NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
gatetrekker44 said:
CyberLaw seems to be an absolute whiz at it! This forum has gone from trying to come up with possible scenarios related to Maura's disappearance to insinuating that she may have been involved in a "hit and run" that has NEVER been proven to be a hit and run at all(been drinking, money gone from wallet, injuries consistent with a beating, HMMMM).
gatetrekker44 said:
Unless CyberLaw has firsthand knowledge that conclusively proves that this was a hit and run committed.

Can you please point out from my posts below where I EVER stated or suggested any evidence supporting the "myth" that Maura was involved in the student hit and run. I see the posts from Timex, and Hydemi, but none from me, so please do share........and please Quote my post.

From the Previous thread I clearly dispelled that "myth" through fact and logic.

Thank you for the compliment, it is the first time someone has called me a "whiz" usually I get " smart", "intelligent" so I guess "whiz" is similar. My "typical" response is "really I am not that smart" it just seems that way.

Can anyone please provide anything that is in print that even mentions that Maura was crying at 1:00 a.m.

Or anything that even alludes to a 1:00 p.m. call or that Maura was upset at 1:00 a.m. I would like to verify this information.

I am not talking about someone, who knows the family writing about it, I am talking about a unbiased informative newspaper article or information published by "LE or Investigators."

For the last year, I have yet to read anything about a 1:00 a.m. call.

Could this person be posting this information to try and "mislead" people that is WAS NOT the 10:00 pm call got Maura upset, but some other mysterious call at 1:00 a.m.

The Daily Colllegian - September 9, 2004

It was just a regular phone call. It made no difference to me. It was just Maura calling me, that was that. I told her about my day and quarreling with my fiance Murray said. "I don't know what I could have done to upset her..".

"Seriously, I think she just wanted to get out of work"

New Hampshire State Police Lt. John Scarinza is one of the lead investigators on the Murray case. He disputes Kathleen Murray's statement about her sister trying to leave work early.

"It wasn't a case where she called the supervisor and said, 'Listen, I've had a bad phone call...' The supervisor on her own initiative said, 'Why don't you take the rest of the night off? I'll walk you to your dorm.' So clearly she was upset" Scarinza told WCVB-TV.

From the Patriot Ledger: 03/03/2004

Police investigating the disappearance of Hanson native Maura Murray have discovered that the disturbing phone conversation Murray had four days before leaving the University of Massachusetts at Amherst was with her sister.

According to her family, Murray called her sister, Kathleen Murray of Hanover, at about 10 p.m. Feb. 5, four days before she packed her belongings and headed north to New Hampshire.

But what was said should not have upset the 21-year-old, Kathleen Murray said.

‘‘We didn't really talk about much. I had been fighting with my fiancé, and we talked about that, but I don't know why she would be upset about that,'' Kathleen said.

Kathleen Murray said she talked to her sister regularly to chat. Like all of their phone conversations, the one on Feb. 5 was about ‘‘regular stuff, ‘just-trying-to-get-through-the-day' kinds of things,'' she said.

‘‘When I heard she was crying after that, I couldn't understand why, especially because it's not like her to cry,'' she said.

Source: http://www.google.com/u/umassamherstonline?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=REsidence+Hall+Security

You see I went to the Web site of UMASS and it states:

Residence Hall Security personnel, staff the lobbies from 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM on weekdays and from 8:00 PM to 3:00 AM on weekends. ...

So can someone please tell me how Maura was at a Residence Hall (Reception) Security desk at 1:00 a.m. to receive this "mysterious phone call."

It would make sense that she started work at 8:00 p.m., called her sister at 10:00 p.m. was upset at 10:20, then The supervisor on her own initiative said, 'Why don't you take the rest of the night off?.

So she did leave early at 10:20 taking the rest of the night off instead of completing her shift and leaving at 12:00.

The job pays 7.25 cents an hour.

The only student security positions are Residence Hall Security.

Cyberlaw 2/10 - You would think that she would have said: I spoke to her around 10:00, she was calling from her cell and she seemed fine. Nothing. Nada. Kept quiet.

