PA PA - Joey Offutt, 33, State College, July 2007

Joey Offutt is my sister. The family believes that she has been missing days before the fire started. The baby found in the fire was her newborn son. Her other children are being cared for by our family. We are all very worried for her and we fear the worst has happened. Unfortunately, the police are not sharing as much of their investigation with us as we would like. They are researching all avenues, but these things take time. We can only hope that Joey has that time. Any help that the public can give us would be greatly appreciated. We know that someone out there knows what happened that night, please come forward. Let us find closer for our family and her children.

I am so very sorry about the loss of your little nephew and the disappearance of your sister. I hope and pray she is found alive and well.

I have a couple of questions that keep bothering me. Maybe you could help me out?

If Joey's other two children were with family and Joey was possibly missing for days before the fire, why didn't anyone notice she was gone? No one even knew she was gone until the fire was reported, right? I keep thinking that if I left my two kids with my mom, she'd sure notice if I didn't show up to pick them up and bring them home! Did her other two children LIVE with family? Or was it Joey's normal style to leave the kids with family for days without anyone hearing from her, without her checking in on the kids?

My other question is in regards to the boyfriend. He sure sounds like somebody the investigation should diligently be looking into. Did he and Joey live together? I'm assuming he did not since the fire started at 4 in the morning, but if he did, what is his story for not being home at that time of the late night/early morning?

Thank you for all of your concern. The family has created a website www.joeyoffutt.com for any one that wishes to share any information they may have about her whereabouts or what may have happened to her. Hopefully no stone will be left unturned in trying to find her...

Has LE talked to the boyfriend or is he on the run? I haven't read any information about him at all that I can recall.

Saturday Nov. 15th at 9 p.m. on Fov TV

DUBOIS - The state police and the "America's Most Wanted" television show have partnered up to highlight the case of the year-long search for Joey Lynn Offutt in search of leads.
America's Most Wanted airs at 9 p.m. Saturday on Fox TV. The show highlights the search for Offutt. More information is also sought on the death of her infant child.
The investigation continues by members of Troop C of the state police into a structure fire about 4 a.m. July 12, 2007, at 90 Dr. Fugate Drive in Sykesville. The fire consumed a large portion of the residence and an investigation by the state police fire marshal unit concluded the fire was intentionally set.
Continued here:
http://www.thecourierexpress.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20197834&BRD=2758&PAG=461&dept_id=572984&rfi=6

Hi
I just found this case via another site that led me to AMW and then i came here and googled her name

I also do not understand how she could be missing days before the fire started ? when she had two other children besides the 6week old baby?

You know this is *sort of* like that episode on cold case not long ago (well screened here not long ago) where the womans child was burned in the fire (so they thought) and they arrested her for the murder but it was not her baby - someone had stolen her baby because they could not have a baby and out a already dead baby body in there and then set fire to it...

Not saying thats the case here !

But I didnt see anything about a BF on AMW ?

AMW says
"When police investigated further, they found that not only was Joey missing from her home after the fire, but that nobody had seen or heard from her for several days before the fire took place."

So where were the girls during that time she was not heard from or seen ? and if the girls were with her how did they come to not be at home when the fire consumed house and baby

Poor little baby boy may he RIP sweet Angel

:(

The Car ? was it fingerprinted and so on ? did they figure if she had driven it to that old place where she used to live ?
That is also odd ? why there ?
Is there anyway that after having the baby her mind snapped ? that can happen ? and perhaps she became confused even and so drove to her old place ?
Police located Joey's car four days later in State College, PA, parked at the Nittany Gardens apartment complex, where Joey had previously lived.

Why was it there ? of all places ?

Did they check that apartment ? that she previously lived in ?

Lots of questions....

Must be heartbreaking for the family in particularly for her two daughters who must miss their mummy so very much . I hope she is found soon for their sakes

I'm the nephew of Joey Lynn Offutt, and will try to answer some of the questions as best as I can. But keep in mind that the police investigating this case have not told us all that they know, which on one hand is understandable, but on the other hand, is incredibly frustrating to the family.

JaneInOz asked about where Joey's two daughters were during the fire. They each were with different family members for a pre-planned visit. This was not out of the ordinary.

JaneInOz also asked about Joey's car. We assume it was finger-printed, but the police have not told us what -- if anything at all -- they found in the car. We do not know if they were able to lift and identify prints or if they found any other kind of DNA evidence (blood, hair, fibers, etc.) they have not told us either way.

At first glance, it would be logical to assume that some accident happened with the baby and Joey's "mind snapped" as JaneInOz suggested, and perhaps became confused and drove to where she had previously lived. However, when the family saw the photo of her car as it was found in State College, we immediately knew that Joey did not drive that car. The car was backed in (something Joey never did) and was parked perfectly straight (Joey was notoriously known to be a bad driver). Perhaps the perpetrator dumped her car and in some bizarre coincidence just happened to be in the parking lot of an apartment complex where she used to live. Or, more likely, whoever did this knew she used to live there, and purposefully left the car there to make it look like Joey did this.

The family also learned new information -- from the AMW show, and not from the police -- about the partially-opened package of meat left on the kitchen counter. To us, this is more proof that someone else did this -- not Joey -- and that she is a victim.

Our family desperately seeks to find her -- to find out what happened to her and her infant son. We need this closure. We urge anyone with any information to contact the PA State Police or contact the family directly: http://www.findjoey.org

Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers.

Is there any new info regarding the ex? Also, was the seat moved in Joey's car? Sometimes that's the most obvious way of telling whether or not the owner was driving. If the drivers seat was moved back to accommadate a longer legged individual (a man) as opposed to a small woman. Plus it's something a possible kidnapper/murderer does not remember to "correct" once they leave the car.

Joey Offutt is my sister. The family believes that she has been missing days before the fire started. The baby found in the fire was her newborn son. Her other children are being cared for by our family. We are all very worried for her and we fear the worst has happened. Unfortunately, the police are not sharing as much of their investigation with us as we would like. They are researching all avenues, but these things take time. We can only hope that Joey has that time. Any help that the public can give us would be greatly appreciated. We know that someone out there knows what happened that night, please come forward. Let us find closer for our family and her children.

Okay I'm super confused as the NEPHEW who came on here of Joey's said

JaneInOz asked about where Joey's two daughters were during the fire. They each were with different family members for a pre-planned visit. This was not out of the ordinary.

But the Sister of Joey as above said

The family believes that she has been missing days before the fire started.

So the two girls they were at different family members for a pre planned sleep over for days ?

I mean if each daughter of Joeys was at a different family members for a day visit then it must have seemed odd she didnt phone or turn up to collect her child at each place
And if each child was there for a sleep over then it must have seemed odd that neither child was collected from the different family members

Was it normal for her to leave the children at different family members for a number of days split up like that ?

If not why wasnt the alarm raised after one day ?

Its sounding very odd ?

I hope its ok to post this but there is some impertinent info in this place http://boards.insessiontrials.com/showthread.php?threadid=304411

The nephew posted over there

As far as the night of the fire, the youngest daughter was with her father Alexis for the week because i guess it was his week with her, and the oldest daughter (which is not Alexis's) was with us here so they were safe and they are both still safe with us here.

But the family believes she was missing for days before the fire ? so where were the daughters BEFORE The fire ?

I'm sorry but this is very sus. Something is very odd, it was also spoken of that she wrote on her my space she was considering adoption for this new baby.

?

well Ive been doing some reading, this case is very sad, a baby dead, its mother missing and two little girls missing their mummy.
Murder ? Foul Play > Depression ? what has happened To Joey ?

Here are some articles that i came across

http://www.wjactv.com/news/14354350/detail.html

i wonder what the outcome was of this article http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_362233345.html

Apparently there were 3 women ( perhaps more) that went missing

Michelle Benjamin, 35 MSG since JUNE 22, 2007 St. Mary's, PA

Joey Lynn Ouffutt, 33 MSG since JULY 12, 2007 Jefferson County, PA

Christina Lynn Peters, 39 MSG since AUG 11, 2007 Nanty Glo, PA

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/archivesearch/local_story_365205657.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/o/offutt_joey.html

Reading the other board there was two nephews that posted by the seems of it one younger and one older.
It would appear that the theory is that someone knew Joey and set her up to make it look like she killed her baby and then went on the run.

My only questions in regard to this whole thing is to do with the two girls, and the family saying they believe Joey was missing for some days before the fire - why would they say that ? why didnt they go and check on her and the baby then ?

Jashrema - we have asked the police whether the seat was moved back in the car -- they will not tell us either way.

Jane -- As I stated before, the pre-planned visits were not out of the ordinary. The middle child was with her biological father for a pre-planned week-long visit. The oldest child was with her grandmother for a pre-planned week-long visit. This was a normal occurrence during summer months. There were times when the grandmother would get both girls for a week, and other times when she would just get the oldest daughter. During the visit, they would typically talk to Joey at least once a day by phone. For example, she may call before bed time to say good night. At first, when Joey could not be reached by phone, it was dismissed as perhaps, with a newborn and all, she was tired, and dozed off and missed the bedtime call. By day 2 or 3 (I can't recall which) the father of the middle child (who also happens to be the father of the newborn who died) called Joey's mother to see if she had heard from her. That's when they began to worry. Joey's mother lives 4+ hours away. The father of the youngest two children lives about an hour away. The next day he went to Joey's house and knocked on the door, but there was no answer. A day or so later, after still not hearing from Joey, he went to the police to file a missing persons report. The report was filed several hours after the start of the fire. The baby's father learned of the fire while at the police station filing the missing person report.

Joey didn't "leave her children" -- these were family visits that happened all the time. Our grandmother has a very close relationship with Joey's children, and got them for visits all the time. This happens in families all the time. It certainly happened to me growing too -- visiting different sets of grandparents during the summers were often the highlights of the summer!

The fire happened on July 12, 2007. The last time anyone heard or seen Joey was either July 5 or July 6.

