Drew Peterson heads to trial. Jury selection begins Monday July 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
A man in his 20s or 30s who is single and lives with his parents. He was laid off a few months ago from a job as a cashier and bagger. He spends five to 10 hours a week on the Internet, reads science fiction novels and works out regularly. He said he doesn’t know anything about the Peterson case.

He sounds great! He'll vote guilty, I bet.

The defense lawyers are horrible, and far too cocky. A bit like their client really...

I work out of the Will County Courthouse about 2 days a week. I'm a paralegal and I've recently been working in Will more so than Cook.

I'd like to offer some FWIW info. on Drew - in WCADF (the jail) he is a celebrity (much more so than Vaughn, I can't think of his first name, also there for years on a murder case, along with a woman, Escutia...those are the long-timers.). He has his own cell in the Medical Unit because he's so high-risk for retaliation (cop). This means his own TV (granted, the whole unit watches the same channel - usually AMC, so my clients tell me LOL). He does NOT have it bad there IMO. I think that Drew thinks this is going to be his ultimate preening exercise, that this trial is all about his publicity, his fame, etc. and other various delusions of grandeur.

In reality, it's about justice.

As a sidenote, I'd like to mention this: Judge Burmilla is an exceedingly fair judge. Take that any way you want - but he follows the letter of the law, to a 't', in my book. Judge Policandriotes (formerly Judge Alessio) was on this case, before, but IIRC Brodsky had her removed. .She woulda been a nightmare for Drew IMO - she's vicious. Fair, but more prone to side with the victim, to feel for the prosecution.

Judge Burmilla will do precisely what the law tells him to. In THIS case, that scares me, because I think Drew has about a 40% chance of walking.

FWIW.

His own cell in the medical unit? Hmm, interesting. I have met a few people who have mentioned their passings with Drew, including ISP, but nothing remarkable to speak of. Mostly that he is a well behaved inmate who doesn't mingle with the other inmates because nothing he says will remain confidential.

I'm not sure what to think with regards to whether or not he'll walk. No sunshine laws here, so we'll have to wait and see. I honestly don't a feeling one way or the other regarding the possible outcome.

I work out of the Will County Courthouse about 2 days a week. I'm a paralegal and I've recently been working in Will more so than Cook.

I'd like to offer some FWIW info. on Drew - in WCADF (the jail) he is a celebrity (much more so than Vaughn, I can't think of his first name, also there for years on a murder case, along with a woman, Escutia...those are the long-timers.).

That would be Christopher Vaughn. I always want to call him Craig. I think for awhile there I mixed his first name up with Craig Stebic's. All 3 cases, Lisa Stebic's, The Vaughn Family and Drew Peterson happened within a few months of each other when I was still a newbie here at WS.

It's been a long wait. If I had to pick, I am a little more interested in the Vaughn case than I am Drew's cases..... I think because Vaughn's case happened at almost the same time Bobby Cutts murdered Jessie Marie Davis. Bobby Cutts was tried and sentenced ages ago. So long ago, Jessie's forum is already archived. So now we have some additional insight into why the state of IL is broke when it takes other states months to bring cases to trial and in IL it takes a half decade. Jessie Marie Davis forum here:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

The Vaughn case thread is here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50697"]Vaughn Family Found Dead in SUV - Husband charged thread #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I'd like to offer some FWIW info. on Drew - in WCADF (the jail) he is a celebrity (much more so than Vaughn, I can't think of his first name, also there for years on a murder case, along with a woman, Escutia...those are the long-timers.). He has his own cell in the Medical Unit because he's so high-risk for retaliation (cop). This means his own TV (granted, the whole unit watches the same channel - usually AMC, so my clients tell me LOL). He does NOT have it bad there IMO. I think that Drew thinks this is going to be his ultimate preening exercise, that this trial is all about his publicity, his fame, etc. and other various delusions of grandeur.

As a sidenote, I'd like to mention this: Judge Burmilla is an exceedingly fair judge. Take that any way you want - but he follows the letter of the law, to a 't', in my book. Judge Policandriotes (formerly Judge Alessio) was on this case, before, but IIRC Brodsky had her removed. .She woulda been a nightmare for Drew IMO - she's vicious. Fair, but more prone to side with the victim, to feel for the prosecution.

Judge Burmilla will do precisely what the law tells him to. In THIS case, that scares me, because I think Drew has about a 40% chance of walking.

FWIW.

I was thinking that might be the case.

Some people move through the world like that, untouched.

It can be disheartening.

FWIW.

Thanks for your insight on this case. I'm hoping for better odds when it comes to a conviction. I really believe that if acquitted, Drew Peterson would soon marry again for the 5th time, and within a few years she too would simply disappear. From all we've read in the almost 5 years since Stacy disappeared, I think it's possible that Peterson might have more victims than Kathleen and Stacy.

A few thoughts:

1. DP must be upset that no cameras are in the courtroom. They are taking his stage away from him and he must not be pleased about it. A-hole.

2. The pros are going to have to keep Valium at hand at all times. With such a jerk of a defendant and such eeeky lawyers, I hope they do not lose their temper.

Wish I felt more confident going into this trial. :please:

A few thoughts:

1. DP must be upset that no cameras are in the courtroom. They are taking his stage away from him and he must not be pleased about it. A-hole.

2. The pros are going to have to keep Valium at hand at all times. With such a jerk of a defendant and such eeeky lawyers, I hope they do not lose their temper.