Where you at the police station? Do you know that Kathleen did not tell them she spoke with Maura at 10:00? Without having been there or having first hand reports, this would seem to be an unsupportable speculation. From what I can determine the call was at 10:00 and Maura was upset at 1:00. It would seem to me that if I spoke with someone at 10:00 and police were asking me about a call at 1:00, I would be as confused as I have been with the posts here.

Cyberlaw 2/10 - The "nothing" phone converation at 1:00 a.m. is the phone call that brought her to tears and left her " distraught."

Cyberlaw 2/10 - Why would there be a three hour gap and then she became distraught hours after a call if she did talk to her sister as you claim on her cell at 10:00 p.m.

Cyberlaw 2/11 - I don't know where Grassyknoll came up with the 1:00 a.m. situation.

From all reports it was the 10:00 p.m. call that Maura became distraught over.

Cyberlaw 2/11 - Again, you don't get a phone call at 10:00 p.m. and then wait over three hours to become "extremely distraught." It happens at the time of the call, so I have to question the 1:00 a.m. timeline.

Cyberlaw - 2/9 - Lt. John Scarinza released the following synopsis of the Maura Murray Missing Person Investigation conducted by his department:

Synopsis: A sketchy summary of the main points of an argument or theory.

Please clarify is this Lt. Scarinza's synopsis or your synopsis?

If my memory serves me correctly (and I will look for some articles) Brianna Maitland's family was very upset because they were treating her case as a runaway, and yet if one reads the above-mentioned report on both Brianna and Maura, there is a stark difference in the level of investigation.

Cyberlaw,

On your 2-8-2005 post you state:

She received the call at her campus security desk, not on a cell or otherwise.

On your 2-10-2005 post you state:

I was under the impression that she called not from her cell, but from the campus security phone and was "extremely distraught" right after the conclusion of the 1:00 a.m. phone call.

Which is it? On the 8th you state a fact yet on the 10th you are only under the impression. I am eager to find out how you know this information.

Oh I see the debate is still going strong w/ our buddy cyberlaw. :snooty:

Well, regardless, positive thoughts for Maura and her family during the recent 1 yr anniversary of her disappearance. :(

Caledonian Record 6/16/04
The passing of seven days has resulted in a huge turnaround in the way Vermont State Police are treating the disappearance of Brianna Maitland.

……….

VSP had originally said Maitland was a runaway and had run away in the past. During a press conference June 8, they said they were tired of wasting time tracking down worthless leads.

They said Maitland had made some bad life choices which may have led to her disappearance.

It seems to me that this family may have it's problems but that Maura also has strong ties to her family. I know enough to say that there has been divorce, alcohol, drugs, denial of problems, and so on. (I am talking family wide-not just Maura and what family doesn't have issues like those these days?) I also wonder at times if everyone is being forthcoming only because they don't want to be smeared about something that may have nothing to do with Maura. (Like admitting adictions, problems and so on) I just think family members need to sit down with police again and tell all in hopes of stumbling onto a new clue. I also know that Maura was realitivly grounded and had goals and a need to achieve them. This is what kept her going. Her aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. were so important to Maura. It is hard to believe she would have just left them aside from problems that others in her family may have had. I do wonder about her relationship with her mother but if you notice, she was/is probably much closer to her father. All of those relationships, if studied more carefully maybe could lead to answers, I believe.

I made the mistake of "basing my argument" on the "phantom" 1:00 a.m. timeline."

That was unsubstantiated "information" posted by Grassyknoll. I made the mistake of "assuming" that this was a fact.

That was before I did some futher "inquiry" on my own and found out that this is impossible.

Please anyone, provide me with a LE statement or newspaper article that supports the 1:00 a.m. timeline and that Maura was upset at the security desk at that time.

Her full shift was from 8:00 - 12:00.

Maura talked to her sister from 10:00 - 10:20.

So now we have Maura hanging up from her sister. She is "very distraught". Her Supervior notices how upset she is and lets her off early and walks her back to her dorm room. Maura and her Supervisor walk back to the dorm. She did not finish her shift which would have ended at 12:00. If there is anything about that you don't understand, please ask.

Even if she did finish her full shift, she would not have been at the Security desk at 1:00 a.m.

So I ask again, where did the 1:00 a.m. timeline come from.?????????

Granted someone might have seen her at 1:00 and told investigators that Maura was upset, but it was not at the Security desk. Who knows if this was in additon to the "distraught call from 10:00, the lingering and additional result of it or from another additional stressor in addition to the call from 10:00.

I am confused as to why ANYONE is even considering anything to do with 1:00 a.m.

I should have discounted any information that is not supported by fact. I see no factual information regarding any "phantom" call at 1:00.

Especially when Maura was not even at the Security desk at that time and was not even working.

From the post regarding ARD and RD and my reply regarding ARD and RD, I should have known better.

Upon further investigation, UMASS Police can determine if any incoming calls came in through the desk. After all this would be the logical place to start. They can ask the Supervisor "what time was Maura upset and what time did you two leave".

UMASS could determine from that timeline of any and all incoming calls, trace and investigate same. From my experience outgoing calls would not be possible from a Security desk.

Security does not want a student to tie up a line by chatting and making outgoing calls when other "tuition" paying students may need security help.

Incoming calls would be rather brief, usually logged and with the proper escalation warranted if necessary.

There would be a two way radio to the roving campus police.

LE did determine that the call that upset Maura to the "point of breaking down and crying and becoming distraught" was from her sister.

Silver:
You see I was not "privy' to any information regarding the cell phone call at 10:00 p.m. on 2/8, not until 2/10 did Grassyknoll post the call was from cell phone.

Since Maura was working at the security desk, without any information to the contrary I assumed correctly, that it was at the security desk. I am still not comfortable that it was a cell phone call(I have not seen any verification of that)but regardless, she talked to her sister and was upset. It is irrelevant if it was on a landline or cell, if she called her sister or if her sister called her.

When the Police received the Cell Phone records that is when they made the determination that the timeline of the call to/from Maura to Kathleen fit the timline of "Maura becoming upset."

They found out prior to this that Maura talked to one of her two sisters that night.

Maura must have mentioned that she talked to "her sister" when prompted about who she had talked to that made her so distraught and upset.

Julie is in the Service, so it would make sense that people in the service can't just chat to family anytime they want or make or receive calls anytime of the day or night.

Cyberlaw - 2/9 - Lt. John Scarinza released the following synopsis of the Maura Murray Missing Person Investigation conducted by his department:

Please clarify is this Lt. Scarinza's synopsis or your synopsis?

Are we back to that again, please follow the link and you will plainly see that it is the synopsis of Lt. Scarinza's of the N.H. Police. Please note Grassyknoll what Country I live in. Enough said.

Gatetrekker, please note the Country also. I will not entertain any more inquiries if I have any connection or had any connection to LE in any way, shape or form in North America. I did not and I do not. Please........

If my memory serves me correctly (and I will look for some articles) Brianna Maitland's family was very upset because they were treating her case as a runaway, and yet if one reads the above-mentioned report on both Brianna and Maura, there is a stark difference in the level of investigation.

You are correct. But the circumstances in the two cases is like night and day. Take out a piece of paper and make two columns and do your own work and lists the facts. Upon further investigation, LE determined that Brianna "hung out with a druggie crowd, illegal drugs, assultive parties, crack, guns, etc.

As you can see they have enough evidence to obtain search warrants and sopoenas. Again the one difference is that Brianna did not make plans to leave and had "undesirable friends who do not abide by the law".

She was assulted at a party the week before she went missing. Unfortunately, the outcome for Brianna in my opinion is "very grave". Brianna was a child also, 17 years old.

I do hope, by the Grace of God I am wrong about Brianna, but unfortunately I don't think so and neither does LE.

I really feel for her parents big time.

But did you see from the Press Release from the VSP that Brianna has an incident/violation and case number. Can you also see that LE has obtained "criminal" search warrants. Hello.......this is a criminal case with "probable" cause to obtain search warrants."

Not so with Maura nothing so far criminal about it. No crime in "planning, with premediation and forethought to "runaway" and then do so, especially as an adult. Maura is 21 years old. Nothing criminal about it.

it is the same as giving someone with a sprained ankle the same medical attention as someone who is having a heart attack.

The person with the sprained ankle wants and demands the same attention as the heart attack patient. Like apples and oranges.

The Bus driver was ruled out as a "suspect" a long time ago. Long time ago. Remember Maura was seen running away from the scene 4-5 miles away and hour later.

