Still Missing CA - Michaela Garecht, 9, Hayward, 19 Nov 1988 *ARREST*

Michaela's mom is FB friend of mine. I've not, however, met her in person. She states that she believes this is it. I still hold out hope that Michaela is alive, at least until there is proof, but there you have it. Not a good outcome but at least they'll have answers.

By Kristin J. Bender
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 10/10/2012 07:16:19 PM PDT
Updated: 10/10/2012 10:05:09 PM PDTHAYWARD -- Authorities are testing a bone fragment discovered in a Linden well to determine if it may be that of missing Hayward girl Michaela Garecht, who vanished in 1988.
The girl's mother, who was contacted by police Monday, said she believes the fragment is likely that of the girl based on information that was shared with her by police. Michaela was 9 when she was kidnapped outside a Hayward corner market on Nov. 19, 1988.
"As far as the bone itself goes, they told me it was (from) a girl between the ages of 5 and 13 and that (it coincided) with the time she went missing. There are not a lot of girls that it could be," Michaela's mother, Sharon Murch, said Wednesday. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/bre...ther-remains-from-linden-mass-grave-were-more

This case has always been near and dear to me for a whole lot of reasons. Seeing her picture on the news tonight and then hearing why brought tears to my eyes. May there finally be some peace.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/10/10/childs-remains-found-in-linden-well/
iMO
This article is fascinating as well as extremely disturbing, because it seems that the people who dug up the one girl's bones didn't even test for the other missing girls. They returned the bones to the mother who had the bones tested. She found out that there were 2 other victims co-mingled in tHe remains!!!! How awful for this mom (and the other moms) to realize that if she didn't go to the trouble of testing the remains on her own, they may never have found out there were 2 more victims. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
These cases have haunted the Bay Area for over 20 years, We still see these beautiful girls' pictures in store windows!

Saw Her Mom's FB page this morning. I have met Sharon and my heart aches for her everytime I hear there is a possible lead in the case.I can't even imagine the roller coaster ride of emotions she or the Siblings keep have to ride everytime.
I turly hope that one day they all will have peace. All though when they 1st released a skecth of Herzog way back. my gut told me Michaela was in Stockton somewhere,
Here is a the ABC link telling about the Testing being done.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=8843115

This poor mother, my heart breaks for her, she seems like in her heart she "knows" this is Michaela.

Here is another link: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/Bone-Fragment-Could-Be-Michaela-Garechts-173701931.html

If this is confirmed," she said, "I will be glad to know the truth, simply because it is the truth. And I feel an overwhelming desire to bring Michaela home. It breaks my heart to think of her little body lying in that godforsaken place for all these years, and if that is so, I want to gather her up and bring her home."

A few years ago after watching a tv show on the speed freak killers, i wondered and even posted on here that Herzog looked like the sketch of the kidnapper. Seeing Sharons FB page and reading what she said this morning just broke my heart. It was like a kick in the gut! If the family gets closure on this part of the case, i will be grateful that Mivhaela is finally brought home to Sharon. But my anger towards the Sherrif and his blatant disregard for the victims is at a boiling point! I hope that the Attorney General of California looks into his office. There has to be laws broken in this search......like desecration of a corpse! And what about the other bone fragments to the second un identified? Are other victims remains buried with Chevy Wheeler? This Sherrif should be horse whipped!

I agree, it's is uncalled for. These families of the missing in CA need closure. How would the sheriff feel if he had a missing child?

According to the Mercury news they think that maybe 4 more victims were mixed in with Joeann Hobsons remains. Now the Sheriff said there was only 3 bodies and a fetus in that well. Now here is the possibility of four more!

If the Sheriff cant be bothered by the victims and their families then turn it over to the FBI and let people that care take over.

Michaelas family has been through so much. all those years of searching and now a bone fragment is found and turns their lives upside down again. And if it is Michaela, they then get the task of trying to deal with a Sheriff that doesnt care, to try and get the rest of her little body back!

