.

But Judge William A. Parsons agreed with prosecutors there is enough of a concern about the safety and future whereabouts of the witness to record his testimony as soon as possible.

The defense argued that they are not prepared for this and asked that the man be placed in the witness protection program. But, the prosecution says, that possibility does not exist on a state level.

"At this moment there is no Witness Protection Program. There is a witness relocation program which, in essence, FDLE buying this witness a one way ticket out of town," explains Zambrano.

On Tuesday, a different judge will hear arguments over a gag order, requested by Hunter's defense attorney.

More at link:
http://www.wftv.com/news/4010549/detail.html

fl_sun said:
This case is set for trial beginning April 10, 2006.

http://www.topix.net/city/deltona-fl
Thank-you so much for this.
I went to the bands guestbook and noticed that one of our posters directed Jay to this site.(Thank-you :) );

from this site
[font=Arial,Helvetica]
Name :[/size said:
[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]Jay Ziegler[/font]] [font=Arial,Helvetica]Message :[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]Thank you very much for posting Linda...I viewed the Websleuths site and I'm very happy that people all around the nation are offering their condolences to this horrible tragedy.

Karma Diver will live on in our hearts forever...and it means everything more than ever now.
[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]08 August 2004 20:42:21
[/font]
[size=2 said:
[size=2 said:
Linda, St. Louis]Found :Search engine
[size=2 said:
[font=Arial,Helvetica]Message :[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]Hi guys ... I hope you don't mind me posting this here, as we don't know each other or live in the same state, even ... but I am so sorry about your friend (Jonathan Gleason, singer). I can't imagine what you are going through to cope with this horrible and senseless crime!! Our guitarist knows one of ths guy's in your band's father here in St. Louis. I had been reading about this story and was shocked when I was told that one of the victims in such a disgusting heinous act was in your band!

I feel sick to my stomach that such violence has taken the lives of your friend and five others and a dog!! We are very sad and outraged about what has happened and hope that you can find some sort of peace amongst this terrible tragedy.
You and your friends and family as well as those of the victims will all be in our thoughts and prayers. We are discussing this crime on a website at www.websleuths.com. If you would like to add anything about your friend or come for support, please stop by.

Love, peace and prayers from around the nation. :(
[/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica]08 August 2004 18:44:08
[/font]

April 6, 2006

DAYTONA BEACH -- Michael Salas told a corrections officer he didn't understand how he was caught and arrested in the massacre of six people in a Deltona home.

Salas told the officer that despite the bloodshed inside the Telford Lane house, he didn't get any on him and was careful to tie back his then-bushy hair, the Volusia County Branch Jail officer testified during a pretrial hearing Wednesday.

Eunice Williams said Salas was smirking and "seemed happy to be there" while she fingerprinted, photographed and booked him into the jail Aug. 8, 2004.

"I said, 'You understand you took a human life?' and he said, 'Yes,' " Williams testified. "And I said, 'You don't have any remorse?' and he said, 'No.' "

<SNIPPED>

Salas' court-appointed attorney argued to a judge Wednesday that those utterances, jail documents and the statement Salas gave to investigators after his arrest should not be admissible at trial. Jeffrey Dees' motion asserts that Salas' arrest wasn't legal because investigators didn't have probable cause to pull over the vehicle he and Robert Anthony Cannon were riding in when they were caught.

Volusia Circuit Judge William A. Parsons said he will review case law and testimony before making a decision.

The trial is set to begin Monday with jury selection. Salas, 20, Troy Victorino, 29, and Jerone Hunter, 19, face the death penalty if convicted of 14 felony charges each. The three are accused of beating to death six people and a dog early on Aug. 6, 2004.

Cannon, 20, pleaded guilty to the charges and will receive life in prison in exchange for his testimony.

In court Wednesday, the state laid out the events that led investigators to Salas and Cannon as suspects in the killings. Soon after the bodies were discovered, investigators began focusing on Victorino as a suspect. The next day they arrested him and Hunter.

<SNIPPED>

Investigators testified that they used databases and records searches to narrow in on Salas and Cannon and the vehicle Salas drove. Both Hunter and Victorino confirmed the matches through photos.

About 10:30 p.m. Aug. 7, 2004, Sheriff Ben Johnson and Chief Deputy Bill Lee pulled over the sport utility vehicle after driving around Deltona for hours.

Salas then waived his rights, gave a statement to investigators in which they say he confessed to the slayings, and made additional utterances at the jail. And on a jail document requesting protective custody, Salas wrote, "I killed someone," as his reason, witnesses said.

Also at the jail, Salas asked the officer whether he would receive the death penalty.