He was never considered a "suspect" because my question would be a suspect in what. The bus driver did not cause Maura to go missing and was seen with her by other people in the area prior to him calling the Police. These people saw it was Butch and knew that Maura was in good hands.

Fred Murray still to this day can't let it go that the bus driver had "something to do" with his daughter going missing.

If I was the bus driver, i would have called a lawyer a long time ago and the defendent in my civil suit would not have been LE.

He knew she lied and was proactive in obtaining help for her after the accident, even through she refused. I would have done the same. Fred Murray owes this guy a HUGE appology. Publicly in print.

it is very telling that Maura left her personal possessions in the car, but she took the alcohol with her and was driving while she was drinking.

Huge red flags regarding the stresses she felt and the way that she was attempting to cope with those stresses.

I do wish that Maura took advantage of the "confidential" counselling services at school.

That could have made a big difference in her life instead of feeling that she could not confide in anyone and had to be "very private and secret" as to what was happening in her life.

Especially when the facts are material, to the circumstances of a person going missing and may lend knowledge into the "family" dynamics.

All I can say to the post by Cyberlaw is: How could you?

This family is experiencing something that unless you have been there, you have no idea the devasting effect that it has on your life. Fred Murrey has the right to question the honesty and integrity of anyone he chooses! Especially the last people to have seen his daughter. For Goodness sake, his child has vanished into thin air! A family goes through enough without having blame and ridicule placed upon them for what they could of done differently in their family lives to prevent this tragedy! I hope that Maura's family does not even read this. They just do not need it. I do not know them personally at all, but my child is missing and I know first hand how all consuming this is on your life. Can you even imagine living everyday with the mystery of what happened to your precious child? There are no words to describe it. When LE and the community do not get behind you and support you, it only makes it more unbearable.

These are just my opinions from personal experience.

Voluntarly missing adult person, who with premedition and forethought left school for places unknown. I don't find that complicated or confusing. Not at all.

Lt. John Scarinza released the following synopsis of the Maura Murray Missing Person Investigation conducted by his department:

The theory of this Press Release is that:

Investigators believe that Maura was headed for an unknown destination and may have accepted a ride in order to continue to that location.

Therefore in this synopsis, the suicide theory was not put forth. That certainly does not mean there was no letter found by the Police, just that the letter does not fit this particilar "press release" synopsis.

Notice that the Press Release did not mention booze, that she stopped to buy 4 bottles, that both accidents involve drinking and one involved drinking and driving, that someone saw her sometime after the accident, the distressing phone call.
.Investigators are also aware of some additional stresses that were occurring in Maura’s life at the time of these events to include a difficult long distance relationship with her boyfriend in Oklahoma.

That would support the synopsis of "additional stresses", along with the car accidents, which one is mentioned causing 10K in damage to a new car. The point being made is that she had two accidents in three days. Wow that is stressful.......along with the long distance relationship.

So the "main points" of this argument was a): Sunday she had the first accident causing 10K in damage to a new car. b) Monday she packed "neatly" her personal things along with a "note "recently received from BF. Then she looked up "overnight " accomodations in the locations of New Hampshire and Vermont. Then she took out most of her money and e-mailed her professors that she would be absent from work and school due to a "death in the family" which is pointed out in the Press Release as a lie.

You can only make one point in a synopsis, not several.

So it is the format of a press release, synopsis, not all of the information, just the information that supports the main point of a theory. So it is not a contradiction.

IF you can't see the difference in the circumstances between Brianna and Maura and the release of info and the "synopsis" of each in the Press Release, I strongly suggest you get out a piece of paper and start with the following: The point of the press release is to point out the difference and also that they are not related and that no serial killer is on the loose.

Incident/Violation: Brianna Maitland
Missing Person Investigation
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CASE #: 04A201455

You see Brianna did not plan on leaving voluntarly, and the people she associated with are involved with illegal activity, drugs and guns.

You wonder why the two cases are handled differently with different resources used. One is that probable cause is needed for a search warrant and the Police have that plus other court orders in the Brianna Maitland case and the other one is a missing adult who planned on leaving and made arrangements to do so.

