The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

T'sNana said:
DK, that gave me chills. Thanks for the info.

I agree, chills indeed!

P.S. Hope one of the Houston Rockets players will "adopt" the old man with the hat!

I took my daughter to a fabric store today, and saw fabric for each of the NFL teams...saw the fabric for the Saints...it just made me sad. I can't imagine when (if?) the SuperDome will be used for another game - I'm not sad about the football, per se...but that there were obviously many fans that don't have their "home team" to cheer, or at least to play at home. I have no idea what the football season will be like for the team, and really don't care, that's not important in the big picture. But I did wonder - should I get some of the fabric and make little pillows or ? But, I didn't, I didn't know what to do with it. Just a weird moment of life I had to share, thinking of the NO people while in a fabric store, while my life was a "typical Saturday" for me...so many won't have a "typical Saturday" for a long, long time...

(AP) Nita LaGarde, 105, was pushed down the street in her wheelchair as her nurse's 5-year-old granddaughter, Tanisha Blevin, held her hand. The pair spent two days in an attic, two days on an interstate island and the last four days on the pavement in front of the convention center.

"They're good to see," LaGarde said, with remarkable gusto as she waited to be loaded onto a gray Marine helicopter. She said they were sent by God. "Whatever He has for you, He'll take care of you. He'll sure take care of you." LaGarde's nurse, Ernestine Dangerfield, 60, said LaGarde had not had a clean adult diaper in more than two days. "I just want to get somewhere where I can get her nice and clean," she said.

ap_small.gif

Mississippians' Suffering Overshadowed

By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS, Associated Press Writer

Mississippi hurricane survivors looked around Saturday and wondered just how long it would take to get food, clean water and shelter. And they were more than angry at the federal government and the national news media.

Richard Gibbs was disgusted by reports of looting in New Orleans and upset at the lack of attention hurricane victims in his state were getting.

"I say burn the bridges and let 'em all rot there," he said. "We're suffering over here too, but we're not killing each other. We've got to help each other. We need gas and food and water and medical supplies."

Gibbs and his wife, Holly, have been stuck at their flooded home in Gulfport just off the Biloxi River. Water comes up to the second floor, they are out of gasoline, and food supplies are running perilously low.

Until recently, they also had Holly's 75-year-old father, who has a pacemaker and severe diabetes, with them. Finally they got an ambulance to take him to the airport so he could be airlifted to Lafayette, La., for medical help.

____ Associated Press reporter David Royse and Brian Skoloff in Gulfport and Jay Reeves in Bay St. Louis contributed to this report

I know they got hit hard - but they're so lucky in comparison to New Orleans that I don't see a thing wrong with the level of coverage. Come on now - complaining while preparing a barbeque for your neighbors? Worried that you are about to run out of medicine?

In New Orleans there are no barbeques, they can't go to their freezer for leftovers to cook up, and the people there who need medicine mostly ran out already. Including that sad story of a father who had a reporter go to try to find his daughter to get his diabetes medicine - by the time the reporter was back, the father was dead.

I understand it - your own problems always seem larger relative to things that don't involve you - so they can vent, but the resources have to be allocated more to New Orelans until it's under control. It's that triage thing again.

According to most folks here they just need ole Shep and Raldo....problem solved.

Mississippi is in the same boat the Pentagon was in on 9/11. Overshadowed by the bigger story. No doubt about it. The good thing is there was far less loss of life in MS, so they have something to be grateful for.

I really have some questions about the costs of flood insurance in N.O. Were these properties insured? Florida is having a terrible time with insurance companies not wanting to cover the ocean front properties. Did the insurance companies really cover a place with such high flood risks? IF anybody knows please enlighten me, I find this mindboggling.

tybee204 said:
Sorry about the goofy thread merge. Hurricane related threads are being started all over WS and I have goofed a few trying to get them all put into a central location.
No problem Tybee, I just thought I was "Quacking Up" when I started reading the replies :D

kgeaux said:
They are confirming this on local news. Someone wanted the bus to pull over, and the driver was unable to do so, since the bus was part of a convoy. An evacuee got up, walked up to the driver and "initiated a physical confrontation." The bus crashed and rolled, killing one. Still no confirmation if it is the bus driver or an evacuee that died. But ALL survivors have been taken to local hospitals. Some seriously hurt.
Thanks for the update kgeaux, sad situation on top of all they had gone through.:sick:

Flood insurance is more often than not being covered right now. I don't have it on my house - too difficult and expensive - even when I'm in a place that is pretty near impossible to flood.

Mississippi gulf coast is ravaged. Power was restored last night in some areas only to go out again. Phone service is off & on. Paul (SIL) took their daughters to Fla & returned with a van full of supplies from a Wal-Mart somewhere up there. He & Tammy went to Biloxi yesterday with some people from his work and someone from red cross took these things(with gratitude) and told them to go back home. Our phone call last night was very short. They live in Vancleave and their house survived. They've taken in two other families but don't know what happened to many of their friends. Every time Tammy manages to get through to me on her cell she is crying. Then I cry. I'm just so glad they all survived. I try to stay on these other threads somewhat & put my 2 cents in. It keeps me from thinking about her tears.

I'm so glad your family is okay. The rest of the loss is heartbreaking, but they still have each other. It's gonna be okay ... eventually. Getting there is the hard part. :blowkiss:

I was visualizing this General doing this and got a chuckle and also felt a little better for these victims. :clap:

Dark Knight said:
Forgot to add, praise the Lord that one part of this nightmare is over!!!!

AMEN!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back