WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

The video says that she was removed from the home via the basement window, I wonder if thats true?

They also said that the blood on the house came from her nose. How strange! Per the blood in the neighbors basement window well - they said that her body must have 'laid there for some time'.

Another police mishap - a car was seen that matched the car the neighbors seen at the scene.. 2am the night that she went missing the police saw a car was parked near the bridge that they thought had something to do with the case - they wrote the wrong plate number down.

I'm thinking mucus is how they can tell blood came from the nose.

These videos are from the 1980's early 1990's. They do have an older feel. At the time the Rasmussen home was blue (green now) and still had the original front door. That since has been replaced. Glad you are all viewing these. I posted them back in June but they were buried fast.

After reading the facebook page and the 'taped' interview I would love to know what connection some drunks could have with a schoolgirl.

quote 'Gaulphair knew or knew of Hartley, and where she was babysitting. From the Rasmussen home, they took Hartley to their friend's farm'

Making a connection would be interesting.

That has had me curious as well. Can't really see a connection unless he knew of her father, who was a professor at the university in La Crosse, went to her church etc but that is all a huge stretch. La Farge is 30-40 miles away from La Crosse, and those farmers don't seem the types who would know the Hartleys.
One remote thought is while driving through La Crosse they saw Evelyn walking home from school and stalked her for awhile.

I also wonder if that statement was a mistake.

Her family had moved from Charleston, IL so perhaps we need to look into any ties that town may have to the farmers as well.

Also - It says here that Mr and Mrs Hartley also had a son that died while in the navy before Evelyn was taken. How much tragedy can one family be submitted to?

No real point in sharing this but her middle name was Grace. Evelyn Grace Hartley.

Anyway, some interesting facts I found on the FBI investigation of the items found.

Here.

Type A blood was on the jacket, but the blood was not from an injury to the wearer of the jacket. Evelyn's blood type as A.

The shoes were size 11D, the wear marks seem to be caused by the drive pulley of a mother bike - the shoes always are heavily worn in the sole portion around the big toe.

The jacket has a mark across the entire width of its back, the mark is exactly 1 and 3/4 inches wide. There were paint specks on the jacket that were analyzed and found to contain chemicals common to medal paints. Fibers in the pocket were identified as those commonly used in scrubbing brushes.

It is assumed that the mark is that of a steeplejack, and that the mark was made by a safety harness worn under the jacket - a La Crosse shop owner recalls to have made two such belts (of that size) for two young men in the La Crosse area in 1952. It is assumed that the man is a 'frugal' man as the jacket was very tattered - worn and repaired many times.

They believed it was a 'family' man that owned the jacket as they said it was very clean (they assume only a wife would wash items so well) In the pockets there were white, black, pink, dark purple, green, yellow, brown and red fibers. They felt this came from a 'family' wash.

A harness was made and and tried out with a man as the model - when sitting in the chair the intention in the jacket perfectly matched the steeplejack saftey harness and when braced against a building for balance the model wearing the shoes showed the wear marks would be in the same place as the shoes.

The jacket is size 36, which they said perfectly would fit a man about 5'6 and 135 pounds. The shoes were size 11D which they felt the person wearing the jacket couldnt have feet big enough to feel the shoes. (This seems weird to me, the jacket AND the shoes match the harness thing - the shoes show wear in the same spot the steeplejack would have to put his feet to brace himself, so wouldnt it seem logical the man would be wearing both?)

They feel that its possible two men are involved - they say the items found (her items and male items) indicate that the person that threw them out of the window was sitting in the passenger side of the car.

I know we dont really think Gein had anything to do with it but I find it odd that the stats they give for the jacket are nearly exactly a match for Gein. He was 5'6 and 5-10 pounds less than that.

Maybe two men who worked together as steeplejacks, one disgards the jacket and one his shoes. I would find it odd should my partner come home minus their shoes, I'd think either an affair or something more sinister. Somebody knows or suspected at the time surely. Also I think Evelyns clothes were kept and given to a wife/partner, the clothes that didn't turn up that is.

Maybe two men who worked together as steeplejacks, one disgards the jacket and one his shoes. I would find it odd should my partner come home minus their shoes, I'd think either an affair or something more sinister. Somebody knows or suspected at the time surely. Also I think Evelyns clothes were kept and given to a wife/partner, the clothes that didn't turn up that is.

I hadnt even thought of it being a pair of men and one having to dispose of his shoes while the other the jacket, but it makes sense.

A while back I said I thought it may be possible that one man (the bigger one) was outside as a look out while the smaller man (who could fit through the window) got into the house, the smaller man could have been possibly overpowered by Evelyn, which allowed her to get out of the home, and she was then attacked by the man waiting outside.

