Identified! NJ - Blairstown, Cedar Ridge Cemetery, 'Princess Doe', WhtFem 14-18, 36UFNJ, peacock skirt, Jul'82 - Dawn Olanick *charges*

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/47ufnj.html
Tiger lady

If she was local woman I think most people went to Shotsys Tattoo in New Foundland NJ
maybe Captain Jacks rte 23 Butler NJ or Tattoo 46 in Dover NJ .

Tattoo 46
We are located at 310 HWY 46,
Dover NJ 07801
Only 3 minutes from Interstate 80, call for directions!!

Tattoo 46 Has been in operation since 1987. We are state approved and health department inspected.

We do all styles of tattooing, including traditional, old-school, new-school, tribal and celtic.

Shotzys Tattoo used to be in New Foundland NJ (HE used to live down the street) from me .

Captain Jacks

http://www.captainjackstattoos.com/

I don't know if they keep records. I bet they know if the artist has some kind of distinct way of recognizing his or her work.

Just a quick update before the holiday. The list of possible matches currently posted on the website is being compared by LE. I will update any rule-outs as soon as I get the information. Should have some updates within the next few weeks. Thank you and happy holidays.

IHadCabinFever--good point about tattoo artists and their work. While I'm not a tattoo artist, I would probably be able to identify a picture I drew versus what someone else did even if the picture in question was 15+ years old.

A case in point came when I was cleaning my attic out and found a box of stuff from first grade. We used to make pencils for everyone out of paper for some reason. Some of the ones up there were from my buddies. There were also some I had made. I could tell who did what. Keep in mind I found the box in 2005 and the pencils were drawn during the 1993-1994 school year. The same was true of other artwork, as we all used to give little cards to each other.

If it's a parlor with more than one artist, however (I have no idea how tattoo parlors operate), I'd wonder if the guy who did it was still there. Given the evidence he would have done this between 1987 and 1991. If people come and go from tattoo parlors like they do from barber shops, that may have changed. Of the three barbers at my shop who have cut my hair since I was a lad, one has died, one has moved to another shop across town, and one is still there. (I don't go to this shop much anymore because I found another guy I like, but even at his shop he's lost a co-worker).

Anyway, since this thread was originally about Princess Doe, could it have been possible she was from Virginia or the Carolinas? I know there was suspicion that she worked at a hotel in Maryland, but could she have been a more local runaway, perhaps?

Anyway, since this thread was originally about Princess Doe, could it have been possible she was from Virginia or the Carolinas? I know there was suspicion that she worked at a hotel in Maryland, but could she have been a more local runaway, perhaps?

She could have been. Seems she must have been older to be able to move around and not be identified by now. I don't think she was 14 ish I think she had to be later teens.
I still am confused about her hair being blonde in the first pic and the later updated one shows her hair brown. Wasn't she only there in the graveyard a week?

Just an FYI that the website has been updated with a few more ruleouts. Making progress and hopefully getting closer.

Hi all,

Regarding Princess Doe...are there currently or have there been suspects in her death? I am new here and just leanring to navigate the threads. Can someone point me to relevant links to Princess Doe and/or possible suspects? Thank you.

LionRun said:
Hi all,

Regarding Princess Doe...are there currently or have there been suspects in her death? I am new here and just leanring to navigate the threads. Can someone point me to relevant links to Princess Doe and/or possible suspects? Thank you.
There were people questioned in the case but no "official" suspects and no arrests to date. So far, most of the effort has been directed at identifying her.

Hi Pdoe,

I'm new on this forum and ran across this case. I understand that the main focus has been to identify Princess Doe. But, if it is okay I want to bring up what I remember about a serial killer in that area and two young women he was convicted of murdering.

James Koedatich at one time lived in Florida killed his roommate, went to prison, got out on parole, then moved to Morristown New Jersey.

In November of 1982, he abducted 18 year old, Parsippany Hills High School student, Amie Hoffman, at night, in the parking lot of the Morris County Mall where she was leaving to go home from her part-time job. He sexually assaulted her, and stabbed her to death. He left her body in some kind of pond (retention pond?) (I think?) somewhere in Morris County, which is close to Warren County.

In December of 1982 he abducted, sexually assaulted, then stabbed to death 25 year old Deirdre O'Brien. He left her for dead at a truck stop off Interstate 80 in Warren County. I think she died in a trucker's arms. I do not recall where she was abducted from.