This also blows Herzogs "I didnt do anything it was all Wesley" statement out of the water. He was just as sick and I hope he is burning in hell as we speak!

Thank heavens JoAnn Hobson's mother decided to have her daughter's remains checked out. She knew something wasn't right. If not for her, three or four more victims would be forever lost. My heart grieves for all of these families!

IMO, Shermantine knew Herzog kidnapped Michaela. It will come out because he's already talking about writing a book and spilling everything in the year 2020.

:furious:

I don't even know what to say. So, what is it, they found their missing person so no need to identify the other bones??? I am floored at the moment.

so the sheriff wouldnt let Wesley out of Prison to point out the burial sites. He brings in a backhoe that destroys the bodies into thousands of bone fragments. He refuses to let other agencies in to search for missing persons. He refuses to let the FBI, who have experience in these matters excavate the area. He refuses to take Shermantine seriously even though the man has not been wrong yet on burial sites. And he is almost disgusted by the victims and their families.

Makes you almost wonder if he was involved in the killings?

Now I know he wasnt but what kind of a person reacts like this? Except for the actual blood on his hands, he has as much sympathy for these people as Shermantine and Herzog!

I have a real soft spot in my heart for Michaela, and over the years have grown to admire her mother and how she constantly tried to find her daughter. She is such a genuine person and puts her heart and her emotions out there for the whole world to see. This is such a sad ending in so many ways, and I hope that from here on out the victims and their families are respected, and treated with dignity.

These guys have hurt so many ppl...investigators would be fools to not look into all the sites. I guarantee so many more missing person cases will be solved!!!
As for it being Michaela, i have always hoped she would come home like Jaycee did. But i feel in my gut this is her. Maybe even Gayle Marks- I am positive she is a SFK victim.

I had many doubts as Herzog being the one who took her, but I think I still had high hopes of her coming home safe.
One thing I had always asked myself is what kind of a "skilled" criminal/abductor would take a child in broad daylight, in front of a witness? I think the answer now is someone who is on "Speed". It makes perfect sense now.

When they showed the pic of Herzog at the age between 18-22 on the news with the knowledge that he also was living in and how ironic now . As Sharon live in Castro Valley now where he did at the time of Michaela abduction .
I told a few here my gut was telling me Michaela was in one of the wells there.
I just prayed that the DNA comes in quicker so at least the family will know . I can't imagine what they are going through right now .
And God bless the Hobson's for doing what they did .

One thing that will be a postive out of this, is that Michaela is so loved all around the world. People care about her and her case. If she is the one found in that well, I think the pressure will be too great for the authorities to Not investigate all of the burial sites. Its sad that they thought the victims were thrown aways, and probable drug addicts so it wasnt a high priority. But if Michaela is truly a victim, the other victims I believe will be found, and hopefully people will be outraged enough to make some tough laws for violent offenders of children.

God Bless Sharon Murch and Mark Klaas for what they have done.

When they showed the pic of Herzog at the age between 18-22 on the news with the knowledge that he also was living in and how ironic now . As Sharon live in Castro Valley now where he did at the time of Michaela abduction .
I told a few here my gut was telling me Michaela was in one of the wells there.
I just prayed that the DNA comes in quicker so at least the family will know . I can't imagine what they are going through right now .
And God bless the Hobson's for doing what they did .

Your instinct is far superior to mine. I was way off in left field. :(

I do have one question that perhaps someone can answer for me. Wasn't Michaela's kidnapper's sketch also a sketch used in the Johnny Gosch case? I believe the name given was Tony? I'm not that familiar with his case and if it ties to Michaela at all. Does anyone know?

Your instinct is far superior to mine. I was way off in left field. :(

I do have one question that perhaps someone can answer for me. Wasn't Michaela's kidnapper's sketch also a sketch used in the Johnny Gosch case? I believe the name given was Tony? I'm not that familiar with his case and if it ties to Michaela at all. Does anyone know?
Search the WS archives, I seem to recall a thread on it...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back