It just doesnt make a lot of sense that it would have been the plan to attack (and stab) her outside, because that would invite a lot of problems into the situation - someone walking by, someone looking out a window, someone driving by, someone hearing the noise of the attack.

I always seem to go back to the intention of the person(s) breaking into the home.

I cant help but to feel the intention wasnt to kill Evelyn, only because it just seems so chaotic and messy for someone that went there with the intent of murder. Was there an inventory of the Rasmussen home done to make sure nothing had been removed? Im curious if the weapon used to harm Eveyln was something that the person brought into the home or if it was a knife (or something) they took from the home.

My biggest issue with the idea that the person went in with the idea of wounding her and then taking her with him is this - why would they risk it?

Why would you allow someone to run outside of the home and get all the way to the home next door before wounding her? Its apparent there was a fight in the home and its apparent she got away from whomever was in the home and was able to get to the house next door and scream three times before the person was able to wound her.

Another random idea of what could have happened.

In regards to the neighbors window well that had Evelyns blood in it - the police said that she had been placed in the window well and left for a bit of time, they knew this due to the amount of blood in the window well.

Could it be that there were two men involved and one was waiting a block or so over in the car while the other was waiting in the car?

The neighborhood was new so there were empty homes and a huge field by the home, its possible there were two men that were driving around in an attempt to break into a home in order to sexual assault the inhabitant.

The screams were heard about 30 minutes after the family left the home - could it be that the people involved were driving around looking to see if anything caught their interest and saw Viggo and Evelyn driving to the home, then seeing Viggo and his family leaving the home a few minutes later without Evelyn and knew that she was home alone and decided she would be the perfect victim?

One man could have waiting with the car a block over or so while the smaller of the pair could have gone to the home in order to break in and drag Evelyn into the basement, render her immobile and then go back to get the other man so they both could sexually assault her? Its possible they felt they could leave her in the basement after they were done feeling confident that the parents wouldnt be home for a bit so they would have plenty of time to get out of town before she would be found.

The smaller man could have gotten into the home, went up to the living room where he knew she was and attempted to drag her into the basement never expecting that she would be able to put up such a fight - according to the FBI the jacket wearer would be about 5'6 125-135 pounds which would make Evelyn taller and heavier than he was.

He could have gotten her into the basement and attempted to begin to restain her (by tape, rope..whatever) when she first got away from him.. She could have began to run up the stairs with him directly behind her, him grabbing at her and grabbing her feet, causing one of her shoes to fall off which would account for the shoe in the basement. She could have then run through the living room, kicking off the other shoe in the process - making it out of the front door running towards the neighbor while screaming. The neighbor said they heard three screams - two normal screams and one that seemed 'cut off in the middle'. The one that was cut off in the middle could have been the man catching up with her and wounding her in order to keep her from going any further, then laying her in the window well of the other home while going to get the waiting man so they could figure out what to do so she would be less likely to attract any attention of anyone passing by.

The men could have gotten back to the window well and found Evelyn still alive, that would leave three choices - leave a bleeding Evelyn in the window well and taking the chance of her being able to give a description of the two men, taking her with them and attempting to figure out what to do with her later or killing her and leaving her there.

They could have attempted to hide the body (the amount of bleeding she was doing they would know she would be dying) in hopes it would give them more time to get out of town, this could account for the pry marks on the neighbors basement window. Had they just left her out in the open someone could happen onto her - had they been able to open the window of the neighbors home they could be fairly certain that she would bleed to death before being found.

Sure, they could have taken her back into the home that she was kidnapped from but they would be certain that she would be found rather quickly - the moment the parents were home. If they left her in a neighbors home that would buy quite a bit more time.

Its possible neither man wanted to accept the responsibility (or could stomach) the murdering of her, so they decided instead to take her with them. Oddly enough people sometimes feel that allowing someone to die (like bleeding to death) isnt as criminal as actually finishing the killing of them.

Not being able to get into the neighbors window, they would have been quite spooked at this point and decided to take her with them.

There was a 'large pool of blood' on a highway found 12 miles south of where she was taken, this could have been the point they took her from the inside of the car, placed her on the ground to remove her clothing and perhaps moved her body to the trunk.

Also I think Evelyns clothes were kept and given to a wife/partner, the clothes that didn't turn up that is.

I think its unlikely that the remaining clothing would have been usable, her found clothing was soaked with blood so Its assumed the other clothing she was wearing would have been covered as well.

In regards to clothing - Im finding it hard to believe that someone didnt step forward when the jacket and shoes were found. The FBI says that the jacket was mended many times - someone had to be responsible for mending it, why didnt they come forward? You either have someone that did the mending (who would surely remember doing so) or you have a man that is able to do such mending, which wasnt exactly what men did in the 50's, which would certainly catch someones attention.

