LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
From KATC.com:
Latest Update Mickey Shunick: What you need to know today May 31, 2012
Police need help identifying the driver of a Chevrolet Z71 truck. The truck, a white 4 door, was seen on surveillance video traveling in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street.
I understand how the newbies feel trying to keep up with the lightening speed, multitude of comments and it's likely I, myself, have missed some details but, with that being said ... referencing the bolded statement above; wasn't LE initially asking that the owner of the Z71 white truck to please contact them and now, based on the wording quoted above ... LE is now asking the public for help identifying the driver???

I'm most likely nitpicking media wording and it's probably just semantics but it caught my eye.

From KATC.com:

I understand how the newbies feel trying to keep up with the lightening speed, multitude of comments and it's likely I, myself, have missed some details but, with that being said ... referencing the bolded statement above; wasn't LE initially asking that the owner of the Z71 white truck to please contact them and now, based on the wording quoted above ... LE is now asking the public for help identifying the driver???

I'm most likely nitpicking media wording and it's probably just semantics but it caught my eye.
Good catch.

I asked on the last thread right before it was locked, but did any of "our" WS locals participate in the volunteer search today?

Anyone planning to search tomorrow?

I wish I lived closer and could join the foot search.

From KATC.com:

I guess they're not banking on the driver coming forward like they asked, since they've had ample time and haven't. But, as has been mentioned, they could be offshore. Who knows.

I guess they're not banking on the driver coming forward like they asked, since they've had ample time and haven't. But, as has been mentioned, they could be offshore. Who knows.

They could be offshore or out of town for another reason or they could be a non-local (although I very much doubt that) and they actually don't know they are being sought out for questioning.

From KATC.com:

I said this earlier and I still suspect it. I think they have the truck. I think (for some reason) a variety of people could have been using it. If they have the truck, they should have a pool of people to investigate, but getting the "public" (someone who knows) to point a finger would speed things up for them I'm sure.

An earlier article said they were looking for the occupant or occupants. That's what made me read into it. I'll try to find that article.

I asked on the last thread right before it was locked, but did any of "our" WS locals participate in the volunteer search today?

I did intend to go today but hubby had something to do in vehicle so wasn't able to. Tomorrow I'm there.

It said the last thread was under "review". What does that mean?

It means that the moderators are reviewing the posts. It helps to eliminate rumors, ect. HTH

JMO, IMO,
:moo:, and all other disclaimers...

I don't often sign in but I come to Websleuths to read everyday. I rarely post on any thread. I have read every word of Mickey's threads. The extra context that everyone has supplied is amazing. I have clicked on every link to all the camera angles, posters, videos and maps. So much extra work has been done to give perspective to this mystery. I have read the frustration at times but the whole community effort of old sleuthers and new locals has formed a caring community. Many thanks to all the thinking, searching, backtracking everyone onsite in Lafayette LA has done.

I planned on volunteering today, but I had to take care of a broken AC today, It's hot out here...

I am going tomorrow for sure though.

From KATC.com:

LE has been asking the public for information on the Z71 since the story about the truck broke on May 25th.

snipped & bbm:
An earlier article said they were looking for the occupant or occupants. That's what made me read into it. I'll try to find that article.
I think the only way they're going to get info on that truck and who was driving it (because there's so many of them) is IF there was a passenger in the truck and they are brave enough to come forward at some point ... if ever.

Don't know if it's good or bad but ... no new news.

A map and timeline if you are still confused by the trucks http://goo.gl/maps/uE3D you can zoom in, switch to satellite view if you like.

I'm not a local, but after looking at the map & google earth a thousand times, I agree with Chicken Fried's proposed route. It seems to make more sense.

Now I'm thinking about Mickey's mother going over and over and over the same information we've been slicing and dicing- but her child's at the end of the trail.

I'm OK with posters getting tense or silly or repetitive...because it's not my daughter at the end of that trail, after all.

This is just the Internet.

I wish I could help find her.

Last weekend, a friend an I 'chased' a white truck with LA tags through a mall parking lot. Turned out to be a perfectly lovely older couple with what looked to be a grandchild and a dog. I hope we didn't frighten them.

Have you all thought what it would be like to be the one who found her?

LE has been asking the public for information on the Z71 since the story about the truck broke on May 25th.
I realize that BUT, to me, it was more along the pretext (or appeared to be) of them wanting to question the driver as a possible witness ... not so much as a suspect. KWIM?

Am I wrong, but since there is an APB on White Z71's, isn't LE allowed to pull over any vehicle that fits the description in the area? I realize that there are MANY Z71's in the Lafayette, and that this could be tasking, but I wonder if they have pulled anyone over...
Also, since the bike was found at Whiskey Bay, I think that the perp continued to head east on I10 and I would imagine that LPD informed State Patrols in that direction (AL, MS, FA) to be on the lookout for a white Z71 with Louisiana plates.

If they know the exact truck then you'd think they would give us the make and model type. Is it a GMC or Chevy and what exact model is it...Z71 is just a package that's an option on different GM vehicles. Right now it seems like all they can be sure of is the Z71 part (from a decal on the rear?)

Glad I found the new thread. Ok, I'm wondering, and forgive me if I'm redundant, isn't it possible she did continue all the way down st Landry toward blackham coliseum but the business cameras just weren't synced to her pace to see her? And is it possible the truck was coming from one of the saints streets and clipped her then?

If they know the exact truck then you'd think they would give us the make and model type. Is it a GMC or Chevy and what exact model is it...Z71 is just a package that's an option on different GM vehicles. Right now it seems like all they can be sure of is the Z71 part (from a decal on the rear?)

It's possible they're sure of the Z71 identity from forensic paint analysis from the recovered bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23