IL - Olamide Adeyooye, 21, Normal, 13 Oct 2005

not looking good...

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051029/NEWS01/510290356/1002

Donna Petrey of Elmhurst, a suburb of Chicago, whose daughter, Ashley, was close friends with Adeyooye, said she has no idea who is responsible for her death, "But I hope they can bring swift justice for the families."

Wallace knew Adeyooye, Petrey said. He would come around and try to join in with college students, she said. "They knew him, and they didn't like him. They thought he was a real creep," she said.

Fellow student Laura Braun said Wallace had been thrown out of a party at Adeyooye's apartment.

Brains & NoBull said:
ISU Student's Slaying Case May Expand to Georgia

In response to the police looking at Olamide's blog as evidence, Ashley now posts on her blog that myspace.com had nothing to do with Olamide's disappearance.

I would be curious as to how she knows enough of the evidence in the case to make such a claim.

Why is she so staunchly defending MySpace??? :waitasec:

ahhh.... and it wasn't even the sexual predator next door, as i had thought.

this just goes to show you that men you just think are "creepy and weird"... can be downright dangerous. so women should be careful around men they get a bad feeling from, even if they are tempted to just brush it off and forget about it. you can't ever be too careful.

so heartbreaking... that such a good-hearted, intelligent, promising young woman so full of drive and potential... poised to make a great contribution to society... has to die for NO REASON, and such a repulsive, depraved, subhuman waste of cells still lives.

The investigation into the murder of an Illinois State University student from the Chicago suburbs continued Saturday, with a Normal police official saying authorities may question a man being held in an Atlanta jail on fraud charges.

The man lived near Olamide Adeyooye, 21, who was last seen Oct. 13. Her badly burned body was found more than a week ago in central Mississippi.

Normal police Lt. Mark Kotte said the 27-year-old man will be returned to McLean County "within a week or so" on a warrant related to an identity theft case.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-murd30.html

thanks for the updates.

Brains..great timeline

The comments by Ashley disturb me about the myspace...wasn't she the one who said that it was a false blog..??

In the linked article by hndinglove, Ashley's mom asks what can be done to protect young woman..paraphrase....I wish she would speak to her daughter about posting so much info on these blogs!!!!

Thinking outloud...if last phonecall was made at the video store, could she have been abduted on way home, never getting there and the perp brought her back to his apartment..hurt her bad, stole keys..went to her place and set up the "missing" scenario with cell, video, food in micro and took her comforter and then her car.....

you are all so right about this comforter..not first reported, rhen laundry:confused:

also, fbi says that they have been working on the fraud case for months and months..yet he worked at mcdonalds at the school---no backgound checks for priors done?

sorry, that was so long.

i'm sure mcdonalds dosen't do background checks....but maybe they should start?

Some applications simply ask if you have been convicted of a felony...I'm sure he simply just lied and said no.

I am pretty sure this is the guy. He probably became obsessed with her and maybe they crossed paths that night while she was on the way back from the laundromat...he came on to her...she laughed/rebuffed him...and then he got angry and snapped..

i would like to know where her car is though and how it played into everything.

Service Planned for ISU Student

A memorial service for Olamide Adeyooye will be held Wednesday afternoon at Illinois State University. The service will be at 3 p.m. in the Center for Performing Arts Concert Hall and is for faculty, staff and students only. It may be viewed via streaming video at www.IllinoisState.edu/memorial.

Speakers will include ISU president, Al Bowman; Black Student Union president, Shemika Perkins; Bob Ryder of Campus Ministries; Nancy Evans, a student friend; and Abiodun Adeyooye, Olamide's father.

Cards may be left in baskets at the entrance of the concert hall or sent to the family in care of the President's Office, Campus Box 1000, Normal IL 61790. Memorials may be made to the Olamide Adeyooye Fund.

Man Crept Around ISU Housing: Friend

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
The 27-year-old man police may question in the murder of an Illinois State University student was known for "creeping around" the dorms and off-campus apartments where students lived, said a friend of the slain student Sunday.
[/font]

Ashley has posted on her blog about the man who was arrested in Atlanta.

I am curious as to how she knows this:

This is the man that killed my best friend. This is the man that let his own ego and his own jealous rage make his fists fly and took her life from before all of our eyes. Olamide was a strong woman who probably wouldn’t have given into his advances without a valiant fight. She would not touch a man like this with a ten foot pole.
I don't believe that the results of the second autopsy have been released yet and the first was inconclusive. Is she just speculating as to Olamide's cause of death or does she have additional information?

I really wonder why nobody mentioned this man to the police prior to his arrest in GA. It just seems odd that someone who caused these girls so much trouble and lived just doors down from Olamide was not on the radar screen as soon as she disappeared.

Slain ISU Student's Car Found in Atlanta

Friends of Adeyooye said the man in custody had made a practice of entering their apartments without knocking and had made inappropriate sexual comments to them.

"When the police asked if anybody had been acting suspiciously, he's the first person we mentioned," said Adeyooye's friend Ashley Petrey, also an ISU student.
Sounds like this guy was suspected early on. I don't understand how police feel that they can say that "nobody is preying on college students" when it is clear that this man was. There were danger signs all over the place with this guy.

Poor Olamide. :(

Friend: Victim Knew of Neighbour

Ashley Petrey, a longtime friend of Adeyooye, said she and Adeyooye had run-ins with Maurice L. Wallace, 27, who lived a few doors from Adeyooye in the 900 block of Market Street in Normal. "We were not friends (with Wallace), we were not acquaintances," Petrey said. "He was just some creepy guy that everyone knew and tried to stay away from."

Wallace was arrested on McLean County theft charges Oct. 20 in Atlanta, and he is awaiting extradition. Wallace has not been charged in Adeyooye's death, and police previously said only that they may question him in the case.

Police spent hours searching his apartment Oct. 26.

Petrey said she was not aware of any conflicts between Adeyooye and Wallace, but she said she and another of Adeyooye's friends had mentioned Wallace's name to investigators before his arrest.

Evidence Weighed in Mysterious Death

Wallace is a resident of Normal who lived about a block from Adeyooye's apartment, but investigators will still not confirm that he is even a suspect in the case. They'll only say he might be questioned when he is brought back to Illinois, but the car being found in Atlanta was the latest in a series of coincidences that appear to link him to the case.

Adeyooye disappeared on Oct. 13. On the 14th, police say Wallace stole $500 from his roommate. Those are the charges he was arrested for in Atlanta.

The fire that destroyed Adeyooye's body was on Oct. 17 in Lake, Miss. On Oct. 20, Wallace was arrested in Atlanta. Add to that, the victim's car was found there.

Those are enough clues to make Olamide's friends believe Wallace is responsible.

"And he was always a little weird and a little unstable," said Ashley Petry, Adeyooye's best friend, "and then he lived right next to her!"

How Much is Too Much?

Adeyooye, like many other college students, had a page on a Web site called MySpace. Her page is now being looked at as evidence in the case. MySpace allows people to post personal information and pictures of themselves to share with others in the network.

While most of these sites are designed to help you meet new people, they could also put you in a scary situation. Many students are sharing some very personal information in hopes of attracting those with similar interests, something that has become alarming to some at Illinois State University.
Adeyooye's MySpace blog has been taken off the Internet because people continued to post on her site even after her disappearance.
That last bit of the article was incorrect. Olamide's blog is still accessible.

Family, Friends Remember Slain ISU Student

Olamide Adeyooye was described as a person with a curious mind and adventurous heart. She was type that would light up the room with her personality and smile. Adeyooye was the first person Nancy Evans met when both were Illinois State freshmen. They went on to become roommates and best friends. "She became my family that I would come home to after class, say good night to, and wake up and say good morning to," said Nancy Evans, friend.

Hundred of students came to pay respects for the science major who many have never even met before.

"I came out of respect. I didn't know her well," said Vicky Maguire, ISU student.

"This is just something that's tragic and so close to home. Mostly I came out of respect," said Candis South, ISU student.

During the service, the president of ISU announced he be awarding Adeyooye's family with her bachelor of science degree, which will be included in the graduating class of December of 2005. He also announced a scholarship has been set up in her name.

Brains & NoBull said:
ISU Student's Slaying Case May Expand to Georgia

Here is something curious, the police were not the first to say that Olamide's comforter was missing. It was Ashley who posted on her blog that when she broke into Olamide's apartment, Olamide's comforter was missing. She explained both the comforter's and Olamide's disappearance by a late night laundry run to a "questionable" part of town.

Later that week, there was a report that the comforter had been found. That link is no longer active and now it sounds as though the comforter was found in the chicken house in Mississippi either beside or beneath Olamide.

In response to the police looking at Olamide's blog as evidence, Ashley now posts on her blog that myspace.com had nothing to do with Olamide's disappearance.

I would be curious as to how she knows enough of the evidence in the case to make such a claim.

Ashley is just a kid. She is probably just saying what she believes to be true.

From what I've read on here Ashley didn't say that the two girls got into a fight the night Ola went missing. Ashley went over to Ola's and Ola was in the shower. Ashley said that she yelled at Ola for not having the door locked when she was showering. That doesn't have to mean that they fought. It could mean that Ashley raised her voice at Ola because she was concerned for her safety. Anyone could walk through the door and the person in the shower with the water running wouldn't hear a thing. If I knocked on a girlfriends door and then found the door to be unlocked with her in the shower I would say something too. I would probably yell at her because with the water running that is the only way that she would be able to hear me.

One article said that the girls went into the apt and found Ola gone and another article said that the girls got the police to go to the apt with them when Ola didn't answer the door and hadn't answered her phone the night before. Taking the police over to the apt with them rather then break into the apt makes more sense to me.

It seems that much is being made of Ashley and what she has to say when in reality Ashley is just a kid going to college who has lost her good friend.

I really wish people who post on blogs would be more careful NOT to reveal their indentities or addresses. It not like a friend fixing you up with a blind date or meeting someone in a class or at work. I don't know whether human beings are more good or more evil , :eek: but you have to know more about them & you have to think the worst until you have reason to think better! That's the world today. Its Scary!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back