IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped for space>
Do we know how much Elizabeth weighs? Assuming her pictures are current, she looks very small and easy to carry. He could have literally grabbed Elizabeth and carried her up the trail. Lyric could have run after them and the perp could have forced Elizabeth into the vehicle and then forced Lyric in too.

What is really sad is, in this potential scenario, Ted the cyclist would have arrived on the scene just minutes after the girls were taken.

The info I've seen says she's around 80 lbs: http://www.examiner.com/article/mis...s-and-polygraphs?cid=PROD-redesign-right-next (I hope this is considered MSM)

And you're right, very sad.

I just thought of another thing LE may have been checking for at the roadblocks today.

Any vehicle, particularly one that was not particularly clean on the outside, that were very clean inside and smelled strongly of cleaning agents. Or any vehicle that was professionally detailed in the previous week.

I doubt that would be enough for probable cause but if I were running things, I'd note that license plate, run it and then wait to see if the same name pops up again in another part of the investigation.

good catch about the cleaning agents..never thought about that.

Still catching up from this afternoon... wondering if this is what could have been said in the presser:
Can you comment on Misty Morrissey's cell phone and car being towed yesterday?

Was her car towed????? As in seized/impounded? For forensic testing/evidence?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

If in the presser it was 'Can you comment on Misty Morrissey's cell phone in a car being pulled over yesterday' - could that mean a phone belonging to Misty that was maybe used by Lyric was found in a car that was pulled over and that is their new evidence?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

What are the chances that the girls parked their bikes unlocked while in the store and when they came back, the bikes had been taken ?

I can imagine one perp staying behind and telling the girls `Oh, some guy took your bikes and I think they were headed that way`. Once the girls arrive near where the bikes were found, they are accosted by perp 2 who somehow redirects them into a waiting vehicle.

There are different codes of conduct amongst inmates, especially when it comes to inquiring about family and friends. If someone wants to share info, that is one thing but if the info is not offered, pressing the matter can get you shut down pretty swiftly. I would be very interested to know how free Lyric`s parents were when sharing personal details with fellow inmates. Y`know, names of children, where they lived, what activities they participated in and so forth.

Has there been any mention of Lyric visiting either parent during their respective incarcerations ? Were the visits contact or no-contact ? Did Lyric attend any social events or receive supports specific to the needs to children who have parents in federal custody ? A previous posted mentioned the possibility that the perp could have been someone who had the appearance of being in authority and/or someone familiar to at least one of the children. What about a social worker, parole/probation supervisor, or prison guard ? A social worker or parole supervisor would have some degree of familiarity with Lyric`s routines and family relationships. All jmho, of course.

I'm trying to catch up, not sure if this has been mentioned. Is it possible they were making a "delivery" for someone. A family member or friend of the parents? They could have been approached while out riding and agreed to an errand that put them in a bad spot?

Ask her what she'd do if her sister (or best friend) was being held and threatened by a stranger displaying a weapon.

I'd cut directly west on Hwy 20 and pick up I-35 somewhere north of Ames. Since this is construction season in Iowa, there's no guarantee that any given stretch of an interstate is actually faster than a 2 lane highway.

I get what you mean, though.

I think the place where their bicycles were found really suggests someone with local knowledge but that doesn't preclude a predator who moved away three years ago from coming back to their old stomping ground to do a little hunting.

The statistics suggest that the girls are somewhere within a 25 mile radius, if I recall them correctly.

But the possibility that they may have been taken out of Iowa is why I'm glad the girls are drawing media attention from all over the world.

I talked with my daughter and she said she'd run for help screaming. Until she is old enough in my eyes, though, she will not be alone with just a friend. An adult must be in eye/ear shot. At least while we are in this country. My daughter is quite tall and while she does not weigh much, has beginning curves. Mama bear is not comfy with her being out of sight.

My concern was with their being at least the remote possibility IMO of a drug connection. Someone with a knowledge of the area and perhaps linked to the drug issues. It just seems (feels) like more than a random pedo abduction. I do not feel the family harmed the girls directly, but two recent incidents in my own locale had innocents targeted to get back at someone who supposedly shorted them money for drugs. One involved a 13 year old girl who was abducted and taken to Mexico. The other involved the friend of the person who shorted their dealer having his family shot at. The dog was the only casualty, sadly but thankfully not the three toddlers who were in the yard and saw their dog killed. In both incidents no one was arrested yet.

Myself and a family member tried to help the LE in one Tx city find an abducted girl and though we showed them valid reasons via computer analysis of available data, why the girl HAD to be where we said, they insisted we had no idea. When someone finally phoned a tip in to look where we told them, they found the cabin and inside the girl, alive but molested.
Sometimes what seems obvious is not the answer...sometimes it is.
Oh how I wish someone would come forward to say they saw something. In daylight someone had to see something...even if it was a passenger in a car on the highway near the lake...even a quick glimpse of something that seemed off. Perhaps someone has given info and the LE are looking into it. If not, it seems IMO likely that the girls knew who took them well enough to go with them without a fuss.
I am an optimist so I will continue hoping the girls will be returned.

