GUILTY PA - Sherry Leighty, 21, Altoona, 1 October 1999

:( I'm sorry .
She can be laid to rest and a proper burial but all that lost and wasted time.....it's just a shame.

My heart breaks for your family and Sherry's kids, but I am also so happy that you finally have answers and can bring Sherry home. I will never drive through Warriors Mark again without thinking of your sister. (((hugs)))

Thoughts are with Shelly and her family. I am glad they are finally able to bring her home and have some closure. I feel for Sherry's children, now knowing that their own grandfather killed their mother.

heartbreaking :( i am so sorry there wasn't a "happy ending" to sherry's story but your brother was very right shelly, your continued vigilance is the reason she is home today. if you, your brother and father had accepted that she ran off with a boyfriend to maine all those years ago, it would have ended there. but you kept the pressure on, especially in recent years.

next stop justice for sherry!

Bittersweet. I'm sure Shelly and her family expected this outcome all along, but it's still hard to know the truth.

Sherry can be laid to rest properly, and hopefully we will all be around to see justice served for her.

RIP now Sherry. This case is so sad. Dropped off a block from work.. we all know that one.

So sorry for your loss Shelly.. so sorry for Sherry's kids loss of their mother, as well as the loss of their mothers family. I'm praying that you can overcome all of this and be a family again. ((hugs)) Beautiful lady, you are an inspiration and I pray for you to have peace and closure. I also hope you give yourself a pat on the back. Without you, I doubt she would have ever been found.

We won't forget Sherry.

Sad

RIP now Sherry. This case is so sad. Dropped off a block from work.. we all know that one.

So sorry for your loss Shelly.. so sorry for Sherry's kids loss of their mother, as well as the loss of their mothers family. I'm praying that you can overcome all of this and be a family again. ((hugs)) Beautiful lady, you are an inspiration and I pray for you to have peace and closure. I also hope you give yourself a pat on the back. Without you, I doubt she would have ever been found.

We won't forget Sherry.

Sad

I believe forever Sherry Leighty will be the poster case for not giving up and for making LE accountable to families. While it's not going to replace the loss, it will help other families in the future. That is a small blessing in this otherwise very depressing story. Sherry will help others , I have no doubt !

I'm so glad Sherry can finally come home and be properly laid to rest.

Shelly - I am praying for you and your family. What a long nightmare for all of you. You are an amazing woman and you should be so proud of yourself for never giving up on Sherry. She is smiling down on you <3

Although they obviously had their issues, and he may well have known something about Sherry's fate for a long time, I have to applaud Aaron for doing the right thing.

It must have taken a lot of courage for him to implicate his own father and to face the reality of what happened.

I guess I am a cynic, it's hard to believe he never reported her missing. Never called her family. I'm not saying he had anything to do with it but I'm thinking he knew all along.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/sta...cle_2246cea8-a4ac-59d9-b22f-f9055550975b.html

Quote from article, "A defense attorney says a central Pennsylvania man charged with homicide in the 1999 death of his daughter-in-law says the woman's death was accidental."

Hmm. Well, even if the death was accidental (which I doubt) concealing her body and lying to her family, and the distress that resulted from that were all deliberate. Does PA have any charges that could cover that? In the UK, Mark Bridger was charged with perverting the course of justice, as well as the murder of April Jones, and that also carries a maximum life sentence.

I'm relieved for Shelly and her family that Sherry has been found but it's terrible that it took so long. It would be nice if having screwed up the initial investigation, LE/DA made sure that the FiL gets the book thrown at him.

:rose: Sherry is our featured cold case from 5/19/2013 to 5/26/2013 :rose:

Is her case technically a cold case? I mean, they found her and are charging the man involved.

Sounds like a solved case to me

She has been featured by request.

May Sherry rest in peace and justice be served in the courts. :please:

Thank you for featuring Sherry, Kimster!! <3

Just one small note though, the front page says Altoona, TX. It should be Altoona, PA :seeya:

It's unbelieveable to me that just, what -- a month ago?? This case was not only cold, but the police wouldn't even look into it from the day it was reported over a decade ago!!

Funny how things fall into place. I have no idea what made the ex-husband "turn in" his dad after all this time, but it can't be a coincidence that it happened after Shelly started making waves and getting somewhere. He probably figured she was going to find out what happened, and soon. He might as well save his tail in the process!

Thank you for featuring Sherry, Kimster!! <3

Just one small note though, the front page says Altoona, TX. It should be Altoona, PA :seeya:

It's unbelieveable to me that just, what -- a month ago?? This case was not only cold, but the police wouldn't even look into it from the day it was reported over a decade ago!!

Funny how things fall into place. I have no idea what made the ex-husband "turn in" his dad after all this time, but it can't be a coincidence that it happened after Shelly started making waves and getting somewhere. He probably figured she was going to find out what happened, and soon. He might as well save his tail in the process!

Thanks for the correction! We will be discussing Sherry's case on the radio show that starts in a bout 45 minutes. If you miss it today, you can still click on the link in my signature line and hear a tape of the show later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back