Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

The only thing I could think of with the ring was perhaps it was a momento or something taken by the fugitive she was with. It is possible they were engaging in petty theft or home robbery to get money. So...the ring could be a item stolen. Perhaps, she wore it in a wedding ring fashion to make them seem like a married couple...

I was able to trace three of the phone numbers on the phone bill.

* The 215 945 0131 belonged to a J--- A------ who lived on 7500 Knights Road in Bensalem PA in 1974. That address no longer exists. There is a chance that he obtained that number between 1970 and 1974, but he still had the same number in 1994 (and lived in Levittown at that time).

* The 615 244 4259 belonged to a B---- D----- of Nashville TN in 1994. He was born in 1935, and lived in the area all his life up to that point.

* The 716 834 1513 belonged to a C------ F. R--------- in 1994. He was born in 1921 and lived in the Buffalo/Tonawanda area all his life.

It's possible that they obtained those telephone numbers between 1970 and 1994 (or in the case of JA, between 1970 and 1974), but there would be no reason to do so if they had all lived in the area the entire time.

Looking in Ancestry, I found that BD and CFR both had younger sisters who would have been around 31 and 32 years old (respectively) in 1970. I was thinking that if the Jane Doe was calling a family member, she might be that sister listed. But I'm not sure how I would verify that at this point.

I would hope that LE already looked into that angle.

sheehy_denise.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sheehy_denise.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/sheehy_denise.html
http://missingme.2007.angelfire.com/denise_sheehy.html

Missing Since: July 07, 1970 from Woodside, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: February 20, 1954
Height: 5'3" (160 cm)
Weight: 103 lbs (47 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Denise has pierced ears.
Clothing: White, size XS, blue shorts. White, size 5 1/2, clog type sandals.
Jewelry: Gold ring with the initials DS, and Gold boys school ring.

On July 7th, 1970, Denise Sheehy had an argument with her mother at the dinner table. Angered, she got up and left the house, headed in an unknown direction. Initially, it was believed that Denise was simply angry and needed to cool off. She never came back and no one has seen or heard from her since.

Everything adds up except the age.

I was looking at her yesterday as well. The question I have: From two different sources, it appears in one only a skull (no mandible) was recovered. And in another it also says a body, with a fairly exact height, with hair. The question being: If it was a partial skull, with a gun shot wound, submerged in a bog...how accurate would the age range, etc be. Bogs do funny things to bodies, as mentioned earlier, so if it is just a partial damaged skull...could be a very good match. What is the status of the UID's remains?

Also, on the subjcet of bogs...there was an older women missing many years, with a green vehicle, etc...any chance this UID is not tied to this case and was preserved in the bog? This could be a dumping ground for someone or random location...especially if GC's remains were in a different state of decomp. Any ideas?

... it appears in one only a skull (no mandible) was recovered. And in another it also says a body, with a fairly exact height, with hair. The question being: If it was a partial skull, with a gun shot wound, submerged in a bog...how accurate would the age range, etc be. Bogs do funny things to bodies, as mentioned earlier, so if it is just a partial damaged skull...could be a very good match. What is the status of the UID's remains?

What they have in NamUs is a skull and mandible with no maxilla. Apparently, the bullet struck her below the nose, and destroyed her upper dentition.

I figure that the "skull only" comment in NamUs means that this is the only part of her that they kept, and they either buried or cremated the rest. It looks like they originally had a complete body, but they now only have a skull and mandible.

Also, on the subjcet of bogs...there was an older women missing many years, with a green vehicle, etc...any chance this UID is not tied to this case and was preserved in the bog?

No chance. Read this:
http://ct.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19800108_0042007.CT.htm/qx

After making plans to carry out the murders with Brant, DeFreitas lured the victims (Carmichael and our UID) back to his A-frame house on Shewville Road in Ledyard on December 31, 1970. The defendant shot Carmichael repeatedly and killed him; then Brant shot and killed the woman. Both the defendant and Brant described to Joanne Rainello and James Gardner how the shootings had taken place.

----------------

As an aside, Gustavous Lee Carmichael was aged 23/24 during 1970. His 'girlfriend' is unlikely to be the 35 max age limit given to the womans body.

She was using an assumed name "Lorraine Stahl" at the time of her death.

