NV NV - Everlyse Cabrera, 2, North Las Vegas, 10 June 2006

Another article on this from the AP

MISSING GIRL

Clark County denies report on abuse in foster home

LAS VEGAS (AP) _ Clark County Family Services is denying news reports that they did not investigate a possible abuse complaint in the home of foster parents who recently reported two-year-old Everlyse Cabrera missing.

K-L-A-S-TV news reported Wednesday night that a foster child was injured while under the care of Vilma and Manuel Carrascal.

The report said the child allegedly suffered third-degree burns and -- although the injury was reported to the Clark County Child Abuse Hotline -- it was never investigated.

County spokeswoman Regina Oliveras says county workers DID investigate an incident in the Carrascal home.

The review found that the child suffered an injury, but it was -- quote -- "deemed unintentional."

Oliveras says the child was removed from the home but NOT because of the injury.

OIliveras says North Las Vegas Police have requested that Clark County not provide further information because of a -- quote -- "ongoing criminal investigation."

The Carrascal family reported Cabrera missing on Saturday.

But they are no longer cooperating with the investigation into the little girl's disappearance.

Police plan to offer a reward for information about the girl.

Old Broad

LAS VEGAS (AP) _ Clark County Family Services is denying news reports that they did not investigate a possible abuse complaint in the home of foster parents who recently reported two-year-old Everlyse Cabrera missing.

K-L-A-S-TV news reported Wednesday night that a foster child was injured while under the care of Vilma and Manuel Carrascal.

The report said the child allegedly suffered third-degree burns and -- although the injury was reported to the Clark County Child Abuse Hotline -- it was never investigated.

County spokeswoman Regina Oliveras says county workers DID investigate an incident in the Carrascal home.

The review found that the child suffered an injury, but it was -- quote -- "deemed unintentional."

Oliveras says the child was removed from the home but NOT because of the injury.
.......................................................................................................

Well why was that foster child removed from the home if it wasn't because of the burn....was there another injury? For a minute I thought this article was about the 2 year old that is missing......and it says the child was removed from the home.

I wonder what has happened to this baby. I thought about the 14 yr old too.
Something isn't right when people won't cooperate with LE. It is really a sad thing when children are taken from the parents because it is felt that the children aren't safe with their family and then look what happens in foster homes! This case isn't a exception to the rule either. Lots of stuff goes on because DSHS isn't picky enough when they hand out licenses....because they are desperate for foster families. The amount that a foster family gets paid isn't even enough to feed and clothe a child...that is one reason people don't want to foster parent kids....they can't afford to.

Bobbisangel said:

.......................................................................................................

Well why was that foster child removed from the home if it wasn't because of the burn....was there another injury? For a minute I thought this article was about the 2 year old that is missing......and it says the child was removed from the home.

I wonder what has happened to this baby. I thought about the 14 yr old too.
Something isn't right when people won't cooperate with LE. It is really a sad thing when children are taken from the parents because it is felt that the children aren't safe with their family and then look what happens in foster homes! This case isn't a exception to the rule either. Lots of stuff goes on because DSHS isn't picky enough when they hand out licenses....because they are desperate for foster families. The amount that a foster family gets paid isn't even enough to feed and clothe a child...that is one reason people don't want to foster parent kids....they can't afford to.

Like little Rilya, who hasn't been found to this day.I said a long time ago that state orphanages run by competent educated people should be established. Run with today's children in mind. Playgrounds, educational resources, recreational rooms, sports facilites, counseling frequently and hugs from every staff member and every pre-qualified volunteer is needed.The foster care program doesn't work, B, just like you said.

It cannot cost any more than the waste and fraud that is going on now and kids are disappearing and dying. If you invite the dysfunctional to take care of throwaway children or children in flux than they have no hope.