Regarding Joey considering adoption. It is true, that early on in her pregnancy, Joey had considered adoption. But it must be said that she considered adoption only at the persistence of some in the family. She did not have long-term stable employment, she already had two children, and she was just barely getting by. Her relationship with the father was described as "on again / off again". So Joey did CONSIDER adoption among her options, but before the baby was born -- in fact several months before -- she declared her intention to keep the baby.

I do not think it's fair to consider the adoption thing as relevant in this case. Joey was being a good mother, and thinking about the best interest of her then unborn son and her other two daughters. She also looked into adoption at the insistence of some family members. So she looked into it, and decided it wasn't right for her.

Regarding these article: http://www.tribune-democrat.com/archivesearch/local_story_365205657.html and http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_362233345.html -- the woman found turned out not to be Joey. The police identified the woman who was from North Carolina. Her name was never publicly released, at the request of the woman's family.

Regarding the three women who went missing around the general time frame in the region. I believe (though I could be wrong) that one of the missing women was found in a different state, unharmed and had left on her own free will. I believe the other woman is still missing. As is, of course, my aunt, Joey Offutt. If the police believe the cases are related, they haven't hinted that to us.

I'll continue to answer your questions as best as I can. There are tons of theories of what could have happened... and as the family has wrestled with each theory, some theories could be plausible, but only up to a point, and then something else in the case contradicts the theory. Given what we know of the situation, and what we know of Joey, we believe someone else was involved in this. As to who it may be, we have no idea... and apparently, neither do the police.

findjoey...
Thanks for your responses. I understood completely about the visits and the older children being with other family members, especially since joey had a newborn. I can see that other family members might want to help out with the children while mom is focused on the newborn and trying to rest and get things back to normal. Managing three children is very hard. And living away from my family, my daughter took turns going for week-long visits to grandma's and her aunts during the summers.

I'm still very leery of the father of the middle child and the newborn. Of course, I know nothing about the case, but I sure hope they've completely secured an alibi for all his time that week prior to the fire.

findjoey thanks for bringing us up to speed with regards to the children.

From what i have read elsewhere the father of the youngest daughter and the baby that died, was/is/could be a suspect ?
Did he have a alibi besides the 2 year old ?

The police do not consider him a suspect. At least, if they do, they're not saying they do. They do, however, say that they have not ruled anyone out. I assume that means him as well. However, he has cooperated fully with the police investigation. He has voluntarily submitted DNA and has voluntarily been interviewed multiple times by police, including several polygraph examinations. He has done so without involving lawyers or seeking legal advice -- despite some people from his own family urging otherwise. He has said he has nothing to hide, because he had nothing to do with this. He has said the sooner he is cleared then the sooner the police can move on with their investigation.

At this point, at least that we are aware of (remember, the police have not fully shared their complete knowledge of this case with us) there is no evidence -- not even loosely circumstantial evidence that would indicate Joey's boyfriend/fiancee was at all involved.

I'm not saying he is or he isn't. At this point, anything is possible. But as of right now, as far as we know, there isn't anything that suggests that he is guilty of anything.

Fair Enough , I hope that she is found soon and some sort of answers can be found.
Surely her car must be holding some of the answers ?
Was it completely tested ?

As another poster pointed out the seat being back or forward could be a indicator of who was driving or not.

I just tuned in but Headline News is featuring Joey's case with Jane Velez Mitchell. I thought I would mention it here in case others wanted to watch. The focus is of crimes against women. So, it may not go into depth but it was featured.

Thanks CP did they say anything significant? FindJoey wish you peace and finding your aunt. Nothing we can say or do will ease the hurt but know that there are people out here that do care.

Jashrema - we have asked the police whether the seat was moved back in the car -- they will not tell us either way.
Thanks for your response.
See, now I don't understand this. Why in the world are they not sharing that kind of information?
It doesn't sound like the BF is involved. Especially if he didn't seek legal cousel, and has submitted to polys and DNA.

Well this is sure a puzzle isn't it? I wonder who would have set the house on fire? Whoever did it must have forced Joey to go with him/her/them and forced her to leave the baby behind. What a terrible thing.

I agree that Joey's thoughts about putting the baby up for adoption has nothing to do with her missing or this case. I would just like to say though that there is nothing wrong with a mother deciding to place her baby for adoption. Joey did the right thing by thinking it through and then deciding that it wasn't what she needed to do. I know that she was having a real hard time while she was pregnant and afterward. She was thinking of what would be best for the baby and that is a good thing. I would never look down on anyone who made that decision because I think that has to be the hardest decision a mother ever has to make.

Visits with relatives during the summer....my son used to spend nearly the whole summer with my parents. I was divorced and we felt he needed a male influence in his life. He loved staying with gramma and grandpa. Didn't want to come home when the time came! Of course they took him camping and fishing and all that good stuff. It was good for him. I still had three girls at home so it wasn't like I could live it up while he was gone..lol.

I wish that Joey would be found. At first I thought it was the baby's dad too but it sounds like he is clear. Was she having problems with anyone?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back