The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

ShowerSinger said:
Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There are already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?
I think YOU need to run this...That is a GREAT idea!! :woohoo:

kato said:
The transports have been temporarily halted because gun shots are being fired at helicopters taking people from the Superdome to the buses. SICK!!! I think they are starting back up shortly.
As a US Army vet, I would have emptied a clip or so on anyone shooting at rescue choppers. Problem solved. :furious:

Why are they even shooting at these rescue helicopters? Scares the hell out of me, my Son is one of the flight crew members in the USCG helicopters. He does search and rescue. Why would they be shooting at them, whats wrong with people. Are they going nuts. Please Lord, keep these crew members in these helo's safe.

Miss Daisey said:
Bush should federalize the La guard...arm them and treat these w/ak47's as enemy combatants....terrorist...because that's what they are, IMO.
Exactly Daisey! Wtf are they thinking? I heard some somebody say that these people (looters and such) are acting this wasy to "get back" at society. It was a freakin hurricane! It was nobody's fault that mother nature unleashed, and their irresponsible acts could come at the cost of additional human lives:banghead:

lilpony said:
Why are they even shooting at these rescue helicopters? Scares the hell out of me, my Son is one of the flight crew members in the USCG helicopters. He does search and rescue. Why would they be shooting at them, whats wrong with people. Are they going nuts. Please Lord, keep these crew members in these helo's safe.
I pray for the safety of all of these innocent vitims, resuce workers, LE and military who are in harms way in the "own back yard" at the hands of these freakin idots. Sending good thoughts for your son Lilpony.

rollerbladr123 said:
LOL there are people in Houston hotels who are checking out of their rooms and wanting to live in the Astrodome because the latter accommodation is free HEHE!!

A lot of them were turned away before the bus arrived. They were told the Astrodome will only shelter those evacuated from the Superdome.

I heard the driver was only 20...I wonder whose bus it is. From what I saw it looked like a very nice Trailways bus.

I wonder if this bus was taken at gunpoint...if so, it's not funny.

scandi said:
Yes, Thank God for Texas and for all the people who have put this project together from the beginning and then of course for these people enduring the what turned out to be an absolutely awful living environment for a few days.

I just heard an interview on CNN with this black man who just was precious. He said he was overdue for everything, and he described what it was like being in the dome. The water was the color of rust, miserably hot, etc. But he wasn't complaining. He was just ready to take a rest now, get some food in his tummy and relax. LOL

And whoever the reporter is in Houston, I must commend him on the way he handled the interview. Interesting questions that were very simple and kindness in his voice. Beautifully done.

Scandi

Scandi,
There is doubt on whether that man was ever at the Superdome...these were not evacuees from the Superdome. I can understand wanting to get out of NO though.

mic730 said:
Now CNN is saying this may not have been a renegade bus.
SO they were not lying. Not even panic in the threat of being homeless explains lying!

I hope that is true. How did they manage to get such a nice bus when others are being loaded on school buses? And how did they manage to arrive an hour before expected?

Shower Singer, I caught a snippet on TV very late last night (I had the TV on in the background as I completed my Excel homework) and heard a Senator or Congressman from either LA or MS mentioning something about a closed Air Base to be used for some purpose soon. I'm not sure which one or where as I was half listening. Maybe someone got through with your idea. Maybe someone can find out if what I heard is true.

The more I think about this, the better it sounds. These people can be shown how to help themselves. These people can be given jobs, cooks, lawn maintenance, just an example of the possibilities. Child care for those that can go out and secure paying jobs. This should be for the true refugees, not looters etc. Those that will not try to help themselves or others can be dealt with. This is long term, not an immediate answer for those still waist deep in filthy water.

T'sNana said:
I think YOU need to run this...That is a GREAT idea!! :woohoo:

Excellent, excellent idea!! Much better than the Astrodome.

Awesome idea...I so much hope these folks can find a soft place (and dry) to land.... :angel:

Dark Knight said:
Thanks! I was also going to suggest them, as they are very reputable, and as you said, those areas are very Catholic with lots of churches and such.
I believe that you don't have to be Catholic for this charity to help you. If I am not mistaken, this charity provides a lot of services, based on income, for all individuals.

bakerprune64 said:
I pray for the safety of all of these innocent vitims, resuce workers, LE and military who are in harms way in the "own back yard" at the hands of these freakin idots. Sending good thoughts for your son Lilpony.
Oh Thank You...Baker, its appreciated!!

lilpony said:
GD SOB's anyway. Lilpony, I hope your son has orders to fire back if fired upon to 'grease' those A$$holes. It is getting very close to civil unrest and total marital law. There will be 18,000 or so more NG members going down there, but by then the desparation for water and food may exceed any semblance of common sense and care for a fellow man.

Praying for your son, and proud of him too.

nanandjim said:
I believe that you don't have to be Catholic for this charity to help you. If I am not mistaken, this charity provides a lot of services, based on income, for all individuals.
You're correct. It serves you without asking your faith etc. Actually, when I went to donate, it told me to give to Catholic Charities USA, it's sister organization, just FYI.

AZ_Veteran said:
GD SOB's anyway. Lilpony, I hope your son has orders to fire back if fired upon to 'grease' those A$$holes. It is getting very close to civil unrest and total marital law. There will be 18,000 or so more NG members going down there, but by then the desparation for water and food may exceed any semblance of common sense and care for a fellow man.

Praying for your son, and proud of him too.
Thank You so much. Its a horrible situation down there. Prayers for all of the rescue workers. And of course for all the people that are homeless now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back