That is exactly what I told her! :) I explained how once in a car, chances go down of survival etc. I think it really scared her though because she sees the posters up in town, has watched all the local newscasts, and knows exactly where this place is they were taken from. When I turned the story into her and one of her best friends it upset her.

I told her that no matter HOW hard it is...she would have to leave her friend and run. That would be her best chance of helping her friend remain alive.

Another thing I think is really important to explain to children is that being impolite is ok if they feel uncomfortable. My children are nice kids and I beat it into their heads to be polite all the time. So I had to convince them that it's ok to ignore an adult's demands and RUN if their body or mind tells them to. (This goes for strangers AND people they know but don't necessarily trust.) If it ends up being a "false alarm" we can always explain ourselves and work it out later. Good people will understand and be proud of a kid for a smart reaction, even if it's seemingly "offensive" at the time.

Another thing I think is really important to explain to children is that being impolite is ok if they feel uncomfortable. My children are nice kids and I beat it into their heads to be polite all the time. So I had to convince them that it's ok to ignore an adult's demands and RUN if their body or mind tells them to. (This goes for strangers AND people they know but don't necessarily trust.) If it ends up being a "false alarm" we can always explain ourselves and work it out later. Good people will understand and be proud of a kid for a smart reaction, even if it's seemingly "offensive" at the time.

O/T a little, but goes with your :) I read some magazine (parenting or something along those lines) which stated in an article that when your child is little and they don't want to hug/kiss/talk to a family member....don't make them. They are just following their intuition and that's a good thing. Makes you go hmmmm. Not that the people they are avoiding are bad, but might sense a bad mood, uneasiness, etc. I found it interesting.

I asked my son (age 7) about what he would do if someone asked him to help find his dog, or offered him a toy in their car, etc - and he said he would say "uh, no thanks. Excuse me, but I need to go inside now". I laughed at the polite but correct answer.

I also showed him the two recent videos of failed kidnappings to show how fighting and kicking and screaming gets a kidnapper to give up.

O/T a little, but goes with your :) I read some magazine (parenting or something along those lines) which stated in an article that when your child is little and they don't want to hug/kiss/talk to a family member....don't make them. They are just following their intuition and that's a good thing. Makes you go hmmmm. Not that the people they are avoiding are bad, but might sense a bad mood, uneasiness, etc. I found it interesting.

Interesting thought.

I'm not sure I believe it is intuition but even if it isn't, having a history of being allowed to refuse contact will help the child follow their intuition when/if they start to have it.

Interesting thought.

I'm not sure I believe it is intuition but even if it isn't, having a history of being allowed to refuse contact will help the child follow their intuition when/if they start to have it.

It helps later in life too-many women are raped because they don't want to appear rude, even though they feel very uncomfortable with someone.

My four year old daughter is very outgoing and friendly and at times it worries me. In the little neighborhood near her Kita she is recognized all the time by people I have never met - usually they are tied to her school or classmates in some way. She asked me the other day if she could take the bus by herself to school. Yeah, right.

I asked her this morning, not sure what the response would be, what she would do if someone said they had a puppy and wanted to take her to see it. She said she would scream and run away. I told her, 'do whatever it takes, kick, scream, bite, punch, spit.' She said, 'yeah, I would spit but then I would ask him to make sure he doesn't tell my mom that I spit.'

Sorry, had to lighten this up a bit. This is such a sad case and I hope there is closure soon. I'm not sure about the parents connection or not but I know that meth can make people do crazy crazy things.

Long time lurker,the Madeleine McCann case brought me here and ive silently set back to chicken to post.I have wondered is it a possibility that the girls were offered a ride from a family friend or even just a local who offered to give them and the bikes a ride to the lake and when they arrived maybe he told them to let him get the bikes out,then drove off with the girls?The timing makes me think they possibly took a ride,and it wouldn't be a surprise if he /she offered them a soda or ice cream.

I've thought all along it has to be someone they knew...just my gut. I hope it means there's more of a chance they are still ok.:please:

:moo:

Long time lurker,the Madeleine McCann case brought me here and ive silently set back to chicken to post.I have wondered is it a possibility that the girls were offered a ride from a family friend or even just a local who offered to give them and the bikes a ride to the lake and when they arrived maybe he told them to let him get the bikes out,then drove off with the girls?The timing makes me think they possibly took a ride,and it wouldn't be a surprise if he /she offered them a soda or ice cream.

That makes a lot of sense and is very plausible. " Oh you girls must be hot and the lake is quite a ways away. How about I give you a ride ?" He might have just tossed the bikes from the back of the van. Someone else may have come along, seen the bikes, and took them for a little spin before dumping them where they were eventually found.

I can't find a link, but some news magazine did a piece where they staged an abduction- a tween boy was being put into a van while yelling out "You're not my daddy", and the producers recorded the whole thing with hidden cameras. It took several times before any passerbys attempted to help. Maybe things are a bit different in Iowa, but there's still the possibility someone saw something and doesn't want to come forward because they'd be blamed for inaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BossJoss