Confirmation Of Huckaby Suicide Attempt Prior to Arrest

They are going to blame it on a psych break or blame it on her meds:

She said she does not believe her granddaughter could have committed the crime, unless "some freakish thing happened."
She said her granddaughter had been taking some psychotropic medication.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090415/A_NEWS/904150329

arghhh, way to make excuses! psychotrops can cause many side effects, but I don't believe "child abduption, rape and murder" is one of them. take some freakin responsibility already, grandma!

I would like to see ONE CASE where psychiatric drugs caused a child's RAPE and murder. ONE CASE!

OMG! How could you even do such a thing? :eek::eek: The very thought is just gagging me - I can't stand it!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Salem

I said this in a previous thread so forgive the repeat - if you have any friends/family that have been a therapist or in mental health for a while, eventually they come across someone who injures themselves intentionally. My brother had a patient who swallowed spoons. SPOONS! and batteries! and things that would just tear apart her insides. she had to have surgery to remove them, and her throat was completely destroyed - she could barely talk. severely traumatized and/or abused humans can do some weird and painful things to themselves, which makes me want to fry their abusers even more...

I think this could actually HURT the insanity defense - hear me out. If her intent is to end her life, she's doing so because she feels GUILT for what she's done. meaning, she knows what she did was wrong. that's one of the things that makes the insanity defense - inability to know right from wrong. Guilt shows that you know you did something horribly wrong. Thus, no insanity defense - (at least, this is the angle I would play if I were the DA).

I think this could actually HURT the insanity defense - hear me out. If her intent is to end her life, she's doing so because she feels GUILT for what she's done. meaning, she knows what she did was wrong. that's one of the things that makes the insanity defense - inability to know right from wrong. Guilt shows that you know you did something horribly wrong. Thus, no insanity defense - (at least, this is the angle I would play if I were the DA).

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that testimony about a suicide attempt would be generally admissible in court as evidence of consciousness of guilt.

Any lawyers out there to clarify?

I would think it could backfire in court to use it as a sign of guilt. Once that door is opened, the defense could spin it easily into other things which could point to her not being held accountable for her actions.

We are already seeing the spin for drugs here and how they could cause her to "act out" etc. This is only one scenario I could see the defense trying to use to defend her.

They know the Insanity defense won't fly, imo.

arghhh, way to make excuses! psychotrops can cause many side effects, but I don't believe "child abduption, rape and murder" is one of them. take some freakin responsibility already, grandma!

I would like to see ONE CASE where psychiatric drugs caused a child's RAPE and murder. ONE CASE!

I haven't set out nor am trained to discount the use of psychiatric meds or psychotripic meds or drugs, but personally don't feel that they have been studied long enough to draw any conclusion about the ramifications of their use. I can't give you any case that sites the use of such meds as the root cause of rape or murder, but feel it's a legitamate course of questioning. If "idealation
of suicide" are one of the side effects of some of the meds, why would murder be any different?

I don't find it an excuse, I really wish there were answers.

Anyone who has ever ingested, swallowed, smoked or sipped a substance that altered their behavior, then they've taken a psychotropic/psychoactive drug.

Caffeine? Alcohol? Tobacco? The occasional sedative? Short term use of an anti-depressant? Something to help you sleep? Ease your pain? Analgesic? Reduce anxiety?

More often than not, very normal people are prescribed medicines for very common problems. They aren't disturbed, insane or "mentally ill". They are your next door neighbor, your boss, your mother, your sister, your brother, your son, your... self.

Anyone who is ready to assail this perpetrator for the medication she is on ought to think twice because chances are they themselves and/or those around them are or have used psychoactive substances at some point - and I'm sure they don't feel as though they deserve a negative label for doing so. Don't drink coffee if you're that against psychoactive drugs - because coffee IS one.

The majority of Americans have been given a psychotropic prescription or drug at some point in their lives - one of the most prescribed medications is the anti-depressant, and the numbers are only increasing.

If someone can PROVE that these medications cause people to murder, please offer your references, study and footnotes. It's true that many anti-depressants have been proven unsuitable for people under the age of 24, and they have been re-designated with new federal warnings as a result.

That doesn't mean that they cause murder or mayhem, but it does mean that anyone under a physicians' care needs to be monitored closely. Being monitored closely does not mean that they are insane, inadequate or nuts.

This country really needs to figure out how damaging its' stigmas are. There is no medication, drug or drink that would make me kill someone (unless the were attempting to kill my child - then all bets are off and I make no apologies for that) and that is true for most, almost all, people who have ever filled a prescription for a psychotropic drug or ingested a psychoactive substance.

Please, let's not be dumb about this.

paperwing, your points are very valid and thank you for addressing all the different psychotropic drugs. When I looked at the list of these drugs/meds, I was very suprised when I saw coffee, cigs, etc...