As an embarrassing aside I had a sister with Downs Syndrome.I have lived away for over 30 years. My parents were making at least $85,000 dollars a year and applied for supplementary income for her under social security and received it. This is deplorable. She is dead now and never had a life of any sort anyway.She watched tv and ate baloney sandwiches and never got out of the house. This is something I will never forget...I don't speak to them anymore.

concernedperson said:
Like little Rilya, who hasn't been found to this day.I said a long time ago that state orphanages run by competent educated people should be established. Run with today's children in mind. Playgrounds, educational resources, recreational rooms, sports facilites, counseling frequently and hugs from every staff member and every pre-qualified volunteer is needed.The foster care program doesn't work, B, just like you said.

It cannot cost any more than the waste and fraud that is going on now and kids are disappearing and dying. If you invite the dysfunctional to take care of throwaway children or children in flux than they have no hope.

As an embarrassing aside I had a sister with Downs Syndrome.I have lived away for over 30 years. My parents were making at least $85,000 dollars a year and applied for supplementary income for her under social security and received it. This is deplorable. She is dead now and never had a life of any sort anyway.She watched tv and ate baloney sandwiches and never got out of the house. This is something I will never forget...I don't speak to them anymore.

I have to agree about having orphanages again. They could be a good thing as long as there were a lot of staff to meet the needs of the kids. Maybe even have them in regular 4-5 bedroom homes with big yards. That way there could be 8-10 kids per home with staff 24 hours a day. That way they would be raised more like in a family setting instead of just a big building like what used to be.

I used to work in a Residential Treatment Center for troubled teens. It was in a regular 4 bedroom house and we housed 8 kids at a time from 12-17. It worked really well. Those poor kids had been shoved from one foster home to another one. They liked being with us because it was like having a real home.

Your parents must have gotten the money for your sister just because they could. You would think they would have felt funny about it with their income.
I could see getting some help with medical if her medical bills ran real high though. You don't have anything to be embarrassed about Concerned.

concernedperson said:
I wouldn't worry about this. You are from a generation in which there were no programs in place to help educate any persons of any disability plus you may not have known the expenses your parents had or their reasons for applying for the disability money, I would imagine their initial medical expenses were pretty high for testing and such.

I had a friend with an older sibling who had been institutionalized for severe mental retardation among other problems and her parents were very well off and I know she said they applied for her SS disability but she knew they did it so that if/when they passed away it would be all set up and easier to roll over to her instead of having her sister stuck in government limboland. Perhaps this is your parents reasoning.

At any rate, I agree the system does not work but I don't know how group homes would be much better-the help would be low paid, the screening process would bog down the system and I'm sure the turnover rate for employees would be staggering.

My brother has held a very long term job in a group home for autistic adults and he is always telling me about the horrible turnover rate. He has also reported a couple of the employees as he has suspected they were a danger to the very people they had been hired to assist and one of the people reported had a felony assault that had gone unnoticed or unchecked before my bro reported the guy for his suspicions. He said he never saw anything happen but one of their residents had some suspicious bruising and acted nervously around Mr. Questionable.

I just hope this case at least forces the hand of the social services in that area and that they find this little girl asap.

I've raised six children. I've never once had any of them move a chair to the door to unlock a deadbolt. I wonder if this child of 2 1/2 would even know to turn (or would be able to), the knob of a deadbolt.

The non-cooperation of the foster-family points a big read arrow at them.

I won't be at all surprised if eventually, one of this foster-family is taken in for questioning and one of them is arrested.

This is too sad. These poor kids are placed with this family to keep them safe, and........................they disappear without a trace.

JMHO,
fran

Both of my children can and have unlocked the deadbolt from indoors so we installed a hotel style slide lock-similar to a chain lock but instead of a chain there is a slide bar that goes over a peg. Since we installed that our kids have tried dragging their bathroom stools to the door to unlock that lock-but just them getting the stool is loud enough to alert us.

(edited to add that my kids have been doing this since around age 2)

I still am highly suspicious of the foster parents here just because most of the times when the news reports say somebody is being uncooperative it has turned out that person was involved :(

I know if it were me I would cooperate even if it meant being questioned every single day for the rest of my life-yeah, that might get annoying but if it helped find a missing child I'd do it with little grumbling as would most folks.

They want to stop the vigil?

Gee, anyone else think the foster parent's behavior a tad suspicious?

bykerladi said:
They want to stop the vigil?