I do hope the glaring difference is very evident to anyone who read the Press Release, to me it jumps out.

You see Maura is smart and self reliant so that is another reason why I feel she has the smarts to stay missing by choice if she wants to.

Another point in releasing this press release is to inform the public of the work done on both cases and dispel the "myth" that they are related in any way, shape or form .

Foul play is strongly suspected in the case of Brianna and not Maura. Facts support the case of foul play in the Brianna case, but not Maura. Except in the mind of Fred Murray.

Fred Murray should take a cue from the mother of Erika Baker. Even though Erika was a young child, disappeared suddenly, she never gave up hope against all odds that her daughter would walk in the door.

She has only recently started to mourn the loss of her daughter and accepted that she is not going to ever come home.

[/QUOTE]

How could anyone even presume to know what is in the mind of Fred Murray? Hello!!!!!! His daughter has vanished!!! Would you not want ever resource available to help find your child? And why shouldn't he have these resources? Has it occured to you that LE is not always competent in their jobs and it is the responsibility, unfortuantly, of the family left behind to persue every avenue possible? These resources would be available if it were one of the officials child missing, believe me. If Maura is missing on her own, and lets hope that she is, she still needs to be found, as you have pointed out time and time again, there seems that there may be things that she needs help with from the people who love her, not strangers that may take advantage of her situation. It does not matter how old you are, if you are lost in this big world, you deserve to be found! Please, try to be more understanding of a family that is grieving. And Mr Murray has the right to information that he is requesting, as he seems to be the only one looking for his daughter!

LillyRush said:
Oh I see the debate is still going strong w/ our buddy cyberlaw. :snooty:

Well, regardless, positive thoughts for Maura and her family during the recent 1 yr anniversary of her disappearance. :(
LilyRush,

I wholeheartedly agree........we need to make sure we engage in positive discussion and debate while avoiding confusing speculation.

I am very concerned that members will tire of the "same ol' same ol" and give up posting their interest in Maura's case.

Perhaps it would be best for all of us to completely ignore the negative and just not respond :hand:

Just my two cents today :twocents:

Earlier speculation on this forum (most likely in the postings that were accidentally deleted ) discussed how Fred Murray could just give up on his daughter being alive.........

Seems he hasn't:

'.............Through it all, Fred Murray is hanging on to hope that his daughter is safe and sound somewhere.

“I want her alive,” he said. “But failing that I want whichever of the dirtbags that did this to be caught.” ..................'

http://www.hansonexpress.com/article_95.shtml

Reading thru the last group of posts I reviewed the early news stories and later posts about the Thursday night, 2/5/04, during which Maura is said to have received the upsetting phone call while at her campus security job which made her distraught & crying & escorted back to her dorm.

The first mention is the Boston Globe 2/21/04 which attributes the story to Fred Murray and a high school friend Andrea Connolly, but it seems in context that they are repeating what they were told by campus police about Maura and the upsetting phone call on the Thursday night in question.

The next is the Caledonian Record 2/27/04 with the same story, again no timeline or specific times cited, and U Mass police detective Brian Davies given as the source.

The Quincy Patriot Ledger of 2/28/04 has the same story--upset, crying after the phone call etc.--with no timeline and no source.

The Boston Globe story of 3/02/04 is probably the source of the confusion that has ensued about this upsetting phone call, as it attributes the phone call received by Maura while at her campus security job to Kathleen Murray, with Lt. Robert Thrasher of the UMass police as the source. No timeline or phone record is cited.

The Patriot Ledger the next day 3/3/04 actually interviews Kathleen Murray who says that Maura called her (not vice versa!) around 10pm and that they talked about Kathleen's fighting with her boyfriend. Maura was not upset. This phone call has been verified from Maura's cell phone records.

This is the only phone call of that night which has been publicly verified as to time & source on Maura's cell phone records.

Obviously the Globe 3/2/04 story from Thrasher and the Ledger 3/3/04 interview with Kathleen Murray are in conflict as to who called whom & how.

It is worth noticing that the press release by NHSP on 6/8/04 and the synopsis of Maura's case by Det. Scarinza makes no mention of the upsetting phone call or of Maura's possible reasons for leaving school.