My biggest curiosity falls on the stronger meds (including some antidepressants). In my curiousity I only wonder if there are some long term effects on the brains chemistry that "we" aren't aware of. While the brain is still very unchartered, we're getting closer to knowing some of it's mysteries, but not all of them.

As I said, I don't want this to be an excuse for MH or anyone to "use" to excuse themselves from committing a crime.

There was a murder a year or so ago and the man's defense was Chantix- the quit smoking drug. It blocks receptors or something along that line in the brain and it was said that this med caused him to snap. I don't know the "rest of the story", but it's one of I'm sure many that meds are blamed. There are many stories on the web in relation to problems people have had while taking Paxil. Many of the stories don't make it to the mainstream media. Many of the stories could be made up. I just don't know if there is enough data supplied to completely discount the meds.

I'd make a terrible juror. :blowkiss:

From 2001

http://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/media/ssri/Paxil_murder.htm

From 2006

FDA Forgot a few ADHD Drug Related Deaths and Injuries

"For instance, on November 20, 1986, after being on Ritalin since the third grade, 14-year-old Rod Mathews lured a classmate, Shawn Ouillette, into a wooded area near his home in Canton, Massachusetts, under the pretense of a plan to build a snow fort, and beat him to death with a baseball bat.

Although he had no prior history of violence, Rod beat Shawn until he died and just left the body in the woods. Rod took two friends to see the body, and threatened them with the same fate if they told anyone about the murder."

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/00103/adhd_fda.html

I am not sure if these are reputable articles or not. There are pages and pages of links by googling.

Well... we had heard that she had internal bleeding, there were rumors of
the razor blade scenario, and since her arrest we have heard the make up
of a person seemingly capable of doing the most unimaginable deeds a person
could do.

How far a throw is it to conceive that she would swallow x-acto blades?

Not far if you ask me, what her intent in doing it was, is another thing
all together.

With the almost 'not even on the chart' statistics of her crime, why
would it so even be a gasp of interpretation that she could do something
to herself that is almost as equally out of the norm as her crime.

She just doesn't fall into the norm in seemingly any perspective.

Really, that's about it, and all the thought it took for me.

-Cranston-

What article are you discussing.. I saw your refrence it but there was no link.. could you post a link? I'd like to read it, TIA!

Anyone who has ever ingested, swallowed, smoked or sipped a substance that altered their behavior, then they've taken a psychotropic/psychoactive drug.

Caffeine? Alcohol? Tobacco? The occasional sedative? Short term use of an anti-depressant? Something to help you sleep? Ease your pain? Analgesic? Reduce anxiety?

More often than not, very normal people are prescribed medicines for very common problems. They aren't disturbed, insane or "mentally ill". They are your next door neighbor, your boss, your mother, your sister, your brother, your son, your... self.

Anyone who is ready to assail this perpetrator for the medication she is on ought to think twice because chances are they themselves and/or those around them are or have used psychoactive substances at some point - and I'm sure they don't feel as though they deserve a negative label for doing so. Don't drink coffee if you're that against psychoactive drugs - because coffee IS one.

The majority of Americans have been given a psychotropic prescription or drug at some point in their lives - one of the most prescribed medications is the anti-depressant, and the numbers are only increasing.

If someone can PROVE that these medications cause people to murder, please offer your references, study and footnotes. It's true that many anti-depressants have been proven unsuitable for people under the age of 24, and they have been re-designated with new federal warnings as a result.

That doesn't mean that they cause murder or mayhem, but it does mean that anyone under a physicians' care needs to be monitored closely. Being monitored closely does not mean that they are insane, inadequate or nuts.

This country really needs to figure out how damaging its' stigmas are. There is no medication, drug or drink that would make me kill someone (unless the were attempting to kill my child - then all bets are off and I make no apologies for that) and that is true for most, almost all, people who have ever filled a prescription for a psychotropic drug or ingested a psychoactive substance.

Please, let's not be dumb about this.

Excellent post!

From 2001

http://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/media/ssri/Paxil_murder.htm

From 2006

FDA Forgot a few ADHD Drug Related Deaths and Injuries

"For instance, on November 20, 1986, after being on Ritalin since the third grade, 14-year-old Rod Mathews lured a classmate, Shawn Ouillette, into a wooded area near his home in Canton, Massachusetts, under the pretense of a plan to build a snow fort, and beat him to death with a baseball bat.

Although he had no prior history of violence, Rod beat Shawn until he died and just left the body in the woods. Rod took two friends to see the body, and threatened them with the same fate if they told anyone about the murder."

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/00103/adhd_fda.html

I am not sure if these are reputable articles or not. There are pages and pages of links by googling.

Omg, I remember this case... I think it was on dateline or something, the kid had major issues prior to being on Paxil. Though I admit Paxil, IMO is much like Halcion and after prolonged use (or use in children) can cause anger issues in some people. However, neither drug takes away free-will or the ability to know right from wrong or reason properly and choose.