As I recall James Koedatich was caught because he called the police to report that he was (pulled over? or stabbed?--very strange) by someone posing as a police officer. From there the police found evidence in his car of his gruesome acts.

From what I've read in the Princess Doe posts the one thing that may not fit is that Princess Doe was apparently killed by blunt force trauma, and Amie and Deirdre were stabbed. But the dates, locations, and victim types have my eyes open.

I remember this because I lived in Morris Plains/Parsippany, NJ back then. Some details are now fuzzy to me. But, I remember much of those days clearly. Girls and women in the area were terrified prior to that monster's capture. The Parsippany Hills Police Department conducted a safety seminar one Saturday. To this day I adhere to those things I learned. And so to now does my 18 year old daughter.

I wonder if LE has ever investigated Koedatich as a suspect in Princess Doe's murder. I believe Koedatich was sentenced to death. I have no idea of the outcome in that respect.

I don't mean to shift focus away from learning Princess Doe's identity. And there is probably only a slim chance that the cases are related. But; if they are related, more may be learned about Princess Doe's identity based on what is known about victims of the same killer.

Long shot at best. What are your thoughts?

LionRun said:
Hi Pdoe,

I'm new on this forum and ran across this case. I understand that the main focus has been to identify Princess Doe. But, if it is okay I want to bring up what I remember about a serial killer in that area and two young women he was convicted of murdering.

James Koedatich at one time lived in Florida killed his roommate, went to prison, got out on parole, then moved to Morristown New Jersey.

In November of 1982, he abducted 18 year old, Parsippany Hills High School student, Amie Hoffman, at night, in the parking lot of the Morris County Mall where she was leaving to go home from her part-time job. He sexually assaulted her, and stabbed her to death. He left her body in some kind of pond (retention pond?) (I think?) somewhere in Morris County, which is close to Warren County.

In December of 1982 he abducted, sexually assaulted, then stabbed to death 25 year old Deirdre O'Brien. He left her for dead at a truck stop off Interstate 80 in Warren County. I think she died in a trucker's arms. I do not recall where she was abducted from.

As I recall James Koedatich was caught because he called the police to report that he was (pulled over? or stabbed?--very strange) by someone posing as a police officer. From there the police found evidence in his car of his gruesome acts.

From what I've read in the Princess Doe posts the one thing that may not fit is that Princess Doe was apparently killed by blunt force trauma, and Amie and Deirdre were stabbed. But the dates, locations, and victim types have my eyes open.

I remember this because I lived in Morris Plains/Parsippany, NJ back then. Some details are now fuzzy to me. But, I remember much of those days clearly. Girls and women in the area were terrified prior to that monster's capture. The Parsippany Hills Police Department conducted a safety seminar one Saturday. To this day I adhere to those things I learned. And so to now does my 18 year old daughter.

I wonder if LE has ever investigated Koedatich as a suspect in Princess Doe's murder. I believe Koedatich was sentenced to death. I have no idea of the outcome in that respect.

I don't mean to shift focus away from learning Princess Doe's identity. And there is probably only a slim chance that the cases are related. But; if they are related, more may be learned about Princess Doe's identity based on what is known about victims of the same killer.

Long shot at best. What are your thoughts?
Sorry for the delay in responding to this post. I have heard the name Koedatich mentioned a few times but I honestly do not know if he was ever questioned about Princess Doe. I can certainly try and find out though, the dates do seem to match up (depending on when he moved there.) It would be helpful if we could find a time line. Do you know of any sites that discuss his crimes? I have been putting most of my effort into the identity so far but certainly finding out who committed the crime might answer a lot of questions about the victim. Let me do some research and thank you for your contribution.

Deirdre was driving home in Morris Plains/Mt. Freedom area.....Koeditich followed her. It was at a time when we were all afraid of traveling in that area. Afraid to go to that Mall, in Morris Plains after Ammie was taken and murdered.
There was a monster on the loose....Deirdre O'Brian was a brave girl. Even having been just attacked by a man she did not know: At the truck stop on route 80 .......she crawled up to another unknown stranger ....to his truck for help. God Bless her. The truck driver tried to get help for her. It was too late to save her. He(Koeditich) seemed to be more of a vicious man than the person who left Princess Doe for dead in Blairstown. But, worth looking into.
The articles on Koeditich were in the Morristown Daily Record.......if you have a way to look in the archives of that News Paper. It was all front page news.......

