TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
did I chase everyone away? I have that affect on folks sometimes. Ususally just husbands, tho.

did I chase everyone away? I have that affect on folks sometimes. Ususally just husbands, tho.

LOL Inana!!! We're still here this is the boring part...and looks like they're breaking for lunch now! I hope Jamie is ok!!! What the heck is going on in that court room is right!!! :)

thanks steelergirl. Guess I'll work on a family tree until after lunch.

Oh no, Jamie passed out? Good time for a lunch break. I hope she feels better soon.

I'll be sitting here off an on. I can't turn on sound or put my headset on in case the workers need me for something. Thank you everyone for the updates.

KNOXVILLE - A Knox County judge said today he will allow a jury to decide the fate of torture-slaying suspect George Thomas, but he expressed misgivings about the strength of the state's case.

Criminal Court Judge Richard Baumgartner, in an unusual move, said he is reserving judgment on a defense bid to have the case thrown out.

Typically such defense motions are categorically overruled.

"This is certainly a different case than what was presented with regard to Mr. (Letalvis) Cobbins and Mr. (Lemaricus) Davidson," Baumgartner said.

"There is not the forensic evidence. There is no fingerprint evidence that directly links him to participation. There is no question he was there, that he was aware of what was going on. He was aware of what was going to happen at least in regards to Mr. (Christopher) Newsom.

"The question is did he participate in aiding the others in their conduct."

The judge earlier asked prosecutor Leland Price, "Where is the evidence to support culpability of premeditated murder?"

The judge said he would allow the jury, chosen from Hamilton County and being sequestered for the trial, to attempt to return a verdict.

By reserving judgment, he could still toss out part or all of the case if he believes the evidence does not back up whatever verdict the panel may return.

(full article at link)

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/dec/07/torture-slaying-trial-day-6-thomas-wont-testify-de/

:parrot:

I'll be sitting here off an on. I can't turn on sound or put my headset on in case the workers need me for something. Thank you everyone for the updates.

Hey Suzi!! You wanna handle Jamie and I'll handle WBIR? I lost the feed on WBIR, so hopefully it will be up when they get back from lunch, I really wanna hear these closing arguements. I hope like Haites that the state does a good job of connecting the dots during closing, leaving the jury with that on their minds. Praying hard for a good outcome on this one.

The prosecution says they have witness testimony and the defendant's actions to show that George Thomas had some involvement in the murders of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom.

Assistant District Attorney Leland Price said Daphne Sutton's testimony puts Thomas in the house at the time when Christian was stuff in the trash can.

Price also says Thomas running to Kentucky after the crimes is also and indication that he was involved in the crimes that ended Christian's and Chris Newsom's life.

The prosecutor says Thomas also told officers that he had an idea that "they had done something to 'old boy'," when Newsom was not brought back to 2316 Chipman Street.

Thomas Dillard says there is no evidence that Thomas joined in these crimes, and the size of the house does not matter.

Judge Richard Baumgartner says he has heard the proof many times, but it is "shocking" no matter how many times you hear it.

Baumgartner took note of the lack of forensic evidence against Thomas, but he said there is no doubt he was there and he was aware of what was going to happen and what was going on.

The judge said he is going to reserve making a decision on Thomas' request for acquittal and said he can even wait until after the jury announces their verdict to make a ruling on his acquittal...

(cont'd at link, incl'g explanation of "possession.")

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=107094&catid=2

Hey Suzi!! You wanna handle Jamie and I'll handle WBIR? I lost the feed on WBIR, so hopefully it will be up when they get back from lunch, I really wanna hear these closing arguements. I hope like Haites that the state does a good job of connecting the dots during closing, leaving the jury with that on their minds. Praying hard for a good outcome on this one.

Sure, I can do tweets.

IIRC, didn't GT say the reason he didn't leave is his "crew" said they needed to finish first? So he could have left and could have gotten help. But he needed to let his friends finish. And we know how they finished Channon off.

<snip>

KNOXVILLE - A Knox County judge said today he will allow a jury to decide the fate of torture-slaying suspect George Thomas, but he expressed misgivings about the strength of the state's case.

Criminal Court Judge Richard Baumgartner, in an unusual move, said he is reserving judgment on a defense bid to have the case thrown out.

Typically such defense motions are categorically overruled.

The judge earlier asked prosecutor Leland Price, "Where is the evidence to support culpability of premeditated murder?"

The judge said he would allow the jury, chosen from Hamilton County and being sequestered for the trial, to attempt to return a verdict.

By reserving judgment, he could still toss out part or all of the case if he believes the evidence does not back up whatever verdict the panel may return.

more here

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/dec/07/torture-slaying-trial-day-6-thomas-wont-testify-de/

I have a feeling the jury will only be out a couple of hours.

Was there any type of charge the pros could have gone with that would have better fit the evidence in this case? What charge is there for simply knowing about a crime and not acting to stop it?

http://twitter.com/wbirymartinez

Begins with Prosecutor Takisha Fitzgerald #cntrial
half a minute ago from web

Jury is in and closing arguments are beginning on George Thomas trial #cntrial
less than a minute ago from web

Was there any type of charge the pros could have gone with that would have better fit the evidence in this case? What charge is there for simply knowing about a crime and not acting to stop it?

That confuses me too, cause I would think that's where the facilitation comes in. :waitasec:

http://twitter.com/wbirymartinez

Fitzgerald says Freeman had a case of mistaken identity when she said she saw Channon Christian and Chris Newsom at gas station #cntrial
10 minutes ago from web

Fitzgerald asks the jury to give Ethel Lynn Freeman the benefit of the doubt. #cntrial
11 minutes ago from web

Fitzgerald is sharing the timeline of the crimes with the jury. #cntrial
13 minutes ago from web

Fitzgerald is remind the jurors that they told her they could find the defendant guilty in a circumstantial case #cntrial
13 minutes ago from web

TK has these horrific facts straight, and this timeline down, that's for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members