Deceased/Not Found MO - Renee Pernice, 35, Kansas City, 2 Jan 2009 - *S. Pernice guilty*

had to come online and check.. the news crew was just here knocking on doors in neighborhood asking asking reaction to him being arrested..

I hope and pray this is an opportunity for Renee's parents to get the children away from him.

Let's hope this puts pressure on him. Hopefully this will have someone come forward to give some information to put him away for good. On the news it said that, if convicted, he could spend 7 years in prison. Let's hope someone can come forward to make it the rest of his life.

I hope and pray this is an opportunity for Renee's parents to get the children away from him.

Amen to that! Glitterflits, would you insert the dates from the probable cause statement into your timeline? I take it the Mendez' are NOT the neighbors the boys spent the night with - ?

Why am I thinking that Shon needed the gun for some nefarious reason since his own had been taken long ago. Maybe he originally intended to secretly return it after using it which is why the alarm sensor was tampered with. What I can't figure out is why he returned it right to the owner at all. Anybody come up missing or found dead from a gunshot wound on 1-31 or 2-1? Maybe Shon needed to elimnate a witness...or two.

ETA: I see now what went down. Still wonder what he needed that gun for. I believe he intended to put the gun back which is why the alarm was tampered with. Notice that the weapon had been fired.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/18792990/d...kc1_break&ts=T&tmi=kc1_break_1_11350102252009

(snip)
"He told him, 'I know that you took my handgun.' He said, 'No, I didn't.' He said, 'Yeah, you did.' And he had gone up there to try and get it back, but (Pernice) wouldn't answer the door," Bringus said.

The couple filed a police report.

On Feb. 1, the woman told detectives that Pernice knocked on her front door. She said Pernice pulled the pistol from a pocket in his sweatshirt and gave her the gun, apologizing for taking it.

The owner of the gun told KMBC that when he got it back, the weapon had been fired.

Thank you goose13 for that link. Yes, NRN I will add them and post asap.

My question is why did he disable the alarm system? Was he planning on returning? If so, for what? To steal another gun or to do someone harm? If something happened to another woman in the neighborhood, maybe he thought people would think there was another person involved with Renee's case. By the timeline of events, it appears that the wife was home alone in the evening to early morning hours when her husband was at work. I'm glad she reported it to police, she could possibly have saved her or another person's life.

Hey SuziQ we must have been posting our alarm theories at the same time LOL! It could possibly be that he was planning on returning the gun.

O.K. Here is the updated timeline of facts. I didn't know how to update the previous one so I am reposting with the new info.

1. Renee was in the process of divorcing Shon.
2. Shon was to leave for the Reserves Friday, January 2nd and be gone for about three weeks. Renee went missing January 1st or was that the 2nd? Seems Shon can’t really remember, but was the last one to see her.
3. Renee’s father spoke to her about 7:00pm on January 1st. She said she was looking forward to spending the weekend with her children.
4. Shon did not report her missing, her family did after Renee’s sister could not get a hold of her and Shon said he hadn’t seen her since January 1st. He later told police, when questioned, that he had not seen her since January 2nd.
5. The boys spent the night of January 1st at a neighbor/friend’s house. Does anyone know what time Shon took them to the neighbor’s house?
6. Renee’s car was left at the house along with her purse, nursing ID, coat, and personal items.
7. On January 2nd, in the early daylight hours, a surveillance camera on a church in the vicinity of Gladstone Boulevard from St. John to Seventh or Eighth Street shows the white truck that police think is important to the investigation.
8. On January 2nd, about 12:00pm, Shon picked up his daughter from her mother’s house and took her back to his residence
9. On January 2nd, Shon’s own daughter did not feel comfortable staying with him at the house without Renee and emailed her mother about 9:30pm to ask her to come pick her up.
10. Shon entered a HazMat fire station around 4:30am on January 3rd that he was not assigned to through the backdoor.
11. Shon’s daughter’s mother picked her up the morning of January 3rd, shortening her visit with Shon. She noticed that Renee’s car was parked out front. She said this was unusual as it was usually parked in the garage.
12. Someone found Renee’s cell phone and called numbers on it, reaching her sister on January 3rd. The caller told Renee’s sister that he found the cell phone in the grass around Independence Ave. and Gladstone Blvd. The police picked up the phone from the caller where said he was calling from at 6th Street and Gladstone.
13. On January 5th, Police find documents, at Renee’s work, from several law forms detailing the divorce. They also find a picture of Shon and one of the children with an unknown woman.
14. Shon drove to a nearby park and released Renee’s dog and drove off on January 6th.
15. Evidence reports show 36 items of luminol/hem (blood) positive evidence were taken from the house along with a latex glove found in a coat pocket with stains and hair on it.
16. A fake Navy Seal ID with Shon’s name on it was taken from the house along with two other military IDs not belonging to Shon. i.e. Shows his character…
17. On January 24th, police released a picture of the white truck and a picture of a woman. They said they knew her identity, but wanted to know if she has any connection to the truck. She was later identified as Kelli Sharp, a school teacher from Overland Park, Kansas who teaches at John F. Kennedy Elementary School in Kansas City, Kansas. She was not the unidentified woman in the photograph found at Renee’s work.
18. On January 28th Kelli Sharp, accompanied by her attorney, was interviewed by police.
19. On January 30th Shon was at a neighbor's house, the Mendez residence. He was alone in the basement for several minutes. After he left the residence, Mrs. Mendez attempted to set her alarm system and discovered the door to the basement had been tampered with.
20. About 3:00am on January 31st, Mr. Mendez arrived home from work. He walked into the basement and noticed that the alarm sensor of the door had been disabled. He also noticed that a .22 caliber Walther semi-automatic gun was missing. Mr. & Mrs. Mendez then made a police report.
21. On February 1st, Shon brought the .22 caliber Walther back to the Mendez home. He gave it to Mrs. Mendez and apologized for taking the gun. Mrs. Mendez took the gun and notified police. They told police that the gun had been fired while Shon had it.
22. Based on evidence Renee’s case is officially changed from missing person to death investigation on February 5th.
23. On February 18th, it is discovered that Shon has posted on a dating website looking for a “life” partner. In it he says that he is divorced which is not true. He also says he has two sons and does not mention a daughter.
24. Shon is arrested on February 25th for stealing a firearm from his neighbor.