There is not a whole lot on the web about Koedatich. What I stated is based on memory. It is still worth checking out. A long shot at best; but, it warrants a closer look.

SundayRain, it was a scary place to live while that twisted thing was running loose. The Guardian Angels from NYC actually came out to the Morris County Mall to train locals on how to protect the citizens. Were you also living in the area too? And what you said about Deirdre O'Brien, and how she struggled to reach that truck driver after her attack I now remember also. I remember thinking it was so sad, and such a shame. She made it alive to the trucker; but, did not survive.

If anyone knows anything about the case, or knows if Koedatich was ever executed or not please post. If more is learned about the possibility of Koedatich being involved, then he can either be ruled in or out, and the search for the Blairstown Pricess Doe can progress.

Hi guys,

All of this talk brings one other question to mind. Is there any website out there that tracks the when/where of serial killers while they were free? I'm guessing that many victims are never found or associated to a killer just by dumb luck. Does anybody know of a resource that might give dates and a gernal location? Perhaps I'll put another page on my site to list the where abouts of various known killers at the time. Maybe we can rule some of them out as well.

Thoughts?

http://dui1.com/DuiCaseLawDetail19199/Page2.htm

State v. Koedatich
4/19/1990

State from resubmitting both the "outrageously wanton and vile" and the murder "to escape detection" factors. The trial court agreed, holding that those death-penalty decisions barred the State from charging any aggravating factors at resentencing that the jury in the first penalty phase did not unanimously find to exist.

II.

We note that the Capital Punishment Act, N.J.S.A. 2C:11-3 (the Act), offers no specific guidance on the question whether aggravating factors not unanimously found to exist by the jury at the initial sentencing proceeding can be presented at resentencing following a remand. Nor have our prior decisions concerning the presentation of aggravating factors at resentencing dealt specifically with the issue raised by this appeal.

In Biegenwald II, supra, 106 N.J. 13, 524 A.2d 130, we affirmed defendant's conviction for the murder of Anne Olesiewicz, but reversed his death sentence because the trial court had improperly instructed the jury in the penalty phase. Accordingly, we remanded the case for a new sentencing proceeding, observing that " esentencing cannot be considered double-jeopardy where the first sentence was a death sentence and the evidence was sufficient." Id. at 68, 524 A.2d 130.

At the initial penalty-phase proceeding in Biegenwald II, the jury unanimously found the existence of two aggravating factors: (1) that defendant had previously been convicted of murder, N.J.S.A. 2C:11-3c(4)(a); and (2) that "the murder was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible or inhuman in that it

involved torture, depravity of mind, or an aggravated battery to the victim." N.J.S.A. 2C:11-3c(4)(c) ("c(4)(c)"). We held that principles of double jeopardy barred the State from proving the existence of the "aggravated battery" or "torture" components of the c(4)(c) aggravating circumstance at resentencing because there was insufficient evidence in the record to support those components. 106 N.J. at 51, 524 A.2d 130. We noted, however, that the State would not be barred from offering evidence of "depravity of mind" to establish aggravating factor c(4)(c). Id. at 52, 524 A.2d 130.

In Biegenwald III, supra, 110 N.J. 521, 542 A.2d 442, the issue was whether the State could introduce as an aggravating factor at the resentencing hearing defendant's conviction for the murder of William Ward, which was obtained after the Olesiewicz conviction. We held that admission of the Ward conviction at resentencing complied with the double-jeopardy clauses of both the federal and state constitutions and with principles of fundamental fairness. Id. at 540-41, 542 A.2d 442. As dictum in that opinion, we offered this guideline:

If the sentencing jury in the first trial specifically rejects an aggravating factor or an appellate court finds that the State failed to establish by sufficient evidence the existence of an aggravating factor at the original trial, the aggravating factor[,] or that part of the aggravating factor rejected by the jury, cannot be used at the resentencing proceeding. [ Id. at 542, 542 A.2d 442.]

