SMU campus/Highland Park (Dallas) Man with gun up in huge crane

Ah, he's still there, dropping things out of the cab (tshirt, etc). Police are increasing the spotlights. SMU will be sending out tweets re: tomorrow's activities. Police are just going to wait him out.....even days.
Lightning has already started.
Dweeb..

When the drugs wear off he'll come out. :giggle:
He's lucky they haven't already shot him!

lol, he's getting restless...standing up, sitting down, standing back up, throwing what looks like empty cans out the door....

lol, he's getting restless...standing up, sitting down, standing back up, throwing what looks like empty cans out the door....

Oh great, I have a prediction. He is going to get restless, and then jump. And his family is going to sue the city and the police force for not getting him down sooner. :mad:

Oh great, I have a prediction. He is going to get restless, and then jump. And his family is going to sue the city and the police force for not getting him down sooner. :mad:

I say hit him with a tranquilizer dart.

I think it was last summer - it was, like, a 98 degree day - a guy climbed a television tower in Tulsa and stayed there for what seemed like ever, but it was really probably a day. Finally, TPD had their best negotiator (I think he had just retired but came back to get this fellow down) and raised him up in the bed of some sort of mammoth forklift. Man - it went back and forth and back and forth, the guy on the tower kept climbing from rung to rung, about slipping and falling at least once, and FINALLY the brave TPD guy coaxed him (with cold soda pop, ice, cold towels, etc. etc.) close enough to where he was, and was able to grab him and haul him aboard. Tense stuff, great work by the negotiator, who, after all, was way the heck up in the air on a platform with one side open, attempting to get a mentally disturbed guy off a tower.

IDk...the rain just came in BOOM, really heavy. He'll be down shortly.

I think it was last summer - it was, like, a 98 degree day - a guy climbed a television tower in Tulsa and stayed there for what seemed like ever, but it was really probably a day. Finally, TPD had their best negotiator (I think he had just retired but came back to get this fellow down) and raised him up in the bed of some sort of mammoth forklift. Man - it went back and forth and back and forth, the guy on the tower kept climbing from rung to rung, about slipping and falling at least once, and FINALLY the brave TPD guy coaxed him (with cold soda pop, ice, cold towels, etc. etc.) close enough to where he was, and was able to grab him and haul him aboard. Tense stuff, great work by the negotiator, who, after all, was way the heck up in the air on a platform with one side open, attempting to get a mentally disturbed guy off a tower.

one of the local reporters mentioned that case, said he was up on that tower for like 127 hours!

latest news

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Man-in-crane-causes-concern-on-SMU-campus-155087075.html

live feeds are now down become the storms here.

They are just going to leave him up there until he's hungry enough to come down or he jumps. They may even have a BBQ at the bottom of the crane tomorrow. If he fires a weapon, he's toast.

Tweets from Dallas local News stations are saying that he dangled by his hands out the window for a few seconds before falling to his death.

ETA: Suspect falls from SMU crane
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Man-in-crane-causes-concern-on-SMU-campus-155087075.html

SMU Standoff Ends After Man Falls From Crane
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/breaking/SWAT-Called-to-SMU-for-Man-on-a-Crane-155090435.html

wow, I was right. Here is what I posted at 8:30 tonight:

"Oh great, I have a prediction. He is going to get restless, and then jump. And his family is going to sue the city and the police force for not getting him down sooner. "

one of the local reporters mentioned that case, said he was up on that tower for like 127 hours!
I think that's right - he was up there long before I discovered him!

As for this case: R.I.P. Crazy Crane Guy. Your life decisions weren't the best.

I think that's right - he was up there long before I discovered him!

As for this case: R.I.P. Crazy Crane Guy. Your life decisions weren't the best.

After falling 150 feet it's more likely he'll rest in pieces.

Mother not surprised son died in crane standoff
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/mother-not-surprised-son-1448348.html

Thomas' mother told a local television station Tuesday that she wasn't surprised to learn of her son's death and that their family had a history of mental illness.

Ollie Mae Thomas told KTVT-TV of Fort Worth and Dallas on Tuesday that her son — and her family — had a history of mental illness. Lee Dell Thomas' grandfather committed suicide and his father was a paranoid schizophrenic, she said. She also said her son began using drugs at an early age.

She said Lee Dell Thomas sought treatment for his mental illness when he left prison, but quit taking the medication after two months.

"He said he didn't like the way the medication made him feel," Thomas said.

Crane man's mom: 'I had no idea it was my child up there'
http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Crane-mans-mom-I-had-no-idea-he-was-going-to--155478855.html

Thomas said her son was a tormented person. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He was off his medication and hooked on crack cocaine.

He also went to prison for shooting his girlfriend's mother in the face.

I know we have to laugh to keep from crying sometimes, and we steel ourselves after previous outrageous cases that have us disbelieving the crazy outcomes of some crimes and events. At the same time I am deeply saddened that this person's life was as tormented by mental illness as his mother describes. I am also saddened that his torment affected not only his life, but that of so many others. I wish we could learn something from this to help prevent such a tragedy even once in the future. Maybe I am being idealistic and naive, but I always think, there but for the grace of God go I.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back