NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct. 2010 #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hickory police say they found a bone while searching in Caldwell County and that bone could be connected to the Zahra Baker case. The bone will be sent to the Medical Examiner’s office in Chapel Hill for further examination.
Hickory police reported the find after spending part of Wednesday draining a pond near Christie Road and searching the woods near that pond. Neighbors say the area smells, because hunters dump deer carcasses there.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/zahra-baker/Hickory-PD-draining-pond-in-Zahra-search-106620584.html

Dumb question, but a line search is when officers walk a grid? Is that right?

MK yes you are correct. The walk within so many feet of one another or they can walk linked arm and arm. They have a grid of a particular search area, and line walk that looking at every inch and blade of grass...etc. JMHO

Dumb question, but a line search is when officers walk a grid? Is that right?

Yes, I believe so. But shoulder to shoulder.

Here's a pic to give you an idea:

LSO%20-%20LINE%20SEARCH!!.jpg

Grrrrrr I hate dial up... can someone keep a watch on the jail bookings just in case?

Following the jail bookings and the PD arrests. Refreshing every thirty seconds or so.

Thanks Sherbie- I'm on dial up and twitter is going nuts with that news and I couldn't get a msm site to open fast enough.

Now I am afraid I am going to say something a bit disturbing-- if this bone happens to be from the leg that had the amputation identifiying that it is Zahra will be easier/faster than if it is just any bone.

Possible. Found near where prosthetic leg was found. Sigh.

I'm not going to get excited. Might be animal. Been thru that too many times.

I'm interested in what they say about this one bone (assuming these "rumors" are correct). It would have to be a pretty significant bone for them to jump from finding it to having a press conference. In other words, not a tiny finger bone or something...

OK how long would Zahra have had to be dead if all they find are bones? Any experts here? Also why would they say they believe it's her (at this point) when no tests have been run. They wouldn't speculate on the leg without the records so why are they now with this bone?

:waitasec:

How would Zahra's amputated leg bone be found here in the USA? Wasnt it amputated in AUS?

They don't let you keep those kind of things surely? JMHO

So bone is not even positively ID'd as human yet, state lab to determine if its human, do I have that right?

a bone? As in just one? I reeeeally dislike this :(

That doesn't necessarily mean she died in a gruesome way, as some scattering is normal, postmortem, in outside locations.

(Just to give people some hope that this child may not have suffered as much as the bone finding might suggest.)

bbm

very true...

What has the average temperature been locally?
Seems like we are pretty early in the "reported" time line to be finding purely skeletal remains. And if they only found one then the bones have been spread by the animals already.

I wonder how long this girl has really been gone.

this has to at least look like it is human for LEO to make a statement, after all I am sure they have found tons of animal bones during these searches.

How would Zahra's amputated leg bone be found here in the USA? Wasnt it amputated in AUS?

Not the amputated portion but the stump portion....

Kat,

I think the earlier post may have referred to the bone from the remaining stump left on Zahra's leg. If the stump section was found it would be easy to determine a previous amputation had been performed.

JMO

Lil

OK how long would Zahra have had to be dead if all they find are bones? Any experts here? Also why would they say they believe it's her (at this point) when no tests have been run. They wouldn't speculate on the leg without the records so why are they now with this bone?

Not very long - children take less time than adults. It depends on many factors, of course, wounds, animal activity, humidity and weather, etc - but it could be just weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd