RC to Plead Guilty

I read here earlier but was very upset that he was able to plea down to 44 years from a possible death sentence. How many of the 44 years will he truly serve? At the very least he should have gotten life.

I had not read this before... Is this true?

Her body was found upside down stuffed behind a research lab wall

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/nyregion/18yale.html?_r=1

And this...

He said semen from elsewhere at the scene definitively matched Clark’s DNA.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/...lark_says_guilty_to_killing_annie_le/id_34802

He lusted after Annie alright.. What a sicko!!!! :furious:

I am sorry... I should not post when I am upset... This is such a travesty of justice IMO..

Thanks for your post. I wondered if it is a sexually driven crime or one out of anger.
Either way it seems her upcoming marriage pushed him over the edge.
How horrible.

Sexually driven and out of anger are not mutually exclusive.
If he had made sexual advances which she refused that could have led to her murder.

I had hoped there was nothing more to this case. I had a feeling there would always be something with it that we would never know happened, I just didn't expect it to be this much. It took me a long time to find peace in this horrible thing. I never even knew Annie and it effected me greatly. Now that I have read this, I don't know if I ever will feel at peace with this. I don't understand why the family signed the plea deal. I know it is hard for them to keep going to court but this monster got off easy. They have enough evidence to lock this monster away until his bones turn to dust but instead he will get out before he turns 70.

Its so sad to know that Annie's life, or anyone's life, is only worth 44 years of justice these days, if that. The sentencing is nothing more than a hasty alternative and a direct insult to Annie. I don't understand if they had enough to convict him of the crime then why was a plea offer even given? He commited the most heinous and horrible crime anyone could possibly commit and will get out of jail before he dies of old age. I am still confused about the whole thing now. Why are they calling it an "attempted sexual assault" when they found Annie like they did?

One last thing I would like to say is all of this stuff he is saying on how he is sorry for what he did is complete BS. He is only saying that because he got caught. Look what he dd shortly after he did this crime. He went with his girl friend to have ice cream. Does that look like someone who is sorry for what they did? He doesn't regret what he did one bit. But I guess thats what they all say isn't it? They are always sorry AFTER they do the crime. But as long as nobody knows then there is nothing to be sorry about, is there? These sick minded killers better get used to the heat because hell is getting so hot its burning the bottom of my feet with all of these psychotic cold blooded crimes. Let this murderer rot in jail then rot in hell.

And if this killer feels so bad about what he did then why doesn't he tell anyone why he did it? He already admitted to the crime so what does he have to lose now? Also his dad said he regretted this from the beginning meaning he knew his son did it all along but yet he continued to call him a caring person and what not. Seriously what the hell is wrong with people? This world is over.

I read here earlier but was very upset that he was able to plea down to 44 years from a possible death sentence. How many of the 44 years will he truly serve? At the very least he should have gotten life.

I had not read this before... Is this true?

Her body was found upside down stuffed behind a research lab wall

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/nyregion/18yale.html?_r=1

And this...

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/...lark_says_guilty_to_killing_annie_le/id_34802

He lusted after Annie alright.. What a sicko!!!! :furious:

I am sorry... I should not post when I am upset... This is such a travesty of justice IMO..

BBM :innocent: Absolutely TRUE and part of the reason why I stepped away from "in-depth" comment regarding this case. This young woman received a brutal attack as evidenced by her pre-mortem injuries and as typical of a disorganized perp, her corpse was disposed of in a haphazard, "disrespectful" manner; a condition which caused even greater "disfigurement" than just decomposition of the time duration might do!:banghead:

Regarding the extent of time in prison: IF he EVER receives parole, it WILL be a miracle as it is the intent of MANY who served in this case to attend any P-board hearings since their voices were NOT heard within a courtroom!

septc: not elaborating regarding "motive" is in HIS favor regarding HIS future i.e. parole, "good behavior rewards", criminal "status" in prison. The CLARK family comments are disassociating this behavior from the "boy they knew" and other interviews claim they can't "understand" this break in his "caring" personality. (IMHO:sick:......DENIAL but "whatever" survival of the family unit). Addressing the "attempted sexual assault" is the legal term to identify what the forensic evidence :maddening: established at the post and nope,:innocent: not going into detail! Graphic information from the post was presented, the family DID NOT want to endure it within the courtroom.

I don't want the details of the charge. I want to know why other people who rape and kill their victims get the death penalty or hundreds of years in jail and this creep only gets 44 years. It doesn't make sense.

I don't want the details of the charge. I want to know why other people who rape and kill their victims get the death penalty or hundreds of years in jail and this creep only gets 44 years. It doesn't make sense.