The Daily Collegian of 9/9/04 again rehashes the story mentioning Kathleen, Maura's co-workers (unnamed) and a WCVB-TV report, again with no timeline.
Det. Scarinza is quoted again as saying that police still do not know why Maura left school.

Two posts by Faith, a family friend, appear on MauraMurray.com dated 12-10-04 and 1-12-05, pointing out the discrepancy between the time of Kathleen's 10pm conversation with Maura (on Maura's cell record!) and the supposed 1am upsetting phone call received by Maura while on the job.

Faith adds that Fred Murray has been unable to verify the story and to speak to the supervisor who allegedly escorted Maura back to her dorm.

The 1am time for the upsetting call is a time that had to have been communicated to the family at some point by the U Mass campus police, as it does not appear in the early news stories or any other source that I can find.

Several of the early stories cited above do mention the U Mass campus police both Brian Davies and Robert Thrasher as sources for events of 2//5/04.

Lastly the post by Peabody above, who also has a connection to the family, notes that the campus security phone where Maura worked was not supposed to receive incoming personal phone calls--so any 1am conversation on 2/6/04 was either initiated by Maura or came from someone to whom Maura had given the number of her security desk.

And to repeat my own question--does anyone know when Maura arrived at work that night, and what her hours on the job were supposed to be?

Cyberlaw notes 8pm to 12am hours from the UMass website for security receptionists, and presumes her hours were 8pm to 12pm. ?????

Fred, I, and others have been searching for Maura for a year now. If anyone, knows or has information to where Maura maybe found, please let us know. We are strongly looking at a few people in the area that maybe attributed to Maura's disappearance. If anyone has any information, as trivial as it may be, please let us know!

I just checked out and read all the news stories and anything pertaining to Maura that I could find.
I don't want to question anything and bring any disrespect or hurt to her family.

She is a very beautiful person, is it possible that she was meeting someone? And that's why she didn't want the bus driver to call the police? Maybe she had met a new guy and they were going away for a week together?? Also did they check her cellphone records to see if she had indeed called AAA?
If she did,that to me would point out that she was abducted. If she didn't that could mean that she was meeting someone and would call them and have them come pick her up. But then of course, if she was waiting for someone, she could've been abducted before they arrived. And why wouldn't that person have come forward?
Did they check for any hotel reservations or anything where her directions led to in Burlington?
Was her car still warm when LE got there?? Meaning her accident was recent and she wasn't waiting for someone? and since that school bus driver approached her and offered to help, she assumed he would call police and she left to meet that person.

Honestly I don't think she was running away from her life for good. I'm sure she met up with foul play.

http://www.newtimes-slo.com/archive/2003-09-24/archives/cov_stories_2003/cov_03202003.html

The "missing person" joins the ranks of Americans who mysteriously go missing every year. At any given time, according to U.S. Justice Department data, the whereabouts of 40,000 adults in this country is unknown. Each person leaves behind loved ones and friends who can do nothing but ponder their absence–and worry.
People drop from sight for almost as many reasons as there are disappearances–broken marriages and dreams, shattered romances, disappointing occupations, financial problems, general dissatisfaction with life, fear. With many others, the departure is not at all voluntary.

When an adult’s disappearance is reported to law enforcement agencies, details provided by the reporting party and by relatives will be used by investigators to place the case in one of seven different categories: "lost," "catastrophe," "stranger abduction," "suspicious circumstances," "voluntary missing," and "dependent adult."

In 2001, 841,266 cases were reported to the FBI, but 861,918 were cleared, reflecting closure of old cases.

Experts agree that the number of missing adults reported in the United States each year–almost 200,000 in 2001–is low because local police routinely take a wait-and-see approach. Cost-effectiveness is said to be the reason. And without sound evidence of foul play, a disappearance case probably will not get much attention.

MaineSearch: I can understand your "desperations.

We are strongly looking at a few people in the area that maybe attributed to Maura's disappearance. If anyone has any information, as trivial as it may be, please let us know!

She was last seen running away from the accident scene along routes 112/116, avoiding a passing car. She was fine and "avoiding" any involvement of LE.

Are you "objectively" looking at people. What is the criteria you are using to determine this. Are you asking people for alibi's, to "furnish personal details", what exactly are you doing. I would be VERY careful when you are dealing with others, not because they are a danger, but because they can call a lawyer or real LE.

