GUILTY PA - Debra Liberman for child abuse, Pittsburgh, 2004

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A woman was charged with beating her 7-year-old adopted daughter with a dog chain and keys, burning her wrists on a stove, dousing her naked body with bleach, then locking the girl inside a closet in a coal cellar with a burning furnace filter, police said.

The girl was apparently not injured by the fire, police said. She was in stable condition at Children's Hospital Tuesday night.

Debra Liberman, 50, was arraigned earlier in the day on charges including assault with a deadly weapon, attempted homicide, and arson with threat of death.

Police said they were called to Liberman's home at about 7:30 a.m. Tuesday ET after a neighbor reported screams coming from the residence. Police found Liberman's unharmed 4-year-old son

Story from CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/02/11/child.cellar.ap/index.html

This has been all over our local news, and it is just so horrid ! I am about 50 mins from Pittsburgh.

I swear, if people don't like kids or have some inner problem WHY DO THEY KEEP ADOPTING AND TAKING IN FOSTER CHILDREN?? This kind of thing makes me mad. We're supposed to protect the helpless things ( kids animals and elderly) and then you hear this kind of stuff. This is why I am a misanthrope.
Now whats going to happen with this girl, she was already given up, now she has been horrendously abused, lord knows if she will ever get over this. There is nothing a 7 yr old could possibly do to provoke anything like this, which the "parent" will probably try to use as a defense.

sansoucie said:
This is why I am a misanthrope.
I'm with you there. But, man, it's pretty hard trying to teach your kids to be honest and do the right thing, and at the same time telling them "Trust no one." One of the hardest lessons my daughter learned was that just because she tells the truth, it doesn't mean the rest of the world will.

Thank goodness the neighbor got involved. So many people don't.

AND just because you tell the truth doesn't mean anyone is listening, cares, or will act on it. Telling the truth will get you in more trouble sometimes. Hard lessons to learn. Trust no one is my philosophy. Trust isn't given automayically, it is something that has to be earned. "trustworthy until proven otherwise" is a foolish mindset.

By David Conti, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 2, 2006

Haley Liberman still loves her adoptive mother, the woman who poured bleach down the little girl's back, beat her with a dog chain and locked her in a coal cellar.

That just makes the torture Debra Liberman inflicted on the child, and the mother's lack of remorse, all the more heinous, an Allegheny County judge said Wednesday.

"Haley's love for you was so strong, and yours so weak," Common Pleas Judge Donna Jo McDaniel told Liberman before sending the Carrick woman to prison for what could be the rest of her life. "Nothing in this case leads me to believe you're a candidate for rehabilitation."

Liberman, 52, was sentenced to 25 to 70 years in prison for the February 2004 attack on the girl, now 9 and living with her adoptive father in Virginia.

snip

A jury in October rejected Liberman's defense that she had attacked Haley while suffering from a drug-induced psychosis brought on by a mixture of allergy medications and depression. The jury acquitted her of attempted murder, but convicted her of aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, arson, unlawful restraint and endangering the welfare of a child.

BBM - More at link:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_419670.html

Debra Ann Liberman

Projected Release Date: Unknown

What a sad story! I'm SO glad the neighbor called the police when they heard screaming. So many people don't.

Justice for Haley!

What is bothering me about this case is that I can't find her. Her court docket says she is assigned to Cambridge Springs, but she isn't there. She not in the PA DOC system at all. However, it looks like all of her appeals were mostly denied. One appeal did change her sentence to reflect her time served, but the rest of the sentence was affirmed. I'm wondering if she is in some kind of psychiatric placement at this time. I find no evidence that her conviction was overturned, so she has to be somewhere. Unless she is moved out-of-state for housing and PA doesn't show that in their records. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

This has been all over our local news, and it is just so horrid ! I am about 50 mins from Pittsburgh.

you can't remove the battery from many phones. (mine, for example!)

a thought: you can go online and send a text to any number, and fill in whatever number you might wish to appear as the "from" number....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I swear, if people don't like kids or have some inner problem WHY DO THEY KEEP ADOPTING AND TAKING IN FOSTER CHILDREN?? This kind of thing makes me mad. We're supposed to protect the helpless things ( kids animals and elderly) and then you hear this kind of stuff. This is why I am a misanthrope.
Now whats going to happen with this girl, she was already given up, now she has been horrendously abused, lord knows if she will ever get over this. There is nothing a 7 yr old could possibly do to provoke anything like this, which the "parent" will probably try to use as a defense.

Money! They receive taking on foster kids or another dependent for taxes.jmo

New to the community. Stumbled across this searching the Internet for Debra Liberman. This may not be seen since the thread is so old. Debra died in 2010 in prison. The news article about her death is incorrect. That’s not what happened. I was there :(
This has been gnawing at me for years. I was hoping to find her family and let them know what really happened. Despite her awful crimes I think they deserve to know.

New to the community. Stumbled across this searching the Internet for Debra Liberman. This may not be seen since the thread is so old. Debra died in 2010 in prison. The news article about her death is incorrect. That’s not what happened. I was there :(
This has been gnawing at me for years. I was hoping to find her family and let them know what really happened. Despite her awful crimes I think they deserve to know.

Hi there. Was looking up my grandma and saw how recent your comment was. I’m family, I’m her daughter’s daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back