Hi, SeptC, thanks for your soulful post. I oppose the death penalty, but I share your frustration. It should have been a life sentence. The simple answer to your question is that he pled guilty. The whole thing is heart-breaking. I just keep thinking of her smiling face in pictures and stories of her commitment to helping people.

Chanler Quote:
Hi, SeptC, thanks for your soulful post. I oppose the death penalty, but I share your frustration. It should have been a life sentence. The simple answer to your question is that he pled guilty. The whole thing is heart-breaking. I just keep thinking of her smiling face in pictures and stories of her commitment to helping people."

:truce: My best to you both, I totally agree with the frustration as justice seems to be metered out within ANY jurisdiction :maddening: but in this case, the skill of his lawyer(s) certainly helped in getting a satisfactory deal....satisfactory to those directly involved, that is!:banghead: Now, is it exactly "justice" per se......well, as I :innocent: have to do with every case I'm involved in, that I :innocent: leave to the Higher Power:seeya:

Chanler Quote:
Hi, SeptC, thanks for your soulful post. I oppose the death penalty, but I share your frustration. It should have been a life sentence. The simple answer to your question is that he pled guilty. The whole thing is heart-breaking. I just keep thinking of her smiling face in pictures and stories of her commitment to helping people."

:truce: My best to you both, I totally agree with the frustration as justice seems to be metered out within ANY jurisdiction :maddening: but in this case, the skill of his lawyer(s) certainly helped in getting a satisfactory deal....satisfactory to those directly involved, that is!:banghead: Now, is it exactly "justice" per se......well, as I :innocent: have to do with every case I'm involved in, that I :innocent: leave to the Higher Power:seeya:

Lord, Joypath, you put that so well. I hope that at Clark's formal sentencing, the victim's family, who are also victims, will voice their pent-up feelings about this nightmarish crime. And, as others have said, I don't believe that Clark will be getting out while Annie's survivors are still breathing.

There was no justice in this case. We have to stop making deals with these cold blooded killers just to cut a case short. I am afraid before long our criminal justice system will be so corrupt that there will be something else created to protect a killer where they can get off with no punishment. America's justice is too soft.

What I don't understand is why didn't more people involved in the case want more justice? When I read the new information released the other day on this, it made me SICK. I couldn't eat all day and had trouble sleeping. And so I wonder why they let this killer off so easy when they had the evidence to convict him in trial. It feels like they disregarded most of the crap he did and treated this case so unprofessionally. I am so disgusted by this. I have no faith in the criminal justice system at all. It is so corrupt its going to let evil take over the world simply because people don't want to bother with long processes or justice.

What I don't understand is why didn't more people involved in the case want more justice? When I read the new information released the other day on this, it made me SICK. I couldn't eat all day and had trouble sleeping. And so I wonder why they let this killer off so easy when they had the evidence to convict him in trial. It feels like they disregarded most of the crap he did and treated this case so unprofessionally. I am so disgusted by this. I have no faith in the criminal justice system at all. It is so corrupt its going to let evil take over the world simply because people don't want to bother with long processes or justice.

Hi, Septc, your post is moving. Call me pragmatic, but I was actually a bit relieved by the sentence; manslaughter pleas often bring far less time. I think that Le's family and fiance will be there when he does finally come up for parole.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime here. It really feels like they disregarded the brutality of this crime. If you put all the evidence together and play it out in your mind, it becomes clear that the 44 year plea deal is a direct insult to the very concept of justice. The only plea deal that should have been offered would be one to avoid the death penalty in exchange to die in jail.

I'll be sure never to visit Connecticut in the fear that if I get murdered there my killer will get a slap on the wrist.

So Ray's dad says he is proud of his son for taking responsibility for his actions.

Note to Dad: Taking responsibility for one's actions = owning up to them soon after the fact, rather than changing your plea from not guilty to guilty a year and a half later, once it becomes clear that things are going to be pretty grim for you in a courtroom scenario.

I know you must be devastated by your son's actions, and are reaching for any silver lining, and I feel for you, but such a rationalization would be better off kept to yourself, because I don't think you will find too many outside observers agreeing with you.

So Ray's dad says he is proud of his son for taking responsibility for his actions.

Note to Dad: Taking responsibility for one's actions = owning up to them soon after the fact, rather than changing your plea from not guilty to guilty a year and a half later, once it becomes clear that things are going to be pretty grim for you in a courtroom scenario.

I know you must be devastated by your son's actions, and are reaching for any silver lining, and I feel for you, but such a rationalization would be better off kept to yourself, because I don't think you will find too many outside observers agreeing with you.