If you cross a very thin line, you could see yourself in trouble.

Maura's case is determined to be a voluntarly missing adult, why are you looking at others as to the source of her "disappearance".

You should consider the "Murray family fortunate" as Maura clearly indicated that she went voluntarly missing.

Other people go voluntarly missing, but they leave no clues. Then of course the "family" suspect the worse.

Those would be the "unknown" cases.

Julie: What makes you "sure" that Maura is or was a victim of foul play. Please provide me with your argument or evidence.

Remember Melissa Kennedy from New York.......she gave no indication of "voluntarly" going missing.

She had "emotional" problems and was "stressed from school". She knew people were looking for her and that her parents were "filled with anxiety and distraught". She also called them, but her parents did not tell LE this.

What makes people think that they know exactly what others will or will not do. What kind of pressures they are under, what is going on in their life, expecially when they won't talk about it or admit they have problems.

Who knows what they think.? What goes on in their minds? What reasons they do the things they do.?

Granted Maura has not used her Cell phone for the past year. That does mean that she has not used a cell phone for the last year, she could have used or bought a new cell phone.

Her Credit Cards can be replaced with new ones too.

New number also, all she has to do is report it lost and it will be replaced with new Credit Cards. She can also apply for other credit cards.

Has her SSN number been used, has her name been entered into a Peoplesearch.com database to determine if her name is associated with any public databases.

Did she open up a new bank account and is cashing cheques on this new account after taking out MOST of her money from her old account.

Like I said the above noted ideas are a lot more productive then looking "at people".

Use databases, Credit Reporting agencies, etc.

How do you know she is in the area.?

After all did she not have a note card associated with Burlingston, VT.

Have you checked all of the little towns in and around the Burlington Area.

I for one have not "written" her off for dead, or a victim of foul play. She is a smart, self reliant women who clearly is an adult who can take care of her self in an adult world.

Without her family..........they want to locate her, but who is to say that she wants to be found.

Unfortunately, it happens a lot more than you think. The missing person can live without their family and can do quite well, but the missing person can't live without the missing person.

The missing person family want the missing person located and "brought" back to us, but the missing person does not want to be "located and brought back".

Even IF Maura is located by LE, they would need her permission to tell the family where she is.

If she chooses not to tell them, to the family she is still missing and they are right back to square one, because they cannot "locate" her and she is still "missing from her family".

There is always two sides to every story.

Circumstances are rulers of the weak and instruments of the wise.

Julie: What makes you "sure" that Maura is or was a victim of foul play. Please provide me with your argument or evidence.
I said I 'think' which means that's my opinion on it. I ,of course, don't know for sure.

Sorry, I can't get the links to work, but these are very interesting articles for those interested in missing persons cases.

http://www.newtimes-slo.com/archive/2003-09-24/archives/cov_stories_2003/cov_03202003.html
An exhaustive, 10-part series on missing persons published in February by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/108579_missingday17.shtmlsuggested)the low priority assigned missing cases by most police departments is a national problem.

"Because of a lack of knowledge, indifference or poor training, police officers around the country fail to take even the most obvious steps, conduct routine follow-ups or comply with the law when handling missing-persons cases," the newspaper reported following a year-long investigation.

Detectives will often look for ways to dump cases so they won’t have to do follow-up work, according to the newspaper, quoting a forensic specialist who said, "If people knew how little was done with missing-persons cases, they’d scream."

Ben Ermini, a former police officer now with the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children, was also quoted by the Seattle newspaper: "The people who are put in missing-persons bureaus are not the most experienced detectives. Usually, it’s the guy on sick leave, reprimanded for something or near retirement. The missing-persons bureau is not looked at as the choice job."

In the past, police often would wait hours, days, even weeks or months before acting on a missing person report. The theory was that most people who went missing had done so voluntarily, that they didn’t want to be found. After a number of high-profile cases where law enforcement’s judgment was profoundly questionable and lack of action deplorable, demands for change were made.

To partially answer a question asked above, I have a friend (who has worked for SSA for many, many years) who says that Social Security would not know whether a person had used their social security card to get a new job until tax time. Perhaps the person who searches with Mr. Murray should tell him that now would be the time to notify SSA if the police have not done so.

