OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the Mom's husband had an enemy, considering he is a Police Officer. I just think Kyron was targeted for some reason and there was such a small window of opportunity.

These are just examples of how kids can get "overlooked" .
My oldest,was about 7 or 71/2, and on a "camping trip" with Brownies (young girl scouts). Well,camping was at a hotel..lol.They had 4 or so rooms and there were maybe 4 girls and a chaperone to each room.The following morning they were all gathered in one room ,getting ready to go to breakfast. My daughter goes into the bathroom,comes out,and everyone is GONE !! So she leaves the room and I don't recall if she wandered looking for them or what happened exactly. Anyway, some woman sees her and she tells the woman that she is looking for her Brownie Troop. The woman takes her down to the lobby and there are 2 of the chaperones, frantically searching for her. I believe they were about to go up to the room to look . Anyhowe, thank God my daughter was OK. Of course, i was miffed, but I couln't really blame anyone.
This school year, my younger daughter was in a few activities toward the end of the year ,which parents were invited to. Thiese were all in the afternoon. The first one I attended was cutting really close to another appointment I had, so as soon as it was over, I left the room (it was a music room ) I was walking toward the large hall/open lunchrrom area when my daughter comes up behind me. She asks if I'm taking her home Or if she's taking the bus (which wouln't be for another 45 mins ) I told her I had an appointment and that I didn't realize she could leave. Since she still needed to go get her things in her class, I told her to just take the bus,since I was running late.
On the last day of school she had another performance which myself and her older sister attended. at the end of the performance, we were told the students could go home with us. Of course many parents took the kiddos home. My child wanted to stay. I don't recall how the teachers were supposed to know who was leaving, but most parents told the teachers. Maybe there was a sign out sheet. This was also an hour or so before school was to get out officially. AND nobody brought backpacks on the last day. So it was just sign out and take your child. This event was in the school library. As for signing in those days.....for parents and visitors...there were tags ALREADY MADE UP ,. in the front office . Since there were a few different activities going on at once, all I and my older dd needed to do was take a tag that had LIB on it. There were others for Volunteer, Party, Etc.
AND THIS IS A SCHOOL THAT IS NORMALLY VERY VIGILANT. I am not saying that Kyron's school isn't. I am pointing out that even the most vigilant schools drop their guard sometimes.
This is also not a grammer school, but a 5th 6th grade campus. So the students are not really as young as Kyron, but still kind of young.
Last thing I wanted to say is that because of all the activities, I could have easily asked someone to give my child a ride, or had another parent's permission to take their child to my house and the school would not have really known. Especially if we met in the hall on the way out and made plans. ( I ran into 3 or 4 moms we know who were on the way in when we were leaving, who have a child in another class and their child did not participatein the event my daughter did )
I hope everyone gets what I am pointing out. Things can get VERY mixed up when there is a lot going on.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007198-504083.html

Gates said nearly all of the students at the school have been interviewed, as well as the majority of the faculty and staff. He said that investigators "have no reason to believe this is anything but an isolated case," and that area families need not take extra precautions with their children.

I know this doesn't help find him, but I find this guy's statement ridiculous. You can bet I would definitely take extra precautions with my child if I lived here. They don't know what happened yet. jmo Rant over.

Right?? I don't even live there and its made me even more vigilant than before!!

Here's a pretty informative article about school absence procedures. What it tells me is that even if Skyline had used the automated reporting to parents, they still might not have been notified until it was too late.

There HAS to be a reason that Kyron's teacher wasn't concerned about his absence. She knew that he had been in class. Probably on any other day, say, if they had gone to lunch and then returned and he was not there, she would have been alarmed.

But why, on this day, was she not alarmed about him not being at his desk? That's part of the answer to this perplexing mystery, I think.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/jun/09/missing-child-a-wake-up-call-for-local-officials/

bbm - i agree, pufnstuf, i am not putting blame on the teacher exactly, but i do wonder why she didnt become alarmed when Kyron's jacket and pack were there but he was not? most teachers i know would not just "assume" anything under those conditions. i just got here today tho and i havent read to the end yet so i hope there is some news since this morning. i pray this little boy comes home safe and sound, but i fear that wont be the case :(

NOthing new I'm afraid. Just us sleuthy types, going round and round over the same sparse facts.

Maybe the Mom's husband had an enemy, considering he is a Police Officer. I just think Kyron was targeted for some reason and there was such a small window of opportunity.

It seems like either Kyron was targeted or lost, seeing its an isolated case.
Very small window. I want LE to say more, but for obvious reasons I don't/

I'm not at work today (obviously--lol) as I teach part-time (job share) but an email just came out from our Principal about the Skyline situation and Kyron's disappearance down south of us. We're addressing school security policies again in our Fri staff meeting. We have one of the tightest school safety systems as it is here (and at my dd's school), but it's nice to hear that we're going to review everything again. I NEVER see this kind of meeting as an inconvenience at all----it is so important!! I wish that every school in the country would meet to trouble-shoot their security policies on a regular basis. JMO...