When Williams said it was possible, she said Salas replied, "I have to die someday anyway."

Check link posted above for Kristen Reed's entire Orlando Sentinel article.

I remember this heartbreaking massacre when it happened. It was a blood-bath. These savage young men are the most brutal of monsters - imo.

13th Juror

Eunice Williams said Salas was smirking and "seemed happy to be there" while she fingerprinted, photographed and booked him into the jail Aug. 8, 2004.

"I said, 'You understand you took a human life?' and he said, 'Yes,' " Williams testified. "And I said, 'You don't have any remorse?' and he said, 'No.' "

:furious: People like this make me sick! Why take him to trial, he confessed. Give him the chair or the needle now!

gatetrekker44 said:
Heard that the 27 yr old's probation officer and 3 supervisors were fired because when he was re-arrested he automatically violated his parole from the prior offense he had committed. The parole folks were supposed to file an order for re-arrest within 48 hrs and did not. But what I REALLY want someone to explain is why, if LE was called SIX times in the last 10 days because of this guy's squatting and they had been informed of the threats made, why were patrols not stepped up in the area and why did they not offer protection to Erin since she had been directly threatened by Victorino???
Isn't he the one that when he was a juvenile in Miami and beat another teen and left him for dead. The victim was unrecognizable and still continues to undergo surgery for the damage done to him. I know there is an article. I have the article in paper form, but I don't know if it is online.

HERE IS HIS MUGSHOT

Troy Victorino Added 08/09/2004 - This is the alleged leader of the "Let's Kill 6 People for an X-box Gang." Meet Troy Victorino, who had a hissy fit because he thought his victims had stolen his X-box and some clothing. According to cops, Victorino allegedly recruited three other buddies, who apparently had the combined IQ of Shaq's shoe size, and they all went over to the house where the victims lived and beat them to death with baseball bats. Oh, and stabbed everyone to, but the coroner says the cause of death was the beatings. Six people - four men and two women, ranging in age from 18 to 34 - killed for an X-Box. Victorino and his gang, Robert Cannon, Jerone Hunter and Michael Salas, were arrested and charged with first degree murder. We'd say "an eye for an eye" would be suitable punishment here.

http://www.mugshots.com/IMAGES/PMugshot__victorino.jpg

fl_sun said:

Jury selection for the 'Deltona Massacre Trial' defendants begins today (Monday, April 10th) and is expected to take 2 weeks. The entire trial is expected to last 2 months.

I received an error message on your link, fl_sun. Perhaps, this one will work.

Troy Miguel Victorino (the ringleader) is the only defendant that has not admitted culpability in the savage slayings of 7 victims - 6 people and a pet dog. One of the 4 vicious perpetrators (Cannon) has already pleaded "guilty" and will be testifying against the other 3.

13th Juror

At the courthouse in Deltona (FL) - jury selection has been delayed. This morning Jerone Hunter's attorney filed a motion seeking "an insanity plea" for their client citing that the 'recent death of one of his cousins has impaired his ability to stand trial.'

The judge is expected to rule on the motions within the next few hours - then jury selection will begin later this afternoon.

From the looks of the film clips of one of the psychologists speaking of Hunter's alleged lack of competence to understand the charges & consequences to stand trial - I do not expect the motion to be granted .. not even close. Both psychologists testified this morning that Hunter was competent to stand trial. IMO - Judge wasn't fooled by this last ditch motion by Hunter's defense atty.

Troy Victorino strode into Court this morning in a brand new suit looking smug & confident. The focus, however, was on Jerone Hunter and his mental competency.

13th Juror

Hey Websleuthers ...

As I expected - the Judge ruled this afternoon that Jerone Hunter was competent to stand trial and denied the defense motion.

A 2nd motion that was denied (once again) was for a change of venue - to somewhere outside of Central Fla. The trial will continue in the Deltona courtroom.

Hunter's attorney had put forth the premise and argument that Jerone is schitzophrenic (sp?) and is hearing "voices" of his dead twin brother and his recently deceased cousin - therefore he is 'incapable of attending his own trial'.

Phooey to that! The trial moves forward with jury selection. A thousand prospective jurors in the pool - 25 a day to be questioned.

Jeana - thanks for moving this thread to the "Trials" forum. :D

13th Juror

DELAND, Fla. -- Jury selection was delayed Monday at the trial of one of the worst mass murders in Central Florida history.

Over several hours, lawyers for murder suspect Jerone Hunter argued that he was not mentally competent to stand trial.

Hunter and Michael Salas were allegedly recruited by Troy Victorino to attack Erin Belanger, Johnathon Gleason, Roberto Gonzalez, Michelle Nathan, Anthony Vega, and Francisco Ayo-Roman.

