NV NV - Pershing Co, 'Valerie Doe' WhtFem 25-50, UP7635, in desert, May'91

Nevada investigators are hoping a forensic sketch will help identify skeletal remains found more than a decade ago in the Black Rock Desert.

The remains of the white woman were found in a shallow grave on May 25th, 1991. Also found at the site were a bracelet engraved with the name Valerie and a second, yellow bracelet in the shape of a sea serpent with abalone shell inlay.

A medical examiner determined she died of one or more gunshot wounds to the head. Anthropologists estimate she could have been in her mid 20s or possibly even in her 50s when she died.

A forensic artist with the Oakland County Sheriff's Office in Michigan recently completed a sketch of what the woman may have looked like.

Link to drawing
http://dps.nv.gov/ValerieDoe.htm

OMG.

That's absolutely eerie and I cannot believe both ended up on Doe without someone on the Doe staff or LE not picking it up. I think you've found a match. Have you called it in? Please do.

I have never called one in before. Not sure how to do it. If someone else would like to or walk me through it would really appriciate it!

That looks like a match to me! Good sleuthing!

Rccook, I would call this in as a possible match and let authorities try to determine if Valerie is this Princess Doe. Thank you for trying to help identify the missing:blowkiss:.

The Nevada Department of Public Safety has an email contact. We don't know if it is still a good contact, but I would start there. I would briefly describe that you might have found a match and provide the info and links from both pages as you did here. I would be more than happy to help you or make any phone calls if that becomes necessary (i.e. if the email contact is no longer good). Please PM me if you have questions or need help.

Interesting that the missing Valerie's race is listed as unknown. Perhaps she was adopted or had no family to be able to give an idea of what her race might be. She looks Caucasian to me, but I wouldn't know if she had a mixed race or Hispanic ancestry by her picture for sure.

This might be a tough match to make. The missing Valerie has no dentals. And, if they don't have a family member to give mitochondrial DNA then a match may be hard to make. I am concerned because the missing Valerie's race is listed as unknown so there may be no maternal relatives from which to get a sample of mitochondrial DNA. The Princess Doe (Princess Valerie if it is okay with all to call her that) does have mitochondrial DNA available for comparison, and I hope that there is someone in the missing Valerie's family to offer mitochondrial DNA.

No matter I would turn it in and hope that if Princess Valerie is Valerie that they can ultimately determine that.

ETA: Princess Valerie had two pieces of distinctive jewelry. Perhaps if the authorities believe this may me a match that the jewelry may help to identify Princess Valerie.

The best way to find out is to contact the Doe Network first- they have their own database on what has been compared/tested and what has not and the results. They will use their personal contacts with LE to initiate it.

if there is a match, it also ensures that the DN gets some sort of credit- which they also deserve.

audrey77 said:
The best way to find out is to contact the Doe Network first- they have their own database on what has been compared/tested and what has not and the results. They will use their personal contacts with LE to initiate it.

if there is a match, it also ensures that the DN gets some sort of credit- which they also deserve.

Thank you audrey:). I am grateful for The Doe Network, btw. I once worked with a very helpful volunteer there on a missing person's page to update/correct it. She was wonderful! A number of matches have been made as a result of that organization and their site. Kudos to them!

Prior to discussion about the possibility that Valerie Larkin and Princess Valerie may have been already been submitted as a potential match rccook555 submitted this via email posted at

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/387ufnv.html

This was the reply that rccook received.

Thank you for the response. We have looked at Ms. Larkin as a possible match in the past and as of today, we have not been able to either confirm or eliminated Ms. Larkin as a match. As a side note, Ms. Larkin came to our attention from another response we had received from our doenetwork.com listing.

It was my concern that because Valerie Larkin had no dentals and especially that her race was listed as unknown that it may also be that they may not have available mitochondrial DNA available to compare with the mitochondrial DNA obtained from Princess Valerie. This is only speculation on my part, however.

It is frustrating for all when a match has not been able to be made or ruled out when similarities may exist between a missing person and unidentified remains.

Incidentally, I found this thread on Valerie Larkin in case anyone is interested in reading. The cases may not be related--yet we do not know at this time.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34073&highlight=Larkin

Well that's good to know LionRun! I believe this may very well be a match and I'm happy to know it hasn't been ruled out completely. Do you know if they can do DNA?

Well that's good to know LionRun! I believe this may very well be a match and I'm happy to know it hasn't been ruled out completely. Do you know if they can do DNA?

Fairy, I don't know if it is good news yet, unfortunately. My take from the beginning (Post 6 explains my initial concerns) was that there may be some possible issues with making a good comparison between Valerie Larkin. The email reply that rccook555 received indicates that there in deed may be some problems preventing a reliable way to compare the two.

Thank you for the response. We have looked at Ms. Larkin as a possible match in the past and as of today, we have not been able to either confirm or eliminated Ms. Larkin as a match. As a side note, Ms. Larkin came to our attention from another response we had received from our doenetwork.com listing.

I have no idea what the exact reason (s) is factually as to why they have not been able to confirm whether or not Valerie Larkin is Princess Valerie. But, I think it is possible they may not have the type of DNA (mitochondrial must be used in this case) they need from a maternal relative of Valerie Larkin. There are also no dentals for Valerie Larkin--so dentals cannot be used either. This case is a tough one, and it will be so sad if there truly is a match but that it cannot be made. I hope and pray that I am mistaken.

I am not real good at posting so if I did something wrong just let me know, I am also not real good with matches, but I love to try........so give me some feed back here. I e-mailed Rick Brown in Nevada the two links to check out, but he is away till the end of the month.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/387ufnv.html

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered in May 26, 1991 in Black Rock Desert, Pershing County, Nevada
Estimated Date of Death: Between 1987 and 1991
Skeletal Remains
Died from a gunshot wound or multiple gunshot to the head

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 25 - 50 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1" - 5'3"; unknown weight
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; unknown eye color.
Dentals: Available
Clothing/Jewelry: In the gravesite was found a bracelet with the name "Valerie". Also found was a bracelet in the shape of a sea serpent and having an abalone inlay. The victim was dressed in KIKKU brand denim jeans which was manufactured in England and which bore a waist size of 30 inches; a Stage brand black blouse which was manufactured in Turkey and which read "one size fits all"; a dark colored camisole slip.
Fingerprints: Not available
Scars, Tattoos: Unknown
DNA: Mitrocondrial Available

"Valerie Doe" was located in Pershing County, Nevada on May 25, 1991 in a shallow grave by three travelers in the Black Rock Desert.

Valerie Ann Larkin Missing: Feb-May 1985

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/larkin_valerie.html

It looks like an interesting match.

Things that stood out to me--the bracelet with the name Valerie on the UID. Valerie had been traveling when she went missing. Height and hair are right on. The eye/brows and noses really caught me. And the hairline. I wish we had a profile or more photos of Valerie.

I think both the photo of Valerie and the UID sketch are both not that clear, and I think it has enough markers that make it worth checking out further.

Looks like a good match to me. Maybe try contacting the San Bernardino County Sheriffs' Department as well - they may be able to get a faster response from someone in Nevada, even if it's just someone sending them dentals and/or DNA for a ruleout.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back