As to taking out MOST of her money. I still say, less than $280 would go far.

It's good to have many different ideas submitted, but, please remember the word "respect". Regarding all of the suppositions about what upset Maura, and why she left the campus, I believe that at this point, one full year later, none of that matters. It might have at the very beginning of her disappearance. We probably all agree that she didn't drive off the side of Rt 112 on purpose. It was an accident, something not expected, and that accident scene is where the focus should be, I think. It could help to "brainstorm" possibilities starting right there where her photo is posted on 112. By "brainstorming" I mean to just think about the possible things that any person, not just Maura, might encounter right there, with snow and ice covering everything, 7:30 PM, no "street" lights, not a heavily travelled road at that time of year except for the year-around residents. In trying to "forget" about Maura for a few minutes, you might become aware of all sorts of problems, or solutions, that any person could encounter.

OMG, the FBI gets involved in criminal cases. In a criminal case you need a victim of crime. Evidence also.

Ever wonder why Scott Peterson was charged with Laci's murder when her body was found, and not before.

Sorry real life is not some TV script. LE actually needs factual information and evidence that OMG a crime has been committed. Go figure.........

You think that Fred Murray should TELL the FBI to charge the NH state police with Obstruction of Justice. Sorry, I just fell off my chair laughing. Sorry did it again, still laughing. How about charging the Attorney General for New Hampshire also.

If you actually familarize yourself with, this is a hard word to understand FACTS, you will see that Fred Murray will not get the files that he requested. Not a "legal chance" in heck. They are of an "investigative" nature and are subject to exception of the FOIA.

Not only do you have to look at the circumstances of the "alcohol related accident" you have to look at the person too.

Maura was able to run 4-5 miles with no problem. She routinely ran long distances. Track star....... that is the person. She very easily could have run to Lincoln and caught a bus to places unknown. You can't run long distances with suitcases .......

Could she have used some of the $280.00 to buy several bus tickets. Yes. Could she be in any one of a million places. Yes to that also.

No mention was ever made of a Passport, or if she had one.

Honor roll student, smart person........knows how to cover her tracks and lie to people. Self reliant......

Maura "avoided" a passing car, tried to in some sort of way, hide from it. Not the actions of a person in trouble or considering trouble.

The fact that the area is not well travelled, leads me to believe that if she did not feel she was in trouble, heck she would have gone to a house or flagged the car down if she felt any danger.

When people "question" LE in missing person cases it is more of an emotional response, then a factual one. They want their missing person found, if LE does not find them, then of course in their minds LE is to blame.

Can a missing person become a victim of a crime at any time that they are missing . Yes. Can a person who is not missing become a victim of crime at any time. Yes.

Can missing person be "missing" for many years. Yes.

Do the Police have higher priortiy crimes that need the attention of their services other than missing people who voluntarly go missing. You bet.

Are the other crimes of higher priority, safety to the public, a person, the city. Yes again.

Do the Police have unlimited time, money and resources to find the daughter who decided to "ditch" her family and voluntary go missing. No.

So I wonder why "missing" person's reports get such a low priortity, it seems that acutal crimes are of a higher priority.

Remember that the Police are there to investigate actual crimes, protect the public, serve the public and bring criminals to justice. They are not the voluntarly missing person police working for individuals who have a missing loved one.

An adult daughter of a politician does not come home for days. She is "missing" to her family.

A news release is on TV, newspapers, radio etc.

The Father knows the daughter likes to party.

Of course he does not tell the Police this. He uses his "political" influence to ensure that the public is well informed that his daughter is "missing" for days.

News Conferences, search teams, friends and family all look for the "missing" person.

Embarasses her in public. She comes home after her party friends "kid her about her Dad". You Dad is on TV looking for you, so please leave our house.

It happens again. After the third time, LE takes a report, but the media refuses to broadcast it.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

You wonder why "missing" persons get such low priority. Because of no crime has been committed. Unless of course they search the house of the "missing" person and find "evidence" of a crime. Then they know that the missing person may be a victim, not just missing.

Does needle and haystack come to mind when it comes to finding a missing persons. That would be one needle in 300 million haystacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam