NC NC - Virginia Wood, Kelly Gaskins & Ervin Williams, Chocowinity, 2007

In the show someone said in Ervin's brother's statement he tried to get the bro and his gf down there to Mexico and said he would never be coming back. The brother and his gf decided to stay in the USA.
I saw the show and was unclear on this statement. Which of these was the impression of those who return by bus?
  1. Are you kidding me? He's moving!? We have to provide our return trip? Let's start back now to save on bus tickets and incidental costs. You should have told us you were moving and we would have to provide our own return.
  2. This guy's nuts! He's talking like he thinks we want to move to a foreign country. It's obvious we didn't make arrangements for that. He's either crazy or he's talking about taking us hostage. Let's get away from him before we work out which brand of weirdness he means.

I'm so surprised there's not more information/discussion about this case on here. I'm re-watching their disappeared episode right now. I think the most likely answer is that something happened to them in Mexico--especially given the years they were there--it was a scary time in Mexico at that point. I hope they are found to give their families some closure.

Watched the Disappeared episode today. I live a few miles away and have never heard of this case.

I just watched the Disappeared episode and I have to agree with everyone. Either they were killed by drug dealers or or other not so savory folks. So sad.

so many of the cases are so sad i hate that families sometimes go without ever knowing what happend to their loved ones..... i agree though i do not believe that the girls are alive i'm not sure about the guy but imo the girls or at least Virginia would have returned/called or something by now

I just watched this on Netflix (ID) - I am little confused about where Kelly & Ervin were living - were they in Texas when Ginny went on spring break - or were they already in Mexico? As he told his little brother he was going to Mexico permanently and Kelly's mom got a call that she wasn't happy there - when was that? Ginny told her mom they were working at a motel in Texas - but the attorney/investigator had information that they were working at a small motel in Mexico. Did they were follow up on the motel in Texas where they supposedly were before Ginny went to visit?
SO either they lied to Ginny about where they were living or she lied to her mom about where she was going..... is this confusing to anyone else? Thanks.....

Bump for the girls! I am watching their episode now and hope they are found!

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13387

^^ Skeletal remains age 18- 25 found in a homeless encampment in Houston in 2014. Estimated year of death is 2005- 2014. The height and hair color would be a fit for Kelly Gaskins. There isn't much else to compare, as the remains were skeletal. Now, I don't know of any logical reason as to why Kelly would have been in Houston yet out-of-contact with her family. Sex-trafficking and the addiction issues that often come with it could lead to such a situation, but I'm not aware of any implications of that in this case. FWIW, Houston would have been along the driving route from Brownsville, TX back to Chocowinity, NC.

Thoughts? It has always been my opinion and Ginni and Kelly probably never made it back across the border into TX from Mexico.

Greetings everyone! I am new here as far as posting but I've always been a lurker. I found this site after my good friends Kelly Gaskins and Virginia Wood (Ginni) went missing. I just wanted to let everyone know we are re-opening the investigation and trying some new things. We've not given up hope!

Here are some resources:

Kelly Gaskins Official Website - Maintained by myself
Kelly Gaskins Official Facebook - Maintained by her mother

View attachment 69182

:welcome6:

^^ Skeletal remains age 18- 25 found in a homeless encampment in Houston in 2014. Estimated year of death is 2005- 2014. The height and hair color would be a fit for Kelly Gaskins. There isn't much else to compare, as the remains were skeletal. Now, I don't know of any logical reason as to why Kelly would have been in Houston yet out-of-contact with her family. Sex-trafficking and the addiction issues that often come with it could lead to such a situation, but I'm not aware of any implications of that in this case. FWIW, Houston would have been along the driving route from Brownsville, TX back to Chocowinity, NC.

Thoughts? It has always been my opinion and Ginni and Kelly probably never made it back across the border into TX from Mexico.

Kelly and Ginni's family (females within the family more specifically) have entered their DNA into multiple DB's including Namus. After reading that it is my conclusion that there would have been a match if it was either of them but it is definitely making note of so thank you.

As far as what I think happened? Well I'm to close to this to have a non-biased or compromised opinion so i try not to speculate. At least not till we have more evidence or follow down more leads. I'm always happy to hear other peoples thoughts though!

FindTheGirls, thank you!! I should have assumed that :). I am not sure what I think happened. I do think that being young and naive in Mexico is a bad combination and I am afraid that perhaps Ervin (maybe the girls too) felt invincible down there, the end result of which may not have been good.

In the Disappeared episode about this case, I felt that Ginni was portrayed in a more favorable light than Kelly. IMO, Ginni was portrayed to be much more innocent then Kelly and I feel that it was perhaps suggested that Ginni would never have chosen to fall out of contact with her family if not for the influence of Kelly/Ervin (or if she were harmed, of course). What are your feelings on this, since you knew both of the girls? I know you said you don't like to speculate, but I would be interested in hearing how accurately you think the Disappeared program portrayed both Ginni and Kelly.

FindTheGirls, thank you!! I should have assumed that :). I am not sure what I think happened. I do think that being young and naive in Mexico is a bad combination and I am afraid that perhaps Ervin (maybe the girls too) felt invincible down there, the end result of which may not have been good.

In the Disappeared episode about this case, I felt that Ginni was portrayed in a more favorable light than Kelly. IMO, Ginni was portrayed to be much more innocent then Kelly and I feel that it was perhaps suggested that Ginni would never have chosen to fall out of contact with her family if not for the influence of Kelly/Ervin (or if she were harmed, of course). What are your feelings on this, since you knew both of the girls? I know you said you don't like to speculate, but I would be interested in hearing how accurately you think the Disappeared program portrayed both Ginni and Kelly.