In addition, it should be noted that Shon has not participated in searching for Renee. He will only speak through his lawyer and has made no pleas for help in finding his wife.

Hey SuziQ we must have been posting our alarm theories at the same time LOL! It could possibly be that he was planning on returning the gun.

Lol, great minds think alike and all that...

Hmmm the reason for him needing/taking the gun and it being fired?

I haven't been following this case super close but, is there any way that he could have been holding Renee somewhere? Maybe he was going to frame someone that either visits the gun owners house, or someone who lives there?

Kel

Based on the evidence they have the prosecuting attorney has ruled Renee's case a death investigation , unfortunately I do not think it is probable that Shon is holding her somewhere.

I do question why he stole the neighbor's gun and tampered with their alarm and back door. Based on what we know, he stole the gun two days after Kelli Sharp talked with investigators. Since LE took all of his guns, I wonder if he might have used it to threaten her. Another possibility is that he had someone else in mind to harm. Possibly even the neighbor i.e. the back door and alarm tampered with for reentry. JMHO : )

Fron Missouri Courts CaseNet website: https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/searchCases.do?searchType=name

Here is the docket information for Shon's arrest:

02/25/2009 Docket Entry: Case Filed by Affidavit

Docket Entry: Bond Set

Docket Entry: Probable Cause Statement Filed

Docket Entry: Judge Assigned

Docket Entry: Warrant Issued
Text: Document ID: 09-CYARW-207, for PERNICE, SHON ANDREW;

Docket Entry: Warrant Served
Text: Document ID - 09-CYARW-207; Served To - PERNICE, SHON ANDREW; Server - ; Served Date - 25-FEB-09; Served Time - 00:00:00; Service Type - Sheriff Department; Reason Description - Served

02/25/2009 Docket Entry: Entry of Appearance Filed
Filing Party: VERNON , ERIC EUGENE

02/26/2009 Docket Entry: Motion for Bond Reduction
Filing Party: VERNON , ERIC EUGENE

Docket Entry: Arraignment Held
Text: State appears by Prosecuting Attorney Dan White, defendant appears in person and by attorney Eric Vernon. Defendant arraigned. Defendant waives reading of information and enters a plea of not guilty.

Docket Entry: Bond Reduction Order
Text: Evidence heard on Motion to Reduce Bond. After presentation of evidence, bond is approved @ $25,000.00 @ 10%. Defendant will not be in possession of firearms while case is pending. DTN/ch
Filing Party: NORRIS , DONALD T.

Docket Entry: Hearing Scheduled
Associated Events: 03/31/2009 , 09:00:00 - Hearing

BOLD by me

Pernice out on bond

Arrested for allegedly stealing handgun

Shon Pernice, a medic with the Independence Fire Department, is out of a Clay County jail today after posting 10 percent of a $25,000 bond for allegedly stealing a neighbor’s handgun.
According to the Clay County Prosecutor’s office, Pernice pleaded not guilty Thursday morning to one count of stealing a firearm, a Class C felony. He made the plea during an arraignment in Clay County Circuit Court.

http://www.examiner.net/news/x844646820/Pernice-out-on-bond

Does anyone know if this is the same neighbor where the kids stayed over New Years Eve-ish?

with the arsenal that this dude had it is amazing he would steal one from a neighbor! Did everyone read the LE docs/what was taken from the home? He could have supplied a small country with arms!

Praying for Renee! I cannot believe there has not been an arrest yet in this case!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back