CA CA - Phuong Le, 24, Fairfield, 25 April 2010 - #3

It may have been an abduction by a stranger, but it's also possible she went with someone willingly. I find it interesting that all her belongings were in the trunk, and the keys were not found. It's possible she put her stuff in the trunk for safekeeping and got in someone else's car to go for a drive. All she needed to take with her were the car keys.

If she was getting in her car to go home or somewhere else, why put everything in the trunk? I can see putting the backpack there, but cell phone and wallet, too? Especially the cell phone. And if some stranger abducted her would he/she take the time to put all her stuff in the trunk first?

Someone she knew could have been waiting, or pulled up in the parking lot, and said, "Hey get in. Let's go for a drive and talk." She puts her stuff in the trunk, takes her keys with her, and gets in. What happened after that is anyone's guess. But I think she knew the person and went willingly.

Since we don't know her habits, maybe it was her regular habit to put her stuff into the trunk of the car. She could have come out of B&N, put her stuff in the trunk, getting ready to enter the car, when somebody grabbed her. She looks to be tiny, so it would have been easy.
Number of young (and even not so young) females get abducted from parking lots and murdered by a stranger, Dru Sjodin one example.

With the stranger abduction theory, she was at b&n and the gym almost every night. She had a regular, long-term, established pattern to her activities. It would have been all too easy for a perp to watch her, learn those patterns, wait for a vulnerable moment, and grab her.

For that matter, going with a theory of someone who knew her, not TN (a guy from school for example), her pattern of activities was easy to learn, making her easy to follow and stalk and wait for a vulnerable moment.
I totally agree, BeanE, and I think it's quite possible this is exactly what happened. A stalker, maybe someone who developed an infatuation with her. He could even have been inside B&N that evening. MOO

I wonder what kind of weapon LE is looking for? I hope they find it!!!

I wish we could know the condition in which her body was found. The type and manner of death might provide some insight into the killer's mindset.

I guess B&N did not have video of her leaving the store, that we know of? Would have shown if anyone followed her out at same time. Sounds like they were more worried with having cameras on cash registers to watch employees from what we have heard so far. Too bad, if that is the case. I wish she had gone to Wal-Mart...they have cameras just about everywhere, from what I gather...

If I go someplace and don't need to take my purse inside, like the library, I sometimes throw it trunk so it is not visible on the seat...it might not be that unusual to have done that...

Forgive me if I'm not getting this right. It was reported that when her body was found their was no visible trauma to the body. Once the autopsy was conducted they found trauma that was not visible to the naked eye? At least that's the idea that I'm getting.

If there was in fact no trauma discovered until the autopsy, that makes me think that it could possibly be a head injury. For those of you that have followed the JonBenet Ramsey case, she appeared to only have been strangled until the autopsy when they found massive head trauma that otherwise was not visable.

Possibly something similar here??? It is believed that JonBenet may have suffered the head trauma because she screamed, and it was a fatal way of silencing her. Could PL have possibly suffered the same fate??? If she was fighting her attacker and making too much noise and or possibly making a scene a blow to the head would be a good way to silence her fairly quickly.

Just a thought.

ETA: If she did in fact suffer a blow to the head, virtually any number of things could have caused it. They believe JonBenet was hit with a flashlight. If she was hit with a similar object that is not often thought of as a weapon it could make LE's search that much harder sadly.

Forgive me if I'm not getting this right. It was reported that when her body was found their was no visible trauma to the body. Once the autopsy was conducted they found trauma that was not visible to the naked eye? At least that's the idea that I'm getting.

If there was in fact no trauma discovered until the autopsy, that makes me think that it could possibly be a head injury. For those of you that have followed the JonBenet Ramsey case, she appeared to only have been strangled until the autopsy when they found massive head trauma that otherwise was not visable.

Possibly something similar here??? It is believed that JonBenet may have suffered the head trauma because she screamed, and it was a fatal way of silencing her. Could PL have possibly suffered the same fate??? If she was fighting her attacker and making too much noise and or possibly making a scene a blow to the head would be a good way to silence her fairly quickly.

Just a thought.

ETA: If she did in fact suffer a blow to the head, virtually any number of things could have caused it. They believe JonBenet was hit with a flashlight. If she was hit with a similar object that is not often thought of as a weapon it could make LE's search that much harder sadly.

Just to note, and trying not to get too graphic here, but due to the likely amount of surface tissue decomp, strangulation would probably not have been evident until they got a look inside her throat to see the internal tissue damage. Of course that would mean looking for a ligature, which could be anything and would be even harder than your scenario (good one by the way)

I wonder if they are now thinking she was killed at the scene then? Because I would think the murder weapon would be left at the scene of the crime unless the perp took it with him/her and dumped it w/ her body?

I can see her doing that easily, if her next stop was the gym...and she was said to frequently go to the gym after B&N at night. But IMO, it still fits in w/ both a stranger abduction or someone she knew. She came out of the bookstore, tossed her stuff in the trunk, and going toward the car door w/ her keys in hand, something happened....either a stranger snagged her, or someone she knew came up to her and said hey, come sit in my car with me for a minute and talk.

I put my stuff in the trunk if I don't want to drag it along with me. I keep my car keys and wallet though (if I'm going to the store or cleaners). For the gym - keys only.

I wonder if this was a habit of hers. Friends and family should be able to tell. My husband knows (as I often say "where's my purse -- oh it's in the trunk". Gotta stop doing that.

