GUILTY CT - Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, & 2 daughters killed in home invasion, 23 July 2007

Today is the lst anniversary of my husband's sudden death and I cannot even imagine what Dr Petit is going through. Nor his sister or the entire family.

I watched and cried for them. I thought Oprah did very well. I hope and pray they find peace one day in their lifetime. I don't know though. They still have another gruelling trial to go through.

I too liked his answer for forgiveness. Even Oprah did. In fact, I think he gave Oprah a few things to think about today. I don't think I've ever seen her so humble.
((((jilly))))

Judge, attorneys clash in Conn. home invasion case

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- Attorneys for a man charged with a home invasion that left a mother and her two daughters dead clashed sharply Tuesday with a judge, who questioned whether one of the lawyers was threatening a filibuster of jury selection.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HOME_INVASION?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

The other defendant wants a plea deal - plead guilty in exchange for life without parole. I hope it's rejected:

Conn. Home Invasion Update: Second defendant Joshua Komisarjevsky offers to plead guilty, avoid death penalty

Komisarjevsky's plea offer comes less than a week before the start of jury selection for his trial in New Haven Superior Court.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20042865-504083.html?tag=stack

Posts from the Hayes thread that might help the discussion here.

Komisarjevky's notes are pretty rambling. Who knows how much is true and how much is fantasy or boasting, etc. Whereas Hayes was apparantly very bothered by the media attention, Kom seems to relish it. I suspect at his trial he may very well testify himself and have some very shocking/hurtful things to say. I'm sure he realizes he almost certainly will get a death sentence and so has nothing really to lose. I think his arogance will not let him keep silent.

No, his type will have to testify. They never know when to shut up. Good, he will dig his own grave!!

Goz

Oprah's show today had to be one of the toughest interviews I've ever watched. My heart breaks for him and his sister too.

His answer to Oprah about if he could ever forgive or if he feels the need to forgive the monsters who killed his family was the best I've ever heard. He said that one can forgive someone who causes an accident, hits you in the face and/or slanders you (not exact words). His point is there are many unkind things people do to one another that can be forgiven. He went on to say that he did not feel he could forgive evil nor should he have to as God doesn't require us to forgive evil. God hates evil.

I've not heard someone say this before on TV but it's the way I have always felt. It's not the peoples job to make evil doings acceptable by offering our forgiveness to those who are evil. Forgiveness is totally up to God imo.

If ever we were to go back to a system of an eye for an eye, I'd have no problem with someone taking these two behind the shed and putting a bullet in them. So I just answered my own doubts about the death penalty. When the crime is this cold hearted and there is no doubt who committed it, why do we waste our resources and concern over the perps well being? We should put our energies into developing educational systems on how to avoid people like this. If only, if only . . . that is what Dr. Petit said goes through his head all the time.

Somehow he has mustered up the strength to begin raising money for the Petit Family Foundation for Justice to honor the memory of his family.

Judge, attorneys clash in Conn. home invasion case

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- Attorneys for a man charged with a home invasion that left a mother and her two daughters dead clashed sharply Tuesday with a judge, who questioned whether one of the lawyers was threatening a filibuster of jury selection.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HOME_INVASION?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Judge to remain for trial of second Petit murder suspect

A motion to disqualify Judge Jon C. Blue from Joshua Komisarjevsky&#8217;s murder trial was denied.

The motion for the change of venue will be heard Feb. 23.

http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/15/judge-to-remain-for-trial-of-second-petit-murder-suspect/

Looks like Komisarjevsky would like to plead guilty now. I wonder if the judge approved that?

Also, does anyone know who the 3rd person in this home invasion was and if they have gone to trial or if they will face trial?

TIA,

Salem

Hey, I thought this guy was gonna plea to save the dad/husband from more heartache. What happened?

Thanks,

Mel

I read in the Courant the other day that he will plead guilty if they don't go for the death penalty. There aren't 3 people - only hayes and Komisarjevsky.

Looks like Komisarjevsky would like to plead guilty now. I wonder if the judge approved that?

Also, does anyone know who the 3rd person in this home invasion was and if they have gone to trial or if they will face trial?

TIA,

Salem

Here's an article about the motion filed by the defense
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/nyregion/12cheshire.html?_r=1

Here is the motion filed
Motion_St._v._Komisarjevsky

Jury selection is underway for September trial, but no jurors were chosen today.
http://orange.patch.com/articles/no-jurors-picked-for-komisarjevsky-trial-on-first-day-2

I'm confused. Why would they be picking a jury in March - but the trial doesn't start until September?

I'm confused. Why would they be picking a jury in March - but the trial doesn't start until September?

I read in an article that it will take months to seat a jury. Perhaps this is why they've already started the selection process.

TIA,

Salem

There was no "third person"

jury selection has been moving along, it has taken a while but they only have a new alternates alternates to select,

DP is still on the table,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back