All six were found dead inside a DeLand home in August 2004.

Prosecutors said Victorino was angry over a missing Xbox video game system.

On the stand Monday, Hunter said little more than "Yes, sir," and "No, sir," to questions about whether he understood the murder charges against him. His lawyers admitted he knew what was going on, but that in the last few weeks the 18-year-old was hearing voices.

Psychologist Eric Mings testified the voice Hunter was hearing was that of his dead twin brother and that it had been going on since he was a young boy.

"Based upon the nature of the charges against him, the psychotic symptoms, I believe that he needs treatment in a hospital situation," Mings said.

But prosecutors brought their own experts who pointed out that Hunter fully understood the charges and the court proceedings and that there was no reason to delay the trial. Judge William Parsons agreed.

Complete story at link provided above.

13th Juror

Excerpts from an article regarding defendant, Troy Victorino, on WKMG TV (Local6.com) website from August 9th of 2004 - 3 days after the Deltona massacre.

"Deltona 'Ringleader' Nearly Beat Man To Death In '96"

Deputies: Revenge Over Xbox Was Motive For Mass Murder

UPDATED: August 9, 2004

The accused ringleader of a group of men who allegedly beat six people to death with aluminum baseball bats in Deltona, Fla., also beat a man until he was unrecognizable in 1996, according to Local 6 News.

Troy Victorino, 27, left a path of destruction long before the murders of six people Friday, Local 6 News reported.

Victorino attacked Michael Stern, who was 20-year-old at the time of the attack, with a walking stick in 1996.

Stern's face and all of his teeth were broken in the attack. Also, his ear was ripped off, according to the report.

"When I saw him in bed, I couldn't ever recognize my own son," the victim's mother Carol Stern said.

"They needed pictures of him to know what he looked like because his head was the size of a basketball."

At the time, Stern pleaded with prosecutors to charge Victorino with attempted first-degree murder. However, Victorino went to jail on a lesser aggravated battery charge.

He served six years for the attack.

<snipped>

Stern said Monday that Victorino should get the death penalty for Friday's attack. Victorino and three other men were charged with first-degree murder Sunday.

"He needs to be executed," Stern said. "I don't think the prisoners would be safe with this man. He's a monster. I think everyone can agree with that."

Police said Friday's attack was the brutal culmination of an argument between Victorino, an ex-convict, and one of the victims, who is believed to be Erin Belanger, 22. She was singled out for a beating so vicious that even dental records were useless in trying to identify her.

All four suspects were armed with aluminum bats when Victorino kicked in the locked front door, according to arrest records. The group, who wore black clothes and had scarves on their faces, grabbed knives inside and attacked victims in different rooms of the three-bedroom house, authorities said.

The victims, some of whom were sleeping, did not put up a fight or try to escape, Sheriff Ben Johnson said. All had been stabbed, but autopsies determined the cause of death was the beating injuries.

Victorino, the last to leave the house, took the Xbox, police said. "The victims really had no chance," Johnson said. "They had no chance to arm themselves it appears."

<SNIPPED>

Continued at link ...

13th Juror

After the first blow to his skull, Michael Stern slumped to the pavement. Then Troy Victorino swung a walking stick again and again across Michael's head, ...
MICHAEL STERN

Michael Stern -- who's now in state prison after robbing an Orange City convenience store last year ... beating, police said Victorino, then 19, beat Stern until the walking stick ...
Ringleader of X-box slaughter was a psychopath

Victorino attacked Michael Stern, who was 20-year-old at the time of the attack, with a walking stick in 1996.
NBC10.com

wow!

Okay - the short story is as follows ...

This trial has been delayed. <groan>

Due to the notoriety of the crimes committed and the amount of media attention focused in the Orlando (Orange Co), Seminole & Lake Co. and Deltona, Deland & Daytona area (Volusia Co) - Judge Parsons has agreed with the DA and defense teams that "a fair & impartial jury" would be difficult. (2 prospective jurors were even discussing the case at a gas station!)

Anyway - the trial is being moved to St. Augustine in St. Johns county. (location: East Coast between Daytona Beach & Jacksonville) IMO - this location change will certainly be a logistical hardship for all the legal eagles concerned - not to mention the exhorbitant additional costs.

The trial is not expected to begin again until June or July.

The DA was mainly concerned about "Appellate Court issues" (overturning the verdicts!) if a change of venue was not granted - so he joined the 'defense team's motion' for the venue change.

There should be an article online regarding the delay but, I'm 'on the run' and don't have time to locate it right now.

