Brazil - Joao Helio Fernandes, 6, dragged to death in Rio carjacking, 7 Feb 2007

reb said:
i guess i'm on the fence with this. in some ways it seems worse, but in other ways.. in the old days, infantacide was a common thing. in ancient times babies were often just abandoned to die on hillsides. things were not reported to the police and definitely not public knowledge. in more recent times- even well into the 20th century.. beating a kid, child rape and molestation were not considered abuse- so not only was a lot of stuff not talked about or reported, but it was not even considered a crime.
i just don't want peole to think that infantacide or killing children is a new thing. as for any increase in numbers-- there is just more crime overall- because of the ever-exploding population, governments being overwhelmed and corrupt, lack of funds, families falling apart, stress, lack of mental health care, too much idle time/lack of meaningful work, technology, *advertiser censored*, & of course- drugs & crime. add on top of that more & more cases being reported- and it seems like a while lot more-- and of course it IS a whole lot more, because, the world population is growing by about 75 million people PER YEAR... or about 5 people per second. so of course there's going to be more cases of everything (including infanticide). but is the situation really getting worse, percentage-wise? once again, all problems come back to one thing--- overpopulation.
I guess I am in the minority on this thread, but I think things are good and getting better every day. Children certainly have more rights today and people seem more concerned with how things affect our children than they did when I was a child. Molestation and abuse are not covered up nearly the way they used to be. We are more open and we are more aware.

I am happy at the world my young sons will inherit. There is so much beauty and light here - no matter what the media wants to tell me! :rolleyes:

beauty and light? i'm glad you're feeling positive about it, but wow-- what universe do you live in?!

reb said:
i just don't want peole to think that infantacide or killing children is a new thing. QUOTE]

I can't imagine that anyone would think that.

you'd be surprised, WR. a lot of people don't know much at all about history.

I guess so. Sometimes I wish I didn't know all this horror existed.

me neither. geez, maybe it's better NOT to know any history, or any of the present for that matter. LOL. no wonder everyone's so into knowing what britney or paris was wearing, or who they are screwing, etc. who wants to hear all this stuff all the time? oops- i guess we do. are we masochists or something....?

southcitymom said:
I guess I am in the minority on this thread, but I think things are good and getting better every day. Children certainly have more rights today and people seem more concerned with how things affect our children than they did when I was a child. Molestation and abuse are not covered up nearly the way they used to be. We are more open and we are more aware.

I am happy at the world my young sons will inherit. There is so much beauty and light here - no matter what the media wants to tell me! :rolleyes:
Southcitymom-you and I must live in the same universe. I think this is a great time to be a kid and a parent and I think the world is pretty good overall. There's always bad people in the world doing bad things but most of the people I see around me are good people doing their best to raise good kids. For every terrible parenting story you read on hear there's 1,000 parents raising their kids right and providing loving, caring, homes.

Becca

beakiebean said:
Southcitymom-you and I must live in the same universe. I think this is a great time to be a kid and a parent and I think the world is pretty good overall. There's always bad people in the world doing bad things but most of the people I see around me are good people doing their best to raise good kids. For every terrible parenting story you read on hear there's 1,000 parents raising their kids right and providing loving, caring, homes.

Becca
Thank goodness, Becca. I know we are not the only two. It's easy to get bogged down in the negative - especially if you hang out on a board like this - but I am continually amazed with what I see from my fellow human beings. :blowkiss:

arrests made:

The police say that two youngsters, Diego da Silva, 18, and E. (a minor), have confessed the crime telling details of what they've done and showing very little emotion. They have also implicated two other youths.

more:
http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/7885/54/

This makes me physically ill!!! At least it does sound as though the little boy died right away.:mad:

I just couldn't click the link to the story to read about it. The thread title made me ill. I just hope this child did not suffer for long.

mistivon said:
arrests made:

The police say that two youngsters, Diego da Silva, 18, and E. (a minor), have confessed the crime telling details of what they've done and showing very little emotion. They have also implicated two other youths.

more:
http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/7885/54/
Thank you for the update. I am so glad they have caught the suspects. Such a sad story.

One of the kids apparently saw the child's body after they stopped and continued to dig through the car for stuff worth value.

I could not imagine seeing a bloody child's body with no head, fingers, or knees, and hanging from a carseat and think of only what the stereo could be worth.
This bothered me all night.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4