Since we really have no clue what profilers and LE think may have happened (was it a kidnapping for ransom, blackmail, a personal vendetta against the family, for example) I think that there is the possibility that either stepmother or LE posted the gym comment to flush out or bait the perp.

GREAT POINT. I saw the gym comment as well...

bbm - i agree, pufnstuf, i am not putting blame on the teacher exactly, but i do wonder why she didnt become alarmed when Kyron's jacket and pack were there but he was not? most teachers i know would not just "assume" anything under those conditions. i just got here today tho and i havent read to the end yet so i hope there is some news since this morning. i pray this little boy comes home safe and sound, but i fear that wont be the case :(

I have been inside all three of my children's elementary school classrooms over past 15 years and I don't find it odd at all the teacher wouldn't be alarmed by a backpack or coat left in a cubby, or on a chair, or on the floor, or on a desk, or really just about anywhere. It can be chaotic even on normal days, and even when procedures for daily grind are in place. The cubby area can get cluttered and messy depending on the rigidness of the teacher and the diligence of the students. I am sure that it is likely that many times a student may leave a backpack or coat at school. I am positive that my daughter's extra sneakers are in her classroom somewhere right now, and she always has an extra sweater or sweatshirt on her hook.

I personally don't think it would set off any alarms for me.

It seems like either Kyron was targeted or lost, seeing its an isolated case.
Very small window. I want LE to say more, but for obvious reasons I don't/

They could be saying "isolated case" -- as to not cause a widespread panic in the community.

If they knew exactly what has happened to Kyron or where he was -- they would send the full extent of the law to recover him. (In my opinion)

My principal told us this stoy. A few weeks ago she got a frantic call from a mom saying her son didn't get off the bus. As the principal was on the phone with the mom she called the bus service, they got a hold of the bus driver and sure enough the child was on the bus sleeping. The bus driver didn't see the child. They found the child within minutes of the mom calling. I can't imagine how scared they all were, but they handled it professionally and quickly. I can't imagine that fear they went through and everyone who is involved with Kyron. Many to the moons and back sad.

That's how I feel too Triple A. There is so much stuff in a classroom that it could go unnoticed.

I don't blame the teacher (or mother). School security measures are very faulty.

I have been inside all three of my children's elementary school classrooms over past 15 years and I don't find it odd at all the teacher wouldn't be alarmed by a backpack or coat left in a cubby, or on a chair, or on the floor, or on a desk, or really just about anywhere. It can be chaotic even on normal days, and even when procedures for daily grind are in place. The cubby area can get cluttered and messy depending on the rigidness of the teacher and the diligence of the students. I am sure that it is likely that many times a student may leave a backpack or coat at school. I am positive that my daughter's extra sneakers are in her classroom somewhere right now, and she always has an extra sweater or sweatshirt on her hook.

I personally don't think it would set off any alarms for me.

I sort of agree. It's easy to monday morning quarterback this, but remember to SM, Kyron, Teacher and everyone else, this was just a normal (albeit hectic)chaotic day in the elementary school year. Some days at my house its like a whirlwind and if I had to remember a little detail 8 hours later I might say " Oh Yeah" but in the moment you may not.

Do I have everything we have about sightings of Kyron in Skyline that morning?

WHEN/WHERE LAST SEEN:

“His stepmother said she last saw him at 8:45 a.m. Friday. She watched him walk toward his classroom after the pair toured the school's science fair.”
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/still_no_trace_of_kyron_horman.html

Multnomah County Sheriff's Capt. Jason Gates said Kyron's stepmother brought him to school for a school science fair and last saw Kyron near his classroom at about 8:45 a.m.

Tanner Pumala, Kyron's classmate, said he last saw his friend at about the same time when Kyron told him he was headed to look at another student's science project. http://www.kptv.com/news/23842774/detail.html

Shelby said that Porter saw Kyron in her classroom with his stepmom before 8:45 a.m. and another instructor reported seeing him in another classroom at some point. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

Kyron was last seen by someone inside the school around 9 am (LE won’t comment on who saw him)
(According to Press Conf. 6/7)
Another reporter asks for further clarification of earlier time line statements by LE
"I can't answer your question completely, but I can say the last point at which Kyron was seen was about 9:00 am, but uh . . ." (Then the reporter cuts him off.)
Later on, a reporter asks if the last sighting was by the stepmother or someone else: "I'm not able to give those details."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4P3vGDow8[/ame]
Transcribed: "He was seen near his classroom, and the last point was down at the south entrance door of the school."

Hello to our 98 GUESTS! :woohoo: It is great to see so many interested in Kyron's case!

Allow me to welcome everyone and invite you to become members of Websleuths! It is easy to join and we'd love to hear your opinions!!!

Smiley02.gif
Smiley02.gif
Smiley02.gif

I went back and this part of this article kinda jumped out at me

"He's not real adventurous," she said. "He's a little timid. But if a friend wanted to go outside and look at something, he would follow the friend. He has a friend who he regularly gets in trouble with in the classroom because he talks too much."

I could see one of my kids following a friend on an "adventure"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member