I couldn't agree with you more! Ginni mostly kept to her self unless ofc she was with her friends. She only had a few. Kelly being her best friend. She was just as wild as Kelly. They did everything together. By wild though I really mean not much more so than any other teenager. Ervin was quite a bit more though. On every level. Ginni and Kelly had been talking about leaving for years. They wanted to get a hippie bus and travel the country.

I believe they are alive. 'Alive and well' I do not know. If they are 'all' alive I do not know if they would all still be together after this many years. Kelly and Ginni would ofc still be with each other. If one of them left and/or got tired of the life style the other would soon follow and come home or in the very least call home.

Ervin on the other hand.. I just don't know. I know for certain he did not take them down there to kill them. He was wild but not a killer. He had a rough family. His younger brother was my best friend growing up. Hubert. Hubert Killed him self a few years after they left. His dad killed him self right before he left. Their mother is, for a lack of a better word, trash. Horrible lady. When we were younger she use to beat us pretty bad when I'd come over, loaded guns all over the house, drugs, etc,.

Kelly was my first love. We were kids but when me and Kelly were 14 we ran away together. I had got into some trouble prior. Didn't get to far for too long though. Kelly's mom was great. I've seen a lot of posts about how Kelly's mom could be to blame for this and that's just ridiculous. Me and Kelly both had great upbringings. We also both thought for our selves. Our actions were our own. Not our families. When we got caught I was arrested and she went home. I had some things prior that I did. I ended up doing 2 years in Juvy ironically with my best friend and Ervins brother Hubert. Me and Kelly got back together occasionally when I got out and then she just disappeared.

I don't know a lot about Ginni. We were friends but mostly through Kelly. I can tell you this for sure though. If she left to drive down there for spring break then it is my belief she had no intention of coming back. She was having a hard time at school making friends.

EDIT: I think that if something DID happen to any of them neither Kelly nor Ervin are to blame but that they were ALL victims to an outside power. Ginni and Kelly were JUST as involved and plotted to leave together.

I just watched this on Netflix (ID) - I am little confused about where Kelly & Ervin were living - were they in Texas when Ginny went on spring break - or were they already in Mexico? As he told his little brother he was going to Mexico permanently and Kelly's mom got a call that she wasn't happy there - when was that? Ginny told her mom they were working at a motel in Texas - but the attorney/investigator had information that they were working at a small motel in Mexico. Did they were follow up on the motel in Texas where they supposedly were before Ginny went to visit?
SO either they lied to Ginny about where they were living or she lied to her mom about where she was going..... is this confusing to anyone else? Thanks.....
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused. It says Kelly and Ervin were running away from criminal charges when they left in January, so you'd think they would have fled to Mexico immediately and not stopped in Brownsville or returned there to meet Ginni. The ID show, though, does say she took her birth certificate just in case she decided to enter Mexcio. It sounds like Kelly and Ervin were in Mexcio and Ginni knew it prior to the driving there.

It said they were getting mobile phone pings from several cities in Mexico. The camera showed a phone record from Monterrey, which is 200 miles away from Matamoros, way to far for a cellphone ping. If the phong pings on a tower in a city, the phone is somewhere nearby, litteraly line-of-sight or just over the horizon.

I was also completely confused by Ervin's brother and sister deciding halfway to Texas to turn back when Ervin said they're not coming back. This makes no sense. What did they think the purpose of the trip was? If they were moving to a foreign country, you'd think they would arrange to move their stuff, have an apartment lined up, and have some potential places to look for a job lined up. You wouldn't just move to a foreign city with no plan. If Ervin's siblings thought it was just vacation, maybe they packed clothes and enough cash for a week and didn't make arrangements to empty their house or whatever. Maybe they were just mindlessly running away from the tragedy of their father dying, giving no thought to tomorrow.

Is the idea that Ervin was a fugitive from serious charges, so he was just running from potential jail time? Kelly was violating probation but not really a hardcore fugitive. Was Ginni just a lost soul, hurt from the breakups and struggles to find friends, that she felt the urge to chuck it all and go live with her friend? Maybe most of her Ginni's stuff was at her mom's house, so she didn't feel the need to make any special arrangements if she was going to go spend a few months or maybe years in Mexico. She told her mom she didn't like the unpaved roads and so on. Did she say that as if she were contemplated moving there? Or was it just a bad vacation?

I'm with you in that I do not understand the first bit of why any of them besides Erwin was in Mexico. Was it more like they were tourists or more like they were looking for work at hotels where they could use their English fluency to make enough money to stay alive? Or were they all open the Erwin was going to make money transporting or selling drugs, and they were going to go along with that? I don't get the basics of where the people were and what they were doing there.

This case is one I'd love to see solved. Unfortunately, the fact that the missing people were last known to be in Mexico makes it feel a little hopeless. I think it is much, much more difficult for investigators to do their work when they're not just looking within the US.

the fact that the missing people were last known to be in Mexico makes it feel a little hopeless. I think it is much, much more difficult for investigators to do their work when they're not just looking within the US.
The ID show really emphasized this point. I found it really harsh on the Mexican authorities. Maybe they really are understaffed, occupied with fighting organized crime, and are corrupt. It seems like the officers interviewed on the ID show went out of their way to say, "once you cross into Mexico we have no way to do anything." I'd like to think maybe those officers are working with their Mexican counterparts and trying to give the fugitives a false sense of security.

Interesting. On her Charley Project page, it says that authorities may know of her whereabouts. I wonder where they think she is?

That may have been when they were following the lead that the trio planned to live in Cancun, MX.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back