Neither Biegenwald II nor Biegenwald III, however, is dispositive of the issue before us. Therefore, we begin our analysis by considering the question in the context of double-jeopardy jurisprudence. Because we have held the double-jeopardy clauses of the state and federal constitutions to be substantially coextensive, State
21 pages
click on the link to read the rest

Sundayrain said:
Deirdre was driving home in Morris Plains/Mt. Freedom area.....Koeditich followed her. It was at a time when we were all afraid of traveling in that area. Afraid to go to that Mall, in Morris Plains after Ammie was taken and murdered.
There was a monster on the loose....Deirdre O'Brian was a brave girl. Even having been just attacked by a man she did not know: At the truck stop on route 80 .......she crawled up to another unknown stranger ....to his truck for help. God Bless her. The truck driver tried to get help for her. It was too late to save her. He(Koeditich) seemed to be more of a vicious man than the person who left Princess Doe for dead in Blairstown. But, worth looking into.
The articles on Koeditich were in the Morristown Daily Record.......if you have a way to look in the archives of that News Paper. It was all front page news.......

Deirdre O'Brian was a brave girl. Even having been just attacked by a man she did not know: At the truck stop on route 80 .......she crawled up to another unknown stranger ....to his truck for help. God Bless her. The truck driver tried to get help for her. It was too late to save her.

Oh my God.

It's all just as vicious. I don't think anyone would ever imagine the level of fear and panic these girls endured. It is possible he is connected to Pdoe.

It is unbeleivable the amount of Police hours put into these crimes multiplied by years and the amount of stress endured by knowing all the details of the crimes of young girls like this. Then it just keeps coming. Still no closure. More victims and More monsters. What laws need to be modified or changed in order to get at the heart of these type of crimes? There has to be too many road blocks .
Somewhere in an article there was mention of a man that was going to Pdoes grave. If she is still unkown , who would be drawn to her?
Why would a man stand over a grave of a unkown girl?
He must have known her somehow. He knows something. It's guilt that draws him. What other reason would it be?

ihadcabinfever said:
Can you beleive 21 pages full of this muderers rights. WTF? Where is there any rights for these victims? Does anyone know ?
I so agree. I am beyond sick and tired of convicted criminals' right taking precedence over known victims' rights. When we have a chance to change the law in favor of victims rights I say, "Let's Do it!".

LionRun

ihadcabinfever said:
Deirdre O'Brian was a brave girl. Even having been just attacked by a man she did not know: At the truck stop on route 80 .......she crawled up to another unknown stranger ....to his truck for help. God Bless her. The truck driver tried to get help for her. It was too late to save her.

Oh my God.

It's all just as vicious. I don't think anyone would ever imagine the level of fear and panic these girls endured. It is possible he is connected to Pdoe.

It is unbeleivable the amount of Police hours put into these crimes multiplied by years and the amount of stress endured by knowing all the details of the crimes of young girls like this. Then it just keeps coming. Still no closure. More victims and More monsters. What laws need to be modified or changed in order to get at the heart of these type of crimes? There has to be too many road blocks .
Somewhere in an article there was mention of a man that was going to Pdoes grave. If she is still unkown , who would be drawn to her?
Why would a man stand over a grave of a unkown girl?
He must have known her somehow. He knows something. It's guilt that draws him. What other reason would it be?

What happened to those lovely young ladies still haunts me. I lived in fear along with many others in that area during that time. I too think it is possible that Koedatich was involved in Princess Doe's murder. It is a long shot as I have stated because the possibilities are many. But, I think it warrants further research.

Deirdre was left at a truck stop off the major Rt. 80, in the same area where Princess Doe was found. Amy was abducted from Morris County Mall and then found in Randolf Township (which is also in at least the direction of where Princess Doe was found). The time frame fits perfectly. They were all young women. Hmm, I really do wonder.

LionRun

LionRun said:
What happened to those lovely young ladies still haunts me. I lived in fear along with many others in that area during that time. I too think it is possible that Koedatich was involved in Princess Doe's murder. It is a long shot as I have stated because the possibilities are many. But, I think it warrants further research.

Deirdre was left at a truck stop off the major Rt. 80, in the same area where Princess Doe was found. Amy was abducted from Morris County Mall and then found in Randolf Township (which is also in at least the direction of where Princess Doe was found). The time frame fits perfectly. They were all young women. Hmm, I really do wonder.

LionRun
I'll do some research and see what I can find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288