Vehicles owned or used by Garrido

Hey all! Wanted to bring this abduction here also as the car description is very close as found by our fellow websleuther Earthling

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1863dfca.html

Please remember that this is 1997 and the suspect vehicle is a 1976-1978 light blue Ford Granada. How many of those are still around after 20 years?!

Hey all! Wanted to bring this abduction here also as the car description is very close as found by our fellow websleuther Earthling

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1863dfca.html

Please remember that this is 1997 and the suspect vehicle is a 1976-1978 light blue Ford Granada. How many of those are still around after 20 years?!

My comments in red:

•Approximate Age: 60-70 years old (PG was 46 at the time.)
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light gray/sandy/blond and balding hair; green or gray eyes. (PG has blue eyes.) He was short with a small build (PG is approx.6'4" tall.); he had a large nose that had likely been broken in the past, and he wore "prescription-type" eyeglasses.
•Clothing: He was wearing a light blue, long sleeved, button-up, collared shirt.

I can see an eye witness possibly being incorrect about age or eye color but there is a big difference between being short and 6'4" tall.

There can't have been many 20-year old Granadas left in 1997, although California cars don't rust... but this isn't a Ford Granada from what I can see. Although Jaycee's reports listed the car as a possible 1980 model, the car shown appears to be to me a Ford LTD from 1983 approximately.

33auz3r.jpg

Left: 1978 Granada; right: 1983 LTD

It's similar enough for this to be the car that Carl Probyn reported - but I'd be surprised if another witness also misidentified it.

As stated above, Garrido is 20 years younger and possibly a foot taller than the suspect described.

As for Garecht - who knows if Garrido is the right guy? If he had long hair, a child witness in the 1980s might assume that the person was much younger because the only men they'd know with long hair might have been younger. It seems unlikely that he had notably bad skin at the time though. It certainly seems as though Garecht's friend saw the abduction itself and didn't just identify a POI at the scene but is this confirmed?

Garrido's car is almost certainly a 1983 as the license plate (1LPR664) would have been issued before 1984 and California plates are issued sequentially. The 1982 bodystyle was different, I believe. The plate could be false as it implies the car has never been re-registered as the 2ABC123 format came in from 1984. Does anyone know if a Ca. plate automatically changes when the car is sold within the state?

In any event, I doubt very much that Garrido was driving this car in November 1988 unless it was his mother's. He was only a couple of months out of jail, probably with little cash and no credit, and this was quite a recent car (<6 years old). That doesn't hurt the case against him though: the abduction car would not have fit the description of an "older model American sedan"... the Ford LTD was a new design in 1983 and quite modern looking. Would you consider a 2003 Mazda6 an "older model" today?

What I know is this. The witness who saw Michaela kidnapped was 9 at the time and scared. They did say it had front end damage. Also Car colors do fade in time. I will lay 10 to 1 that this car was hiddesn right after Jaycee was kidnapped. Becuase her step father saw it.

What's interesting about this at the time, if the car was just left there after the kidnapping, and maybe I'm just seeing everything in hindsight, but if a car matching a description of a kidnapping goes unregistered or suddenly has an 'in-op' registration filed, that would be a flag for the investigators. I would think they'd be checking with the dmv on a car like this that would stand out. Does anyone see what I'm saying? Maybe he just continued to register the car but I doubt it. Would love to see the last registration on that car.

There can't have been many 20-year old Granadas left in 1997, although California cars don't rust... but this isn't a Ford Granada from what I can see. Although Jaycee's reports listed the car as a possible 1980 model, the car shown appears to be to me a Ford LTD from 1983 approximately.

33auz3r.jpg

Left: 1978 Granada; right: 1983 LTD

It's similar enough for this to be the car that Carl Probyn reported - but I'd be surprised if another witness also misidentified it.

As stated above, Garrido is 20 years younger and possibly a foot taller than the suspect described.

As for Garecht - who knows if Garrido is the right guy? If he had long hair, a child witness in the 1980s might assume that the person was much younger because the only men they'd know with long hair might have been younger. It seems unlikely that he had notably bad skin at the time though. It certainly seems as though Garecht's friend saw the abduction itself and didn't just identify a POI at the scene but is this confirmed?

Garrido's car is almost certainly a 1983 as the license plate (1LPR664) would have been issued before 1984 and California plates are issued sequentially. The 1982 bodystyle was different, I believe. The plate could be false as it implies the car has never been re-registered as the 2ABC123 format came in from 1984. Does anyone know if a Ca. plate automatically changes when the car is sold within the state?

In any event, I doubt very much that Garrido was driving this car in November 1988 unless it was his mother's. He was only a couple of months out of jail, probably with little cash and no credit, and this was quite a recent car (<6 years old). That doesn't hurt the case against him though: the abduction car would not have fit the description of an "older model American sedan"... the Ford LTD was a new design in 1983 and quite modern looking. Would you consider a 2003 Mazda6 an "older model" today?