Gee, anyone else think the foster parent's behavior a tad suspicious?

They remind me of Ricky Holland's foster/adoptive parents. Took long enough but they were finally arrested for his murder. There is never a good enough reason for people not to cooperate with LE when a child is missing. This is just a baby for pity sake. I think that they know something that LE is probably beginning to suspect. It is just a darn shame that these people were ever given a foster license. Someone in that house knows where that baby is.

What kind of people are these that want to stop the vigil for that baby girl?
Do they want everyone to just go away and forget about her. Probably what they are hoping. I wonder when this baby was actually last seen in person?

There haven't been any new news reports regarding Everlyse, just bumping for her.

What happened to the 2 year old foster child who was supposed to have climbed on a chair, unlocked the door and disappeared. There was a teen boy and an way older guy living in the home with their parents. The parents stopped talking to LE.
I've looked back to like April and can't find her. I'm sure it wasn't that long ago though.

No new news, just bumping in case anybody has heard anything about little Everlyse Cabrera.

I bumped the thread for you-her name is Everlyse Cabrera. No new news that I have heard.

reviewjournal.com -- News - NLV foster father in case of missing girl seeks protection

... The foster mother told police she discovered the dark-haired, brown-eyed girl was missing about 8 a.m. They contacted police four hours later. (Four hours after you notice a 2 year-old is missing????? :waitasec: )

The Carrascal's live with their two children, Melvin Balane, 34, who owns the Diamond Point Drive home, and a 14-year-old boy.

Anyone with information about can contact 1-800 THE-LOST (843-5678) or Crime Stoppers at 385-5555. Urgent tips can be made to the main police line at 633-9111 or to 911.

reviewjournal.com -- News - EDITORIAL: Grabbing more kids

Marlena Olivas was already missing one child. The young mother says two of her children were taken away from her by county authorities in January because they did not believe she had adequate housing...

Marlena Olivas is still being kept apart from her 1-year-old. In fact, she says, she first came into contact with county child welfare officials when that son was born. Both she and the child tested positive for marijuana at the time...

Both parents ... were ordered to take a drug treatment class.

Ms. Olivas admits she didn't complete the classes. But she says she wasn't warned that as a result, county officials would do what they did on July 6.

Marlena Olivas gave birth to a new baby at University Medical Center on July 5. ...The infant ... was drug free. "I'm clean and sober," the mother says. "The baby is clean. They (the hospital staff) let me know that me and the baby are totally healthy."

Yet when Marlena Olivas went to leave the hospital with her baby the next day, authorities took the newborn out of her arms...

reviewjournal.com -- News - Neighbors hold evening vigil for 2-year-old girl missing since Saturday

... "It's not their first time having foster children, they have been licensed by for a while..."

The foster family went through the process before July 2005 when there were only six classes needed for a license, Swain said.
The classes, of which there are now nine, teach parenting skills, nurturing techniques, how to work with biological parents and discipline skills.

The parents are the only ones required to take the classes, but a "comprehensive assessment is done of the entire family" and seven references are needed before a family can care for foster children...

Other adults living in the home that are not primary caregivers must also complete an FBI and Metropolitan Police Department background check and a child abuse index check...

One neighbor, Sheryl Magsino, said that the foster family has babysat her 4-year-old daughter. She said she never had any problems and thought of the family as responsible...

I want to know why LE called off the search for this little girl almost right away. They didn't even have a chance to find her they stopped searching so fast. What is up with that?

It doesn't matter what foster parents have to do to get foster licenses. There are many people who have gotten foster care licenses that should never have had them. There are good foster parents and then some that turned out to be nightmares.

This baby didn't just walk out of the door at night and she is still walking down some street somewhere. Something has happened to her. I wonder if the teenager in the home doesn't belong to the son who owns the house? It sounds like the foster parents are living with their older son and maybe his son. That would be quite a difference in ages between sons.

So what the heck is LE doing now to find this little baby girl? They can't have just dropped the case when they stopped searching. They have to try and find her. Didn't these foster parents stop cooperating with LE? Weren't they going to sue the neighbors for having a vigil in front of their home? Something wrong with this picture.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back