Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
NBC29 ‏@NBC29 6m
Investigators say they're working out of FBI regional headquarters in Charlottesville until #AlexisMurphy case solved.

I hate it when they say this. I know it is simply b/c a reporter asked, but every time I see it a case goes cold. I don't think this one will, but I don't like seeing it. Why even ask? You know they have to answer this way.

So he admits Alexis was in his camper the night she went missing

just like he admitted calling Samantha the night she went missing

Now both are missing....hmmmm

He will never tell them where they are until he gets a deal-jmo

I had to take a few hours to step back from this case. I'm trying to go back and read the threads, but it's going to take me a while to do that. So, at this point, has Randy Taylor, basically set himself up for a future reasonable doubt scenerio? It seems that a jury (which this could get that far) would, based on the instructions they would most likely be provided, find him not guilty of anything because he has set it up this way by maintaining his story and putting another potential suspect into the mix?

I haven't read all of the threads, but FBI always gets involved in cases when someone is considered a minor, under 18 years old and is assumed to have been kidnapped.

NBC29 ‏@NBC29 6m
Investigators say they're working out of FBI regional headquarters in Charlottesville until #AlexisMurphy case solved.

Okay. I'll ask this again.

Why is this an FBI case?

There is absolutely nothing that has been made public that gives any hint of extending outside the state of Virginia. Even if he's guilty of every single murder and missing person in the Colonial Parkway, James River, and Rt. 29 murders, nothing extends out of the state or involves a Federal crime. Yes, they get involved for minors and kidnapping. But the FBI does not normally come in and take over an investigation. Even when they're heavily involved, as in the recent Allana Gallagher case, they usually let local LE front the public and take the lead.

This strikes me as very very odd. I'm taking that remark that suggested RAT wasn't working alone a lot more seriously all of a sudden.

also, to go back to discussion from yesterday about that whole sheet/tent thing... here is a pic from wset, that is closeup/differ angle that they have posted... never saw it until now... but with this pic now I can see it clearly... it is a blue tarp, but it is the back side, the silver side of it.... http://www.wset.com/category/268872/the-search-for-alexis-murphy

also, about worries of this case going cold... or if RAT ever got released... I don't about other places, but for those of you who don't know Nelson county.... ~shaking head with a small laugh... ummmm, he will not last long in this community... the Nelson community will NEVER allow this case to go cold, and I would NOT want to be RAT and be anywhere near Nelson County for even a second if he was released on some technicality like before... this is a tight community that takes care of its own... just saying

carbuff;

I really think it is b/c Alexis is underage, under 18. I thought that was started with the Amber Alert, but could be wrong when it began.

I haven't read all of the threads, but FBI always gets involved in cases when someone is considered a minor, under 18 years old and is assumed to have been kidnapped.

Many teens are considered runaways and not even looked at as being anything else. That is why the good people at WS get so upset in that respect. The fact that the FBI was involved in this case so quickly is highly unusual. jmo

I do not believe an Amber Alert was ever issued.

From the FBI website regarding abduction of minors:

If a child is missing and possibly kidnapped, but no interstate transportation is known, will the FBI begin an investigation?

Yes. The FBI will initiate a kidnapping investigation involving a missing child “of tender years,” even though there is no known interstate aspect. “Tender years” is generally defined as a child 12 years or younger. The FBI will monitor other kidnapping situations when there is no evidence of interstate travel, and it offers assistance from various entities including the FBI Laboratory.

http://m.fbi.gov/#http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/faqs

Some one had asked about the attorney. Not sure if this is relevant or even fits proper info sharing protocol (if not mods can delete with my blessing) but I found some cached articles on some past cases here for anyone interested:

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Michael-Hallahan/221416715

Pretty sure it's the same guy.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/a...cle_90be04f8-6a7e-59ae-9ddf-41978b9db582.html

The above link is an interesting story on RAT's lawyer. I hope he gets along with RAT better than this previous client of his.

carbuff;

I really think it is b/c Alexis is underage, under 18. I thought that was started with the Amber Alert, but could be wrong when it began.

An AA was never issued.

FBI takes over lots of cases where I live (NM) mostly because they have far more resources than most of the towns and cities in NM. Not due to crimes in multiple states, etc. as is often believed about the FBI.

JMO

:beagle: :beagle: :beagle: Sending more virtual doggie treats since everyone loves them so much! :) :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

(Betcha that dog was seized from somewhere unpleasant; he appears to have some Pit...Beagles against (the) Eagles! :beagle: :beagle: :beagle:
And while we're here, will you guys please quit testing on us beagles?)

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

http://www.roanoke.com/news/2150555-12/defense-missing-teen-alexis-murphy-was-in-camper.html

"Federal, state and local authorities returned Wednesday to the Lovingston plot where Taylor lived in the blue-and-white camper authorities hauled off on a flatbed truck earlier in the week. Crews from the FBI, Virginia State Police and Nelson County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the residence with canine units and ATVs.

Barking dogs echoed throughout the woods surrounding the dilapidated home off U.S. 29, about 2 miles north of Lovingston."

Go dogs!

So he admits Alexis was in his camper the night she went missing

just like he admitted calling Samantha the night she went missing

Now both are missing....hmmmm

He will never tell them where they are until he gets a deal-jmo

I don't know if he's even working for a deal. I think he thinks he can establish reasonable doubt -- especially with the previous LE misconduct to point to.

I wonder if that's enough reason for local LE to turn it over to the FBI. But I didn't think the Virginia State Police were involved in that.

Here is some background information on Amber Alerts.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMBER_Alert"]AMBER Alert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

"It is recommended that AMBER Alert data immediately be entered into the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) National Crime Information Center. Text information describing the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the child should be entered, and the case flagged as child abduction."

An AA was never issued.

Right. I meant when Amber Alert came into being, not for this case.

However, I see up a post or 2 that the general age is 12 and under. Hmmm, at any rate, they may have thought Alexis could be moved to another state. But seriously, as I said in the last thread, the area has a lot of missing young ladies, local decision makers probably asked for assistance as they are probably getting a lot of heat about all the unsolved missing young lady cases they have.

Is it remotely possible the FBI stepped in BECAUSE local LE has a history with this guy, and of not making charges stick?

carbuff;

The fact that the FBI is involved doesn't surprise me. It's the fact that they've come in, in force, and taken over the investigation that strikes me as very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708