TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its not like the DeKalb unit just inserted themselves - they were asked to do the search by TN authorities.

No legitimate search org toots their own horns and inserts themselves into cases. That is red flag 101 in the search world --- Plenty claim they don't come in unless LE calls them but in reality the high profile ones many gravitate to and will indeed insert themselves and claim otherwise . I am surprised nobody has dug enough to see that this Sheriff did toot his own horn. He was one of dozens of teams that were brought in from 11 states with more than 5 resources in SAR that were utilized on this search -Sheriff was called in by a national org who did not inset themselves into this case but were requested by top law officials. Calling outside mounted teams not in typical network is not uncommon when you can't fly a horse to a location. You would expect more from a sheriff department so one would think. Again, goes to show the professionalism of those who were indeed brought in --- 99.9 % of the other teams present who did not send out press releases. This sheriff has NO jurisdiction and this was indeed a toot my horn moment as I said earlier the other 99.9 % of teams did not press release themselves out in this type of fashion.

It's a directly neighboring state. People just across the Alabama line have close ties with Tennessee, and vice versa.

So he tooted his own horn - so what? Every search team I've ever read about does that. TES does the same thing, and has hundreds of fans lined up to do it for them. Some of us are not as thrilled with them - they don't find everyone they are looking for - not even close. They didn't find Caylee Anthony and she was right there in the neighborhood. They apparently searched everywhere except in her own back yard. :twocents:

I actually applaud LE for bringing in some new eyes and horses on the ground. These folks may not have found Holly, but they searched a wide area that can be cleared. Knowing where someone is not is just as important as knowing where someone is. JMOO :cow:

It's a directly neighboring state. People just across the Alabama line have close ties with Tennessee, and vice versa.

So he tooted his own horn - so what? Every search team I've ever read about does that. TES does the same thing, and has hundreds of fans lined up to do it for them. Some of us are not as thrilled with them - they don't find everyone they are looking for - not even close. They didn't find Caylee Anthony and she was right there in the neighborhood. They apparently searched everywhere except in her own back yard. :twocents:

I actually applaud LE for bringing in some new eyes and horses on the ground. These folks may not have found Holly, but they searched a wide area that can be cleared. Knowing where someone is not is just as important as knowing where someone is. JMOO :cow:
BBM:
I agree.

MOO, but often SAR groups (as Walker stated above) do insert themselves into high profile cases, and it is a red flag- not for lack of skill or experience necessarily- but often just because they can. I truly don't know if that's necessarily the case here, because so many states and regions share resources when they simply do not have the same access to equipment or time or manpower- or have already exhausted their own resources on a case, and need outside support.

Maybe the sheriff knew a sheriff who knew another sheriff or whatever- that happens all the time. I think what it all comes down to, is desperation.
And trying to clear or confirm cleared areas. :(

I hope hope hope they found some evidence and this case can be closed.

BBM:

Maybe the sheriff knew a sheriff who knew another sheriff or whatever- that happens all the time. I think what it all comes down to, is desperation.
And trying to clear or confirm cleared areas. :(

The DeKalb unit was ASKED to search as they were a mounted unit not available in Henderson or Darden. They didnt just think of going and searching there on their own.

The DeKalb unit was ASKED to search as they were a mounted unit not available in Henderson or Darden. They didnt just think of going and searching there on their own.

I think maybe you misunderstood my post? That's what I meant. It is very common for LE from different jurisdictions to share resources when local resources have been exhausted, or are simply not available.

I think maybe you misunderstood my post? That's what I meant. It is very common for LE from different jurisdictions to share resources when local resources have been exhausted, or are simply not available.

I was really answering the couple of other posts and used yours in my reply. But yeah its quite common. I don't know why people don't get that.

No posts in over 72 hours...
Just posting...because...

Yeah sad but what are people supposed to post on? Honestly every possible thing has been beat to death in the last year...

I have been wondering if the requested search was due to the arrest of TB or whether a tip has come in to LE. Any thoughts?

I have been wondering about the search area as well..but reports makes it seem like this was an area were terrain was impossible to cover in any other way except with the methods and equipment used be this search unit. It kind of feels like this was a finishing up the original unfinished search more so than a search based on new evidence. If my understanding of the area searched is correct, they were searching an area that was in between the Bobo's Swan Johnson home and the Eaton Rd "Easter" evidence.
In my opinion from my reading of this event, LE was unable to search this area before due to terrain and vegetation restrictions after finding the "Easter" evidence, so they are simply covering all the bases of the original search, i.e. the possibility that Holly was taken from her home and traveled in the direction of the Eaton Rd. IMO for what we know, the other possibility, that Holly was taken in the direction of the Gooch Rd. evidence, I think that LE feel the area was searched fairly thoroughly during the first week after the disappearance.

IMO, if my understanding of the search area is correct, and that understanding comes from WS posts... I think that this search could be an indication that LE has no new leads or evidence in this case.

Sadly I think this indicates that Holly's Case has gone cold...but i'll be more that happy to have someone prove me wrong:fence:

Yeah sad but what are people supposed to post on? Honestly every possible thing has been beat to death in the last year...

I have seen people say the same thing, that we've discussed everything there is to say, in many cases...but there are cases that are decades old and have entire forums to talk about them. What's the difference between Holly's case and those cases? I'm sure there's a lot more information out there about Zodiac...Jack the Ripper...The Black Dahlia...etc but after 50+ years, you're basically talking in circles yet people do it.

I am sure this will spark a debate but there is nothing new to report and I think this is a worthwhile question.

Had Holly had a locator chip implanted would she be alive now (or should I say found since there is always a small hope she could be found alive) as well as hundreds of other missing children/persons?

I would have no problem losing a little privacy. It also would be such a useful tool in dementia seniors who wander off.

Ok...here we go!!:bigfight:

I am sure this will spark a debate but there is nothing new to report and I think this is a worthwhile question.

Had Holly had a locator chip implanted would she be alive now as well as hundreds of other missing children/persons?

I would have no problem losing a little privacy. It also would be such a useful tool in dementia seniors who wander off.

Several years ago, (I am 57 years old) I would have certainly scoffed at your suggestion, but now with all of the abductions and strange things going on, I think it may be a good idea to place some sort of device to locate people on each individual. But really think about this, we microchip our pets, so that if they get lost or stolen, we can locate and claim them. Have we become reduced to animal level? The recent cases, Holly Bobo, Samantha Koenig, Karen Swift, etc. seems to indicate that we have, which makes me very, very sad.

Had Holly had a locator chip implanted would she be alive now (or should I say found since there is always a small hope she could be found alive) as well as hundreds of other missing children/persons?

Chip GPS trackers aren't possible with current technology because of the battery limitations. They can't make a battery small enough to implant, and it has to be recharged...think of your cellphone battery.

The GPS trackers sold now for children or the elderly with dementia, or problems like that, are pretty much cellphone sized or fairly bulky wristwatches. They could be easily removed from the abducted (unless it's a watch type and the abductor doesn't realize it).

The implanted pet chips just identify the pet if it goes to a shelter or vet and is scanned, they don't track.

Chip GPS trackers aren't possible with current technology because of the battery limitations. They can't make a battery small enough to implant, and it has to be recharged...think of your cellphone battery.

The GPS trackers sold now for children or the elderly with dementia, or problems like that, are pretty much cellphone sized or fairly bulky wristwatches. They could be easily removed from the abducted (unless it's a watch type and the abductor doesn't realize it).

The implanted pet chips just identify the pet if it goes to a shelter or vet and is scanned, they don't track.

We went to the moon...surely there is a way it can be done. Maybe not in our lifetime but someday...

We went to the moon...surely there is a way it can be done. Maybe not in our lifetime but someday...
Oh yeah, it will definitely happen someday, although it may take quite a while. Just not possible now.

that missing person news site looks legit to me and i for one am happy to see someone brave enuff to post something. JMO

For what its worth i know of her from the Hailey Dunn case..she seems more about headlines and drama than fact.

JMO

I think this case was botched from minute one. Just my opinion and I don't want to hurt LE's feelings. But when you have someone go missing in such a rural area, and do not immediately set up appropriate road blocks, but then have hundreds of untrained strangers and townspeople come roaming around to search, then you have a mess. I don't disagree with LE using volunteers...this happens quite frequently, especially where there is a lot of ground to cover. But the time to act was immediately at the scene (LE was there quickly too, just minutes after Holly went towards the woods), to secure the surrounding areas and to set up check points along the way, especially at on ramps to interstates or larger access roadways.

It just seems obvious to me that this perp was someone who knew the area well. I'm praying its only a matter of time....

Yes, they do. Especially sheriff's depts. Our county has a high-tech crime scene van which they bring to other counties to help with major crimes all over this area. They also have a mounted patrol that helps in searches in other counties that don't have them.
It's always nice when different jurisdictions help each other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74