The shoes and jacket were very worn (apparently nearly threadbare) so how is it possible that nobody came forward to identify them when photographs of them were put into the newspaper? That jacket was without a doubt one of a kind, it had a faded harness mark on the back of it - how could it not be noticed?

Clyde 'tywee' Peterson's taped confession makes me wonder if as well as being a farmer he did odd jobs when not farming, I wonder if he had done work at the Rasmussen house. It would also be interesting to see who he lived with, wife/family. The background of these men could prove interesting.

I'm sure there were two men involved, without two IMO they couldn't get her out of the window. The delay when Evelyn bled under the window might have been while one moved the car closer or while they waited for somebody to pass by (they may have even seen Evelyns father arrive).

Another thing that's interesting to me is the clothes, I think they were thrown out AFTER the police released info about the tennis shoe and pattern. If this is so then the highway they were found on may have nothing to do with the direction the car travelled that night.
Maybe everybody else already came to this conclusion, I'm thinking out loud and tend to ramble.

Clyde 'tywee' Peterson's taped confession makes me wonder if as well as being a farmer he did odd jobs when not farming, I wonder if he had done work at the Rasmussen house. It would also be interesting to see who he lived with, wife/family. The background of these men could prove interesting.

From what I recall the area they lived in was newly developed so there must have been all sorts of workers that were famillar with the area, perhaps workers involved in building the homes, ect.

I'm sure there were two men involved, without two IMO they couldn't get her out of the window. The delay when Evelyn bled under the window might have been while one moved the car closer or while they waited for somebody to pass by (they may have even seen Evelyns father arrive).

Its possible she wasnt removed via the window, Ive seen one newspaper report saying they felt that she was removed through the window (I think it was in the clip posted too) but everything else said they felt she exited the home via one of the doors. I have a really hard time thinking anyone would be able to get her out of that window regardless of if there were two men - she wasnt wounded before she left the home so it seems it would be a very difficult task for someone to be push/pull her out of the window.

The window well the police felt she had been put in for at least a bit was at the neighbors home so its possible the person(s) involved put her there. If we are to believe the person that said he saw a young girl being 'helped' along by a man, she was lead from the neighbors home across the open field - he passed a lie detector test.

Another thing that's interesting to me is the clothes, I think they were thrown out AFTER the police released info about the tennis shoe and pattern. If this is so then the highway they were found on may have nothing to do with the direction the car travelled that night.
Maybe everybody else already came to this conclusion, I'm thinking out loud and tend to ramble.

I keep trying to figure out what would make all the different colors of 'fibers' found in the jacket pockets and I cant come up with anything, any ideas? The police assume it was due to a 'family' wash, but it seems silly to me to assume that, but I cant come up with anything else.

Also, there was a single hair in the found shoes.

Re: the colored fibers. Two thoughts I have:

- could have been from plaid shirts, they usually have lots of color
- really could have been from washing with various other pieces of clothing. Look at the average lint ball - lots of different things.

Quote Punklove
''Its possible she wasnt removed via the window, Ive seen one newspaper report saying they felt that she was removed through the window (I think it was in the clip posted too) but everything else said they felt she exited the home via one of the doors. I have a really hard time thinking anyone would be able to get her out of that window regardless of if there were two men - she wasnt wounded before she left the home so it seems it would be a very difficult task for someone to be push/pull her out of the window

The window well the police felt she had been put in for at least a bit was at the neighbors home so its possible the person(s) involved put her there. If we are to believe the person that said he saw a young girl being 'helped' along by a man, she was lead from the neighbors home across the open field - he passed a lie detector test''

I read that Evelyns father couldn't get in because the doors were locked, then he went around the back and noticed the window forced, that's when he went to the neighbour to phone the police. IMO he would have used the house phone rather than the neighbours if he could get in. Again IMHO the Rasmussen's locked her in when they left, hence they HAD to go out the way they entered.

Re: the colored fibers. Two thoughts I have:

- could have been from plaid shirts, they usually have lots of color
- really could have been from washing with various other pieces of clothing. Look at the average lint ball - lots of different things.

Good point.

I read that Evelyns father couldn't get in because the doors were locked, then he went around the back and noticed the window forced, that's when he went to the neighbour to phone the police. IMO he would have used the house phone rather than the neighbours if he could get in. Again IMHO the Rasmussen's locked her in when they left, hence they HAD to go out the way they entered.

The doors to the home apparently automatically locked when closed. When her father ran out to call the police the doors also locked behind him, you could open the door from the inside but once the door closed you would need a key to get back in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back