Plates stay with the vehicle in California, unless someone has a personalized plate. The blue plate like this car has, along with the plate number, would make sense for an early 80's vehicle. I am guessing it's the plate that has always been with the vehicle.

What's interesting about this at the time, if the car was just left there after the kidnapping, and maybe I'm just seeing everything in hindsight, but if a car matching a description of a kidnapping goes unregistered or suddenly has an 'in-op' registration filed, that would be a flag for the investigators. I would think they'd be checking with the dmv on a car like this that would stand out. Does anyone see what I'm saying? Maybe he just continued to register the car but I doubt it. Would love to see the last registration on that car.

There are sites where you can get all info on a plate. If I had the money I would do it

No one seems to have followed up on anything on this case. Plates included. No one seems to have done much at all. Unfortunately. I hope that Jaycee's family sues and sues and sues again!

MOO

What I know is this. The witness who saw Michaela kidnapped was 9 at the time and scared. They did say it had front end damage. Also Car colors do fade in time. I will lay 10 to 1 that this car was hiddesn right after Jaycee was kidnapped. Becuase her step father saw it.
I don't think it would fade to the color of the car taken from the compound in the few years between the abductions. There's also a big difference between the car colors that were reported in the two cases...not minor differences but pretty big ones. We're wanting to pin anything and everything on this guy with the best of intentions, but right now there aren't any known facts that definitely point to this guy for any other abduction and murder cases.

There are sites where you can get all info on a plate. If I had the money I would do it

I don't know how easy it is now but if you call pretending to be the owner, they would confirm to you the last registration and/or if it's at all still registered. You have to call the dmv in Sacramento. I did it once on a car I had sold.

Folks,

The Garecht case says the car was "cream, gold or tan" that was used in the abduction. Garrido's car is gray.

The Dugard case said the car used to kidnap Jaycee was gray on gray, witnessed by her stepfather.

Why not go with what we know about the cases and not turn gold into gray.

The thing is, witness recollections are notoriously faulty when it comes to things like color, patterns, etc. Gray is very close to tan or cream or even gold. All basically light colored cars.

In the Garecht case, the witness describes the abductor very distinctly with long blond hair, pock marked face and a thin build.

The same young witness describes the car as cream, gold or tan in color. She even notices previous bumper damage and mud or cement stains as well.

I trust this young witness and her decriptions at face value...and I will also trust she can distinguish between light and dark shades given her excellent recall as noted above.

Logic suggests if she is confused about the color, then the physical description comes into question also and then where are we.

Garecht case was before the Dugard case and I am sure LE has checked if Garrido may have painted his gray Ford Granada from a previous color.

Not necessarily. People tend to remember details of about other people better than they do details about things. But, people can and have made mistakes about physical descriptions of people as well. Unfortunately, fear, trauma and surprise can skew one's memory. But not for everyone. Some are so dead on in their recollections it's almost uncanny. Like the little girl who remembered so much detail in the Samantha Runnion case. For now, garrido remains a possibility for me in numerous cases. He has proven to be capable of the most heinous crimes. He is a scary, deadly abomination.

Not necessarily. People tend to remember details of about other people better than they do details about things. But, people can and have made mistakes about physical descriptions of people as well. Unfortunately, fear, trauma and surprise can skew one's memory. But not for everyone. Some are so dead on in their recollections it's almost uncanny. Like the little girl who remembered so much detail in the Samantha Runnion case. For now, garrido remains a possibility for me in numerous cases. He has proven to be capable of the most heinous crimes. He is a scary, deadly abomination.

I'm not at all familiar with the other case, whether the car was seen at night or during the day. At night, I could completely understand mixing up the colors. Look at what happened to that girl in Florida who was kidnapped in a green camaro and the woman calling in to 911 described a different color. It's possible. I mean, I don't want to see the wrong guy hang, but since the police, parole board, investigators, everyone involved, seemed to drop the ball, they better start back peddling and investigate any possible ties and better do it fast.

Don't forget that there is one more. The one he used to transport them all to the parole office. We have heard nothing about that vehicle - or even if there was one - did they take the bus? I'm sure LE has that one in impound too.

I am fairly certain that the vehicle used to get them all to the Concord Police Department was a red (or reddish) Volkswagen (possibly a van). I don't think we have seen it at all.

I would think that most towns would have a law or statute on the books regarding how many UNREGISTERED vehicles you can have on your property.

I think we can safely assume that all of the junked cars, vans, whatever, that the Garridos had on their property were NOT all registered.

In addition, it is obvious from the fire dept visits that these vehicles presented a safety issue!!!

I am wondering whether any fines were ever levied for having these junked cars on the property.

The property was in an unincorporated section of town, so there likely wasn't much in the way of civic rules.

California DMV allows you to have a vehicle stored and not operated on your property. You just file a nonoperated vehicle notice with the DMV. Since the vehicles were not in view of the public, I'm guessing that's why the city didn't bother with him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back