Also, Gustavous Lee Carmichael had used the following assumed names...
James L Billotte
Jr
Jack ?ougher (P, R, B)
James Leroy Burns
James Leroy Byrne
Frank J Howard
David Keating
Frank Powers
David Harold Skaggs
Shawn Liam Thompson
Dirk Stahl

Real documents for Dirk and Lorraine Stahl were provided to Carmichael by DeFreitas. I've been able to esablish that 3 of these people are real people (he has actually stolen their real paperwork) so I doubt the others are made up names and are probably real people too. He would have had to have come into contact with all of these people somehow to obtain their paperwork.

Also, given that Gustavous Lee Carmichael had escaped from custody at the beginning of October 1970 - he either only knew his girlfriend for a few months or knew her before he went into prison (and that date I haven't been able to establish yet). It would be interesting to know who visited/who he called whilst in prison.

Edited to add: http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...YIsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dc0EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6667,1163342 the newspaper article at the time of 'the great escape'. It sounds like they were going to court to be sentenced at the time of their escape so he hadn't been in prison very long at all.

I'm also calling in Denise Sheehy - worth a go I think.

I’ve tried to research this ring, too. It should still be identifiable, whether it is a clue to the identity of this person or not. All I’ve come up with is crumbs to muddy up the water, but hope it helps lead to some more definite clues. The sketch of the letters on the ring was done by “Balfor Jewelers.” I didn’t find a BJ on a quick search, but Balfour Inc is the largest, oldest maker of class and military rings. http://www.balfour.com/about/history/
In 1913, Lloyd Garfield Balfour took notice of the expanding number of students enrolling in college and the growing popularity of sororities and fraternities. He saw a unique opportunity and began Balfour, a company that manufactured and distributed high-quality fraternity and sorority jewelry to college campuses across the country. During WWI, Balfour was called upon to produce military insignia for the U.S. Armed Forces. After the war, we developed new product lines including high school and college rings, pins, commercial insignia, stationery, diplomas and awards.
So Balfour didn’t make high school rings in 1917. Were they the only makers of class rings then? I don’t know. Balfour rings are usually clearly marked with their Balfour insignia on the inside of the shank. At least, all the ones I’ve seen dating back to the 40s or so. So IF this is indeed the same Balfour that studied the initials, I’m inclined to think it is not a class ring. They are the experts. ( Herff Jones is the other major US class ring maker and they were not founded until 1920.) Also, if the S is for School, I don’t think it would be the dominate center letter.

But it could be a military ring. 1917 was the year America joined World War I. http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/worldwarioverview/a/wwi1917.htm Could this be a military mother’s ring? I wonder if the center vertical line is not part of an crude attempt to put a cross in the middle of 3 initials. With the possibility of a cross overlaying the initials, it could just be HSN with a fancy cursive hook on the H. And if S is the surname, then it would be HNS.

The inside initials: ILN - Google search for old English cursive font (no quotes) I did not see a font exactly like this one, but I did see that there is very little difference between an I and a J in almost all the search results. It looks like the Balfor Jeweler sketch includes the first inside initial, possibly due to the similarity of those 2 letters. ( And I hope it’s not just an I Love Nxxxx. engraving.)

this is from Wikipedia:

According to Martin (1918), the primary fraternal jewelers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries were D. L. Auld Co. of Columbus, L.G. Balfour Company of Attleboro, Mass., Burr, Patterson and Co. of Detroit, Upmeyer Company of Milwaukee, A. H. Fetting Co. of Baltimore, Hoover and Smith Co. of Philadelphia, O. C. Lanphear of Galesburg, Ill., Miller Jewelry Co. of Cincinnati, J. F. Newman of New York, Edward Roehm of Detroit, and Wright, Kay and Co. of Detroit. Currently the most widely used jewelers are Herff Jones and Jostens. Jewelers' initials and stampings are typically found on the back of pins along with the member name and/or chapter information. The history of fraternal jewelers is important when determining age of non-dated jewelry pieces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sororities#Pins_or_badges

I really took a good look at Denise Sheehy last night. I was going to suggest her and then my cable/internet went down due to the crazy storms we've had here. I tend to think that even though her age is not too far out of the estimate, it's far enough that it's probably not her, but she needs to be ruled out regardless. I was so surprised when I pulled up this thread today to see that someone had suggested her!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back