I don't think his dad speaks much truth in my opinion. I think he just wants publicity. His son did not take any responsibility for his actions. Remember that his son went and had ice cream with his girl friend shortly after he did this horrible crime and then continued to keep hiding evidence and for almost 2 years he kept lieing and saying he didn't do it. And you're right it wasn't until he had enough evidence thrown in his face that made him realize he had no chance in court before he finally admitted to it.

So you see. What we have here is no more than a cold blooded sexual predator and murderer who doesn't give a damn about anyone, or life and has no remorse or regret for their actions. I promise you had they not caught him he would still be living his life the same way he was before and would have struck again to some other poor innocent girl. Like I said this killer only says hes sorry because he got caught. He doesn't care at all what he did nor does he care about the many lives he has shattered because of it nor the thousands who are emotionally torn apart because of it.

I hope his life is miserable everyday in jail. I hope the inmates give him hell. But in any case, I believe in a higher power who's justice cannot be evaded.

So is this case done or is it still possible for the plea deal to be rejected and go to trial despite Annie's family signing it? It just really bothers me this creep gets off with a light sentence. I think the forensics should have called it sexual assault and not attempted sexual assault because then I think even the plea deal would have been a longer sentence. And what I still don't understand is if they had enough evidence to convict him in trial then why was a plea deal even offered? This does not make any sense at all!

So is this case done or is it still possible for the plea deal to be rejected and go to trial despite Annie's family signing it? It just really bothers me this creep gets off with a light sentence. I think the forensics should have called it sexual assault and not attempted sexual assault because then I think even the plea deal would have been a longer sentence. And what I still don't understand is if they had enough evidence to convict him in trial then why was a plea deal even offered? This does not make any sense at all!

Hi, SeptC. The deal is essentially done. I believe there will be a formal sentencing at which members of the victim's family can speak. I think that the charge of sexual assault was not made because none of his DNA was found internally. Plea deals are made by the prosecution for several reasons: To secure a conviction which in a trial might not be a certainty; to prevent time-wasting and costly appeals; to optimize prosecutors' resources; to protect the victim's family from needless agony and innuendo at the trial.

Hi, SeptC. The deal is essentially done. I believe there will be a formal sentencing at which members of the victim's family can speak. I think that the charge of sexual assault was not made because none of his DNA was found internally. Plea deals are made by the prosecution for several reasons: To secure a conviction which in a trial might not be a certainty; to prevent time-wasting and costly appeals; to optimize prosecutors' resources; to protect the victim's family from needless agony and innuendo at the trial.

I still don't get it. If a man touches a woman inappropriately in public isn't that sexual assault? Sometimes I just don't trust forensics. I can't help but feel that the punishment this killer is getting is not justice for the crime. Money should never be a concern in the pursuit of justice. The entire justice system is corrupt.

I still don't get it. If a man touches a woman inappropriately in public isn't that sexual assault? Sometimes I just don't trust forensics. I can't help but feel that the punishment this killer is getting is not justice for the crime. Money should never be a concern in the pursuit of justice. The entire justice system is corrupt.

Hi, SeptC. In most states, there are steeply escalating degrees of sexual assault. In New Jersey and New York, for instance, there exist charges for
fourth-degree criminal sexual contact, which are far less severe than for first-degree sexual assault and, of course, for rape. In Clark's case, the forensic proof for sexual assault was unassailable, but there seems to have been no DNA evidence for rape.

I can understand your outrage. Twenty-two year-old Annie Le lost her life and marriage while twenty-six-year-old Raymond Clark is losing 44 years of imprisonment.

I would be happier if we could have heard the full story, including the time line of what he did. It almost sounds like he pleaded guilty because they were backed against a wall. I mean, sexual assault?! How does that figure in their relationship? He just randomly decided to throw himself at her? Or were they fooling around.

So they did find his semen on her? That definitely is hard to argue. But did that lead to murder? I just find it odd that this guy had a fiance, but he wanted to get physical with a student who was getting married and who he allegedly did not have much contact with. It just doesn't make any sense.

Edit: Okay, the semen in her panty liner was NOT positively identified as his. They found it elsewhere at the scene, but not on her. I don't know what to think. Maybe she was having an affair, someone else stumbled upon them, and they killed her, and he's protecting them? Unless he's given a full confession to the police detailing the events that led up to and after the murder, I'm not 100% he did it or acted alone. Plus, no where does it say that she was undressed that it could point to assault. When they found her body, it was crammed into a small space, so just the act of placing it in there could have resulted in the shifting of the bra and panties. And strangely, the father quoted his son as saying he 'cause the death of Annie'. Not murdered, not killed. Is that carefully worded lawyer-speak, or is that someone protecting another person or persons?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back