Wish I felt more confident going into this trial. :please:

It can be tedious watching the reporters scurry out to the cameras when there's a break. I'm all for universal Sunshine laws.

Unless he testifies, the judge could stipulate no shots of DP. I must be playing Fantasy Trial, like Fantasy Football.

It can be tedious watching the reporters scurry out to the cameras when there's a break. I'm all for universal Sunshine laws.

Unless he testifies, the judge could stipulate no shots of DP. I must be playing Fantasy Trial, like Fantasy Football.

Fantasy Trial, omg :floorlaugh:

Will Drew Peterson trial hinge on 3 documents?

By Caitlyn Treem
updated 10:31 AM EDT, Thu July 26, 2012

NEED TO KNOW
  • Drew Peterson is on trial for death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio
  • Three documents may be key in the trial
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/07/25/glimpe-some-drew-peterson-evidence

Interesting article. The documents are linked at the above article.
Reading Drew's letter to the media. What a :dramaqueen:. In fact Drew and his team of defense attorney's are all :dramaqueen: :dramaqueen: :dramaqueen: :dramaqueen:.

In re: to socialization with other inmates - he's segregated in the 'M' pod (medical) and unable to socialize even if he wanted to, except for the pod workers who bring him his meals. He can, and does, wave to the females who are in the M pod (which is an all-glass room, creepy looking IMO, with a desk in the center ...and the CO's can see in, 24/7.) There is no conversation because they are between glass. He is on full display for any other inmates who happen to have a cell located at a strategic angle.

This is O/T, but I have to share: About a year ago, a client was telling me this story re: his time as a pod worker. It was in no way confidential, it was an anecdotal story, and I share it simply as some comic relief....there was an inmate on the 2nd floor of the M pod, across from Drew, who was upset with the staff. His reaction? To paint the walls with his....er....poop. You know what they named him? Poo-caso.

If you ever ask ANY WCADF guard about poo-caso, they will know. We've all heard the stories - hahaha. I've been in WCADF many times, but luckily, never seen this.

Note: Visitation for family/friends takes place via CCTV but legal takes place in the WCADF near the A pod (intake).

The trial finally starts on Tuesday, thank goodness! Guess they cannot have court on Monday because everyone hates Monday. Tuesday is good, but not Wednesday because it's 'hump day.' Thursday is good, but not Friday because it is the day the weekend starts. Just joking, but I do get frustrated with how many small delays there are.

I should be thankful there is a trial at all, I suppose. DP has led a charmed life of getting away with whatever he chose to do. Hope this trial puts the brakes on that.

Looking forward to Tuesday..................

I am just jumping in...

Have they hung him yet?

Or as my southern friend says..
"Hangin's too good for him...
He oughta be shot!"

:cowboy:

Looks like Drew Peterson is calling the 'shots' in his defense case. Happy to see this as it doesn't usually work well for the defendant.

Agreed, Tipstaff! I wonder how long & how far the LEO's will go to serve the witness subpoena on Stacy????
icon6.gif
grrrrrr

Heard on IS that Drew is his own Jury Consultant

fwiw

If IS has the facts right, then I must comment(!).:what:

Just who's running the Defense Team anyway??

Is there no limit to this man's love of himself? What gall!! :maddening:

My understanding of the hearsay stuff, is that some was ruled out. I think, the way I am hearing it, the prosecution wants the judge to say yes info will be admitted now, before the trial starts.

How I interepreted what I heard on AM 780 WBBM radio was the judge will make the decision as to whether certain hearsay information will be admissable as the prosecution presents it during trial.

I could sware I heard the newscaster on 'BBM say earlier this afternoon (paraphrased from memory) the judge said the prosecution could bring it in but the defense could still object.

anyone else listening to 'BBM? What are they hearing?

bbm
That's the same way I understood it to be, too, Cubby! I heard that the judge did not want to rule on the statements, etc., all in one "hunk."
He said he preferred to rule on it as it was presented if the defense made an objection.

Yes Cubby, that is the way I remember it also, that some was going to be allowed but some was not.

As far as cameras and Illinois, they are allowed I know as there is a local murder trial that they are allowing cameras (Nicolas Sheeley trial) and I want to say this was the first Illinois trial that they are allowing them. I know they are allowing them, just not certain that it's the first Illinois trial.

Please please please, let's get this creeper convicted and settled into a really nice Illinois prison. I want to see that smugly grin wiped off his chin.

bbm
I surely don't want to jinx anything, but I would love to see that swagger go away when the LEO's waltz him into prison. I'm sure he would have a lot of friends and big fan club in the Big House...
icon10.gif

I so agree! I expect that when Stacy is called to the stand and doesn't show up, the defense will ask for her to be cited for contempt of court. :banghead:

Very good point, Leila!

Further, when the Defense states, "Defense calls Stacy Peterson," I expect the whole defense table to turn around & look for her to come walking in the door. Perfect Perry Mason moment. :maddening: Grrrrrrr.

Jury selection begins in Drew Peterson trial

Peterson, his trademark mustache shaved off, stood and spoke to some 40 potential jurors as jury selection began Monday.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen, I'm Mr. Peterson," he said in a steady voice.

http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/56430820?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

Is that normal protocol for a defendant to introduce themselves to potential jurors?

bbm

I'll answer that with an entirely irrelevant statement: Not in North Carolina!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288