This might be on the wrong thread, but there was some discussion of Munchausen's by Proxy and I wondered if the person suffering from Munchausen's ever turns the attacks back toward themselves to keep the attention on them? I am kind of wondering this because she led the police to her with her suitcase and seems to have been inserting herself into this case rather than laying low and avoiding the limelight (like it seems many murderers do)?

Swallowing razor blade type objects seems like an odd way to attempt suicide?

I still can't figure out how a person swallows a razor, wrapped or not, and doesn't cut off their uvula (the hanging down thing in the throat)?

Absolutely, it's called Munchausen's. It is a factitious disorder.. some simply fake symptoms, others create them, at any cost.. literally. Unneeded tests, surgical procedures, medications, you name it. and it's all for attention, recognition. Life isn't going your way? Pretend you are sick, better yet, make yourself sick! More often than not those with a history of Munchausen's or Munchausen's like behaviors have a personality disorder or two.

I really think she was getting rid of the evidence, and/or being made to get rid of the evidence, and/or being punished by her grandparents. Now is the time to have a fireside chat with GRANDMA LAWLESS, and no, do not take her up on an offer of some tea and cookies. As for if she survived being horribly molested herself at a young age, we know that is hardly an excuse.

MH was able to give birth to a child. Not to compare sexual abuse which is all horrific, but there is that class of sexual abuse on females and males which prevents any conception from ever talking place. Talk about unspeakable.

In any case, we check out the statistics of how many females are the victims of a sexual crime in the US - I think last night it was 1 in 5. That makes tens of millions of people whose take away is to work to PREVENT that from ever happening to anyone else. Much less a child.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13262766

STOCKTON — Melissa Huckaby acted strangely and apparently tried to harm herself in the days leading up to her last court appearance, San Joaquin County Court records show.

The 28-year-old Tracy woman is accused of kidnapping, raping and killing Sandra Cantu, her 8-year-old neighbor, and drugging two other people in cases unrelated to Sandra's. Huckaby, whose 5-year-old daughter was Sandra's playmate, is being held without bail at the San Joaquin County Jail.

Jail records in Huckaby's court file said that two days before her most recent court hearing on Aug. 17, Huckaby was found hiding behind the mattress in her cell with a blanket tied around her neck. She was taken to the safety cell, the records showed, and later that day she refused to eat dinner.

On Aug. 12, a deputy reported seeing Huckaby sitting next to her bed with a trash can. When asked what was wrong Huckaby replied, "I took pills."

She was taken by ambulance for treatment. That incident took place about an hour and half after she was found lying on the floor in her cell. She told the deputy that she had felt dizzy and passed out. Huckaby was checked by a nurse, and psychiatric staff was called to the scene.

Huckaby had two unexplained scratches on her forehead when she showed up Aug. 17 to hear the five-count indictment against her. Deputy District Attorney Thomas Testa asked the judge during that hearing to order Huckaby to attend all her court hearings.

I bet she's a handful to supervise. I also think a lot of this is because she doesn't want to face the consequences of her actions.

I understand she might have some underlying mental illness but she was functioning just fine when she was giving interviews to the media while the search for Sandra was ongoing.

I have very little sympathy for her, she made her bed she needs to cut the antics out and woman up.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13262766

STOCKTON — Melissa Huckaby acted strangely and apparently tried to harm herself in the days leading up to her last court appearance, San Joaquin County Court records show.

The 28-year-old Tracy woman is accused of kidnapping, raping and killing Sandra Cantu, her 8-year-old neighbor, and drugging two other people in cases unrelated to Sandra's. Huckaby, whose 5-year-old daughter was Sandra's playmate, is being held without bail at the San Joaquin County Jail.

Jail records in Huckaby's court file said that two days before her most recent court hearing on Aug. 17, Huckaby was found hiding behind the mattress in her cell with a blanket tied around her neck. She was taken to the safety cell, the records showed, and later that day she refused to eat dinner.

On Aug. 12, a deputy reported seeing Huckaby sitting next to her bed with a trash can. When asked what was wrong Huckaby replied, "I took pills."

She was taken by ambulance for treatment. That incident took place about an hour and half after she was found lying on the floor in her cell. She told the deputy that she had felt dizzy and passed out. Huckaby was checked by a nurse, and psychiatric staff was called to the scene.

Huckaby had two unexplained scratches on her forehead when she showed up Aug. 17 to hear the five-count indictment against her. Deputy District Attorney Thomas Testa asked the judge during that hearing to order Huckaby to attend all her court hearings.

I have no sympathy for Melissa and her histrionics... None, zilch, nada...

I have no sympathy either, Harmony. She is a waste of space IMO

all of her "attempts" are so contrived and lame. if you're gonna kill yourself, do it already and stop playing attention games...like someone above said, i bet she is a nightmare to supervise at the jail...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back