MOO

Mel

I am thinking that they are looking for something that was used as a weapon to match whatever wound they found...maybe something not ordinarily a weapon, such as a certain piece of wood or a rock? I have not heard if they have gone back into TN's house to look for one, since her body was found, has anyone else? Or are they looking back at the site of her body? Still, lots of mystery in this case, as far as LE holding things back or in the way they are being reported anyway...hard to imagine what kind of wound/injury made them realize they were looking for a device or weapon of some kind...I would guess a head injury as well, but just a guess.

I put my stuff in the trunk if I don't want to drag it along with me. I keep my car keys and wallet though (if I'm going to the store or cleaners). For the gym - keys only.

I wonder if this was a habit of hers. Friends and family should be able to tell. My husband knows (as I often say "where's my purse -- oh it's in the trunk". Gotta stop doing that.

MOO

Mel

It might be, but the brother who found her car said he was "surprised" (might not have used that word) when he opened the trunk and found her bag back there with all her personal belongings in it.

I thought this to mean he was surprised because this was not her habit. It was out of the ordinary for her, so it was alarming.

But another possibility...he might have just been surprised to find her personal belongings in the trunk because she was not near them. It was well after midnight, she was unaccounted for, yet her most personal possessions (wallet, cell phone (which everyone I know keeps practically on their person at all times)) were locked in the trunk. That might have been what was alarming to him.

IDK. Just brainstorming.

It might be, but the brother who found her car said he was "surprised" (might not have used that word) when he opened the trunk and found her bag back there with all her personal belongings in it.

I thought this to mean he was surprised because this was not her habit. It was out of the ordinary for her, so it was alarming.

But another possibility...he might have just been surprised to find her personal belongings in the trunk because she was not near them. It was well after midnight, she was unaccounted for, yet her most personal possessions (wallet, cell phone (which everyone I know keeps practically on their person at all times)) were locked in the trunk. That might have been what was alarming to him.

IDK. Just brainstorming.

Exactly what I think too 'Ailina. Most brothers really wouldn't be aware how/where their sisters put their purse and stuff when they were out driving, running errands, going to a gym, etc. But he WOULD be shocked to find all her personal items in the trunk and not with HER.

FWIW... There was so creep in Seattle last year that was specifically targeting asian women. I'm not sure if he escalated pass groping to rape... can't remember. I hate that PL had such an established routine. She could have had a stalker and not even been aware of it.

No NEW news, I'd like to see where LE is going with this at least, there is a violent perp at large in Northern California. At least warn the public. IMO

Agreed. For every additional day that passes in silence, my heart sinks a little lower.

No NEW news, I'd like to see where LE is going with this at least, there is a violent perp at large in Northern California. At least warn the public. IMO
I would think if there is the slightest chance this crime was committed by a stranger that LE would warn the public. Yet we haven't heard anything or who might be a POI. MOO

I know and that's what bothers me, A/its someone close to family or B/they have NO idea and yet...(I just find it scary that if this was random then at least tell people to be careful, etc.)

Phuong Le's killer will be found, family says

SOLANO COUNTY, CA - "Almost a week after the body of 25-year-old Phuong Le was found in rural Napa County, investigators said Thursday they have no solid leads in the Suisun City woman's killing.

Sergeant Joel Orr of the Fairfield Police Department said his detectives are shifting through every lead they have, but nothing has become relevant yet.

Meanwhile, Phuong's family said they are growing restless knowing her killer is free. Le's brother Huong said the possibility of the case going cold has crossed his mind, but he remains optimistic.

"I'm worried about it, but I've talked to the detective and I believe in him. I believe that he's going to do whatever is in his power. He's not going to give up," said Huong."

and

"How Le died has not been made public by Fairfield police investigating her disappearance and death.

"I really want to know how my sister died, but I'm afraid to know," Huong said. "I don't want to know that she was suffering. I don't want to find out that she was in pain before she died."

Huong also said time is forcing him to come up with his own theories.

"It could be random, but to me, it's someone that she knew, or a stalker that's been stalking her for a while that did this to her," Huong Le said."

more . . .

Wow. Just wow.

Fairfield cops scold media in Phuong Le murder case
Last updated 2 hrs ago

A spokesman for the Fairfield Police Department has issued a strongly-worded statement criticizing inaccurate and insensitive reporting in the Phuong Le murder case.

The rare rebuke was contained in an e-mail message sent by Lt. Darrin Moody to media outlets updating the status of the investigation. "Recent media reports have erroneously reported information and inaccurate facts which have caused unnecessary distractions and delays for the investigative team, as well as pain and concern for the family of Phuong Le," Moody wrote.

snip

Moody said it had been reported that investigators were searching for a murder weapon outside of Solano County this week. "That was absolutely not true," he said. "That was (a reporter) jumping to conclusions without verifying the facts."

Moody said he was also frustrated by reports that Le was pregnant and that her former employer, with whom she had a relationship, was a suspect in the homicide. Moody said both were untrue.

Investigators were especially upset, he said, when one of Le's brothers showed up at the roadside crime scene in Napa County where Le's body was discovered last Friday. Moody said a television reporter tipped off Dinh Le to the discovery, who then arrived at the crime scene with the reporter.

"We were going to notify the family that evening anyway, but wanted to get as much information as possible before going to them," Moody explained. He said the chief of police was enroute to the home of Le's parents to make notification in person but was too late.

Moody said he's had to call Le's family at least three times to refute media reports. "As everybody can imagine, it's a pretty emotional case and it takes a toll on both the investigators and the family. We're trying to be sensitive," he said.

snip

He said they have identified no suspects.

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=81470&catid=2

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73