Side note to Fl_sun .. excellent links you posted above about Victorino's past criminal history. Most informative and descriptive! I had no idea this criminal/ex-con was such a hideous monster. Thanks for those links. :)

13th Juror

DeLAND -- Kay Shukwit intended to be there every day. She wanted to watch with her own eyes as the justice system decided the fate of the three men accused of beating and stabbing to death her 19-year-old daughter, Michelle Ann Nathan.

Now, she said, that won't be possible.

The trial of the three suspects in the Deltona massacre will move to St. Augustine because the case has received too much publicity and stirred too much emotion for the defendants to receive a fair trial in Volusia County, a judge in DeLand decided Thursday.

"How can we possibly do this with having a family, kids that go to school, just living our lives?" Shukwit said by phone after learning of the decision. She let out a huge sigh and said her blood pressure was reaching the "boiling point."

"I wish I could put someone in my place for an hour . . . and let them see the emotions I deal with," said Shukwit of Deltona. "It's just like reliving everything all over again."

Circuit Judge William A. Parsons and attorneys spent four days questioning potential jurors before Parsons agreed that an impartial jury could not be found in Volusia. Parsons had denied repeated change-of-venue requests by the defense but relented after State Attorney John Tanner said he agreed that a move had become necessary.

"I have a duty greater than prosecuting these men and convicting them, and that is to see to it that they receive a fair trial the best I can," Tanner said. "I do not believe in the current state at this time the defendants can receive a fair trial in Volusia County."

<snipped>

The turning point came when the court learned Thursday of a chance meeting between two potential jurors at a 7-Eleven. A legal secretary said she was approached by a contractor who offered her a can of beer while she pumped gas. He told her the jury didn't need weak people who couldn't handle looking at the graphic crime-scene photographs.

"He said, 'We are all the victims have left. We need to see to it those guys get what's coming to them,' " the woman told the judge.

The man denied making any comments about the case. The judge said he would consider whether to charge the man with criminal contempt of court.
Defense attorneys feared the man had tainted other potential jurors. Tanner said he thought the man's comments were indicative of a community attitude that would be hard to escape so close to the brutal killings.

<Snip>

Troy Victorino, 29, Jerone Hunter, 19, and Michael Salas, 20, are charged with murder, mutilating a dead body and other felonies in the Aug. 6, 2004, beating deaths of two couples who shared a Deltona home and two of their friends who were staying over.

The three men face the death penalty if convicted. Robert Anthony Cannon, 20, will receive life in prison for his role in the crime in exchange for his testimony.

Investigators said the four men used aluminum baseball bats to kill Nathan; her boyfriend Anthony Vega, 34; Erin Belanger, 22; her boyfriend Francisco Ayo Roman, 30; Roberto Gonzalez, 28; and Jonathan Gleason, 17.

Parsons said he knew finding a jury in Volusia would be difficult but remained optimistic when the process began and said the attorneys needed to try, out of respect for the victims' families.

"When we move a trial that has a consequence to the victims' families," the judge said.

Because of logistics, the trial cannot begin until June or July, and the attorneys will meet next week to pick a date.

Families of the slaying victims, however, were aggravated with the news.

"The whole time it has been about them," Patty Gleason said of the defendants charged with killing her son Jonathan. "I want to know when it will be about us."

Gleason, who lives in Deltona, was not going to attend the trial because she couldn't take any more misery.

Bill Belanger, whose daughter Erin was beaten beyond recognition, thinks the trial should stay in the area where the killings occurred.

"I think the people of Volusia County should have had a say," he said. Belanger, who will drive from his New Hampshire home for the trial, said he wondered whether the move to St. Augustine would really guarantee a fair jury for the three men.

"They're guaranteed all these rights," Belanger said. "Erin had a guarantee to live her life."

The last time the court moved a case out of Volusia County was the 1998 trial of Deidre Hunt, who was convicted for the 1989 killings of two Daytona Beach teens as part of a bungled murder-for-hire scheme. After a withdrawn plea, the former cocktail waitress went on trial in St. Augustine when a judge decided there was too much publicity about the case and the woman's confession.

But high-profile cases have stayed in the county -- such as the trials of serial killer Aileen Wuornos.

<snipped>

But jury selection for the massacre trial was proving more difficult. Frank Bankowitz, who represents Hunter, said he had never seen so many potential jurors excused for cause -- which covers people who have already formed opinions, have conscientious beliefs about reaching a guilty verdict or the death penalty or hardships that are so serious they would distract them from the work in court.

<snipped>

<more at link>

Kristen Reed - Sentinel Staff Writer
April 14, 2006

13th Juror

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads